Blog To Infinity and Beyond: The Rise of Mega Mewtwo

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Shaymin isn't required per se, but there's really no substitute for it. You could try Octillery, I guess...

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
No one has any opinions?

poke4trade

Raising Ash
Been testing and gardievor one shots it. Annoying, M gardievor thouugh not that great against other decks, just really destroys the deck with little effort.

Having said that xernias/xernias break plays reasonablly well with M Mewtwo. In this format, geomancy is pretty quick with the break card and mew can get 4 energies on it second turn with max elixir and dce and geomancy. Try it and tell me what u think. Run fairy garden to retreat back into mew.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Yeah, any low-cost Psychic attackers will dominate this deck. Gardy isn't even weak to Psychic so you can't OHKO back without risking a ton of Energy.

I like the idea of Xerneas in this deck, letting you power up multiple Mewtwo in the same turn. Losing Aromatisse hurts but you can probably just run a thicker Energy Switch line to move them where you need to be moved. Xerneas BREAK makes a fine secondary attacker since he only gives up one prize and you can hit for gigantic damage on turn 2 if you hit a couple Elixirs. I'd probably run a couple more Mega Turbo so I can make use of the Energy that Xerneas uses up.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
@poke4trade Hey so I realized that Magearna-EX basically wrecks Gardevoir:

Magearna-EX – Metal – HP160
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Mystic Heart
Prevent all effects of your opponent’s attacks, except damage, done to each of your Pokemon that has [M] Energy attached to it.

[M][C][C] Soul Blaster: 120 damage. During your next turn, this Pokemon’s Soul Blaster attack does 60 damage.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 1

If Gardevoir becomes popular at all then this will definitely be used to counter it. Mystic Heart isn't even necessary so you can still use Garbodor with no worries.

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
Would you run Metal energy as your primary energy for Mewtwo? Or would you just include, say, 3 for this matchup? I think the matchup's definitely worth teching for.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I'd just use a couple metal. I like using psychic for damage change but if Gardevoir gets popular I'd consider going all metal.

ambo

Aspiring Trainer
Nice Blog man! Thanks for the feedback on my thread and this article is perfect for advice on improving my deck. Hope to see some more of your articles soon!

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
@poke4trade Hey so I realized that Magearna-EX basically wrecks Gardevoir:

Magearna-EX – Metal – HP160
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Mystic Heart
Prevent all effects of your opponent’s attacks, except damage, done to each of your Pokemon that has [M] Energy attached to it.

[M][C][C] Soul Blaster: 120 damage. During your next turn, this Pokemon’s Soul Blaster attack does 60 damage.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 1

If Gardevoir becomes popular at all then this will definitely be used to counter it. Mystic Heart isn't even necessary so you can still use Garbodor with no worries.

That is a counter that can be checked by PRC Weakness policy to Xerneas BREAK. So far, PRC-On does not have Trainer-based tool removal, so Xerneas BREAK w/ Weakness policy can turn a 1HKO on a EX to a 2HKO on a non-EX guarding the same EX, and since non-EXes only give up one prize upon KO vs. EXes giving up two upon KO. And it's a check because M Gardevoir-EX could be Lysandred in to bypass the non-EX guard and KO M Gardevoir-EX anyway, proving that just when you think you're safe from a two-prize KO from a possible "Kryptonite card", one Lysandre could put you back into the misery of losing your chief Fairy(M Gardevoir-EX) to said "Kryptonite card". And if said card is in a M Mewtwo-EX deck, losing your only sure counter to M Mewtwo-EX to KO will severely dampen the fairy-user's ability to survive against M Mewtwo-EX, let alone Magearna-EX w/ the 180 damage(after the 60 damage buff) attack after the initial 120 damage(before the 60 damage buff) attack..

Last edited:

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Xerneas break and m gard are incompatible. They won't be in the same deck.

Mega Pokémon also won't have weakness policy attached.

And if they do run xerneas break then just fight with mewtwo.

JordonM

Aspiring Trainer
So what if the mewtwo mirror match became popular? Whats a possible tech you could use to gain the upper hand? Because if it does the garbodar might become a liability that you could possibly cut.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
So what if the mewtwo mirror match became popular? Whats a possible tech you could use to gain the upper hand? Because if it does the garbodar might become a liability that you could possibly cut.
The Psyburn Mewtwo-EX is probably your best chance without completely tanking your consistency, but it's still not that appealing. Psyburn OHKOs for four Energy but Mewtwo only needs three to revenge - easily obtainable with a DCE and a Mega Turbo.

There's a promo Mewtwo (XY101) that can do 100 for PPCC. You'll need a belt to OHKO and the Mewtwo player will see this coming from a mile away.

The Mythical Collection promo Mew (XY110) does 40 + 10 for each Energy on them, for PCC. Even with a belt you still need them to have 6 Energy to OHKO and they will likely just Damage Change you.

Enhanced Hammer can also help keep his damage low.

Valar_Morghulis

Aspiring Trainer
I've been playing with M-Ray and I've won several times against M Mewtwo. It's faster and can OHKO, leaving them no time to have another ready to attack, even after discard Sky Field. I think that the win ratio could be 70-80%, depending of the decks

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Did they have Garbodor? What kind of acceleration engine did they use? Did they use Parallel City to discard your stadium? I agree that Ray can give Mewtwo problems but I don't think the matchup is that poor.

JordonM

Aspiring Trainer
Did they have Garbodor? What kind of acceleration engine did they use? Did they use Parallel City to discard your stadium? I agree that Ray can give Mewtwo problems but I don't think the matchup is that poor.
Im personally putting the zebstrika line and parallel city into my deck and mega ray has no way besides super rod to come back from a lethal parallel city. I think that mewtwo from evolutions is an interesting find. What do you think of mega turbo vs max elixer?

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I think perhaps a balance of both could prove useful.

OmnomOrNah

Duke of Dead Draw
Xerneas break and m gard are incompatible. They won't be in the same deck.

Mega Pokémon also won't have weakness policy attached.

And if they do run xerneas break then just fight with mewtwo.

I've actually been testing a M Gard/Xerneas Break deck, with 2 PRC megas and 1 STS mega, and i've got to say i'm loving it. Granted, I would still never play weakness policy in it.

Honestly, I don't think mega mewtwo will be around long enough in this format to even figure out if STS mega gardy will actually be a problem. With the mewtwo coming from Evolutions, that makes mega mewtwo pretty much unplayable. It's such a splashable DCE attacker that you're almost guaranteeing to 1 shot a M Mewtwo with, and trading 1 prize for two. It'll probably still see a bit of rogue play, as it did last year too, but I don't think anyone will actually consider it seriously once evolutions comes out.

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
Lol here years later, but this is helping me build My expanded deck, thanks!