The Yu-Gi-Oh Thread

TokenDuelist said:
Would anyone recommend the new Cyber Dragon deck? ovo I've been tempted to get a few and turn em into one deck. (I've got 2 cyber ends and a few of the other fusions )

It's quite the explosive deck, but it's little more than YOLOTK when it comes down to it. It also gets boring very quickly winning with Power Bond Cyber Twin game in and game out.

On another note, Premium Gold is out, and the card list is pretty damn good. Lots of healthy and justified reprints in addition to the rise of Gimmick Puppets as a viable deck. I found a new Mermail tech in Tri-Edged Levia also - summon it off of Bahamut in the mirror, run over a Linde, and banish it so it doesn't get its effect (this allows you to save Dweller for a bigger play).

If anything, Cyber Dragons are worth playing to at least be able to counter Chronomaly Artifacts with one summon. But other than that, they're basically "OTK: THE ARCHETYPE: THE EXPERIENCE". Though a searchable field nuke in the form of Eltanin is pretty damn fun, especially when their Stardust can't do a single thing about it.

Serperior said:
If they can even make Chimeratech haha. I don't know if all decks have Chimeratech in the Extra. System Down is a card that's getting popular (or has been) because Geargia/Karakuri is a thing. So that's not fun.

Everyone I know sides System Down. A lot of people will also side in their own Cyber Dragon along with Chimeratech.

I've never really taken it out of my side because my friend's favorite deck has been Cyber Dragons since grade school. When we were little Acid Rain was the machine hate card. He went around and traded for all of them so that no one at locals could use it against him. Then System Down came out and a little of his soul died. It was a good day.

I'd go with Gimmick Puppets like someone else suggested. I have friends that play both and I definitely think the Gimmicks are way better. They seem to do much better in just about any match up. Ultimatrainer is a pretty fun card in that deck if you can make him. He's 3800 attack, can't be targeted, and you can detach material to draw a card (and possibly do 800).

Vivillon said:
I'd go with Gimmick Puppets like someone else suggested. I have friends that play both and I definitely think the Gimmicks are way better. They seem to do much better in just about any match up. Ultimatrainer is a pretty fun card in that deck if you can make him. He's 3800 attack, can't be targeted, and you can detach material to draw a card (and possibly do 800).

Yeah, I'm picking up Gimmick Puppets. They may look inconsistent, but the sheer explosiveness of summoning C40, C15, Fortress, Ultimatrainer, and more with just 2-3 cards on average is very enticing. They can do a lot of damage with the proper build. The Rank-Up OTK build is my favorite, but the most competitive one involves Machinas and Skill Drain.

Uralya said:
but the most competitive one involves Machinas and Skill Drain.
...I have the oddest feeling that I run the ONLY Gimmick Puppet deck with Genex Recycled to make R-Genex Locomotion.

don()shinobi said:
Uralya said:
but the most competitive one involves Machinas and Skill Drain.
...I have the oddest feeling that I run the ONLY Gimmick Puppet deck with Genex Recycled to make R-Genex Locomotion.

I've seen that build before. Most Gimmick Puppet decks are viable if they have solid ratios, but the most competitively sound are the Machina ones due to the anti-meta qualities of Fortress and Drain. Locomotion is like a slightly more accessible Big Eye, which is always nice to have.

Welp, people have already discovered another Quasar combo, this one involving Dragonstars. Also a pretty reliable way to kill your opponent via Maxx C late game.
Requirements
* Level Eater and Light Dragonstar Rifun (or some other level 1 tuner) must be in your Graveyard.
* You must control Shining Dragonstar Shofuku.
* You must have Junk Synchron in your hand, and you must not have normal summoned yet.

