The Team

Blah

DBT
The Team​

My first RMT! I’ve been playing around with this team for a few weeks now and I think I’ve finally got it just the way I want it. I can’t wait to hear people’s ideas on it and for advice to make even better!

180px-617Accelgor.png

TheSpeedster (Accelegor) @ Focus Sash

Ability: Sticky Hold
Nature: Timid
Ev’s: 252 Hp/ 4 Special Defense/ 252 Speed
Moveset:

-Encore
-Agility
-Baton Pass
-Bug Buzz

Overview: Well, the name is pretty obvious…Anyway, when I started making a team, I decided I wanted a Haxorus. Well, I realized Haxorus was a bit slow, and I found that it always got killed when setting up. More on that later, the point is I needed a Baton Passer, and I found that Accelegor did the job perfectly.

Strategy: After trying it in a couple different places, I found it worked best as a lead. Since Accelegor is so fast, I can almost always get off an agility first thing in the battle before anyone can do anything about it. I also can’t get screwed over by trick because of sticky hold. The crux of the set is encore. Since a majority of leads in the metagame set up entry hazards, I can immediately kill their plan with encore. Although sometimes they just attack while I set up agility and then I baton pass it Haxorus, it works much better when they try to set up. I encore whatever they do, then baton pass as they switch. Swagger is for late game to possibly get another baton pass off. Now, on to the Baton Pass receiver…

150px-612Haxorus.png

The Angry (Haxorus) @ Choice Band

Ability: Mold Breaker
Nature: Adamant
Ev’s: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Hp
Moveset:

-Outrage
-Dual Chop
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

Overview: He’s called The Angry because of the damage he can do with Outrage. He is a deadly sweeper and tears huge holes in teams. Skarmory is the only real counter and the rest of my team is fine against Skarmory.

Strategy: To tell the truth, there isn’t a lot of thinking that needs to be done with this guy. It’s pretty much just to spam Outrage. The rest of the moves are pretty much filler as I almost never use anything but Outrage. I have used earthquake on one or two occasions but never any of the other moves. Outrage is just too powerful. Even most steel types can’t take more than two hits. I watch in laughter as that Lucario they just sent in, thinking they’re safe, gets OHKO’d by Outrage. There have been many occasions where I never have to use anyone else, but due to Skarmory/confusion hax I often have to.

heatran.png

The Menace (Heatran) @ Life Orb

Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest
Ev’s: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 Special Defense
Moveset:

-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power Grass
-Dragon Pulse

Overview: He’s called the Menace because of the sheer power he has to rip through teams almost as much as Haxorus can. He is great for the steel types that might wall and take out Haxorus and a great sweeper besides that.

Strategy: As you’ll see later, I have a Scizor, so when they switch in a fire type on Scizor I can switch out to Heatran to get the Flash Fire boost. I can then to proceed to rip through everything with Fire Blast. I can also lure those bulky ground/waters out and kill them with hidden power, mainly Gastrodon and Quagsire. Earth Power is for extra coverage.

170px-121Starmie.png

The Star (Starmie) @ Life Orb

Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Timid
Ev’s: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 Hp
Moveset:

-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Rapid Spin
Overview: Again, the name is pretty obvious. When playing around with this team early on, I decided I needed a rapid spinner. Along with it’s great offensive capabilities, Starmie fits the spot perfectly. It also resists those nasty fighting types, which my team can have problems with.

Strategy: Normally to get Starmie in play I’ll switch it in after death-foddering Accelegor, who is perfect for that after Haxorus is dead. I’ll then rapid spin immediately unless I know I can OHKO the opponent. After that, I can put a dent in the other person’s team or sweep late game.

200px-091Cloyster.png

The Skilled (Cloyster) @ White Herb

Ability: Skill Link
Nature: Jolly
Ev’s: 48 Hp, 252 Attack, 250 speed
Moveset:

-Shell Smash
-Icicle Spear
-Rock Blast
-Razor Shell

Overview: He’s named The Skilled because of Skill Link. I have a serious problem with substitute users (mainly Breloom) so this guy solves that problem. He can also be used to sweep depending on the opponents team. The extra Ev’s are put into Hp to cushion attacks a bit.

Strategy: I try to switch Cloyster in on a substitute and then either immediately Icicle Spear or I Shell Smash If I know I can survive a hit. Breloom, the main problem, goes down without question from an unboosted icicle spear.
140px-212Scizor.png

The Revenge (Scizor) @ Choice Band

Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
Ev’s: 248 Hp, 252 Attack, 8 Speed
Moveset:

-Bullet Punch
-U-Turn
-Pursuit
-Superpower

Overview: My revenge killer, called The Revenge for a good reason. When building my team, I found that having a revenge killer was extremely helpful in stopping sweeps and killing big threats. Choice band Scizor works perfectly, especially with the synergy with Heatran mentioned earlier.

