Collecting The "Card Collector Help" Thread

RE: Considering Switch to Japanese..

Personally I think the Japanese Full Arts are cheaper looking then the other language versions. For one thing the texture on the card isn't as big so the light doesn't really shine on them and they look dull. The holos however are awesome, I wish our holos looked like that.

Also the Megas have ugly large English text right across the front of the card, I think the Japanese text looks cooler in that style.

The boxes are cheaper but all the full arts are secret rares so it will be incredibly harder to collect them as opposed to the English sets where you can get up to 3 full arts, maybe even 4 in a box.

Also just a heads up but commons and uncommons are sorted out more in Japanese sets. For example I got 2 boxes of Phantom Gate and roughly one in each box, I was seeing new commons in pack 18 and 19 of the box. I actually didn't get 1 uncommon in two boxes.

It has its ups and downs. The thing is, the boxes are cheaper but how about promos? I just priced Absol EX/M. Absol EX (currently only avaliable in Japan) and it's at least 30 dollars to get them with it often being more like fifty, or even more all because they were special (right now) battle fiesta cards or something like that. They have yet to be released here in English but I imagine it might be at least a little bit cheaper. My prediction here would be some kind of boxed set. Granted it could be like the M. Metagross EX or M. Diancie EX collection and be the same fifty dollars but at least it will have a few packs and some other stuff to go with it.

But Japan gets something sooner than we do. Take for example the fairy Dedenne, released during their XY collection as a promo while we had to wait until Phantom Forces for it. Or the fighting Pangoro they got as a promo with Rising Fists, we're still waiting for that one. And of course as another example is the Absol EX/ M. Absol EX that I mentioned above.

They even get things we will never get. Again as an example there was a Pikachu FA promo that I have my doubts we will get. The same goes for a Shiny Gengar EX they got around the time of their Phantom Gate that it seems we will never get. And let's not forget a long time ago with the vending machine cards that we only got a handful of or the VS series cards, which were like our gym cards but for the Johton region but with SP rules that we wouldn't get for years (which is in truth why we never got the VS set in English).

I guess it depends on your collecting preference. I too thought about this a while ago but haven't done so. When it comes down to it, I don't know Japanese and I like to be able to read my cards without some kind of translating element around it. Though I admit I make a few exception for promos that we aren't likely to get in English, as Viper.Fox mentioned.

RE: Do "W-Stamped" Commonly Have Small Holes in Them?

The card is damaged. I've got quite a few W stamped Dark Arbok's and not one has a small hole by the W or anywhere else. Sounds like he's just trying to get rid of the cards he has...

viper.fox said:
Ooohhhh exciting~
It's always nice to see someone considering to switch. Hopefully these'll answer some things for you!
Thanks for all of the information! I will look into whether they take bulk or not, or I'll do something like maybe bulk on eBay because after opening a box of Furious Fists yesterday, I now probably have about 500 extra cards (including my Flash Fire bulk) to sell off as bulk, with a few I'll sell as singles on eBay or something. Having that many extras around bothers me hahaha!

As for spares I may need, I think that sounds good! I'm used to using shipping services for Taobao and Japanese auction sites and I didn't think about looking for singles I may be missing and want on places like Yahoo Japan. After seeing the Full Art Charizard's price go down in a year and snatching it up once I found it for half of its price last year, I'm ok with waiting on some to buy, or maybe I could trade for them here.

As for promos, I'm someone that will likely stick to sets outside of some promos/promo sets, etc that I may want. For the most part, I keep what's in a box, but have certain Pokemon (Charizard mostly) and a favorite artist (Atsuko Nishida) that I like to collect from as well. Besides that, I don't really need to complete a set.

Maserati777 said:
Personally I think the Japanese Full Arts are cheaper looking then the other language versions. For one thing the texture on the card isn't as big so the light doesn't really shine on them and they look dull. The holos however are awesome, I wish our holos looked like that.

Also the Megas have ugly large English text right across the front of the card, I think the Japanese text looks cooler in that style.

I've heard mixed reviews on Japanese vs English Full Arts, and that is something I had been looking for more input on. I've heard some people prefer them, and some people prefer the English ones. I guess I will see when I take a look at them myself because it is mixed. Otherwise, I may be ok with buying English full arts that I may be missing in Japanese. Luckily, I usually only want 1-2 Full Arts from most sets, so I guess that is an ok trade off. That is something that made me hesitate on deciding for a bit since my two English boxes have given me 2-4 Full Arts. I do think the Japanese text looks pretty cool on the megas, and for a while didn't like the English text so much, but it's growing on me haha.

Maserati777 said:
Also just a heads up but commons and uncommons are sorted out more in Japanese sets. For example I got 2 boxes of Phantom Gate and roughly one in each box, I was seeing new commons in pack 18 and 19 of the box. I actually didn't get 1 uncommon in two boxes.

