Tips of Studying

Freak :P

Hidden behind the Shadows.
So I'm not sure if there was a thread about this, but I really have to memorize the Periodic Table of the Elements. Any help?

Hoooo boy, good luck. I don't even remember how I memorized them all. Are we talking about in order or just general elements and names...?

Anyways, I have a few nifty pointers from ones I remember.

K- Potassium. Think of someone that you don't like with the letter 'k' in their name. (Works best with K being the first letter). After that, just lookit the first few letters there of Potassium. :3 That's what my 8th grade teacher suggested. She was Mrs. K lololol.

Ag- Agnus, an old name for Silver. Stems from latin 'argentum' if I remember correctly, which is silver.

Au- 'EY YOU! STOP STEALING MY GOLD! Stems from Latin but I can't remember the Latin name to save my life.

Cu- Copper. I see you right there, penny. ;0

H, He, Li, N, C, O, Ne: Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium, Nitrogen, Carbon, Oxygen, Neon are all easy ones to remember. THE FIRST 10 ELEMENTS ARE VERY IMPORTANT.

Row 1 is the alkalis and Row 7 is the alkalines (or vise-versa??) If I'm right, think that Row 1 has fewer letters than Row 7, similar to 7 is bigger than 1. Row 8 is of the Noble Gases. Think of the Nobel statue floating away thanks to a bunch of HELIUM balloons.

IDK if any of that can help you out, but I hope it does!

Now, where'd that chart run off to...

Write them over and over. It helped with me. Diatomic Molecules are the easiest for me...

dmaster out.

Repetition is what I did. And the knowledge has stuck with me over the years.

Why would you have to memorise the periodic table? If your teacher is making you do that, give me her contact information and I'll set her straight. Providing you pursue a career in science, you will always have access to reference materials such as the periodic table. It is a waste of time to memorise it, let alone it is a pointless endeavour. Much like the people who memorise Pi to the hundreth or so digit. It's not useful for anything.

You should be able remember the symbols for each element though. Na for sodium, K for potassium, etc.

r3skyline said:
listen to music while studying. proven fact it helps ya out.

it has exactly the opposite effect on me.. just because something is proven to work for some people doesn't mean that it works for everyone, or even worked for all of the people who were tested when it was "proven"

Soldering facts onto your skin helps, you can't get rid of it; at least it is there everywhere you go :D.

esperante said:
it has exactly the opposite effect on me.. just because something is proven to work for some people doesn't mean that it works for everyone, or even worked for all of the people who were tested when it was "proven"
perhaps your mind is not as strong as you may think then.

its proven that most people will listen to stuff they like. and as a result, while they study, they "soak" it in even more than what they usually would because its relaxing.

r3skyline said:
perhaps your mind is not as strong as you may think then.

its proven that most people will listen to stuff they like. and as a result, while they study, they "soak" it in even more than what they usually would because its relaxing.

lol that just shows you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. listening to music while studying has to do with aural learning, where the effects of the music on the brain and body influences how you take in information. it has nothing to do with music you like, it has to do with the tempo and style of the music. obviously a certain type of music you can't stand isn't going to help you study, regardless of its' effect on most people, but some people simply aren't proficient aural learners at all. the assumption that this means their mind isn't "as strong" as somebody else's is completely asinine, as not only am i probably better at learning through studying than a lot of people who use music, but i also do a lot of work with music in other fields.

know more than you and my degrees prove it. ;)

lol, if you have trouble concentrating, then obv your mind is already "trained" for other methods. thats what i meant if you didnt know, and from your post, it seemed so.

neway, the OP did well, so i dont see why this is continuing.

r3skyline said:
know more than you and my degrees prove it. ;)

lol, if you have trouble concentrating, then obv your mind is already "trained" for other methods. thats what i meant if you didnt know, and from your post, it seemed so.

neway, the OP did well, so i don't see why this is continuing.
Arrogant. How do you know what Esperante's degrees will or are like?

Just because it works for you doesn't mean listening to music works for others, like Eperante listening to music seems to distract me from the subject I'm trying to study. My mind is strong thank you very much, I don't need you saying what my mind is like. ;) Sit down.

lol, i am sitting down.

arrogance. hmm. ok. so because i have gone thru school and have obtained my degress, im considered arrogant because i post facts. *sigh*

whomever said it worked for me?

obv my post was too much for ya to understand. try reading it again. break it down. read my post where it explains further what i meant. then decide whether or not you guys are commenting on it in the correct manner.

neway, im done trollin. bye.

r3skyline said:
know more than you and my degrees prove it.
How can you say that? Do you know what esperante's degrees are?

r3skyline said:
perhaps your mind is not as strong as you may think then

esperante said:
lol that just shows you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. listening to music while studying has to do with aural learning, where the effects of the music on the brain and body influences how you take in information. it has nothing to do with music you like, it has to do with the tempo and style of the music. obviously a certain type of music you can't stand isn't going to help you study, regardless of its' effect on most people, but some people simply aren't proficient aural learners at all. the assumption that this means their mind isn't "as strong" as somebody else's is completely asinine, as not only am i probably better at learning through studying than a lot of people who use music, but i also do a lot of work with music in other fields.
^

r3skyline said:
arrogance. hmm. ok. so because i have gone thru school and have obtained my degress, im considered arrogant because i post facts. *sigh*
It is not a fact music helps you with studying. If it was it would've helped Esperante instead of distracting him. So he's the living proof (along with many others) that it isn't a fact.

The best way for me to study is also without any music. Without any music I'm able to concentrate myself much better.

As for memorizing the periodic table, it might seem useless. But trust me, it will help you out. You're able to do your work much faster if you don't have to look it up every time.

^ Agree totally

But in all honesty study like this:

1. Pick up revision guide

2. Read revision Guide

3. Close revision guide

Congrats, you have now learnt how to revise :)

Pokequaza said:
It is not a fact music helps you with studying. If it was it would've helped Esperante instead of distracting him. So he's the living proof (along with many others) that it isn't a fact.
Thanks you for saying my point but in an easier way of saying what I meant. ^^

Instead of reading revision guides how about audio guides if you find it boring to read? What I find useful is just to write it down multiple times, works for me and I do pretty well in tests, heh, I don't normally revise much though, heh.

Back