Too many energy types ruin the game?

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
Do you think that having too many energy types, that is a type with its own basic energy would ultimately ruin Pokemon TCG?

I think yes, because:

1. It ultimately makes it harder to get the cards you want in booster packs, and to make a sizeable collection of a certain type is much harder because that one type is diluted in a sea of the other types.

2. Adding even more types does NOT add to gameplay. All it does is change the weakness and resistance interaction, and it mearly would be a rock paper scissors game, rather than each type having its own unique gameplay element. The way you interact with fire type cards are no different to the way you interact with Lightning type cards. You thought processes are the same, just place energy and attack, and the way you construct your deck is the same if it was a mono fire or mono lightning deck.

So, say NO to basic dragon energy. It doesn't add anything to the game.

^ IDK where you came from on this... But, the reason a lot of people joined the game back in the old days was Variety. The more the better, and the sizeable collection is a matter of how much you're willing to commit to the game.

And there isn't even every type in the TCG game, so don't complain about it, till we have Bug Flying, Ice, and those other types like that.

signofzeta said:
Do you think that having too many energy types, that is a type with its own basic energy would ultimately ruin Pokemon TCG?

I think yes, because:

1. It ultimately makes it harder to get the cards you want in booster packs, and to make a sizeable collection of a certain type is much harder because that one type is diluted in a sea of the other types.

2. Adding even more types does NOT add to gameplay. All it does is change the weakness and resistance interaction, and it mearly would be a rock paper scissors game, rather than each type having its own unique gameplay element. The way you interact with fire type cards are no different to the way you interact with Lightning type cards. You thought processes are the same, just place energy and attack, and the way you construct your deck is the same if it was a mono fire or mono lightning deck.

So, say NO to basic dragon energy. It doesn't add anything to the game.

There isn't even a card released yet that takes a Dragon Energy. Right now all we have is Blend energy, which I like because it works for Stage 2 types also. It is like a watered down Prism for non-basics.

BTW, if you buy Booster packs, don't. Either straight up Boxes or buying Singles is best. I will go to a PR just because it is fun and I like the trading aspect, but still buying Boosters is not a good way to get what you want.

Well, since Dragons don't have a Dragon Energy already, chances are we're not gonna get a Dragon Energy, basic or special...

For the first concern, just buy singles if you're concerned about what you'll pull in packs. I'm not gonna pay $15 for a 4-pack of Hidden Arsenal 5 and hope I pull the $0.50 Vylon Omega.
It would make the set bigger/more cramped, yes, but we'd have to deal with it if that was the case.

For the second concern, if you look at the weaknesses of cards, you'd figure out that the game is already a Rock-Paper-Scissors game...it's just not guaranteed that Scissors loses to Rock. Take Zekrom-EX, one of the best cards in this current format. It has a Fighting weakness, so it can be OHKOd by Terrakion, another powerful card in the format. However, if you play your cards right, then it's extremely possible for Zekrom-EX to OHKO Terrakion in return.
Not to mention that Dragon is its own separate type; it's weak to itself, has support for itself, and it works well with many other decks out there. Take Hydreigon, for example. Moving around Dark energies at will easily allows you to use Max Potion, which was already quite potent (Why people didn't use Meganium Prime is something I'll never understand). But it's not a herp derp basic; it's a stage 2, and requires care to get out. High risk, high reward. If anything, having this card adds a strategic element to the game. Do you diversify your energies so you can recover from a KO a bit easier, or do you pile every energy onto your Darkrai-EX so it can attack while risking a knockout that would leave you energyless? This isn't Rock-Paper-Scissors; it's strategy and planning a few moves in advance.

Adding too many more types would be mostly a bad idea, yes, but before the Dragon type, when were types last added? More than 10 years ago? Even if we do get new types in the future--which I doubt--the game might have advanced so much that it's not even an issue anymore. Adding the Dragon-type was not a bad idea in the slightest; in fact, it differentiates the mighty dragons from sharing the same color with little old 30 HP Rattata.

don()shinobi said:
Well, since Dragons don't have a Dragon Energy already, chances are we're not gonna get a Dragon Energy, basic or special...

For the first concern, just buy singles if you're concerned about what you'll pull in packs. I'm not gonna pay $15 for a 4-pack of Hidden Arsenal 5 and hope I pull the $0.50 Vylon Omega.
It would make the set bigger/more cramped, yes, but we'd have to deal with it if that was the case.

