Blog To Infinity and Beyond: The Rise of Mega Mewtwo

Crobat's damage isn't unimportant. It lets you spread to multiple targets multiple times and that 30 damage can really add up. 20 + 30 + 30 + 110 will OHKO Pokemon-EX. Like I said, only time will tell if Golbat will be enough but I don't think it will be. As for Dusknoir, that might work, but if you're going to play Expanded then you can just play Crobat.
Yes you may still be right. One M Gallade attack is 110, and then dusknoir spreads it around so it's 110 all around, that would take like three Crobat and one golbat, or four golbat and one crobat. That's a lot of a bats compared to the fact you only need one dusknoir.

In that case I would say that Dusknoir is actually the better play of the two.

Hmm, that Damage Swap attack would be really devastating, now that you put it like that. Bent Spoon would probably rise to counter it, to some extent.
Possibly. Thankfully we still have Psychic Infinity to blast anyone trying anything cute like that.

Doesn't she rotate?

No pokemon center lady was reprinted, I can't remember which set, but it's not rotating.

PCL was reprinted in Generations. I made it a point to link to the legal prints of rotating cards in my PRC-on decklist just to show players that the old cards I'm mentioning are still actually legal for Standard.

Yes you may still be right. One M Gallade attack is 110, and then dusknoir spreads it around so it's 110 all around, that would take like three Crobat and one golbat, or four golbat and one crobat. That's a lot of a bats compared to the fact you only need one dusknoir.

In that case I would say that Dusknoir is actually the better play of the two.
It's definitely worth testing! Let me know how it works out.

Shaymin EXs are in EVERY SINGLE DECK. And not just any Shaymin EX, the one for Roaring Skies that costs $40. *sighs* Also, I had that same full art Mega Gallade, but I traded it for a Dialga EX. Worst decision ever.

One thing I noticed while testing mewtwo was how psychic infinity is constantly 10 damage off from taking important knockouts. Would you cut anything from your list to include something like Giovonni's Scheme?

One thing I noticed while testing mewtwo was how psychic infinity is constantly 10 damage off from taking important knockouts. Would you cut anything from your list to include something like Giovonni's Scheme?
Tough call. I'd say either a Float Stone or a Parallel City but either of those are dancing with the devil. I'd feel safer taking out the Stadium though.

I was thinking about a build with 1 or 2 mega mewtwo X (instead of 4 Y) a 2-2 or 3-3 clawitzer line (no garbodor) and the energy line being 6 psychic 4 DCE 4 rainbow energy so you have the alternate attacker for many situations like giratina, glaceon and co. will play a lot more different cards from yours like no mega turbo, more of the special charge, more lysandre, 4 shrine of memories not any parallel city, less float, more N. clawitzer will be key i reckon, like a different bronzong.

Did I just get the feeling that you said dimension valley and shrine of memories can be in play together? I don't think that's what you mean, but with DV you can't use damage change.

Oh, and Yveltal BREAK is literally mega gallade. But not an ex. That's just salt in the wound. I wanted to have a gallade/Gardevoir deck and the only gallade I can use is the premonition one. :(

Solid article man, I didn't think to write about M Mewtwo so I'm glad you covered it! (My article should drop in a couple days here.)

I guess what's gonna make this deck good is early-game pressure if you can get enough Energy attached. Damage Swap is devastating if your opponent can't take a OHKO but I think the deck as a whole is gonna end up being subpart to Mega Ray and Primal Groudon. We'll see tho. I've always liked this card.

I have this deck. I love it. Last season I ran it with Garbador and this season I will run it too. The only thing I'd do different is use Espeon EX. Espeon EX attack is very quick and hits for weakness. Espeons second attack also goes through any attack. It cannot be locked out. I play espeon ex with fight fury belt and it has been a real handy tech card for those Regice and Jolteon match ups. It also fits nicely into the deck without making any serious changes. It is a 170 hp so it will be a 210hp with fight fury belt. The pokemon alleviates some pressure on always having that Pokemon Ranger handy. Unfortunately, Espeons first attack will be a bit useless in the format without being able kick spirit links off. Unless someone is running Garchomp, than it is quite useful. But his second attack is always handy in a pinch.

I was thinking about a build with 1 or 2 mega mewtwo X (instead of 4 Y) a 2-2 or 3-3 clawitzer line (no garbodor) and the energy line being 6 psychic 4 DCE 4 rainbow energy so you have the alternate attacker for many situations like giratina, glaceon and co. will play a lot more different cards from yours like no mega turbo, more of the special charge, more lysandre, 4 shrine of memories not any parallel city, less float, more N. clawitzer will be key i reckon, like a different bronzong.
That's actually a great idea. It would definitely require a completely different build but it sounds like it could be quite useful. I might have to give that a try.

