Help The "Is There A Card That Does This?" Thread

Are there any cards in the current standard format that have an attack that prevents the active Pokemon from retreating? Pokemon that are basics and are grass type would be most helpful.

There is only one that is a Grass Basic and has an attack that prevents the opponent from retreating: Trevenant-EX (XY: Primal Clash 19/160, 145/160). Below is a list of cards that have an attack. Entries in bold text are either Basics or Grass Types.

Ariados (XY: Ancient Origins 6/98)
Aromatisse (XY: BREAKthrough 106/162)
Blaziken (XY: Furious Fists 14/111)
Flygon (XY: Primal Clash 110/160)
Gabite (XY: BREAKPoint 69/122)
Galvantula (XY: Phantom Forces 27/119)
Haunter (XY: BREAKThrough 59/162; Generations 34/83)
Jynx (XY: Furious Fists 37/111; Generations 36/83)
Klefki (XY: Furious Fists 73/111)

Krokorok (XY: Flashfire 57/106)
Mr. Mime (Primal Clash 101/160)
Octillery (XY: BREAKthrough 33/160)
Pidgeot (XY: Flashfire 77/106)
Poliwag (XY: Furious Fists 15/111)
Sandshrew (XY: BREAKthrough 75/162)

Scolipede (XY 53/146)
Scrafty (XY: Flashfire 59/108)
Seismitoad (XY: BREAKpoint 35/122)
Swellow (XY: Roaring Skies 71/108)
Tentacruel (XY: Primal Clash 72/160)
Zoroark (XY 73/146)

Not sure if you were excluding them for a reason, but if Abilities are allowed, then Dragalge (XY: Flashfire 71/106; XY; Black Star Promos XY10) can stop something from retreating if that Pokémon is Poisoned, via the Ability on Dragalge.

What cards can remove status conditions from in-play (especially active) Pokemon?

Also, what cards can poison an opponents Pokemon before attacking?

Last edited:
Status conditions can only be on Active Pokemon, as going to your Bench removes them from being in play. As such, I've also included non-attack Retreat or Switching cards.

In Standard, cards that specifically remove Special Conditions:
Chaos Tower
Pokemon Center Lady
All-Night Party
Aurous-EX
Heavy Boots
Florges BREAK
Steel Shelter
Sparkling Robe
Full Heal
Slurpuff XY

Cards that remove Special Conditions from itself:
Machamp-EX
Swirlix PHF
Raticate BKP
Wailord-EX
Corsola XY

Cards that Switch your Active out:
Olympia
Zoroark BKT (+ Float Stone)
Metagross AOR
Switch
Escape Rope
Dragonite-EX

What 2016-2017 rotation cards can remove tool cards from the opposing side of the field?
I am building a Greninja Break deck, and i am looking for a counter to Garbodor.

Last edited:
Are there any other Pokemon with effects similar to Fright Night Yveltal that don't require them to be the active?

Hello there! I just returned to the game since Fossil after playing other tcgs.

Are there any pokemon like Fates Collide Serperior? Having the biggest amount of unconditional or early damage for only 1 energy? ( I prefer aggro strategies the most)

Also, where can I find a list of legal trainer cards for the next 2017 season? Diving through all the sets is tiring...

Thanks in advance!

Are there any pokemon like Fates Collide Serperior? Having the biggest amount of unconditional or early damage for only 1 energy? ( I prefer aggro strategies the most)
Unfortunately this is a bit general, meaning I would need to search through entire expansions to give you a full answer... and then you may as well search yourself. =P

You could use the official database linked below or unofficial database elsewhere to search through cards. Otherwise, you could check out the TCG Competitive Play and the front-page articles for hot strategies that may appeal to your play-style. The Deck Garage is also worth checking out. Off-forum, there is also an official compilation of winning archetypes that you can find here.

Off the top of my head, you might find Fighting archetypes interesting, as they have Strong Energy and Fighting Stadium to boost damage output. The Crobat PHF line adds more damage to the output. A lot of these key cards will rotate out for 2017 Standard, however, so they may only be good in Expanded.

Also, where can I find a list of legal trainer cards for the next 2017 season? Diving through all the sets is tiring...
The official database can do the set-searching for you, in this case! I've set it up here. It includes some of the older XY Promos that will not be legal, as the searcher can't filter out promos that specifically.

Is there any way to put damage counters on your own Pokemon without using up your turn? Like an Ability or Trainer.

Is there a way to prevent Pokemon from damaging themselves similar to the ability "Rock Head" in the videogames?

Is there a way to prevent Pokemon from damaging themselves similar to the ability "Rock Head" in the videogames?
Yup! Protection Cube (Flashfire 95) is a Tool that prevents any self-damage. With the rotation coming up it will be limited to Expanded play, however (unless it gets a reprint).

Back