The New Spelling and Grammar Rankings System: Check last post for updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The New Spelling and Grammar Rankings System

Negative reps generally make someone upset. However, you need to carry yourself in the right way, and ask them how you can improve. You may even need to PM them to do so. Tips always help. :)

Usually the member is required to tell the reason for the negative rep. A URL should be included to tell the member what should be fixed.

That makes sense. It doesn't hurt to have a small paragraph to show your rep. Usually, reps are percieved as a spammy line to say you like or dislike somebody. But saying a little more about their spelling and grammar and giving an application when they have bad spelling and grammar would allow the member to understand their mistakes. :)

The problem with this is that no enforcement is going anywhere with this. Seriously, who's been warned for a bad rep yet?

I've use URLS, but it's rather troublesome.

You guys are getting too strict, giving negative reps for typos. For example, if I type "I am stuck on the first floor of Sky Pilar", and I speak good English otherwise, it's obviously a typo error. You have to look at the person's posts in general, and you can't just look at one posts and say "omg lol k negative rep time".

Also, you guys are mean to foreigners. If I type "I is stuck on the first floor of Sky Pillar", there is a chance that the person may not be a native speaker and just doesn't know his grammar well. If he makes an effort to use punctuation and has otherwise good typing skills, you shouldn't go ahead and give him a negative rep just for this error.

But of course, I pity the fool who is stuck on the first floor of Sky Pillar.

Lol. I would too (pity that person, not being stuck. I pwn on a Mach Bike) , but I gave up playing those games.

Typos like that don't normally deserve a negative, but when it continuously exists on over half of their posts, don't you think they need to re-read their posts (or get Firefox)? Nya?

As with the non-natives, I have no comment towards that (because I'm stuck on the fence. It's very uncomfortable). I didn't speak English until I had to go to school. Talk about being out of the picture. I feel one can improve, but your point is correct nevertheless...

Good point. But those that have been told to use Firefox's spell check or typing it up in a word processor are mainly people who fail at typing in the first place. Well, if typos are made repeatedly, I guess you could go ahead and give the person a negative.

Also, remove negative reps when the person improves.

I meant First Floor as in Ground Floor. Oops.

Well I typed this:
"Way to much pokemon, 30 pokemon is just way to much. Normal decks consist of 18-22 pokemon."
and Dia gave me a negative for "much" instead of "many". The only reason why he gave me a negative was because I told him his deck needed to be stream lined, so is this worth a negative?

Personally, I think the grammar issue is a decent idea. I can't really think of anyone who'd prefer talking to a completely incomprehensible person, much less one who spoke random bits of gibberish. Typos are not the same thing as having poor grammar and spelling. They are typographical errors, defined as errors due to mechanical failure or slips of the hand or finger, but excludes errors of ignorance. Everyone makes them. They should, for the most part, be disregarded when viewing an individual's posts to rate and review their aptitude in grammar and spelling.

greenbeetless said:
Well I typed this:
"Way to much pokemon, 30 pokemon is just way to much. Normal decks consist of 18-22 pokemon."
and Dia gave me a negative for "much" instead of "many". The only reason why he gave me a negative was because I told him his deck needed to be stream lined, so is this worth a negative?

Doesn't seem very worthy to me. However, they are correct about the usage of the word 'many.' As a general rule, if the noun being described is singular, then you use much. For example, "I ate too much cake." If the noun is plural, however, you use 'many.' For example, "I have many Pokémon. Would you like to trade?"

Just to let you know.

~Magma King~ said:
Person 2: Sky Pillar, it's near [Name of that town :p]
Pacifidlog.

n00bs haven't been told about this system, so they'd give the member who gave them a negative rep just because they gave him/her a negative rep. It shows the member is a child, and can't take positive criticism.

LightLucario Spammed my rep thing and 4 others being
ice_brakerz
LucarioXtreme
Sweet Dawn
Pokémaniac
Saying I like Spamming

Dia (1) - Last updated 11-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Negative (-1): I agree with KG. Spammer.

Echosong (6) - Last updated 11-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Positive (+1): Has ok spelling/grammar.

luckyluigi7 (20) - Last updated 11-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Positive (+1): Your spelling and grammar really isn't that bad. Your posts aren't spammy. I'll give you a positive.

Kevin Garrett (29) - Last updated 10-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Negative (-2): He likes to spam.

Charizard88 (11) - Last updated 10-26-2008, 02:02 PM
Negative (-1): Your grammar is not very good you forget your periods and a little more smaller issues. I know your new but get in the swing fast.

I thought they weren't suposed to rate for spamming. Also I don't spam.

Armissy2 (0) - Last updated Yesterday, 11:16 PM
Negative (-1): I agree with Tyler McCutchan Know it all and rude about it.

That negative rep Tyler gave was over a year ago, and this person felt the need to reply to it on a system that isn't used this way.

You're far from a know-it-all. Rather biting, but that's their problem.

Dia, just because I have typos doesn't mean that you don't.

If you want to report someone for rep abuse, please report the user by using the !report button. Just go to any of that member's posts and report it, but specify that it's for the rep system abuse. We are not using this thread any longer. Please note that ordinary moderators are unable to handle rep reports.

A 3 point warning (30%) is given to members who abuse the rep system.

*Locked*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back