Strategy: Since he’s a revenge killer, I switch him when anything gets killed. A bullet punch normally does the trick, or any of the other moves when the situation applies. Pursuit is great as it often checkmates ghost and psychic types, especially choiced ones. U-Turn is great for scouting and Superpower is just for sheer power against anything that resists other moves.

Thank you for reading this! I can’t wait to hear suggestions on how to make it even better!

Overall, not a bad team, but I think there are a couple small changes that would be a bit better. First, replace Swagger with Spikes on Accelgor. I noticed that you have no entry hazards, so it will be helpful. I understand that its main purpose it to AgiliPass to Haxorus or maybe Heatran but there will be times when you don't want to do that and Spikes would be a nice move to have, while you will almost never use Swagger.

Next, I would change Dragon Tail to Dual Chop on Haxorus. Sometimes, you won't want to risk confusion from Outrage but can still wreck an opponent's team with a dragon attack, and in that scenario Dragon Tail would be very bad because of its meager 60 base power and the fact that it always go last. Dual Chop would not only deal more damage, it also allows Haxorus to break Substitutes and hit opponents on the same turn if, for example, the opponent used Substitute while you Baton Passed to Haxorus.

Next, I would replace Will o' Wisp on Heatran with either Stealth Rocks or Flame Charge. As mentioned earlier, your team has no entry hazards and they are vitally important, and since Heatran will often cause switches due to the many things that can't stay in on him, it will usually have many opportunities to use Stealth Rock during a match. Flame Charge is less useful in my opinion although it will let Heatran overcome its mediocre speed without having an Agility Baton Passed to it.

Starmie looks pretty good, although if you find it dying too quickly you can change Rapid Spin for Recover or Life Orb for Leftovers, but neither of them are things that you need to do.

As for Cloyster, I'm not really sure that you need it since Dual Chop Haxorus deals with Breloom better than Cloyster does, and it might be better to have a more defensive Pokemon to help out with your weaknesses. Maybe consider something that can take Electric attacks and isn't weak to Ice since as of now you have 2 weaknesses to Electric, 1 resistance, and that resistance is a Pokemon who isn't very defensive and is weak to ice. Magnezone could work, resisting ice and electric as well as being able to trap and kill steel types that Haxorus inevitably will lure in, making it much easier to pull off a sweep. Your team doesn't have too many answers to powerful Earthquakes so I would run this set for it:

Magnezone @Air Balloon w/ Magnet Pull
Timid, 252 Sp. Atk, 220 Speed, 36 HP
Substitute
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power (Fire)
Charge Beam

Finally, Scizor looks very good. Hope this helped!

Hmmm.... You've got me interested with Magnezone. Dual chop sounds good too. I really like Cloyster as if I can get the shell smash off the entire other team is in for a world of hurt but I'll test out Magnezone and see how it goes.

Just a small suggestion for your baton passer, I would consider Ninjask over Accelgor. Ninjask's speed boost coupled with focus sash and protect guarantees a pass of +2 speed, (Disregarding priority, damaging weather, and multi-hit moves) while also giving yourself the potential to pass a +2 attack with Swords Dance. Now of course, switching to Ninjask does cost you an extra 25% in Stealth Rock Damage. Analyzing the pros and cons through playtesting is always the best option, however I think Ninjask is a very considerable alternative. Swagger isn't reliable enough to be effective on this set, and I feel encore is a bit too situational for the fragility of the role.

But don't forget to test test test! Incorporating advice, and your own personal analysis is the best thing you can do for yourself.

^ Good idea with ninjask, however, I liked accelegor better because of the amazing encore tactic that screws up any hazard lead. But as you said, I shall test it and see how it goes. No harm in testing! Also, I like the idea of spikes instead instead of swagger as swagger is pretty useless but unfortunately I can't have encore, agility, baton pass, and spikes all in the same set because of breeding issues. I'm thinking about final gambit to maybe net a KO or to weaken something later in the game. What do you guys think?

If you want DG, scarftini is the only viable option. DG is a set you have to fully commit to. I personally dont recommend it for a team like this, but it's a lot of fun to use when testing.

Use the casual lead set for Accelgor
Accelgor @ focus sash
Timid
156/hp 48/Def 48/SpD 252/spe
Spikes
U-Turn
Recover / Yawn
Bug Buzz

This allows your baton passing to work, but then deal damage, and most hazard leads will just switch out of encore, and you don't have any good moves to really KO them. This gives you the chance to use recover, and or put the opponent to sleep, allowing your U-Turn to come in, and helping get some KO's.

You should add Dual Chops to Haxorus.

Heatran DV has covered

Starmie looks great

You MUST replace your cloyster, he cripples the team. With Magnezone, your team would do a great deal better.

With Scizor, get rid of Pursuit, and replace it with Roost. This allows him to live longer as a revenge killer.

Other than those few things, this is a pretty solid team.

