Too many energy types ruin the game?

I don't understand why more types is necessarily bad. I don't think we need more, but yeah.

And you said something about not being able to use a ton of different types of Pokemon? No one will make a deck with only their favorites in it. It would never run well - even a non-competitive player could see that. If you do want to go with favorites, you'd probably rather just focus on your absolute favorite Pokemon and build around that one, instead of trying to fit all of your favorites in one deck.

I dont personally see a problem with them adding in the rest of the games' types as cards- just keeping the basic energy we have now. Where as ICE type would still require WATER energy but would have a different weakness and resistance than WATER type cards.

I realize that water and ice types DO already have different weaknesses in the card game, but I think the TCG really needs to get back into resistances and adding new card types could allow them to make a more fleshed out type chart- and would really add to strategy and less "Mono type" decks. You could run water type and ice type cards with the same energy requirements and tech in some electric or even fire types with a few energies for those.

I also think its non-sense that there are so many cards out now that have no resistance at all, when they should clearly have something. Resistances should be a staple with all types, not just types like steel and dark.

Bug types could use grass energy, but be resistant to grass type cards.
Ghost types could still use psychic type energy and resist psychic types.
Rock types would use fighting and resist fire etc. etc.

If more types and resistances were available I believe it would add to the variety of strategy which could be used in deck building, as long as said new types still used existing energy like the Dragon type cards.

NoDice said:
I don't personally see a problem with them adding in the rest of the games' types as cards- just keeping the basic energy we have now. Where as ICE type would still require WATER energy but would have a different weakness and resistance than WATER type cards.

I realize that water and ice types DO already have different weaknesses in the card game, but I think the TCG really needs to get back into resistances and adding new card types could allow them to make a more fleshed out type chart- and would really add to strategy and less "Mono type" decks. You could run water type and ice type cards with the same energy requirements and tech in some electric or even fire types with a few energies for those.

I also think its non-sense that there are so many cards out now that have no resistance at all, when they should clearly have something. Resistances should be a staple with all types, not just types like steel and dark.

Bug types could use grass energy, but be resistant to grass type cards.
Ghost types could still use psychic type energy and resist psychic types.
Rock types would use fighting and resist fire etc. etc.

If more types and resistances were available I believe it would add to the variety of strategy which could be used in deck building, as long as said new types still used existing energy like the Dragon type cards.

Although I prefer that they didn't make separate frame colors for ice and water types, or bug and grass types etc, I wouldn't mind if they did so, as long as they don't make a brand new basic energy type. The existing 8 is enough.

They could make bug and grass different shades of green, Ice and water different shades of blue, and rock fighting and ground different shades of brown, such as orange for fighting, tan for ground, and brown for rock. The reason for the different shades of the same color, is because if you look at a blue water type, and a light blue ice type, you know that they both require water energy, but you can tell them apart that one is weak against grass and strong against fire, and one is weak against fire but strong against grass.

There could be 17 symbols that are represented on the upper right corner of the card denoting the pokemon type, and also the bottom where the resistance and weaknesses are, but I would prefer if they did not add anymore new symbols beyond the 9 in the place where the energy costs are.

The main argument I was making was mainly that adding more types that require their own basic energy, that is, they printed more basic energy types, would ultimately ruin the game.

Back