The Math Thread!

Argetlam

Happy Summer!
Hey, if you have a math question, want to talk about math, think math is awesome, think its hard, hate it, etc. - post here!! This is the thread to go to for intelligent discussion about math!
I love math! I have completed Algebra 1 and am in Geometry.

Rules
General Pokebeach rules apply.
Keep it clean
No flame wars about math!! If you don't like math, say it and give a reason. Don't just say "Math stinks".
Try to generate intellligent discussion.
Have fun!

Hope this thread generates discussion about Math!!

~nerd~

A thread where I can trick people to do my homework for me >:D

I'm in Algebra II right now ^.^

I took Geometry last year and Algebra I in 8th grade.

I'm in 8th grade, and I'm taking Geometry this year haha slick... jk.

It isn't that hard... but there is one thing I don't understand. I forget what it is though :p.

I actually prefer maths compared to other school subjects because you have to have a lot of skill in the subject to do well, unlike (for example) Science and History, where you just revise lots of facts and stuff.

^^ Like Zyflair, I'm also down to help anyone, however, I am still doing Calculus... in my 11th grade year! :D

I was never truly a fan of any mathematics classes, but I'm certainly available to help. I took three years of college math courses, in addition to two years of pharmacokinetics (which is predominately math-based).

Just let me know!

College Calc 1. Trust me guys if you're good at algebra...calculus isn't that hard. Most of the mistakes I'm making are simple ones...like forgetting to carry a negative sign to the next line of steps.

The Fallen One said:
College Calc 1. Trust me guys if you're good at algebra...calculus isn't that hard. Most of the mistakes I'm making are simple ones...like forgetting to carry a negative sign to the next line of steps.
You what? Lol.

As long as it's not trig, as I'd like to put it.

Yes, trigonometry throws everything for a loop. My mind was blown when I found out the derivative of sinx is cosx...

... very easy way to show that it makes sense.
Suppose that:
d/dx (sin x) = y, where y is some sort of function for x
d/dx (cos x) = z, where z is some sort of function for x

From the Trig identity we know that:
(sin x)^2 + (cos x)^2 = 1

If we differentiate in terms of x, we get:
2(sin x) * y + 2(cos x) * z = 0
(sin x) * y + (cos x) * z = 0 (Divided by two)
(sin x) * y = -(cos x) * z (Moved the second term over)
y = -(cos x) * z/(sin x) (Divided by sin x)
y/z = (cos x)/(- sin x) (Divided by z and moved the negative to the denominator)
y = cos x, z = -sin x

I'm in tenth grade and taking Algebra 2, cause for some reason I bombed this stupid skill level test. I took Algebra 2 in 8th grade, and I am really upset, because I am excellent with numbers. I am the smartest kid in the class, I got a 99% on a test that 12 people out of my 17 person class failed :/

Tenth grade was fun... it was the first time I walked into a calculus class with almost everyone at a bigger grade level. |3
Oh how conceited I was...

The Fallen One said:
Proofs make me cry. On the inside.
Man up and enjoy their beauty.

I hated doing proofs. Algebra I was and still am good at, but I'm not as good with trig.

The thing about trig is if you do it enough and completely understand the concepts, it doesn't become difficult. The problem is that there's a tendency to grow up to hate it in the process.

The Fallen One said:
I didn't do proofs in geometry so really this is the first class I've had experience with it.
Whaaaaaaaaaaa you didn't have a geometry class at all then!

I went to a derpy high school my sophomore year. They only taught proofs first semester honors geometry. I only got in honors second semester.

Back