Did I just get the feeling that you said dimension valley and shrine of memories can be in play together? I don't think that's what you mean, but with DV you can't use damage change.

Oh, and Yveltal BREAK is literally mega gallade. But not an ex. That's just salt in the wound. I wanted to have a gallade/Gardevoir deck and the only gallade I can use is the premonition one. :(

Mega Mewtwo can't use Damage Change, but Mewtwo-EX can. Yeah, I wasn't really clear there, but that's what I was implying. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, yes, I'm super salty about Yveltal BREAK stealing Mega Gallade's move. It even does more damage! Ugh.

And vanilla Gallade is really good, so I'm not gonna complain about it.

Solid article man, I didn't think to write about M Mewtwo so I'm glad you covered it! (My article should drop in a couple days here.)

I guess what's gonna make this deck good is early-game pressure if you can get enough Energy attached. Damage Swap is devastating if your opponent can't take a OHKO but I think the deck as a whole is gonna end up being subpart to Mega Ray and Primal Groudon. We'll see tho. I've always liked this card.
Glad to see you're not just gonna quit and let me reign supreme for a few months ;) Looking forward to reading your stuff; if there's anyone who can give me a run for my money, it's you.

Mewtwo definitely does struggle against Ray and I didn't even bother writing about Primal Groudon because I don't know if he's gonna be worth playing over Zygarde.

I have this deck. I love it. Last season I ran it with Garbador and this season I will run it too. The only thing I'd do different is use Espeon EX. Espeon EX attack is very quick and hits for weakness. Espeons second attack also goes through any attack. It cannot be locked out. I play espeon ex with fight fury belt and it has been a real handy tech card for those Regice and Jolteon match ups. It also fits nicely into the deck without making any serious changes. It is a 170 hp so it will be a 210hp with fight fury belt. The pokemon alleviates some pressure on always having that Pokemon Ranger handy. Unfortunately, Espeons first attack will be a bit useless in the format without being able kick spirit links off. Unless someone is running Garchomp, than it is quite useful. But his second attack is always handy in a pinch.
The thing I don't like about Espeon-EX is that he's sooooooooooo weeeeeeeeeak. Even belted he can't 2HKO any Pokemon-EX and if you're under Chaos Wheel lock it's gonna be annoying to power him up. I agree that with a PCC attack cost that he fits in the deck like a glove but the only Pokemon you 2-shot is Regice and at that point you might as well just Ranger him. Do you think that running Espeon-EX will still be useful once we get Pokemon Ranger? Because I'm not so sure.

Side note, the full art Espeon-EX is one of the few full art cards that I like. Awesome Pokemon, awesome art, complete garbage competitively. :)

Interesting how you said it wasn't worth considering the Bronzong or aromatisse variants due to rotation yet the following two deck lists both had battle compressor and one had an AZ

Interesting how you said it wasn't worth considering the Bronzong or aromatisse variants due to rotation yet the following two deck lists both had battle compressor and one had an AZ

That's not true at all. I didn't say they were unviable, but given that the scope of the article focused on Mewtwo in PRC-on Standard it didn't make sense to go in extensive detail about variants that were being rotated.

And it's not fair of you to criticize my use of Battle Compressor and AZ because the first list was meant to show players unfamiliar with speed Mewtwo how the deck works, and the second list was written with Worlds in mind so you can simply discard it if Karen doesn't find its way stateside. I had already written that list and my analysis before we had the news. I even said don't play this unless we get Karen somehow.

If either Bronzong or Aromatisse were surviving the rotation I would have gone into more detail about them, but since they aren't, I didn't.

Glad to see you're not just gonna quit and let me reign supreme for a few months ;) Looking forward to reading your stuff; if there's anyone who can give me a run for my money, it's you.

Mewtwo definitely does struggle against Ray and I didn't even bother writing about Primal Groudon because I don't know if he's gonna be worth playing over Zygarde.

The thing I don't like about Espeon-EX is that he's sooooooooooo weeeeeeeeeak. Even belted he can't 2HKO any Pokemon-EX and if you're under Chaos Wheel lock it's gonna be annoying to power him up. I agree that with a PCC attack cost that he fits in the deck like a glove but the only Pokemon you 2-shot is Regice and at that point you might as well just Ranger him. Do you think that running Espeon-EX will still be useful once we get Pokemon Ranger? Because I'm not so sure.

