Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

I am still looking for a strong deck for under £30

BREAKthrough Typhlosion is what you're looking for.

107139_200w.jpg

The concept of the deck is to include a bunch of energies (usually 20-30 from the decks I've seen) in order to have a high chance of discarding fire energies with Typholsion's first attack and doing a ton of cheap damage.

Here's a place to start:
Pokémon:
  • 4 Talonflame (Steam Siege)
  • 4 Cyndaquil (BREAKthrough)
  • 1-2 Quilava (BREAKthrough)
  • 4 Typhlosion (BREAKthrough)
Trainers:
  • 4 Rare Candy
  • x Skyla (to get Rare Candies)
Energy
  • 20-30 Fire Energy
STS Talonflame's ability allows it to be placed on the bench without evolving at the start of the game. Its attack does a small amount of damage but lets you search your deck for any 2 cards and put them in your hand. This could be used to grab a Rare Candy and a Typhlosion if you have a Cyndaquil benched which allows you to evolve it into Typhlosion on your next turn, or a Cyndaquil and something else if you don't have one benched.

All of the above can be purchased for (if I'm converting from USD correctly) about £20. You can search for Typhlosion decklists in order to find more trainers to complete the deck. (Don't add any more Pokémon, as that will only make the chances of a Talonflame start smaller.)
Good luck!

As of right now no 'Competitive' decks are that cheap, however there are rogue decks like Yanmega BREAK, Greninja BREAK, and Typhlosion that are very cheap

As people have already stated: You're not getting a fully competitive deck for the price. The Typlosion deck that @Knite posted is going to be your best option. If that's not what you want then you can google decklists for Yanmega BREAK, Greninja BREAK, and maybe Passimian/Mew to get some ideas.

As for the Greninja BREAK, there is a world's deck reprint for it, but keep in mind the cards from that package have a unique back and are not legal in any organized event (Tournaments, leagues, etc.)

Actually my league (and from what I've heard, many leagues) do allow them to be played :p

Good to know. I was going off the fact that mine does not allow them to be used, though maybe that is because we do more of a simple tournament every week instead of free play? Anyways, thanks for the clarification :)

The weekly leagues that do free play typically allow WC cards, many even don't care to check for true Standard decks, at least for new players as they are building their collection. (Might be different if you came in will a full meta Expanded deck without letting your opponent know!)

However, any type of structured tournament play that's calling itself "Official" on the Pokémon Event site should not be allowing WC cards. A small tournament at your local store might make an exception based on their player base, but that would be the very rare exception and not the rule. They also shouldn't really be listing themselves as an official tournament on the Pokémon Event calendar if that's the case though.

As people have already stated: You're not getting a fully competitive deck for the price. The Typlosion deck that @Knite posted is going to be your best option. If that's not what you want then you can google decklists for Yanmega BREAK, Greninja BREAK, and maybe Passimian/Mew to get some ideas.

As for the Greninja BREAK, there is a world's deck reprint for it, but keep in mind the cards from that package have a unique back and are not legal in any organized event (Tournaments, leagues, etc.)

Thanks for the help i will take a look though and see what i can come up with

Price Range: $100 USD roughly
What you want to buy: A booster box to help get back into the game.

I already plan to buy a box of the new set; Guardians Rising, but I can't help but wonder if there is another set I could buy a box from to build up more of a "core" or staples and general trainers/supporters. Any suggestions?

@shadoworganoid Do you already have anything? What kind of deck do you want to run? Getting 1 or 2 Battle Arena decks, like the Keldio/Rayquaza ($25-30) one gives you a decent core trainer set for standard. (And two decent skeleton decks for Expanded) That plus your box of Guardians Rising should be a good start, then just pick up singles with the rest of your $100 to fill out what you are missing, you could even get a Shaymin or two if you wanted to go that route. Also, be willing to trade away what you don't need from that Guardians Rising box as they should be worth a bit to start out.

@shadoworganoid Do you already have anything? What kind of deck do you want to run? Getting 1 or 2 Battle Arena decks, like the Keldio/Rayquaza ($25-30) one gives you a decent core trainer set for standard. (And two decent skeleton decks for Expanded) That plus your box of Guardians Rising should be a good start, then just pick up singles with the rest of your $100 to fill out what you are missing, you could even get a Shaymin or two if you wanted to go that route. Also, be willing to trade away what you don't need from that Guardians Rising box as they should be worth a bit to start out.
I do have a handful of cards currently. I have;
Professor's Letter, Super Rod, Switch, Escape Rope, Acro Bike, Trainer Mail, Hugh, Winona, Startling Microphone, Juniper, Sacred Ash, Lysander, Rare Candy, Level Ball, Master Ball, Ultra Ball, Judge, Muscle Band, Double Colorless Energy and Double Dragon Energy. (I have multiples of all those I just listed)

As for what I want to run, probably the new Kommo-o GX. Maybe the new Vikavolt GX. Not sure yet.

I have a b-day coming up and was wondering what i should get because the way i see it there are three options. I get a guardians rising booster box. Buy a volcanion deck (i already have some pices). Or just getting some sealed product like the mega powers and imcineroar collection boxes.idk help

I wanna start play again after stop play about half a year
what should i play between
Solgaleo deck or Yveltal deck
is Yveltal EX deck still playable after New sun Moon GX Set?
Or any suggestion i want to build deck that has consistency and can use in competitive play
Thx in advance ^^

What is your budget? My favorite consistant deck besides volcanion right now is quad lapras which is only about 60-70 dollars to build from nothing and works great so idk. Yveltal has died down a lot with counter being made for it but it is a consistant and good deck just not being played i would recomend playing yveltal with tuaros and wobbufett because soon garb will become a bad option with feild blower. If you really want to play yveltal, but the meta is very open right now until rotation.

Hey guys!

So I have a huge store-credit at my local card shop and I have the option to buy a booster box. The problem is I don't know which box to get. I'm content with the deck that I have and honestly, I would not mind turning my booster box purchase into some cash. With that said, which one of these boxes would rack me up the most cash?

From Primal Clash all the way to Guardian's rising. The only one they don't have is Generations.

Thank you in advanced!

Hey guys!

So I have a huge store-credit at my local card shop and I have the option to buy a booster box. The problem is I don't know which box to get. I'm content with the deck that I have and honestly, I would not mind turning my booster box purchase into some cash. With that said, which one of these boxes would rack me up the most cash?

From Primal Clash all the way to Guardian's rising. The only one they don't have is Generations.

Thank you in advanced!
Go with Guardians Rising or Roaring Skies for cash, Tapu Lele GX is worth a lot in Guardians Rising, Shaymin EX in Roaring skies.

Hey guys!

Thank you in advanced!
DEFINATELY GRI, also GEN didn't have a booster box so that's why they don't have it (it was only in the 20th anniversary products)

DEFINATELY GRI, also GEN didn't have a booster box so that's why they don't have it (it was only in the 20th anniversary products)

Just to clarify, when you say GRI you mean Guardians Rising correct? Sorry, I'm a fairly new player and I just want to make sure since I don't know a lot of the Pokemon TCG acronyms.

Back