Blog To Infinity and Beyond: The Rise of Mega Mewtwo

I rather like my M Mewtwo builds to focus on Darkness energy and dark type supports, like Zoroark or Yveltal. Psychic Infinity's great strength is that it's colorless, so this guy can leverage lots of useful additional support to deal with things like Carbink and Glaceon.

Very nice article, Mega Mewtwo/Garbodor was a play I tried last season and it didn't do too badly.

I do believe that Mega Gardevoir is an awful matchup for this card though, OHKOing Mewtwo for just 2 energy with Despair Ray.

Well actually mega Gallade could see play because we kept golbat and zubat thanks to generations. But of course there is still Mega Sceptile EX who can heal two pokemon of all damage for its attack and still attach energy.

Can you explain Pokemon Center Lady a little for me? How does removing your damage counters translate to Damage Change fuel? Also, isn't Parallel City a little awkward with Garbodor?

I rather like my M Mewtwo builds to focus on Darkness energy and dark type supports, like Zoroark or Yveltal. Psychic Infinity's great strength is that it's colorless, so this guy can leverage lots of useful additional support to deal with things like Carbink and Glaceon.
Yeah. A dark flavor for this deck would be pretty good since Yveltal can accelerate to Mewtwo.

Very nice article, Mega Mewtwo/Garbodor was a play I tried last season and it didn't do too badly.

I do believe that Mega Gardevoir is an awful matchup for this card though, OHKOing Mewtwo for just 2 energy with Despair Ray.
That's definitely true. If Mewtwo becomes popular that'll be one way to keep it in check.

Well actually mega Gallade could see play because we kept golbat and zubat thanks to generations. But of course there is still Mega Sceptile EX who can heal two pokemon of all damage for its attack and still attach energy.
I disagree. Crobat adds another level of damage to the deck that it really misses out on otherwise. I don't think Golbat is gonna be enough to be competitive, but we'll see. And yeah, Sceptile gives Mewtwo a hard time.

Can you explain Pokemon Center Lady a little for me? How does removing your damage counters translate to Damage Change fuel? Also, isn't Parallel City a little awkward with Garbodor?
Sure. What I meant was that healing 60 damage can save you from getting 2HKOed. Instead, you would be able to survive the second hit and retaliate with Damage Change.

What can be a good tech to kinda counter m mewtwo?
In terms of techs there's nothing I can think of off the top of my head. Ideally, you would want a Psychic-type who can potentially hit for big damage for low amounts of Energy. Meloetta LTR actually fits this bill perfectly: If Mega Mewtwo has five Energy on him, Psychic is a OHKO (220 damage). Unfortunately it's not legal for Standard and there is no substitute for it. Mega Mewtwo thrives on Energy, so decks with low Energy costs will do well against it.

Thanks for commenting, everyone! Keep them coming. :D

Yeah. A dark flavor for this deck would be pretty good since Yveltal can accelerate to Mewtwo.

That's definitely true. If Mewtwo becomes popular that'll be one way to keep it in check.

I disagree. Crobat adds another level of damage to the deck that it really misses out on otherwise. I don't think Golbat is gonna be enough to be competitive, but we'll see. And yeah, Sceptile gives Mewtwo a hard time.

Sure. What I meant was that healing 60 damage can save you from getting 2HKOed. Instead, you would be able to survive the second hit and retaliate with Damage Change.

In terms of techs there's nothing I can think of off the top of my head. Ideally, you would want a Psychic-type who can potentially hit for big damage for low amounts of Energy. Meloetta LTR actually fits this bill perfectly: If Mega Mewtwo has five Energy on him, Psychic is a OHKO (220 damage). Unfortunately it's not legal for Standard and there is no substitute for it. Mega Mewtwo thrives on Energy, so decks with low Energy costs will do well against it.

Thanks for commenting, everyone! Keep them coming. :D
Well yes but think about it, one Golbat Combined with Unwavering Blade is 50 to someone on the bench in addition to the 110 to the active pokemon. Another look at Gallade is to go expanded and use dusknoir. Deal 110 and spread it around so several pokemon take lots of damage.

Well yes but think about it, one Golbat Combined with Unwavering Blade is 50 to someone on the bench in addition to the 110 to the active pokemon. Another look at Gallade is to go expanded and use dusknoir. Deal 110 and spread it around so several pokemon take lots of damage.
Crobat's damage isn't unimportant. It lets you spread to multiple targets multiple times and that 30 damage can really add up. 20 + 30 + 30 + 110 will OHKO Pokemon-EX. Like I said, only time will tell if Golbat will be enough but I don't think it will be. As for Dusknoir, that might work, but if you're going to play Expanded then you can just play Crobat.

At the risk of sounding like my pre-teen children, OMG that's EXACTLY what I've been thinking. I posted a mega mewtwo deck with garby in the garage last night. Thanks, you have confirmed that I'm not crazy or delusional (well at least not on this). The only thing, I'm going to try Clawitzer as well as Garbodor and see which works out better. But thanks so much for blogging this is great!

If the translation turns out to be wrong and Clawitzer lets you accelerate any Energy you want, then Clawitzer could be a great addition. Run a couple Energy Retrieval and you're golden. Cool idea.