Alright, don't know why everyone hates Cloyster so much. In fact, I just did some testing and found that it actually works better than Magnezone. About answers to powerful earthquakes, Cloyster has an insane base defense stat that allows me to come in on an Earthquake, Shell Smash, and then sweep. Also, with the set you gave me for Accelegor I can't really Baton Pass... Anyway, I forgot about Bug Buzz. I think I'll replace Swagger with Bug Buzz. Also, Roost on a choiced Scizor probably isn't the best idea...

o_O I didn't see the choice scarf... And yes you can baton pass with the new set...
DUDE U-TURN

And it does damage too, this makes it a little better.

The point of Baton Pass isn't to gain negative switch priority, its to give Haxorus a speed boost. U-Turn doesn't do that. I'd say he should give up Accelgor for Ninjask because Encore seems to risky to me and you won't gain as much since against Ninjask you can Sub as they Stealth Rocks and Swords Dance when they break the sub, making Haxorus even more fearsome, and therefore most people won't set up entry hazards against Ninjask for risk of it getting a substitute of unhindered, and if they do set up it benefits you that way too.

Thank you DV for explaining my point, and I'll try Ninjask for the sheer purpose of a substitute pass. I doubt it will get it off very often, but I'll test and see. I think I'm going to switch back in cloyster as I was doing much better with it than with Magnezone currently.

^With testing, you can't just take one day to test! You need to be testing through out this whole process, for example, if you put Cloyster in, my Heatran may be able to sweep your entire team, if he gets the boost he is supposed to D:

And with the team, I'd switch to Shedninja, he's a little better IMO.

It sounds like you want to replace Accelgor with Shedinja as a baton passer... Uhh, what?

Shedinja lacks the things that make a successful passer. First of all, it has NO bulk, and and second, it dies VERY easily because of the first point. It probably gets one boost set up, and because its so slow, it never gets to pass the boost. At least with Ninjask you're almost guaranteed to pull of a pass (unless you're up against Prankster+Taunt Pokemon) of some speed and some attack (if you run Swords Dance).

I do think that Accelgor should be replaced; it seems like a weak spot in your team. Trying Ninjask, possibly with Swords Dance, seems like the best replacement.

Also, looking at your team, you lack a solid fighting resist. I'd suggest the addition of Gliscor (SubProtect, TauntSD and ProtectSD are all solid Gliscor variants) instead of Cloyster. Once Poison Heal gets activated, Gliscor walls Breloom forever, 3HKOing it with Ice Fang (if I remember correctly).

Gliscor sounds awesome as you are very right about the fighting thing. Conkeldurr (that fat jerk) kind of sweeps me every time.

Also, I almost feel bad for a team who has to face a +2 speed +2 attack choice band Haxorus. Even Skarmory can't counter that.

Had you tried Haxorus against a Calm Mind Reuniclus? It it had already set-upped, maybe it can resist an Outrage. I don't really know, so I'm asking.

^ Haxorus OHKO's or Two-hit Ko's Reuniclus, regardless of Calm Minds which don't raise defense. And it couldn't have set up because I normally baton pass on the second or third turn.

Hazards...Where...You...At???

There's no Stealth Rock or Spikes at all in here. That sir, is Pokémon blasphemy. Stealth Rock, at minimum, is required on every single team, except for a team revolving specifically around Baton Pass. I would drop Dragon Pulse on Heatran for Stealth Rock, and switch LIfe Orb with Air Balloon, since it allows heatran to check things like Landorus when Air Balloon hasn't been broken, and allows you to switch into more things and get Stealth Rock up.

I see a distinct problem with Bulky Water types, especially Rotom-Wash, and then Starmie. Either can outspeed your entire team save for Accelgor, and they can hit everything at least neutrally. (Wash Rotom can't hit Haxorus, but it can Will o Wisp.) I would switch out Accelgor entirely for something that helps against these pokemon, like Gastrodon, Blissey, or a Wash Rotom of your own. As much as Shell Smash is great, I think it's overrated on Cloyster. I think it'd be a better idea to switch out Cloyster for something that will counter fighting types like Breloom or Conkeldurr. (BTW, Breloom just uses Seed Bomb on Cloyster, using Cloyster to counter is not the greatest idea.) Gliscor, Landorus, or Skarmory will all help with this problem immensely. Landorus or Gliscor would fit better, as they can serve a better offensive role than Skarmory can.

Bulky waters are indeed a problem. You actually read my mind on Rotom-W, as that has been a serious problem. Starmie gets kind of screwed over by Bug Buzz from Accelegor or a pursuit/U-trun from Scizor. I'll retry Stealth Rock on Heatran, because you are kind of right about entry hazards.

I still love my Accelgor, and I really don't want to replace it, but Gliscor is starting to get me more and more interested. I think I'll swap out Cloyster for a Gliscor varient and I'll test a bunch of them to see which one works best. Thanks for the rate!

Back