Side note, the full art Espeon-EX is one of the few full art cards that I like. Awesome Pokemon, awesome art, complete garbage competitively. :)

In the next format, Ranger is hard to play. I've been playing with the next format and things like Lysandre and Pokemon Ranger are just basically dumb luck. If you get them in your hand at the right time they work well, but without the BC they hard to play. The next format is just slow and knockouts are harder to setup with supporters.

Espeon EX helps for a quick attacker on cards like Regice and Carbink. Regice and Carbink are complete pest to the deck and it only takes one of them to really throw a huge monkey wrench into the deck. The charge time on Garbador is really long and without DM Valley it becomes a bit clunky. Espeon just helps a bit with the odd matches. Like Hydrogeon EX does with the Darkria EX Deck.

In the next format, Ranger is hard to play. I've been playing with the next format and things like Lysandre and Pokemon Ranger are just basically dumb luck. If you get them in your hand at the right time they work well, but without the BC they hard to play. The next format is just slow and knockouts are harder to setup with supporters.

Espeon EX helps for a quick attacker on cards like Regice and Carbink. Regice and Carbink are complete pest to the deck and it only takes one of them to really throw a huge monkey wrench into the deck. The charge time on Garbador is really long and without DM Valley it becomes a bit clunky. Espeon just helps a bit with the odd matches. Like Hydrogeon EX does with the Darkria EX Deck.

Maybe people will go back to running thicker supporter lines instead of being able to get away with running 1x of everything. I see your point about drawing into them, though.

I suppose that, for what you're using it for--that is, to take out Pokemon immune to Pokemon-EX for whatever reason--Hydreigon and Espeon are the same. Both take 2HKOs on Carbink and Regice and 3HKOs on Jolteon, so I guess it's not important to be able to sweep with them. They do their job and that's good enough. I'll have to try it. Give me a reason to dust off my FA Espeon-EX. :]

What do you guys think about injecting a dark flavor into this deck? Baby Yveltal can accelerate and Zoroark forces your opponent into a checkmate position by either increasing Mind Jack's damage or keeping Zoroark's damage low but risking having Mewtwo feast on their Energy.

Downsides: Even with a full Bench, Mind Jack can't take OHKOs on Pokemon-EX, never mind belted ones, and Chaos Wheel still one-shots you with no effort. Zoroark BREAK can copy Chaos Wheel and provide minor disruption but they can just switch out and massacre you with Darkrai.

How can we improve this matchup?

I question if it wouldn't be a good idea to run a thicker Hex line since Garbodor is easily gusted out and killed. You will also be able to keep up the Ability lock while you set up another Garbodor.

Okay, me, here's a list that could be decent. Can't put in Special Charge or Ranger since they aren't implemented yet. I'm not sure how much I like this variant; running darks means you can't use Damage Change and so Shrine of Memories becomes a lot less appealing. Sky Field is the only Stadium that I can see filling its spot; since we're going to be using baby Yveltal and Zoroark instead of Garbodor, Sky Field can help give our bench some breathing room. If it gets discarded from play we can still discard Shaymin and Hoopa, just like normal.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon - 19

2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
4 Yveltal XY 78
2 Zorua BKT 89
2 Zoroark BKT 91
1 Hoopa-EX PR-XY XY71
4 Mewtwo-EX BKT 62
4 M Mewtwo-EX BKT 64

Trainer Cards - 29

3 Mewtwo Spirit Link BKT 144
2 N FAC 105
1 Pokémon Center Lady GEN 68
1 Skyla BKT 148
3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
2 Float Stone BKT 137
3 Ultra Ball FLF 99
3 Mega Turbo ROS 86
3 Sky Field ROS 89
3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
4 VS Seeker PHF 109
1 Hex Maniac AOR 75

Energy - 12

4 Double Colorless Energy FAC 114
8 Darkness Energy XYEnergy 1

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Without Battle Compressor, I'm not sure this can work. I might try fairies after this but I wanna wait for Xerneas BREAK to build it.

Sorry for intruding but I wanted to get into the game and play my old time favorite Mewtwo so I stumbled on this decklist ^^ Just wanted to know if Shaymin-ex was absolutely required for this deck to function properly and if not, what could I replace it with? It's just to play with my friends with sort-of competitive decks (none of us want to fork over 70$can for shaymins ;p). Thx for the help and sorry if I posted in the wrong place.

Back