How To Do
Reduce Shofuku's level by 1 to SS Level Eater. Use Shofuku's effect, destroying Level Eater to SS the level 1 tuner (let's say it's Rifun). Synch them into another Shofuku, shuffling 1 of their cards into the deck. Repeat the process until you're on your last Shofuku. Reduce its level by 1 to SS Level Eater, destroy it to SS Rifun, then reduce Shofuku's level to SS Level Eater. Synch Rifun and Shofuku to make Power Tool Dragon, then search for Symbols of Heritage. Activate it and get back a Shofuku. Use its effect, destroying Level Eater to SS Rifun. SS Level Eater by reducing Shofuku's Level (now 7). Make Formula Synchron, then reduce Shofuku's level (now 6) to SS Level Eater, then synch Formula and Level Eater to make Mist Bird Clausolas. Use its effect on whatever. Normal Summon Junk Synchron to SS Level Eater, then go into Wave-Motion Phonon Dragon. Reduce Shofuku's level (now 5) to SS Level Eater. You can then make Quasar with Shofuku, Clausolas, and Phonon. Now you've got Quasar and Power Tool Dragon with one of their monsters (if they still have any after Shofuku messed up their field) having 0 ATK and a negated effect. If you lose at this point, you're not playing the game right.

Of course, you don't NEED Power Tool Dragon, but having the extra 2300 ATK always helps.

Assuming your opponent uses Maxx C when you use Level Eater's effect for the first time, you let your opponent draw almost half their deck. You might not even need to attack with Quasar if it's late enough in the game.

I don't care about Quasar combos until it gets reprinted. Otherwise, I don't know of anyone at Locals that has one. d:

Serperior said:
I don't care about Quasar combos until it gets reprinted. Otherwise, I don't know of anyone at Locals that has one. d:

Same here. I think that's one of the few promos I have yet to see in real life. It's too bad that Quasar is always one of the first cards people will try to create combos with using new cards, and yet the successful ones are rarely even pulled off due to Quasar's rarity :/

GKs are the very definition of anti-meta, but the meta isn't really kind to them nor are they popular. A couple topped regionals and some args iirc, but that's it from last format. They are definitely competent with the new support and annoying to no end, but the meta of FF, Geargia, etc. isn't for them. They also have very situational tactics and easily anticipated moves. We'll have to see if they can make it out of, you know, rogue. They're awesome on DN though ^-^

Hahaha I have a love/hate relationship with Necrovalley. Trying out a new deck and it hates Necrovalley. My old Malefic Drain deck I still have built loves it. :)

Serperior said:
Hahaha I have a love/hate relationship with Necrovalley. Trying out a new deck and it hates Necrovalley. My old Malefic Drain deck I still have built loves it. :)

Oh, same here. Every deck I build normally has a large weakness to Necrovalley (Mermails, Gimmick Puppets, X-Sabers, Dragon Rulers recently), but playing a Necrocentric deck myself usually puts out good results. It's one of those cards you love to use but hate to play against.

I still can't believe I made my dad a GK deck given that I largely hate it - he hasn't played in about six years and yet he plays like a natural at locals with it x.x

That fact leads me to believe that GKs are hilariously autopilot, having such easy conditions and goals. Do you guys think that too?

Serperior said:

Finally, someone else who has played Malefic Drain!
Necrovalley is literally the most anti-meta card in the whole game, however, it often forces you to play rogue or greatly alter your strategy, as it also tends to counter you as well. Gravekeepers are, imao, the best choice for Necrovalley users, unless you wanna risk it and side Necrovalley with some other deck, hindering your own gameplay but potentially doing way more harm to your opponent (The Six Samurai were a good example of this until Gateway getting banned killed them).

Chaos Jackal - I really wanna see your MD list. Mine's somewhere in here but I'd like to see yours. I've stopped playing it because I needed a change of pace, and Wingbeat of Giant Dragon really sucks.

Wish I had it, but I think I deleted it from DN when I stopped playing regularly. And unfortunately I didn't keep a real-life copy anywhere.

O_O That's so unfortunate. Dang. I topped at Locals with it for the one time I got to play it there lol.

Serperior said:
O_O That's so unfortunate. Dang. I topped at Locals with it for the one time I got to play it there lol.

Why would you stop? That deck does such a good job of screwing opponents over o.o

@Jackal: Okay, revise my definition of anti-meta. GKs are not anti-meta, Necrovalley is.

But GK are supported by Necrovalley and are even fueled by it, so the general consensus is that GK are anti-meta.

Back