Thundurus or Zekrom in Eelzone?

Zekrom is great late game. I split 2/2 now, and it's doing alright...so far. I still think Thundurus is a nice starter because it helps get you those Energy in the discard pile. Sometimes Sage's is inconsistent, so skipping on the Thundurus isn't the best idea. But it's still personal haha.

EDIT: Just finished another game and YES. Zekrom is your HOMIE in Eelzone.

Thundurus is a nice early game Attacker for a similiar reason that Virizion is a good attacker; it does a decent amount of damage, takes cheap KOs with Pokemon Catcher and helps you get set up early on. It isn't a heavy hitter, don't get me wrong, but it can do some really good work to start you off, take a prize or two and die, putting some Energy into the Discard for Eelektrik. Remember that you only need to take two Prizes before you can promote Magnezone and Lost Burn for the rest of your Prizes, and taking those cheap prizes early on with Thundurus is great.

There are also some wierd situations where you can send up Thundurus to Charge to put more Energy into play, and then Lost Burn the turn after. Its definitely worth the spots for it.

Zekrom is also really, really good. A higher Zekrom count will make the Mirror Match easier, but a higher Thundurus count will give you a more consistent list overall. I'll stand by the 2 Thundurus/1 Zekrom count.

From my experience, I'd run both. Thundurus is amazing early in the game because you can pull off a KO by turn 2, which allows you to maintain an early prize lead. Zekrom is good for mid-late game, and he helps you against Durant (which is the reason why I wouldn't just run Thundurus). What I'd do is run 2 Thundurus and 1 Zekrom. 2 Thundurus allows you to get a good chance of starting with him, which is needed if you want to KO something by turn 2, and 1 Zekrom is simply used when you might need to attack with it later in the game or for Durant.

I think that a smart play would be 1 Thundurus and 2 Zekrom (only one if you have Zekrom EX). This should work because you can use Thundurus for charge early game and Zekrom for big attacks and conserving energy late game. There is no need to go above 1 Thundurus because Tornadus works a ton better in the late game

iisnumber12 said:
I think that a smart play would be 1 Thundurus and 2 Zekrom (only one if you have Zekrom EX). This should work because you can use Thundurus for charge early game and Zekrom for big attacks and conserving energy late game. There is no need to go above 1 Thundurus because Tornadus works a ton better in the late game
3 Thundurus is the ideal amount because you need to start with it and tornadus is just bad in this deck.

pokemonjoe said:
3 Thundurus is the ideal amount because you need to start with it and tornadus is just bad in this deck.

Why would you need more than one. It is pretty easy to search for. Having 3 is also bad because you can't rely on 80 to win the late game

iisnumber12 said:
Why would you need more than one. It is pretty easy to search for. Having 3 is also bad because you can't rely on 80 to win the late game

I wouldn't necessarily say that, in one of my games with EelZone VS ReshiPhlosion, my opponent needed to set up another Typhlosion Prime so he could K.O. my damaged Magnezone Prime, he was able to get out a Quilava, but whiffed the Typhlosion after using Professor Oak's New Theory, on my next turn I got a fully loaded Thundurus active and Catcher K.O.'ed his Quilava for the advantage. (I later went on to win the game)

Having tested extensively with Eelzone, 3 Thundurus is the only count even worth running, but 3 Thundurus turns several matchups from disadvantageous to advantageous and helps every matchup/ It lets you fish energy out of the deck for you to use later, allowing you to run a small amount of energy (I've found 12 to be optimal) and hits for an astounding 80 turn 2. The only thing that rivals that is Zekrom with tons of set up, Tornadus with a DCE, and Mewtwo EX with a DCE and a Celebi start. With Thundurus, you just need 2 Lightning Energy. This makes it extremely easy to pull off and I'm usually able to take a prize every single turn once I set Thundurus up until I have a Zekrom/Magnezone ready. Running 3 Thundurus in Eelzone is like running 4 Twins in Durant-its godly and I can't imagine why you would ever not want to.

The Aura Is With Me 8 said:
I wouldn't necessarily say that, in one of my games with EelZone VS ReshiPhlosion, my opponent needed to set up another Typhlosion Prime so he could K.O. my damaged Magnezone Prime, he was able to get out a Quilava, but whiffed the Typhlosion after using Professor Oak's New Theory, on my next turn I got a fully loaded Thundurus active and Catcher K.O.'ed his Quilava for the advantage. (I later went on to win the game)

but why couldn't you just have used Zekrom? It does more damage and isn't so situational. I'm not saying you need 3-4 Zekroms, but I'd chose that over a second Thundurus

iisnumber12 said:
but why couldn't you just have used Zekrom? It does more damage and isn't so situational. I'm not saying you need 3-4 Zekroms, but I'd chose that over a second Thundurus

I didn't have it out at the time.

Back