The New Spelling and Grammar Rankings System: Check last post for updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Spelling and grammar usage are at an all-time low on these forums. To pressure people into looking at their keyboards when typing, there is now a spelling and grammar rating systems in place.

You can now warn up to 5 members a day who use atrocious spelling and grammar (do not warn people for making a few mistakes here and there, like, "You missed a comma there, so HA!"). You can also give positive ratings to users who always type eloquently. When giving users a negative reputation, be sure to say what they can improve on, and cite the post you saw the poor usage. This system is not meant for "well, in general, you suck at grammar in your posts." You MUST cite a single post when giving a single warning.

The system is not meant for ANYTHING ELSE, including SPAM. Just spelling, grammar, sentences, whatever. This is meant to both force people to double-check their posts before posting and teach people what they can improve on.

Every month or so, the reputations will be reset, so if you are indeed improving your writing, those negative reputations will not hinder you. Unless English is not your first language, having a very low spelling and grammar ranking could result in a temporary ban.

People who abuse this system, even just once, will receive a three-day ban. A second time it'll be two weeks. Any more and it'll be a permaban. We are totally serious and will enforce these punishments, which means a 30% warning, the highest out of all the warning types. To report someone who has given you an unfair ranking, post in this thread. report the offender in any post of his, but specify that it is a rep abuse.

Announcement thing:

Holy Star said:
We've had some problems with reported posts and with some members using the reputation system lately.

While the Report button should be used whenever you deem a post offensive and wish for a Moderator to see to it quickly, there comes a point where this is being overused. For example:

-Reporting a post that you feel is in violation of the rules, but actually is within the rules of the forum. Please refer to the forum rules before you report a post! You might be in error.
-Reporting a person for personal reasons. Reporting because of differences you have with a member is not an avenue to take. You can discuss your differences with that person over PM or inform a Moderator of the situation through a PM.
-Reporting with a pompous, authoritative attitude. Perhaps clicking the "Report" button is the equivalent to some people as being on a power trip, but it's this kind of negativity that we don't like to see in our members.

Anyone who abuses the Report system will be warned, with continued abuse resulting in stricter punishments.

The "Spelling/Grammar" Reputation system, originally intended to improve members' Spelling and Grammar, has seen a few unsavory characters corrupt the system.

-A system of "I scratch your back you scratch mine" (that is, you rep me and then I'll rep you) has been seen put out into the open in people's Custom User Titles, Signatures, and possibly other areas as well for gaining Reputation points. This undermines the whole purpose of the system and will not be tolerated.
-"Retaliation Reps," where one member gives another a negative rep and the receiver of that rep does the same to the first member, are not allowed either.

Anyone found doing either of these be warned at first, but stricter punishments will be enforced if such activity continues.

Recall from this announcement that any abuses of the Reputation system will be dealt with by a three (3) day ban, with further abuses resulting in a two (2) week ban and finally with a permanent ban.

NN: Basically, we're trying to say that if you have any "please rate my grammar", "here's a positive, please rate my grammar" or "rate my grammar and I'll rate yours" anywhere, you are liable for a 30% warning under Reputation System Abuse. I will go ahead to remove any of these that I see.

RE: The New Spelling and Grammar Rankings System

This sounds a like a great idea. It's too bad mods don't have it though. True, there would probably be way to many votes and comments on them. Nice idea! :)

I would like to report some one who didn't give a example for giving me a - rep.

Bulbasaur45S said:
You have horribel spelling and can't type correctly

as you can see he give no example and he even misspelled a word.
Thank you.

Just in the forums I frequent, I have already seen improvements. :D

My reputation said:
Ho-Oh_Master (0) - Last updated Today, 05:04 am

Negative (-1): You keep spamming even in the chat. :/ No hard feelings though. Just spam less, please?

Unknown (0) - Last updated Today, 03:45 am

Negative (-1): I'd recommend reading what WPM put in the rules.

xxashxx (4) - Last updated Yesterday, 11:38 pm

Negative (-1): Dude you should accept people the way they are.

luckyluigi7 (1) - Last updated Yesterday, 05:34 pm

Neutral (0): You're not as bad as everyone says you are. You just give a lot of negative feeback.