For the second concern, if you look at the weaknesses of cards, you'd figure out that the game is already a Rock-Paper-Scissors game...it's just not guaranteed that Scissors loses to Rock. Take Zekrom-EX, one of the best cards in this current format. It has a Fighting weakness, so it can be OHKOd by Terrakion, another powerful card in the format. However, if you play your cards right, then it's extremely possible for Zekrom-EX to OHKO Terrakion in return.
Not to mention that Dragon is its own separate type; it's weak to itself, has support for itself, and it works well with many other decks out there. Take Hydreigon, for example. Moving around Dark energies at will easily allows you to use Max Potion, which was already quite potent (Why people didn't use Meganium Prime is something I'll never understand). But it's not a herp derp basic; it's a stage 2, and requires care to get out. High risk, high reward. If anything, having this card adds a strategic element to the game. Do you diversify your energies so you can recover from a KO a bit easier, or do you pile every energy onto your Darkrai-EX so it can attack while risking a knockout that would leave you energyless? This isn't Rock-Paper-Scissors; it's strategy and planning a few moves in advance.

Adding too many more types would be mostly a bad idea, yes, but before the Dragon type, when were types last added? More than 10 years ago? Even if we do get new types in the future--which I doubt--the game might have advanced so much that it's not even an issue anymore. Adding the Dragon-type was not a bad idea in the slightest; in fact, it differentiates the mighty dragons from sharing the same color with little old 30 HP Rattata.

I'm not saying adding the dragon type is a bad idea. The way they are doing it now is a good thing, with its multi energy requirements as it changes the way in how you set up the dragon pokemon and how you build your deck.

What I'm saying is that adding the dragon type and having its own basic energy and having its own energy for attack so that attacks look like {DRG}{C} is not adding to gameplay because it makes it no different from any other type. There is basically a rock paper scissors thing going on with grass, fire and water. You only need to paint the green cards purple, the red cards black and the blue cards brown to know that it is the same thing.

Dragons being strong and weak against each other is no different from Psychic being strong and weak to each other.

As it stands right now, each type does NOT have its own unique identity. I am a firm believer that for every basic energy, there has to be a brand new gameplay element.

As for obtaining cards of a certain type, having 16 types makes it so that you would have to either buy singles, which means TPCi isn't getting any cash, or buy double the amount of boosters or booster boxes to obtain the same amount, and that I think is stupid.

There are also a limited amount of colors to be used for the card frames without having 2 colors so close to each other that nobody could tell them apart. For example, navy blue and black, or brown and orange, or cyan and blue, or magenta and purple. The colors represented are ROYGBV Black Grey(Silver) Gold and White. Well the O is brown, but Orange and Brown are almost the same in this case. There is absolutely no way to make 16 types without making 2 types have similar colors.

You say that having a new basic energy adds new gameplay elements. Yet you also say that each type doesn't have its own identity, making it no different from any other type. Please clarify.

And did you not see my previous statement? The Pokemon TCG is designed so that, although Paper can beat Rock, Rock can occasionally beat Paper. It's not completely unbalanced; a lone Timburr isn't going to singlehandedly beat a Dark deck.

Your point about not pulling what you want is quite absurd. If there are more types, each of those types will simply have less cards. After all, there is only a limited number of Pokemon they can make these cards for.

don()shinobi said:
You say that having a new basic energy adds new gameplay elements. Yet you also say that each type doesn't have its own identity, making it no different from any other type. Please clarify.

And did you not see my previous statement? The Pokemon TCG is designed so that, although Paper can beat Rock, Rock can occasionally beat Paper. It's not completely unbalanced; a lone Timburr isn't going to singlehandedly beat a Dark deck.

Ok let me clarify, what I meant to say is adding more different basic energies does NOT add to gameplay. That was what I meant.

You can take a fighting card and make it fire, and make a Dark card and turn it into Grass, and the interactions between the 2 groups would still be the same. If your Grass pokemon is strong enough to beat a Fire pokemon, it is no different from a Darkness pokemon strong enough to beat a Fighting pokemon.

The point that I am getting at here is how you set up said pokemon. If Dragon types have their own basic energy, just like the 8 types, then the way you set up to your ace dragon isn't any different from the way you set up to your ace psychic. The current way with its multi energy attack is different. The decks these dragons belong to are more specific, and not only that, the way you set up the pokemon is different as well. No longer can you have a dragon in a mono type deck, where you can have all fire energies so you can easily draw them. You need to be able to draw 2 different energies, which is much harder to do.

