Pokemon The Nostalgia Thread

Do you still play old Pokemon?

• Total voters

Vulpix-core

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey
(I think this is in the right place, and if it's not, please move it)

I created this thread so people could talk about old Pokemon. And mostly so I could see how many people are still playing older gens. (Diamond and Pearl down) I'm still playing Ruby, and FireRed, is anyone else?
I just recently started rewatching Pokemon Advanced (Hoenn is my favorite region) and I'm loving it. (No matter how bad people say it was)
I feel like we're forgetting the GBA generations, and even I, who got into Pokemon at around Diamond/Pearl, still insisted upon playing the older games. I hope people are still playing those generations. They're really the most important parts of Pokemon! And I can't stand to see them forgotten!

Haha I'm playing Ruby too. Ruby was probably my favorite Pokemon game. I remember how foolish I was when I was little playing it. I used to only train my starter, and by the time I reached the Pokemon league, I had a level 100 Blaziken and like level 40 pokemon from the victory road. Stats never occured to me.

Heh. I find it funny that a lot of 16 year olds these days got into pokemon with 3rd gen, but I've been playing since Red and Blue. Of course at the time that I got Blue, Gold and Silver were probably out, but the point stands that I've been playing pokemon since even before I could read. Having played through all the gens in order of release, 3rd gen actually remains my favorite. Ruby & Sapphire were good. FireRed and LeafGreen were decent remakes, but I didn't care for them all too much. But Emerald.... Oh Emerald was just that one amazing game that makes the whole generation so good for me. I'm not sure what it is about it, but Emerald just has so many little details that make it way better than Sapphire for me. I still really enjoy playing through it once in a while. Emerald was definitely my favorite game that makes Hoenn my favorite generation and region.

I started with pokemon blue, which is my favorite, and my favorite of the anime is still the first series, season 1.

'Here comes the squirtle squad' is probably my favorite episode and the pokerap my favorite of the songs.

Woah, we're a little young for nostalgia, folks. I did have Yellow, but I didn't know about a TV show. I also remember going into my backyard and collecting small bugs and worms because Pokemon wasn't invented yet.

Hahah
I knew about Pokemon since i was little, and I'm actually looking into buying a new copy of Platinum.
(foolish preteen me lost it) But they're SO DARN expenseve!

Nope. I haven't played even White for ages. Not to talk about older games... I never start new games (except in Blue I have started several, so I'm not emotionally attached to those save files). I wish I never started a new game in Blue though, either. It would be reaaaally cool to see what my first team was like... I have NO idea. But I'm pretty sure I started with Squirtle and I probably had less the 4 real team members.

What a coincidence, I'm writing an article linked to this very subject.

Constantly playing Red and Blue, I have to say for nostalgic reasons a lot of the time. Music and graphics hit me the most. But they are two of my favourite games. To me, only Gen 1 or 2 can be considered nostalgic. I think later gens are losing the touch of magic, D/P/Pt/B/W never hit it for me. The updated graphics look imperfect, especially in B/W.
LG was my most frequently played Pokemon game though, absolutely loved it. However I also loved G/S/C/HG/SS, which may say more about the Story and Pokemon rather than updated Graphics.

Credit where credit is due, B/W had the one of the most iconic characters, N, the best storyline and one of the most amazingly, epic ending themes I have heard in a video game. Scratch that, one of the best THEMES I have heard. Period. However I didn't take too well to the Pokemon, Characters and Adventure as I did with the classics, which unfortunately makes 5th gen the worst gen for me, shame as it had something really good in the mix. It was also a nic gesture to remix the Red vs. Blue theme.

Just taking off into Route 1 for the hundredth time to have another adventure is just great every single time. New Pokemon to meet, new wild encounters, new battle situations. I know there is a point where it boils down to the same thing again and again, but Red and Blue just doesn't do that, it's exciting, it's got masses of replay value and you have the adventure, you catch the Pokemon and you become the champion. For G/S/C to have another region and the old region open to you, it really gave you the sense of travelling the world, meeting new people and having a much broader goal to aim for. Characters from Red and Blue set 3 years ago showed you their development, Red gone missing, Blue becoming a gym leader and Team Rocket rising from the ashes. All of it was great story telling, although it may not appear very important to the character, it felt important to you. It felt like a throwback and how everything changes. Not enough games do that nowadays, especially not Pokemon. A Pokemon MMO, seriously, it's meant to be.

But yeah, old games will never be forgotten, I only play R/B/Y/G/S/C anymore. I might get Grey if it comes out, but the originals are still the best. I'm sure everyone crazy about the Pokemon games could go on forever about these games, we just don't have the time.

PokeMedic said:
Woah, we're a little young for nostalgia, folks. I did have Yellow, but I didn't know about a TV show. I also remember going into my backyard and collecting small bugs and worms because Pokemon wasn't invented yet.

Oh Satoshi, stop play with that mantis

I am trying to aquire all of the Third Gen games. Even in my fanfics my character lives in Hoenn! And in all of my e-mails I have a "Greetings from Pacifidlog" signature. If you haven't guessed, I'm quite fond on Generation III. And Bagons. Lots and lots of Bagons.

I remember playing a Sapphire Nuzlocke. I felt 9 again.

I was really stupid as well. I think I took this to the E4:

Swampert "Zania"
Muddy Water
Tackle?
Take Down
Water Gun

And I won, no sweat. It was like Lv. 80, and the fillers were random wild Pokemon I got that were completely untrained. I thought I was so good at it lol. There was this CPU that said "Better to have a team of equally strong Pokemon than to have one really powerful Pokemon. I was like "SCREW IT, I HAVE A LV. 100 TORTERRA AND I'M PWNIN!"

I play yellow version in a yellow gameboy color almost every day, for the nostalgia factor. It was my first game when I turned 5 in 2000, along with a crystal version which I lost a year ago.

Does anybody worry about iv/ev when they play 3rd gen? I didn't play anything in gen 2, are there iv/evs?

Torterror said:
Does anybody worry about iv/ev when they play 3rd gen? I didn't play anything in gen 2, are there iv/evs?
EV:s and IV:s exist since gen one, they were just very different... the EV/IV things we know were introduced in gen 3.
I did not "worry about them" in gen 3, though I knew about them to some degree.

Read more:

EVs

IV:s

I still play a 3rd gen game, but I've lost practically all memory of it ever since I lost all my DS games- but one, and it's not doing good now. I have three 3DS games, but I still miss my DS games... one I missed the most was PMD: Sky and PMD: Blue. Those that I can still remember. Others, they are a faded memory that really needs to be found. Just three- PMD games and HeartGold- are all I remember. Other, I hope for the memories to return. ;(

(I remember being a Vulpix in PMD: Sky, and Totodile in PMD: Blue. My first Pokemon, naturally, was a Totodile named CuteHeart. She's now a Feraligatr.)

I can't play old Pokemon games. 'Cause when I play the new ones I'm like "Oh sweet." but then when I go back to the old games, it's like
"Eww. How can I have ever played this. The new one is better."

I still play my old games! I think my favorite is either Yellow or Crystal version!!! I just bought " hey you, Pikachu" recently!!!! Xp I like to buy the vintage pokemon stuff from the late ninties I grew up with. Good times.

Back