Community The Rock & Fossil Collecting Thread

A few new things:

KoRRa6Q.jpg

Rhynchonellid brachiopod. I actually found this one around the same time I found the other brachiopod-looking fossils, but only recently took a photo for reasons unknown. It also came from the driveway.[/spoiler]

jDppGv2.jpg

It was in the creek, but likely came from someone's driveway (since these bryozoa aren't local).

akX8ewH.jpg
EYgHpES.jpg

I found this literally right next to the fossil above. I'm not certain, but I think it's various crinoid (sea lily) bits. Poor thing has definitely seen better times. I wish I could find one that's more in-tact...

kxLZVGi.jpg
XuecWJK.jpg

I thought this was a piece of nodule or water-polished slate (both of which I pick up for Mom's jewelry) when I spotted it in the creek, but noticed this flower-like pattern on the bottom when I picked it up. Not sure what it is for certain, but I've been told that it resembles Sphenophyllum (leaf whorl of an ancient horsetail besides Calamites), but the 3D preservation is unusual.

Lastly, here's a bit of a lesser-detailed one. I saw a piece of cracked red slate in the creek and curiously pried it open revealing these light "startburst" shapes (a little hard to see -- click the pic for larger view if needed). I'm pretty sure these are Annularia (Calamites leaf whorls).

Last edited:
Very cool fossils :)

I often Wonder if Pokemon's Leaf Stone is just a radioactive fossil.

Very cool fossils :)

I often Wonder if Pokemon's Leaf Stone is just a radioactive fossil.
I've been wanting to find a fossil with a big leaf on it so I could call it a Leaf Stone. lol

Official art shows the stone with a green leaf that appears to be embedded in the rock rather than a fossil print of one. Maybe someone could find a leaf fossil on green slate to pass as one? (I just have black, red, and orange slate here.)

Ahhh ok :) I just checked theres some good leaf fossils in slate on ebay :)
That they do! I didn't even know that leaves could preserve that well or in some of those colors. Cool stuff. :)

- - -

Found this today. Not sure what it is, but I thought it looked neat. Seems marine.

y1aK9Nt.jpg

(If anyone's wondering why I'm not adding most of these to the OP, it's because I'm only listing my tip-top favorites there.)

Last edited:
Found another brachiopod in the driveway. :)

LdWMjK6.jpg

I also found this oddly-textured rock in the creek, which I think might be crinoid or fossil worm burrows. No positive ID yet.

aMydDis.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like fossil worm stuff to me :)

Almost looks like the brachiopod fossil is made up of Quartz or Calcite :)

Looks like fossil worm stuff to me :)

Almost looks like the brachiopod fossil is made up of Quartz or Calcite :)
As far as I understand, it's pretty common for shells to calcify. This, however, if my only one that has.

- - -

Found a new Calamites pith cast today. It's a big'n. :)

bkrosUQ.jpg

I also found another brachipod (or possibly a section of horn coral) today, but the pictures didn't come out very well. I'll take some new ones soon and post it.

Last edited:
Found a cool chunk of horn coral. :)

dYNpsNt.jpg

A couple more possible brachiopods (including the one I mentioned in my last post):

htersdN.jpg
gY5Wlwb.jpg

My longest Calamites fossil thus far (about a foot), though it broke during excavation. ><

nV5eIam.jpg

And this... thing. The blue flakes look like shell material and are iridescent Confirmed to be an eroded cross-section of a brachiopod or bivalve:

7Hx3CTe.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if some of these will glow under a UV light. Typically works with Short Wave UV and very rarely Long Wave.

I wonder if some of these will glow under a UV light. Typically works with Short Wave UV and very rarely Long Wave.

I don't know... got a UV light to spare?

- - -

Sat in the driveway again looking for fossils. I found a few things, but this one was probably the most visually-appealing (horn coral section in chert):

C5rEqSw.jpg

Also found another (tiny) brachiopod:

mU49Q4H.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, that's fine. Didn't actually expect you to. :p

- - -

My newest fossil, Stigmaria (root of an ancient lycopsid tree like Lepidodendron "scale tree" and Sigillaria). I had previously thought that the oddly-textured black thing in my main post was Stigmaria (what it was initially ID'd as), but it's actually a siderite (or manganese) nodule, making this my first actual Stigmaria fossil.

K2zYP9v.jpg

I also found another brachiopod in the driveway:

aQVDZq1.jpg[img]

Last edited:
Nice Fossils there :)

My Dad sent me some Amber awile ago but no bugs or anything in it :(

Are the pics showing up for anyone else? I can't see the pics hosted by imgur. :(

Nice Fossils there :)

My Dad sent me some Amber awile ago but no bugs or anything in it :(

Would've been neat if it had (Old Amber!), but at least amber is a fossil itself.

- - -

A few new finds (using Photobucket since imgur has been giving me a lot of issues as of late):

DSCF6380_sml_zpsqsfeyvqm.jpg

A tiny brachiopod found at the train tracks a few days ago. It's about the size of my fingernail.

DSCF6354_zps10me19wh.jpg

An... iguana head!? Nope, it's Stigmaria (lycopod root).

DSCF6356_zpsjndjkvxh.jpg

The "iguana" next to a bigger chunk of Stigmaria.

DSCF6362_zpshgxg2jcf.jpg

And a fossil from the driveway gravel, a section through 3+ crystallized horn corals.

Last edited:
Back