Top cut limit

tanker

Aspiring Trainer
So, as many of you know today was the first day of states. It came to my attention that at Ohio states today there were 217 masters!!!! This is a lot more then what we had last year, probally because of the 3 states weekend, but anyway there was only a top 16. This is not fair to the masters that were at Ohio states, Im a senior by the way but have many master friends. POP needs to take away the limit for states, it is abserd that 217 masters only had a top 16 cut.

That seems pretty odd, I've never played at a bigger tournament such as States but being a Master that seems pretty unfair and I'd be bummed to miss top cut especially since there were probably numerous Masters with the same records as those that did get the top spots.

Yeah, at OR we had 180ish Masters. Still a significant amount less than OH, but a top 16 is rather silly for that many players. I can understand though, simply for time constraints and uniformity.

The correct way to fix this is to add rounds. Typically, touranments only have 7 rounds. Each round is basically equivalent to a round of top cut. For events that have 190something people, 8 rounds top 16 or 7 rounds top 32 would both be acceptable. PTOs should know this, and they should adjust based on this. Sadly, Trish from AZ is the only PTO I know who adjusts for rounds based on maximum top cut.

Good luck on your next States and I hope you guys didn't whiff too badly

217 people is closer to a top 64 cut than a top 32 and we had a top 16 cut, 'nuff said...i played in a magic tourney yesterday ;)

California is pretty used to it. It's been pushing 250 for Masters for a while now, and we only have a Top 16 as well. If you get into any top cuts in California States or Regionals, it's a big deal.

is 16 a nationwide limit? or is it new to this year? IIRC, we had a top 32 cut at Wisconsin states last year. (Jesus it took forever to finish. Playing Pokémon till like 2 AM. >_> )

That being said, the limit might be because of time purposes. People generally don't want to stay up until 3 AM hosting a tournament, and we don't have a weekend like we do with Nationals where we had top 128. I remember a Battle Roads that went until 8 PM once, and it wasn't until after that tournament that time limits were added to top cut in my area at all. (lol plox mirror matches.)

Zero said:
The correct way to fix this is to add rounds. Typically, touranments only have 7 rounds. Each round is basically equivalent to a round of top cut. For events that have 190something people, 8 rounds top 16 or 7 rounds top 32 would both be acceptable. PTOs should know this, and they should adjust based on this. Sadly, Trish from AZ is the only PTO I know who adjusts for rounds based on maximum top cut.

Good luck on your next States and I hope you guys didn't whiff too badly
We had like 160 in OR, 8 rounds top 16. It wasn't enough imo. That's way too many people not to cut to a top 32.

Back