When I talk about type identity, I mean each type should do its specific thing.

The official rulebook tells us what each type is good for. Grass being healing, Metal being damage prevention, and Fighting having combination attacks for coin flips. So far, in the TCG right now, this isn't the case, each gameplay seems to be on whatever pokemon the makers of this game feels like. I don't necessarily want a tight grouping where all pokemon that heal are grass types. No. But I want it so that most of the pokemon that heal are grass types, and that making a deck specializing in pokemon that heal themselves isn't possible without a few grass pokemon.

Psychic's specialty is special conditions, although other types can give out special conditions. Grass with Poison, Fire with burn, and Lightning with Paralysis, but Psychic's specialty is that it gives any special condition, depending on the attack of the psychic pokemon.

TheBugManiac said:
Your point about not pulling what you want is quite absurd. If there are more types, each of those types will simply have less cards. After all, there is only a limited number of Pokemon they can make these cards for.

The less types, the more of a chance of pulling a certain type. The more types, the less chance of pulling a certain type, much so you have to trade away almost all of your collection. The only viable solution is to play a multi type deck, that involves 3 types of pokemon or more. Even right now, I can pull a maximum of 2 or 3 pokemon of one type per pack, and if I get a booster box, I would get a sizable collection per type. So if I got 100 cards of the same set, and I got each type equally, and there were 10 types, that means I got 10 per type. Make that 20 types, and I have 5 per type, which means I have to obtain 100 more cards to get 10 per type. I'm only using simple numbers here, but you get the point.

For those who have busted booster boxes, you know that there are a decent amount of cards per type. Thinning that amount by making more types is bad for the game as players can't get a sizable collection of pokemon of a certain type to build their decks with.

I also know that decks are based off pokemon and not type. You can't have an ace pokemon without its support, and the supporting crew just happen to be the same type as that pokemon, in the case of mono type deck, or a different type in the case of multi type decks. That proves that pokemon type is important in deck making. If it wasn't the case then there would be a deck that contained every single basic energy type, and every single pokemon type. So far I haven't seen any. There was the truth, but that didn't have metal or darkness pokemon, nor did it NOT have 4 rainbow energies. If the game turned into something where 4 rainbow energies are required to be able to play the game, then that is bad for the game.

Then what s the point of the new dragon type symbol? Except promoting something new (ca Ching ca Ching) and reducing dragon pokemons getting countered (dragon weakness instead of the general normal). It doesnt add much to the game play lol. Hopefully, they add some special dragon energy or dragon engine (items or supporters for dragon only).

Honestly, dragon is my favorite type, and I was hoping for dragon symbol for years. Now that it s here, I am doubting on their utilities, I am such a bad ass.

Anyway, as long as dragons have more benefits, I got nothing to say. So yes for dragon type.

I'm trying to figure out what you are angry about... From what I see, you don't want Dragon Type pokemon to exist. And I don't see why. And that you are angry about something, but I can't tell what. Are you saying that you don't want Dragon Type because whenever you open a pack you want 1 card of each type (1 Grass, 1 Fire, 1 Dark, ect)? Or that the rulebook that is printed for 7 year olds tell us things that don't coincide with what actually exists? Or that most decks right now are monochromatic?

It makes sense that Zekrom (an Electric) takes Electric Energy, and recieves the most support from- guess what- an Electric! I don't see why Pokemon would make a Fire type that accelerates Grass Energy, or a Fighting type that accelerates Psychic Energy. The reason most decks are monochromatic is because most Pokemon that are, for example, Fire type take Fire Energy. Why would you put in a Water type if it doesn't take Fire Energy? Unless Pokemon have a specific niche like Vileplume or Darkrai, they usually don't belong in other decks. If you want a deck that involves 2 or more different types of Pokemon, look at Stage 1 Rush from last year, or Kumis.dec from now, or even go back about 2 years and look at Vilegar. They all involve more that 1 type of pokemon, but the thing is that they all played 1 type of Energy (Stage 1=Fighting for Donphan, Cinccino is colorless, and Yanmega takes nothing), Kumis plays Rainbow, Prism, and Psychic, because they are movable with Mismagius, and Vilegar played Psychic because that is what Gengar took. Right now, it is hard to incorperate multiple types into a deck's main stradegy because of consistency. Kumis gets away with it because the Prism and Rainbow work as any energy, and pseudo-acceleratable with Mismagius.

