Speculation [Theory] The Next Pokemon Games

Actually, it would be cool if they have a different type of Team Flare, like something that represents the French Revolution that they had, but instead it's the entire Kalos region. Like one side wants to get rid of Monarchies and become democratic because of the actions of king AZ, while the other side believes that we need to forgive and stay with the system. You are then fated to choose a side and depending on what you battle/choose will determine how your Zygarde mega evolves or what moves it can learn at the end of the game.

This would be SICK. They've gotta hire some new story arc writers and make more stuff like this xD

Maybe since game freak has been trying to 'shake things up' (with sequels instead of a third version, for instance) they'll be open to a prequel and get creative with it!

I can only hope...

Some people are saying they won't unveil the new games at E3 because they never have before. Anyone agree/disagree with that?

I honestly believe that E3 could be the time when we hear it.
why?

if you look back:
X/Y: the first huge information we got on these games surfaced at E3 2013. we got the new Fairy type, PSS, Skybattles, New Pokemon and a few other things i might of glanced over
ORAS: We didn't get any information about until E3 despite the game being revealed a month prior. some say that it was initially going to be a E3 reveal and they pushed to get it out to the public because of the investors meeting the day of its initial reveal. its up for debate.

but i honestly think that a E3 reveal would be more likely then not.

I honestly believe that E3 could be the time when we hear it.
why?

if you look back:
X/Y: the first huge information we got on these games surfaced at E3 2013. we got the new Fairy type, PSS, Skybattles, New Pokemon and a few other things i might of glanced over
ORAS: We didn't get any information about until E3 despite the game being revealed a month prior. some say that it was initially going to be a E3 reveal and they pushed to get it out to the public because of the investors meeting the day of its initial reveal. its up for debate.

but i honestly think that a E3 reveal would be more likely then not.

Except in both cases, the game was revealed prior and we simply got more information. Here we have nothing so far, so if you're going by that pattern, the fact that we haven't gotten a game announcement yet implies that there's no main series game this year.

I'm starting to think that Pokébeach being PG-13 isn't a very good idea... but that's none of my business...

Anyway, just so my post isn't completely off-topic... Yes, there are new moves, and they may go the traditional route of giving Zygarde new formes, but Megas are the key mechanic of this gen, so why go by the usual forme path instead of taking advantage of giving Megas to Zygarde? Xerneas & Yveltal have both 680 BST, Zygarde has 600 BST. With Megas, it would have 700 BST which surpasses the other two which ties with Zygarde's supposed role of being able to defeat the other two... it's the Weather trio all over again... Also, they could make it so Zygarde's learnset changes between the games, with Land's Wrath being replaced by Thousand Waves/Arrows depending on the game...

I'm starting to think that Pokébeach being PG-13 isn't a very good idea... but that's none of my business...

Anyway, just so my post isn't completely off-topic... Yes, there are new moves, and they may go the traditional route of giving Zygarde new formes, but Megas are the key mechanic of this gen, so why go by the usual forme path instead of taking advantage of giving Megas to Zygarde? Xerneas & Yveltal have both 680 BST, Zygarde has 600 BST. With Megas, it would have 700 BST which surpasses the other two which ties with Zygarde's supposed role of being able to defeat the other two... it's the Weather trio all over again... Also, they could make it so Zygarde's learnset changes between the games, with Land's Wrath being replaced by Thousand Waves/Arrows depending on the game...

perhaps a new mechanic where the move changes slightly when he mega evolves, and become the two different movies with the two different mega evolutions?

umm this is my fourm please don't try and change the subject
lol

Some people are saying they won't unveil the new games at E3 because they never have before. Anyone agree/disagree with that?
As much as the games adhere to patterns they break them. There is precedent for a middle version yet there hasn't been one every generation. There is precedent for bi-generational additions of weak/strong eeveelution pairs. There is nothing stopping them from announcing new main series games at E3, although I've heard good arguments for and against.

I do think that if new games are coming out this year, they will be announced at E3. Put another way, if there is no E3 announcement, that means there is no main series Pokémon game coming out this year. $0.02

There is precedent for a middle version yet there hasn't been one every generation.

Is that a fact?

Gen 1-yellow
Gen 2-crystal
Gen 3-emerald
Gen 4-platinum
Gen 5-black 2/white 2 (sure it's a sequel but it's virtually the same thing with a. Little more story).

