The Math Thread!

Was supposed to be the best high school in the area. Don't even ask me, it was really stupid. I didn't want to go there but I didn't have a choice >.>

Taken honors alegebra 2 a year early (skiped a math grade :)). I say math is easy and always makes sense because it is well math, but imaginary numbers X_X a number that isn't real but it is even though it can't be and it is a letter on top of that. :headbang. (just wanted to vent)
Math is easy, so long as you can understand and comprehend it, all you do is find patterns.

I thought that proofs would have easy for the most part, but memorizing all the theorems made it way more difficult then it needed to be.
Like Slick, I took Algebra 1 in 8th grade, Geometry in 9th, and Algebra 2 this year.

I'm in 9th grade and I'm taking Pre-AP geometry or something like that. I took Algebra I last year. Math is probably my strongest subject. Had we not started doing proofs this week, I would not understand what you guys are talking about. But yea, they're pretty tough to memorize. I mean there's a few obvious ones, but then there's ones that seem difficult to understand.

The Fallen One said:
Proofs make me cry. On the inside.

If we could like posts, I would like this.

We did proofs for almost half of the year last year in Geometry, and I hated them.

Algebra 2 is really easy this year, considering my Algebra 1 teacher in 7th grade taught us the exact same thing he taught his Algebra 2 class. We've been doing these piecewise functions lately and they're pretty easy to understand, I've just forgotten how to graph quadratics so I cannot get all the extra credit on our latest assignment :O

I'm in Algebra 2 right now as a Freshman and it hasn't been that hard yet. Doing things like Linear Programming is actually interesting to me, it's an obviously practical use of Algebra. It reminds me how much I hated Geometry.

I hate proofs... I really do... I thought the point of algebra was to solve 2x + 79/3 = something... Like, IF I WANNA PROVE A TRIANGLE IS A TRIANGLE, ill just go back in time, and have someone else do it! Now, im stcuk in calculus proving limits! I hate proofs!

We could change this to the "Homework" thread, so people could get help with science, math, and other types of homework.
Anyways, I'd like to know which classes people are having the most trouble with, so I know what to study up on. ^_^

Trig and Calc II have been the most difficult topics, in my opinion. If you have extra time in Calc I, read ahead and get familiar for Calc II.

The class that I've found the most difficult so far was Algebra II/III. It wasn't too bad overall, but some of the concepts (looking at you, rational algebraic equations and logarithms) were really hard for me to understand, and most of the other concepts didn't come quick to me, either. (Unlike in all of my previous math courses where everything was a breeze.) I actually had to put some effort into the HW and study for the tests. :X

I'm currently in a class that's mostly Trig but with a few elements of Algebra II/III mixed into it. So far, it has been much easier than Algebra II ever was. I'm not sure why exactly, but all of the concepts have come to me a lot quicker and easier than in Algebra II. Granted, it's still early in the course, but these are just my initial impressions of Trig.

Geometry and Algebra I were complete jokes to me. I never truly struggled with either of the two, not even with proofs. (Though from what it sounds like we didn't do proofs as much as some others have...)

The Fallen One said:
Most of the mistakes I'm making are simple ones...like forgetting to carry a negative sign to the next line of steps.

This. One of my mistakes on a test I took a couple weeks ago was that I thought 49 + 16 = 63. >_<

That and not changing my calculator from degree mode to radian mode. ;/ (Though thankfully I made this mistake on a HW assignment, and in my class HW is nigh worthless from a grading standpoint)

I'm in 7th grade in Algebra l.
It's more challenging than last year, but still not very hard.
It feels pretty good to know that you actually made it to Algebra instead of going to Pre-Algebra/Honors, where I found out they were doing adding and subtracting negative/positive numbers...

Zyflair said:
Trig and Calc II have been the most difficult topics, in my opinion. If you have extra time in Calc I, read ahead and get familiar for Calc II.

I think Calc III was the hardest one for me. The computations in multiple dimensions were just so time consuming and tedious. It was so easy to make a mistake and ruin your work. Calc I, II, weren't that bad I thought. Neither was differential equations. Although differential equations really made me feel like I was going through a maze backwards. Since the primary technique is to guess at an answer and then check it.

amisheskimoninja said:
The computations in multiple dimensions were just so time consuming and tedious. It was so easy to make a mistake and ruin your work.
That's not an indication of difficult, now is it? :p

I'm in Math Honors. Which is the highest in 6th grade for math. I better at math then in anyone in my family. We got a chart of NYS Exam Graph and my brother made it just over level 3 and I made it to Half Way up Level 4. So yeah.

I haven't been in many math classes, considering I'm only in 8th grade, but Geometry (what I'm taking now) is really harsh. :( It's hard to memorize the theorems and prove things (bane of all math students <.< ).

Do you mean Modus Ponus and Modus Tollens, Denying the Premise, and confirming the consqeunt?

...what? D: I'm not that far yet. I have to make flow-charts and tell you the height of the Big Ben using a scale. TT.TT

glaceon said:
Do you mean Modus Ponus and Modus Tollens, Denying the Premise, and confirming the consqeunt?
Dude, lay of the Rules of Inferences and fallacies, lol.

Back