An example of why multichromatic decks don't work right now is Darkrai. Darkrai decks need to play Dark types because of the necissity of Energy Acceleration in this format. If you can't accelerate you lose, and Dark Patch only works on Dark Types. So even throwing a Terrakion in is tough because you need a Shaymin to get it up and running that turn. Even Eel decks have trouble with that. It is just the way things are right now. I personally don't think too many types will ruin the game. But I don't think Pokemon are going to keep shelling out new types every few years either. I think they are trying to add new stradegy with these Dragon types and personally I look forward to new decks appearing.

TheBugManiac said:

This.
----------------------
@signofzeta

I really don't get what's your problem. If there were a tcg type for each game type, and you want to collect cards from a specific type, you'd most likely get them the same way you get with the current 10 types, which is, buying singles. No one can expect to collect cards from a specific type by just buying booster packs.

As for the sets, of course each type would have less cards but that's natural, what's wrong here? They would have to plan the sets more carefully to include at least a few pokémon from each type and maybe some sets wouldn't even have cards of some types, but so what? Some types contain more pokémon than others, it'd understandable if there were no pokémon of some type in a set but currently, there are 649 pokémon, I'm sure there would be enough pokémon of each type to fill a set.

Also, that wouldn't be the first time. For example, Lost Link. There are no fire-type and metal-type cards in that set. You could say that's because it's a mini-set. Even in main sets, one can have a lot of cards from some type while another set can have only 2 cards from that same type. Usually, Fire, Dark and Metal cards are featured way less (not counting exceptions like Dark Rush) than Water, Psychic and that's because the former only contain pokémon from their equivalent game type while the latter contain pokémon from more than 1 game type. In fact, I think that if there were more tcg types, the pokémon distribution in the sets would be more balanced.

Finally, regarding deck building, this is the only part where I agree that more types wouldn't be that good of an ideia. Still, as an example, ZekEel variants' main cards are all from the same type (Lightning) which is a type that only contains pokémon from its equivalent game type which makes me think that even with more types, they would get a way to make enough pokémon within a type to support each other. Also, decks like 6 Corners, use a lot of different types and that's not really a problem; and some pokémon are only used for their abilites so their type doesn't even matter.

venasour x said:
I'm trying to figure out what you are angry about... From what I see, you don't want Dragon Type pokemon to exist. And I don't see why. And that you are angry about something, but I can't tell what. Are you saying that you don't want Dragon Type because whenever you open a pack you want 1 card of each type (1 Grass, 1 Fire, 1 Dark, ect)? Or that the rulebook that is printed for 7 year olds tell us things that don't coincide with what actually exists? Or that most decks right now are monochromatic?

It makes sense that Zekrom (an Electric) takes Electric Energy, and recieves the most support from- guess what- an Electric! I don't see why Pokemon would make a Fire type that accelerates Grass Energy, or a Fighting type that accelerates Psychic Energy. The reason most decks are monochromatic is because most Pokemon that are, for example, Fire type take Fire Energy. Why would you put in a Water type if it doesn't take Fire Energy? Unless Pokemon have a specific niche like Vileplume or Darkrai, they usually don't belong in other decks. If you want a deck that involves 2 or more different types of Pokemon, look at Stage 1 Rush from last year, or Kumis.dec from now, or even go back about 2 years and look at Vilegar. They all involve more that 1 type of pokemon, but the thing is that they all played 1 type of Energy (Stage 1=Fighting for Donphan, Cinccino is colorless, and Yanmega takes nothing), Kumis plays Rainbow, Prism, and Psychic, because they are movable with Mismagius, and Vilegar played Psychic because that is what Gengar took. Right now, it is hard to incorperate multiple types into a deck's main stradegy because of consistency. Kumis gets away with it because the Prism and Rainbow work as any energy, and pseudo-acceleratable with Mismagius.

An example of why multichromatic decks don't work right now is Darkrai. Darkrai decks need to play Dark types because of the necissity of Energy Acceleration in this format. If you can't accelerate you lose, and Dark Patch only works on Dark Types. So even throwing a Terrakion in is tough because you need a Shaymin to get it up and running that turn. Even Eel decks have trouble with that. It is just the way things are right now. I personally don't think too many types will ruin the game. But I don't think Pokemon are going to keep shelling out new types every few years either. I think they are trying to add new stradegy with these Dragon types and personally I look forward to new decks appearing.