I think from a business and a logistical perspective a third version only makes sense. Heck, they haven't even done Mega's for the gen 6 starters yet.

Is that a fact?

Gen 1-yellow
Gen 2-crystal
Gen 3-emerald
Gen 4-platinum
Gen 5-black 2/white 2 (sure it's a sequel but it's virtually the same thing with a. Little more story).

I think from a business and a logistical perspective a third version only makes sense. Heck, they haven't even done Mega's for the gen 6 starters yet.

He means that there was a precedent for having a singular third version that follows the structure of the first two with a few expanded features, but BW2 broke that precedent.

What an incredibly innovative idea... and therefore highly unlikely. I want to live in that world.

Italy is the home of Renaissance, France is the home of the Feudalism so a medieval setting would be far more suitable and likely. Another argument is that one of Yveltal's wallpapers/artwork shows it standing in front of a ruined medieval-like castle.
I also would rather like to see kingdoms and monarchies than the city-state model of Renaissance. I've said more here: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/monarchy-democracy-in-the-pokémon-world.120024/

Last edited:

The problem with this is that if they ever upgrade Xerneas and Yveltal with Megas, then Zygarde ends up back on bottom. It might be better to upgrade the dragon with new forms for now so that he's not restricted by the Mega Evolution stat cap.

Everyone has their own ideas of what Pokemon should do in their next/future games. Some ideas are really interesting while others are just plain stupid. Regardless, more and more ideas are posted online everyday. This is my wishlist for the next Pokemon game(s).
--- (Not in order btw) ---
1. An expanded base feature. I'm a huge fan of decorating things and for me, ORAS was the my first chance to do that in a Pokemon Series game. While it was nice, it felt like something you'd do for a day or two before getting bored and moving on. To me, it was also very inconvenient. Having to use Secret Power to find the base seemed a little bit much, especially with all the HMs my team had to learn. XY did something I liked which was that berry farm by Camphier Town I believe. That was extremely helpful and more preferred than the scattered berry trees in Hoenn. My idea for the new base feature is a combination of ORAS and XY with my own twist.
Give the player their own plot which they can upgrade as the collect gym badges or such. Give them farm land for their berries and a up-gradable home with actual home decor and not just Pokedolls. This gives players who aren't really competitive a reason to keep playing. There should also be a way to let your friends visit. BW (if I remember correctly) did something like this sort of with the Entralink system.

2. Co-Op Mode. This is one of those ideas that are more like dreams than anything. A huge focus of the Pokemon Company is interaction with friends, families, and strangers online. By making a Co-Op Mode where up to four players could run around with each other is brilliant. This feature would most likely have to be for Post Game since some players could be at different points in the storyline.

3. Pokemon Dress-Up. It's been a while, but I believe BW's Musicals had a feature where you put little accessories on your Pokemon. My question is, why does that have to be limited to Muscials. ORAS was hinting at it with the Cosplay Pikachu but no one really uses that once the hype dies down. Furfrou is the closest we get to giving our Pokemon appearances catered to our tastes. This could be a feature implemented with Pokemon Amie.

4. Better Trade System. I believe it was BW that introduced the Smiley Faces or Emoticons in the trade system. Why the heck did GF take that out? How are we supposed to trade efficiently if we can't tell the people what we want. That sad part is that people had to resort to nicknaming their Pokemon names such as "Yes Please" or "No Thanks" and stuff like that. There should also be a feature where one can say- "Looking for Shiny Lucario or Japanese Vivillon or Female Ralts or White Florges". That would definitely save a lot of time in collecting Shinies or completing the Pokedex.

5. More Episodes. We can all agree that XY was the saddest Pokémon game in terms of Post Content. The only interesting thing about it was the Looker stuff. Speaking of, what happened to Looker in ORAS?! That could be it's own Episode right there. Though I will say, ORAS' Delta Episode was fire! The story was beautiful and it was like a little treat for those who completed the game. It GF could implement more Episodes, even if it was DLC, it would be a nice way to keep people coming back to their games. It's not like that have plenty of stories to tie up or elaborate further on.