Andyman (0) - Last updated Yesterday, 04:14 pm

Negative (-1): In general you spam to much D:<

Furroshi (4) - Last updated Yesterday, 04:10 pm

Negative (-1): dont spam so much. actually try to help

TailsLuver9191 (0) - Last updated Yesterday, 03:23 pm

Negative (-1): Your a meanie!

Yearly Lump Wages (0) - Last updated Yesterday, 02:22 pm

Negative (-1): I can rep?

I have the most abused reputation in the world =O

P.S. Just let me keep them until I beat scampy!

Hey, I gave you a neutral. You just give everyone a lot of negative feedback. Your spelling isn't as bad as everyone makes it sound... truly. :)

*sigh* Rep systems will always be decided by favoritism, regardless of what exactly the rep is for. Not my idea of a good system.

Nevermind.. yearly lump wages changed it... TO THIS >:[
my reputation said:
Yearly Lump Wages (0) - Last updated Today, 09:39 am

Negative (-1): You post saying that other people are n00bs and all, but in truth you're just as bad >:/

darkrai1246 said:
My reputation said:
Ho-Oh_Master (0) - Last updated Today, 05:04 am

Negative (-1): You keep spamming even in the chat. :/ No hard feelings though. Just spam less, please?

Unknown (0) - Last updated Today, 03:45 am

Negative (-1): I'd recommend reading what WPM put in the rules.

xxashxx (4) - Last updated Yesterday, 11:38 pm

Negative (-1): Dude you should accept people the way they are.

luckyluigi7 (1) - Last updated Yesterday, 05:34 pm

Neutral (0): You're not as bad as everyone says you are. You just give a lot of negative feeback.

Andyman (0) - Last updated Yesterday, 04:14 pm

Negative (-1): In general you spam to much D:<

Furroshi (4) - Last updated Yesterday, 04:10 pm

Negative (-1): don't spam so much. actually try to help

TailsLuver9191 (0) - Last updated Yesterday, 03:23 pm

Negative (-1): Your a meanie!

Yearly Lump Wages (0) - Last updated Yesterday, 02:22 pm

Negative (-1): I can rep?

I have the most abused reputation in the world =O

P.S. Just let me keep them until I beat scampy!

I don't think this kind of thing is very fair.
Most of them are not even rating him for his spelling/grammar (which isn't actually that bad) they're rating him for spamming and such.
Granted, Darkrai1246 does spam sometimes...
But what does that have to do with spelling and grammar?

darkrai, your not a very bad person, your just posting like a n00b and making people believe your ARE a n00b...

This is working out well...I already have 2 negative refs from STAFF without an explanation:

http://screencast.com/t/GVRj6DdJ3

Staff members don't need explanations...do they?

Yeah, because one person said to Darkrai1246 "you're a meanie" and for no reason at all. :/

We need to have a whole set of guidlines. WPM did present them clearly. It's hard for me to just comment them on their spelling and I will admit that. What we need just to comment them on just their spelling and merely say something like "you're a nice guy and a great with spelling and grammar." Then, the mods wouldn't be so disappointed. I don't want there to be confusion. :)

People are abusing this. People who've held grudges on others will just give them negative reps...

You're right. It isn't the mods fault. It is us members who need to stop posting for revenge. WPM was just trying to make it more fair and see how we think of the spelling and grammar around here.

My grammar sucks
My keyboard doesn't regularly register keys properly and sometimes I forget to change my posts

At least there is now an official thread for the topic :F.

I agree that it can be helpful, but altogether what I have seen so far, has been spam/flaming on the rep page. O_O.
Let us hope this subsides..

Peta said:
My grammar sucks
My keyboard doesn't regularly register keys properly and sometimes I forget to change my posts
Are you my clone?

Well, maybe this will hopefully try to help you post right

(If you have problems with your grammar, try putting your post through Microsoft Word first. It will notify you of errors in spelling and you can fix them. Then copy it here)

Didn't WPM say that? That's what I do if I really want to say a word I don't know how to spell. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back