I don't have any problem with them making the dragon type. I am quite content at how the dragon types are right now. What I am not happy about is if they decide to change the dragon type so that it has its own basic energy, and the attacks are no longer multi element attacks such as {G}{R}, but are now {DRG}{C} or {DRG}{DRG}. It doesn't mean that they won't do it, and there is a high chance that they won't, and I hope that slim chance doesn't happen ever, that is basic dragon energy, note that I said energy and not type, should never exist any time in the future.

signofzeta said:
I don't have any problem with them making the dragon type. I am quite content at how the dragon types are right now. What I am not happy about is if they decide to change the dragon type so that it has its own basic energy, and the attacks are no longer multi element attacks such as {G}{R}, but are now {DRG}{C} or {DRG}{DRG}. It doesn't mean that they won't do it, and there is a high chance that they won't, and I hope that slim chance doesn't happen ever, that is basic dragon energy, note that I said energy and not type, should never exist any time in the future.

you are saying this in the beginning: 1. It ultimately makes it harder to get the cards you want in booster packs, and to make a sizeable collection of a certain type is much harder because that one type is diluted in a sea of the other types.

So you are scared of not pulling any ENERGY cards from the other types, just because dragons are here? lol
they haven t decided anything, buddy, so lets not argue on whether basic dragon energies are good or bad. In fact, it s like dark and steel, it integrated into the game like all other cards. chillax man, worrying about nothing.
And what do u wish to do? do a petition against Pokemon, so they don t bring dragon energies up?

While you may disagree with {DRG} getting its own Basic Energy type, Nintendo would sell SO MANY of the starter deck with the basic {DRG} Energy in it, that your complaints would be drowned out by the sound of money falling from the sky and into Nintendo's lap.

The most effective way to balance out {DRG} is to make it decidedly not the best type such that the game does not devolve into "play {DRG} and win".

It seems for the time being that they're focusing on having {DRG} play like it's very capable of accessing other types of Energy. I'm fine either way, whether or not they decide to use {DRG} Basic Energy or not.

(and good catch to whomever added the {DRG} smilie to the database; it saved me some time ^_^ )

OP:s reasonings are absurd and this thread has absolutely no discussion value. What is our OP trying to achieve with this? Arceus only knows.

For ANY trading card game where there are cards that are categorized into certain types, it is bad to have way too many types.

Magic has the 5 colors
Pokemon has the 8 energy types.
World of Warcraft has the 20 faction and class combinations.

These groupings ensure that you can't play any deck that has cards between groups. For example. For Magic, you can't just play whatever card you want, and are usually separated into colors, such as a Red Black deck. Same thing with Pokemon. You don't just use whatever pokemon you feel like, and pokemon type has something to do with deckbuilding.

First of all, world of warcraft had it the worst. You can't mix any faction and any class, or at least that is how I remembered it. They have 20 "types", so in order for you to build a decent deck, you need to get cards. I heard WoW players complaining about how they can't get a horde warrior card, because there are so many "types", that the horde warrior is diluted into a sea of different types. Hence why the WoW boosters are 19 card per pack, well as of a couple years ago.

When you make more types in Pokemon, and in Magic, and in every TCG that has "Types", or "color", or "Element", or whatever, you have to print less and less cards per type. Since building and winning with a deck where you have 3 or more basic energy types is hard, pulling cards of a particular type is also next to impossible, because that one singular type is diluted.

You could print more cards of a certain type per set, such as this set is mostly Fire, Lightning, Rock, and Ice. The problem with this is, when a format favors a Psychic type, that set won't even sell. So there is no point in buying that pack, because there are no cards that support the ace Psychic pokemon. This is actually happening right now with the theme decks. There is always one that sells fast, and one that doesn't sell. I'm talking about Red Frenzy and Green Tornado respectively.

The reason why every pack has all 8 types, that have basic energies associated with them, Colorless can use any energy, while Dragon has costs that use energy from existing types), is to make it completely random that you have any pokemon of the 10 types. If you made 16 types, there would probably be 3 or 4 cards per set of a specific type. The only way to truly add more types is to print a 200 card set, and have 20 card boosters, so each pack can have a decent chance of actually having the pokemon type you actually want.

As for buying singles, then why have booster packs? If buying packs isn't feasible, then the company itself should just forgo distributing cards via packs.

There is another thing called the snowball effect. They would actually add a type, that uses its own energy. They see that it is not big of a deal, sort of like how you first steal something. Then they start adding more and more and more, until the threshold breaks.