6. Character Development. One thing I found with XY that I didn't like was the cardboard cutout characters. Honestly tell me, can you remember a moment when a Gym Leader or Elite Four made an impression outside of their gyms. (Ones that stood out to me were Malva. That's it.) These people of power are supposed to be strong role models in their communities and some of them never even stepped outside of their gyms. They should be more involved with the community, especially when a crazy mastermind is trying to destroy them. Diantha was one of the most boring Champions ever. All she did was say she was a Movie Star or something like that. She was completely random to the storyline and it wasn't a surprise that she just HAPPENED to be Champion but NO ONE mentioned that in your irrelevant meetings with her.
Additionally, the rivals felt pretty bland. You hardly got individual time with one (outside of Shauna... an maybe Calem/ Serena). You never even saw Tierno's Pokemon dance!

9. More Minigames. If I'm going to sit there and spend hours trying to love my Pokemon with Pokemon Amie, there better be some freakin good minigames and a variety to choose from. Way to go GF, picking the same three minigames from the first one and thinking we can't get enough.
10. Evil Organizations. This wish isn't a "do better" but a "keep it up." Lately, to me, I feel like GF has been on a role with their crime groups... outside of Rocket lol. Cyrus from Galactic was utterly strange and unpredictable. Team Plasma stole everyone's feels with their Pokemon liberation. Flare shocked everyone with their "beauty" and "destroying entire planet" ideas. Aqua and Magma took it up a notch with trying to control the sea/land. Keep it up!
11. Soaring. Who doesn't love not needing to have a Pokemon with the move Fly to get around to a location. What would be better is that any Pokemon that is big enough could be capable of Soaring. There could be Soaring minigames too! (Just a thought.) Another could feature would be the ability to Soar to another region. That'd be nice... yeah...

Those are all the ideas I have for now! I hope you enjoyed reading them and I'd love to hear your feedback on them! (I know some of these are unrealistic, but a guy can hope!) Post your ideas as well!

I can totally see them giving Xerneas And Yveltal Mega evolutions (or Primal Reversions), each appearing in the opposite sequel game, just so Zygarde can then get an even more extreme transformation to stop them (different ones depending on which of the two it faces of course).

I remember thinking how boring it is that Tornadus and Thundurus had the exact same identical stat-spread.. and then they got forms and those went different ways.
Xerneas and Yveltal have the exact same stat-spread too (which has never happened for mascot legends until XY), and I wish something will happen to them that will shake those up a bit.
A Mega or Primal adds 100, making their total 680-->780
Zygarde currently has a total of 600. Which would require 200 to be clearly superior to their new forms in that case.

Perhaps it will pseudo-evolve twice?? 600->700->800

It seems pretty obvious that eventually the main Pokemon of the various regions will get Mega Evolutions (or whatever equivalent, like Primal Reversion), just a matter of when. Moving forward with potential remakes, spicing the mascots/main trio up the same way they did Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza for ORAS will likely be the norm. But when is the right time to push Kalos Megas? IMO, we should start in the next game...but I'm not really sure how they should handle the trio right now.

Giving Xerneas and Yveltal Megas seems pretty straightforward. They aren't really the problem though, it's Zygarde. How many forms do we need for him in whatever the next game(s) is/are. Fans are already suspecting another set of paired versions because Gen VI still has two games left for connectivity, XY both only tackle one of the legends, and Zygarde has attacks for countering both the other trio members. So is he getting a new stat boosting form for each game and then a Mega for each form (4 new forms total) so that he can surpass the other's BSTs? Is he getting a single new form and then an X Mega and a Y Mega (3 total)? Is he just getting a single new form and a single Mega, but the option to change Land's Wrath into the Thousand moves? I know what I would do, but it's not exactly easy to figure out how Gamefreak would address it these days.

Last edited:
A Mega or Primal adds 100, making their total 680-->780

Not always, Alakazam particularly only recieves 90 base stat points added, meaning GF isn't exactly going by some strick "give only 100 extra per mega" rule. Sure it's less, but they can still go over. Just because megas all carry a stone doesn't mean rayquaza had to. Zygarde can be the exception to an increased mega stat point distribution of 200 or something.

Zygarde doesn't have to have a higher BST than Xerneas or Yveltal anyway. There are other options.. See the primal weather trio, both completely borked, yet rayquaza got a mega evolution, with the added benefit of no longer needing an item, which the primals have to hold onto their stone.. as well as a completely new ability which counters the others entirely.