I saw a video from Dark Integral Gaming, and he was showing the translation as any special energy from your hand. I think this is in addition to the 1 energy you can normally add, meaning you could potentially put 2 dce on mega mewtwo in one turn. But I could be misinterpreting that.

EDIT: Sorry let me amend that, it's from the deck not the hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
"In turn, Darkrai-EX needs 11 Darkness Energy on the field as well as a Belt to return the OHKO."

You did the math incorrectly.

Good article

One thing about the Greninja Mu is, you don't need Garbodor. You stockpile energy on a mega mewtwo KOing things from turn two onwards and eventually get enough energy to one shot Greninjas. Damage Swap helps too.

I'd also like to argue that Garbodor does no necessarily shut off Vileplume as it can prevent you from playing down tools on your Garbodor.

You may also want to consider Max Elixir in here to help set up benched Mewtwos and accelerate energy.

"In turn, Darkrai-EX needs 11 Darkness Energy on the field as well as a Belt to return the OHKO."

You did the math incorrectly.
sure did. It was corrected by staff. Forgot it was 20+, not 20x.

RIP Gallade </3

Great article, keep it up! I've always found M Mewtwo-Y a really solid Pokemon in my theorymon, with so much flexibility for (gimmicky) partners. Solid rogue material, I say. That aside, I really like how you went into depth succinctly with Pokemon Center Lady. I've often overlooked her for other options, but I can see those clutch situations a bit clearer, especially for PRC-on. Bring on the defensive-decks!

Also, isn't Parallel City a little awkward with Garbodor?
Sorry, I forgot to answer this question. Parallel City is for discarding Hoopa-EX and Shaymin-EX from your side of the field because they are worthless after you drop them. Your ideal Bench should be two Mewtwos and Garbodor, or maybe one Mewtwo and two Garbodor if you're fighting Dark Dragons. You should only consider discarding Garbodor you're fighting against Mega Rayquaza and only if they have Ninetales in play. Forcing Mega Rayquaza to take 2HKOs the entire game can really give you some breathing room. It's unfortunate because 150 damage isn't enough to OHKO anything except Shaymin-EX in that deck, but hey. Two prizes is two prizes.

I saw a video from Dark Integral Gaming, and he was showing the translation as any special energy from your hand. I think this is in addition to the 1 energy you can normally add, meaning you could potentially put 2 dce on mega mewtwo in one turn. But I could be misinterpreting that.

EDIT: Sorry let me amend that, it's from the deck not the hand.
There was a premium article that claimed that Clawitzer could attach any Energy but after looking at a Japanese Flash Energy and comparing the text for Special Energy to the text on Clawitzer's power, it's clear that Clawitzer can indeed only accelerate Special Energy, which is a shame.

I'm trying to build this with the Ancient Trait Togekiss from ROS, but now that I think about it, I am going to need to get another Garb.
That's certainly one way to run it, but please don't run it with Garbodor, lol.

Good article

One thing about the Greninja Mu is, you don't need Garbodor. You stockpile energy on a mega mewtwo KOing things from turn two onwards and eventually get enough energy to one shot Greninjas. Damage Swap helps too.

I'd also like to argue that Garbodor does no necessarily shut off Vileplume as it can prevent you from playing down tools on your Garbodor.

You may also want to consider Max Elixir in here to help set up benched Mewtwos and accelerate energy.

I suppose all that is true, but for one, Garbodor can only help because I don't like the idea of just letting them set up. Sometimes Greninja can get explosive starts and I see no reason not to just stop their setup cold.

Fair point re Vileplume. If you're fighting against a deck that's using it, they will probably get it into play before you get Garbodor.

And I didn't mention Max Elixir? Wow, I'm surprised. Yeah, Max Elixir is OP. I would probably find a way to add a couple more basic Energy though.

RIP Gallade </3

Great article, keep it up! I've always found M Mewtwo-Y a really solid Pokemon in my theorymon, with so much flexibility for (gimmicky) partners. Solid rogue material, I say. That aside, I really like how you went into depth succinctly with Pokemon Center Lady. I've often overlooked her for other options, but I can see those clutch situations a bit clearer, especially for PRC-on. Bring on the defensive-decks!
Assuming you are at full HP, Pokemon Center Lady turns every attack that does 130 damage or less into a 3HKO. Notables include unbelted Grenade Hammer, Chaos Wheel, and Jagged Saber.

Also, Shrine of Memories is basically a win condition against non-EX decks that can't hit him for Weakness. Mewtwo Y has so much life that Damage Changing every turn or every other turn after you take a big hit becomes a valid strategy. He just gets more and more Energy attached and fully cures himself whenever possible. It's super disheartening to fight against.

Thanks for the comments everyone! Be like bbninjas and drop a like on the first post if you enjoyed the article.

Hmm, that Damage Swap attack would be really devastating, now that you put it like that. Bent Spoon would probably rise to counter it, to some extent.

That aside, I really like how you went into depth succinctly with Pokemon Center Lady. I've often overlooked her for other options, but I can see those clutch situations a bit clearer, especially for PRC-on. Bring on the defensive-decks!
Doesn't she rotate?

Back