Personally, I think that Pokemon TCG should stay with the 8 basic energies. What they did with the dragon type is the RIGHT THING. The wrong way they could have done it is made a dragon energy, and made the dragon type so that it is identical to the 8 types with basic energy. That's the threshold. 8 basic energies, and I deem that the perfect amount, and I feel that if they added all the colors of the rainbow, and more, that the game will eventually be ruined. Let's just hope that the dragon type won't eventually have its own basic energy any time in the future.

Another thing of why too many types are bad, are, depending on the meta, there could be types that never even get used. Having a smaller amount of types ensures that each type has a chance of being used. We know that Ice and Water is the same type in TCG. Let's say that there is a powerful water card. If these types were separate, and there was an ice type card, with its own basic energy, that could support that water type card, you'd probably won't use that card. Since the ice type uses the same energies as water type, then that card could be added to the deck.

We also know that most ice types in the TCG are weak against metal, and most of the water types are weak against lightning. If they separated these 2 types, then it would simply be a rock paper scissors match, where one plays an all metal deck to beat an all ice deck. If let's say that an ice type pokemon manages to defeat one metal type pokemon, then the ice type has sustained so much damage, much so that the next metal pokemon would finish that ice type off. Because ice and water types are categorized into the same type, the ice type in a mono water deck can be used to go agaisnt grass or lightning decks.

But since I can't persuade you guys on why too many energy types is bad, I guess I will have to let it slide, and maybe in the future, the makers of this card game actually make more and more energy types, and only then, will you finally see the consequences. The way the did dragons is good, because it makes use of the existing 8 energy types.

^Actually, if a theme deck sells more than the other, it's because they have cards valuable to players, usually trainer cards, but sometimes pokémon too. For example, take the DE decks. The Zoroark deck sells faster because, among other things, Zoroark has more competitive viability than Cofagrigus.
Also, the way you talk, do you think people actually use those theme decks to play?
Forget the types, dude, people don't play a card just because of the energy type. Taking your example, if that Ice card had an ability or an attack that worked well with the Water card (a combo, per say), why not add it to the deck? Just use water and ice energy in the deck. I was just reading in The Deck Out blog an article about a deck that uses Darkrai EX, Terrakion and Mewtwo EX, uses Dark and Fighting energy and also uses Dark Patch even though it only has Darkrai as a Dark-type (the deck also uses Shaymin to move energies).

About the booster packs. Buying booster packs, just a few of them is the wrong way to buy cards (only little kids and misinformed people buy cards that way). If you are a collector (like me), buy a whole Booster Box. But in case someone just wants to collect cards of a particular type and is not interested in the rest of the set, then yes, the best way to buy those cards is to buy singles.

@metalizard
I agree that we should overlook the argument about the packs. Competitive players buy singles, and collectors buy boxes. But, u really can't ignore the class (in this case, the type) in a tcg game. To win is to draw all your prize cards by knocking out your opponent s Pokemons. To knock out Pokemons u need to attack, and to attack u need to attach energies. Energies and types have a direct link, since most of The Pokemons from a type uses the same energy to perform its attack. Having too much energy type would ruin the whole point of rock-paper-scissors in the pokemon tcg, since, as mentioned by signofzeta, each type would have a defined weakness.

Look at a set now, how many of them are really competitive? If we are taking in account signofzeta s arguments on more types, more cards, the percentage of competitive cards in a set would lower even more if we have more and more different types of energies. Honestly, I do not wish to see even more worthless cards. And for now, Pokemon has not balanced all the types yet: metals. I love how much they made dark into one of the top tier decks, and left metals with 3 to 7 cards per set. Imagine adding another.

Therefore, I have to admit that signofzeta has given reasonable arguments for me to believe that it is bad to have too much energy types in Pokemon tcg. I believe the 8 types in Pokemon is what it makes it easy and balanced.

@signofzeta
Hey, I share ur opinion, but I still don't fully understand your intentions. There s nothing going wrong right now, and u are worrying about something in the future that might not even happen. This whole "debate" is based on predictions and not facts, so for now, I see no reasons of arguing.

Hey, don't want the game to become something where there are 16 types, and only half of them, people even play.

The way they have it now. each type sort of has its own gameplay element, such as the type that best represents dealing massive damage for the cost of sacrificing energy is fire type.

I like the way they did dragons, because it changes how you approach the dragon type. Make it have basic energies and the costs uses its own basic energies, then it would be no different from Grass, Fire, Water, Lightning, Psychic, Darkness, Fighting, and Metal.

Back