Zygarde just needs that new ability, and potentially having an advantage while yveltal and xerneas are stuck with whatever hindrance. (Freedom of items, etc)

Plus, it wouldn't hurt GF to take some stat points out of SpA and put them into his main stats, bulk, speed, and physical Atk to kinda minmax him over the edge.

I always picture zygarde getting some kind of "type reversing aura" ability.. where his dragon type becomes immune to xerneas's fairy, and hits xerneas for SE damage with dragon.. while yveltal's flying doesn't hit zygarde period.. while his ground typing hits yveltal super effectively. (Hey, thousand arrows isn't SE even though it hits him anyway). Afterall, his current ability is appost to slightly reverse the abilities of them already.. just it's not good enough.

Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza and Alakazam are the only exceptions to the Mega "rules". Groudon and Kyogre because they aren't technically Megas, Rayquaza because he doesn't need a stone thanks to his lore and Alakazam for his BST. Honestly though, the latter seems like an error that's gone overlooked because of the extra 10 point buff regular Alakazam got at the start of Gen VI. They obviously haven't corrected it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's tweaked to the standard when Gen VII rolls around either.

The difference with Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza and Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygrade's situation though is that despite the fact that Rayquaza got the extra advantages you mentioned over his counterparts, he's also still stronger than them in their BST. Even with similar advantages, an 80 point gap for Zygarde and potential Xerneas and Yveltal Megas would be pretty big considering his supposed role.

Last edited:
Not always, Alakazam particularly only recieves 90 base stat points added, meaning GF isn't exactly going by some strick "give only 100 extra per mega" rule. Sure it's less, but they can still go over. Just because megas all carry a stone doesn't mean rayquaza had to. Zygarde can be the exception to an increased mega stat point distribution of 200 or something.

Zygarde doesn't have to have a higher BST than Xerneas or Yveltal anyway. There are other options.. See the primal weather trio, both completely borked, yet rayquaza got a mega evolution, with the added benefit of no longer needing an item, which the primals have to hold onto their stone.. as well as a completely new ability which counters the others entirely.

Zygarde just needs that new ability, and potentially having an advantage while yveltal and xerneas are stuck with whatever hindrance. (Freedom of items, etc)

Plus, it wouldn't hurt GF to take some stat points out of SpA and put them into his main stats, bulk, speed, and physical Atk to kinda minmax him over the edge.

I always picture zygarde getting some kind of "type reversing aura" ability.. where his dragon type becomes immune to xerneas's fairy, and hits xerneas for SE damage with dragon.. while yveltal's flying doesn't hit zygarde period.. while his ground typing hits yveltal super effectively. (Hey, thousand arrows isn't SE even though it hits him anyway). Afterall, his current ability is appost to slightly reverse the abilities of them already.. just it's not good enough.

Alakazams anomaly is most likely an error. Surely it's not coincidence that regular Alakazam got a +10 base stat boost at the same time as being the only one lacking +10 increase when Mega evolving. They likely added the regular boost after the stats for the Mega were already in and forgot to correct for the adjustment.

But sure, Zygarde could have a Mega evolution that adds 200, nothing is preventing them from doing that. But I'd still expect them to name it something more special than consider it a regular Mega evolution then.

As for Thousand Arrows, an interesting note is that type-match up does not come into play on first use.
It makes no sense and is hopefully an error, but if you use Thousand Arrows on something like Talonflame/Zapdos/Skarmory right now, it doesn't do SE-damage (my initial reaciton to that was that amybe Flying acts as having a Ground resistance when immunity is bypassed, but that's not the case either, as even Hoppip takes neutral damage etc), it only "grounds" them. On the next turn, Thousand Arrows will work like any other Ground move and hit for SE damage of the other type is weak to it.

Well, I didn't think about the possibility of giving a Mega to Zygarde that gives it an increase of 200 points simply because that sounds a bit too extreme compared to what GF usually does (although one could argue they lost their minds by making Rayquaza a Mega with no need to hold a stone)... But if they really do Megas for Xerneas and Yveltal, then I'm all in for that huge increase in stat...
Zygarde's dex entry already hints to a new more powerful forme... I would be happy to see Zygarde as the most powerful of Megas in terms of BST, as the mechanic was introduced this generation... Event though they established in ORAS that Rayquaza was the first pokémon to Mega evolve (and without a stone), I'm still suspicious that Zygarde's backstory, whatever it may be, holds the true secret about Mega Evolution in the games...

