The Smashers ~ Check Out Discussion Thread! - Lock please

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Smashers ~ Tier List Discussion Starts Soon! Join if you want to take part!

You mean side special? It's all about the timing. In wifi-lag though it really is hard to do. It's pretty messed up.

RE: The Smashers ~ Tier List Discussion Starts Soon! Join if you want to take part!

Wi-fi lag made online battling suck for me. A definite problem is that my Internet is the slowest.

In addition to Tyraniking's points about Green Hill Zone, its also got walk off edges, like Bridge of Eldin does, which allow for guaranteed death infinites.

Tier List discussion will start this weekend. I invite everyone to take part, and I'd advise you to learn to use spoiler tags, if you don't know how to already.

hipoke said:
You mean side special? It's all about the timing. In wifi-lag though it really is hard to do. It's pretty messed up.

Ah. I didn't know that. I thought you could just jam side special a lot and you'll combo.

EDIT: @Bippa, my thoughts on tiers are pretty similar to everyone else's, even though I don't play competitively.

I wanted peoples opinions, whether competitive or not, on whether Meta Knight should be banned completely from competitive play. After Genesis 2, the discussion about it came up again, so I wanted some opinions. I believe he shouldn't be banned, since there are characters with even match ups with him(yeah for Pika :D)
@Bippa: I'd love a tier list discussion, since the current tier list is a little weird(yeah for Snake no longer #2!)

I don't think meta knight should be banned. It's all fair game in my opinion.

I really don't know what to do with Meta Knight. On one hand, he's winning more than 50% of the tournament money, and he's responsible for Brawl's unhealthy metagame (Characters would greatly change positions on the tier list if their worst matchup, MK, was no longer around). On the other hand, a banned character in Smash Bros is unprecedented, even in the past with characters in a similar spot as Meta Knight (Pikachu in Smash 64).

I support the ban though. Then maybe Peach can reach High Tier. ^_^

I think he should be. He's way too easy to use.

It's not that he's easy to use(getting REALLY good with him does take difficulty) it's that he wins everything, BUT, not all the high tier is because of Meta Knight(though Wolf's high raise of 6 places was effected by his even matchup with MK), notice, how Snake was #2 for a LONG time(now #3), even though he has a disadvantage from Meta Knight, he is STILL top tier, and Meta Knight going away wouldn't change his position, same with Diddy Kong, and Falco. Although if a character does do better if they have a better match up against MK than others, it more matters on the amount of high tier characters they can face. Pikachu for example, 50-50 matchup with Snake and MK, Advantage over all Starfox characters, and advantage over King DDD. Another thing is, some characters have HUGE potential, but it hasn't seen play. For example Fox, in Japan, he's #5, here, he's #15. If people don't play a character, the character can't be high tier. There's my tier opinion.
Side Note: Pika may have a similar spot as MK, but, not many people play competitive SSB 64.

I dunno I don't use him and I've never actually been beaten by meta knight but, I think that if he is that good ban him.

@jirachinick: If you compare him to other characters, he is very easy to use. We can agree that Wario is harder to use than Meta Knight, right? We can agree that Diddy is harder to use than Meta Knight, right? For example, his moves are very accurate, but Diddy has a harder time landing hits.

I agree, he isn't the hardest character to use(stares at Olimar), but he definitely isn't the easiest(Kirby). Some characters are REALLY hard to use, much harder than Meta Knight, but MK is NOT really easy to use.

Actually, I think Meta Knight has the smallest learning curve of the entire cast. Thats what makes him a dominant force, and the game's best secondary.

interesting thought...
The problem is, a lot of people come up to me, and say "Meta Knight is so easy to use, just trap your opponent into Tornado spams and nair spam, and your fine."
MK is definitely, the best back up, but the easiest. Though, I seem out-voted, and out-debated. I'll experiment tomorrow.
Does anyone try to use characters from different tiers?

Meta Knight's Tornado lock is really good, and he's got 4 different ways of recovering. So he won't die easily.

I got Marth in Top Tier, Zero Suit Samus in High Tier, Peach in Middle, and Zelda in Low.

Also, FYI, if anyone wants to know about who has the highest learning curve, its generally considered to be either Yoshi or Pokemon Trainer.

Hey guys I'm in now (just like the last ssb group.) I don't really have much to say about tiers since I'm not all that competitive, but what do you mean by "learning curve" Bippa?

Bippa201 said:
Meta Knight's Tornado lock is really good, and he's got 4 different ways of recovering. So he won't die easily.

I got Marth in Top Tier, Zero Suit Samus in High Tier, Peach in Middle, and Zelda in Low.

Also, FYI, if anyone wants to know about who has the highest learning curve, its generally considered to be either Yoshi or Pokemon Trainer.
Pokemon Trainer took me a long time to get really good with. Squirtle and Charizard I pretty much have mastered. It's getting used to Ivysaur that is the problem for me. Its not that I'm bad with Ivysaur, but I'm not as good with him as the other two.

Tier-wise I can't really contribute much to the discussion since I've never been to an actual tournament for it or have any idea about usage stats. I don't really just wifi battle against random people either.

Mabye we could, just for fun, have a tournament of only high tiers, then only middle tiers, then only low tiers. Just a suggestion...

EDIT: WOO! 500th post!

We'll start Tier List Discussion today. It will last until August 6th.

To create a group tier list, rank all 37 characters (Being the 35 you select on the Character Selection Screen, and Sheik and Zero Suit Samus, Don't rank Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard as separate characters. Just as Pokemon Trainer). Also, don't group them into tiers, that will be decided after everyone's input. Finally, post them in spoiler tags, so that we don't get a few long pages, when there isn't much information on them.

Also, please try to post more than your list in your post. Explaining some of your decisions would be fantastic! Try to avoid personal bias in your list.

Here is mine:
Meta Knight
Diddy Kong
Snake
Falco
Marth
Olimar
Ice Climbers
Wario
Pikachu
Lucario
Zero Suit Samus
King Dedede
Toon Link
Mr. Game and Watch
Fox
Wolf
Peach
Donkey Kong
Kirby
ROB
Pit
Sonic
Ike
Sheik
Luigi
Ness
Yoshi
Pokemon Trainer
Mario
Bowser
Lucas
Samus
Captain Falcon
Link
Zelda
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf

pokenerd: That sounds like a really cool idea for some tournaments.

RE: The Smashers ~ Tier List Discussion is Underway! Check out Post #59 for details.

Here's mine:
Sonic
Toon link
Pikachu
Ike
Link
Samus
Kirby
Meta knight
Marth
Luigi
Didy kong