Community The Rock & Fossil Collecting Thread

Some guys working on the road dumped some dirt on our hill. I found this at the bottom:

cx97AXE.jpg

dQ8vTDZ.jpg

My biggest Lepidodendron (scale tree) bark imprint yet. Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to see unless it catches the light just right. I probably won't be keeping it on display because I can't see it at all in my room. Dx

I also found this little piece of bryozoan in the same patch I found the crinoid stem I posted before:

qL6pHUe.jpg

Where you live? Seems i need to go there for Fossil Hunting ^_^

you find a Trilobites let me know please i'll pay $$ for them :)

Where you live? Seems i need to go there for Fossil Hunting ^_^

you find a Trilobites let me know please i'll pay $$ for them :)
Eastern Kentucky, but northern Kentucky's where you can find the nice marine stuff. I've read that Kentucky is an excellent state to fossil-hunt because 99% of our rocks are sedimentary.

My area doesn't have trilobites, unfortunately. I'd love to find one, too!

Been a while since my last post. Fossil-hunting hasn't been very kind to me lately. I did find something neat today, though.

C9td3vQ.jpg

Another Lepidodendron (scale tree) fossil, but actually a trunk this time! Much cooler than those two flat imprints I found before. :D

It's about a foot long (my largest fossil yet) and looks a lot neater in-person. I might try taking a photo with different lighting later to see if I can capture the details better.

EDIT: Slightly better pics.

oC91fPG.jpg

EDIT 2: Turns out it's actually a Diaphorodendron, a scale tree (Lepidodendrales) related to Lepidodendron.

Last edited:
Anyway, ill just post my collection highlights.
you guys can ask for close ups if you like.
IMG_0363.JPG IMG_0338.JPG IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0348.JPG IMG_0341.JPG

Last edited:
Been a while since my last post. Fossil-hunting hasn't been very kind to me lately. I did find something neat today, though.

C9td3vQ.jpg

Another Lepidodendron (scale tree) fossil, but actually a trunk this time! Much cooler than those two flat imprints I found before. :D

It's about a foot long (my largest fossil yet) and looks a lot neater in-person.

Now thats a high quality find :)

Anyway, ill just post my collection highlights.
you guys can ask for close ups if you like.

What animals were these fossils from? :)

0.0 Where do you find all of this?
Nice fossils you've got there! I think I see some crinoids and bryozoa. I'd love to find more marine stuff like this.

Most of my fossils were found in my yard in eastern Kentucky. Dad's been doing landwork for about a year and a half, exposing a lot of earth. Sometimes I spot a fossil poking out of the hill, ground, or a dirt pile. The work has weakened the ground quite a bit as well, so more fossils sometimes wash out after a good rain.

Now thats a high quality find :)
Thanks! Definitely my most-impressive find yet (though my Goniatite is still my favorite). The excitement, cold air, and lugging it inside made my chest hurt, but it was worth it. :D

(It weighs 24 lbs.)

My best finds ever, I couldn't take home.
They were part of a raptor's foot, and an Anomalocaris claw.
both were found in a protected area.

My best finds ever, I couldn't take home.
They were part of a raptor's foot, and an Anomalocaris claw.
both were found in a protected area.
Bummer, especially that Anomalocaris claw (having a Pokémon item based on it: Anorith's Claw Fossil). :(

I've never seen a dinosaur fossil IRL let alone find one. I think I read that my state doesn't have dinosaur fossils (due to the geologic age being older than the dinos) and only one reptile was ever found here. I reckon we've just got plants and invertebrates.

My best Calamites yet! Probably my most visually-appealing fossil overall as well.

d0ptCQY.jpg

Last edited:
Back