Also, about that question of how many formes will Zygarde have, I like that theory of giving it 1 or 2 forms and then Megas to those formes, just because GF has been increasing the number of forms for the 3rd legendary with each generation: Rayquaza had none in Emerald, Giratina got 1, Kyurem got 2... Personally, I think it would be hilarious if Zygarde ended up with 3 or more new formes...

So, I'm going to sort of "piggy back" off this for a second and say, that Primal Evolutions are also key mechanics introduced this generation and are equally as likely as Megas. We only have 2 primals, it'd make sense to give it to some other Pokémon. Meaning there can be orbs Zygarde holds that allows it to undergo primal reversion. Naturally this is all speculation, but, that's not to say it couldn't happen. Also, unrelated to the quoted post, we need to stop assuming 1k arrows/waves has anything to do with Xerneas and Yveltal; i.e fusions. Zygarde's ability shows that it somehow adapted to dealing with Xerneas and Yveltal (even though it doesn't help it at all competitively) these moves could very well be no different. It seems everyone believes that since BW2 happened it is the new norm to have 2 versions and fusions. However, Gen 6 is the generation of breaking unspoken rules. There is nothing to be expected with this. We could be seeing Primal Zygarde in Pokémon Z, or we can be seeing Xerngarde in XZ, though, the latter doesn't make any logical sense. So, let's stop saying "well if you look at this pattern in past games" because that pattern means nothing anymore.

Primals are pretty much the same thing as Megas, GF came with the Primals concept for Kyogre and Groudon to have something that seems different and they're called "super ancient pokémon"... Why didn't they make a Primal for Rayquaza too? Because Mega Evolution is the real deal here... I doubt we'll ever see Primal Reversion on any other pokémon other than Kyogre/Groudon.

And like you said, this is all speculation, but speaking for myself, looking at past games helps at trying to figure out what will be their next move, even if in the end they come up with something entirely different and we were all wrong... If we'll go to assume the posture of "let's not use anything about past games as basis because they mean nothing", we might as well not speculate at all and just wait for what they have to deliver...

Primals are pretty much the same thing as Megas, GF came with the Primals concept for Kyogre and Groudon to have something that seems different and they're called "super ancient pokémon"... Why didn't they make a Primal for Rayquaza too? Because Mega Evolution is the real deal here... I doubt we'll ever see Primal Reversion on any other pokémon other than Kyogre/Groudon.

And like you said, this is all speculation, but speaking for myself, looking at past games helps at trying to figure out what will be their next move, even if in the end they come up with something entirely different and we were all wrong... If we'll go to assume the posture of "let's not use anything about past games as basis because they mean nothing", we might as well not speculate at all and just wait for what they have to deliver...

Well, as far as Megas vs Primals go, you're right in saying they're relatively similar. It could very well go either way, but to throw primal reversion out the window isn't quite something we should be doing, it's equally likely. Hell, it could be neither.

I'm not saying we can't speculate. I'm just saying that "well, X happened in (insert game) so it must be happening in this next one" isn't the best reasoning anymore. We can speculate on what megas are coming, what is happening with Zygarde and such without referring to previous installments. However, I can't say assuming that because BW had 2 versions XY will follow suit. Or because Kyurem had 2 forms, Zygarde will do the same. Those rules were broken with the introduction of BW2. I mean, Sylveon being the only Eeveelution was just the first step with the generation 6 games, followed by a measly 60+ new Pokémon, mega evolutions to replace "next stage evolutions", having no trio despite BW having 2, and the list goes on. Perhaps I was too direct in my statement, I'm just saying that "looking at the past generations" isn't the best logic to base anything off of anymore. Any and everything can happen with this, hell, nothing could happen too.

TLDR; I'm not saying "Don't use that logic" (which is how it came across in my original post I'll admit), I'm leaning more towards, "I wouldn't recommend using that logic anymore" thanks to everything that has been done. There's nothing wrong with it, I'm not shunning you for it, I just can't say it's the best logic to apply anymore. We can speculate on what megas are coming, the story line, the possibility of new Pokémon, the possible changes in gyms, what is happening with Zygarde, among others without ever referring to previous installments.

Back