And as for the commons/uncommons in the boxes, do you mean they are sorted out more in that in an English box, you will likely get a full set, where as in a Japanese box, you may actually miss a few? I guess that is ok. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Pikachu6319 said:
I guess it depends on your collecting preference. I too thought about this a while ago but haven't done so. When it comes down to it, I don't know Japanese and I like to be able to read my cards without some kind of translating element around it. Though I admit I make a few exception for promos that we aren't likely to get in English, as Viper.Fox mentioned.

The fact that I couldn't read Japanese is what kept me from getting into Japanese sets the last time I considered it, actually. I am now learning Japanese and can easily read the Pokemon names in Japanese and anything that is not Kanji save for a few I've learned, but I actually think that now, it could end up being a way I could use to improve my Japanese. :)

I trade with my sister occasionally when we have something the other wants as she doesn't collect much and she was hesitant when I told her I'd be switching to Japanese cards, as she isn't learning it and feels the same way you do. Being real with myself, though, when I opened my Flash Fire and Furious Fists boxes, I didn't really read any of the text, I guess. I guess the Japanese text would actually get me to try and read it more, as I have a habit of doing that when I see Japanese text somewhere. xD

Yeah Pokemon is the one reason why I might consider learning Japanese. Haven't really done it though. And considering what it would take for me to catch up, don't know if I would.

For what it's worth, I prefer Japanese FAs to English FAs, but I do know there are some people who prefer the English ones.

Also, as far as common/uncommon rarity goes... since you're only getting 3 commons and 1-2 uncommons per pack, it's true that you don't automatically end up with a playset of all C/U cards like you do with an English box. Uncommons are, well, uncommon. I typically end up with ~2 of each uncommon for a box, and once there was one uncommon that I didn't get of at all (Lilligant from BW3), but only once. I've never not gotten a particular common from a given set, 3-5 is probably a common pull amount for each common.

Keep in mind that we do have a decent amount of Japanese collectors on PokéBeach (me included!) who are more than happy to trade cards, and it's always nice when the trading pool increases. :)

RE: Considering Switch to Japanese

Pikachu6319 said:
Yeah Pokemon is the one reason why I might consider learning Japanese. Haven't really done it though. And considering what it would take for me to catch up, don't know if I would.

I don't blame you! I've been very busy and have had to go back and forth and am trying to figure out a nice balance so I can fully commit to continuing to learn with my tutor on a regular basis.

Athena said:
For what it's worth, I prefer Japanese FAs to English FAs, but I do know there are some people who prefer the English ones.

Also, as far as common/uncommon rarity goes... since you're only getting 3 commons and 1-2 uncommons per pack, it's true that you don't automatically end up with a playset of all C/U cards like you do with an English box. Uncommons are, well, uncommon. I typically end up with ~2 of each uncommon for a box, and once there was one uncommon that I didn't get of at all (Lilligant from BW3), but only once. I've never not gotten a particular common from a given set, 3-5 is probably a common pull amount for each common.

Keep in mind that we do have a decent amount of Japanese collectors on PokéBeach (me included!) who are more than happy to trade cards, and it's always nice when the trading pool increases. :)

Good to know about the FA! Seems to continue just being split and that's ok. :)

I'm fine with not getting playsets of all the C/U cards as I only collect. That actually drives me a bit crazy, how many duplicates I have of them, but I guess I'll just deal with it, since it seems you may get them all in one box, and I'd be buying about two per set?

That's great to hear that there are a decent amount of Japanese collectors here! I'll definitely look into starting to trade as I feel that may be a more fun and easier way to obtain cards I may be missing rather than going straight to selling on eBay or something. :D

My general rule thumb is that if a particular set is composed of 2 mini-sets (like the current Tidal Storm and Gaia Volcano), I buy 1 box of each, and if a it's a larger, single set (like Phantom Gate), I'll buy 2 boxes. I find this is a decent strategy to get a good amount of cards without too many duplicates. Sometimes I'll also supplement with smaller promo set purchases, like the recent Metagross EX gift set that contained some cool promos in addition to 3 packs of each of the ORAS sets. For the first time since I've started re-collecting Japanese sets (I used to collect Japanese cards back in the Base-Gym days, recently picked it up again at the release of BW3), I'm actually breaking my "rule" and I have purchased a second box of Tidal Storm that should be arriving soon; but a lot of my favourite Pokémon are in that set and there's still a decent amount that I'm missing, so I consider it to be worth my money.

And, yeah, I'd definitely look around for trades and stuff here before you hit up Ebay. After all, it's a good way for you to get rid of duplicates or cards you're not interested in, or to pick up promos that you might not otherwise get, or trade off multiple promos if you buy multiple mini-sets of something (I ended up buying 3 of the Metagross EX things so I have some duplicates of those, for example).

What Are the Promo Cards for the Flashfire Set

does any body have a list of promo cards for the flashfire set so I can complete my set?

I think that sounds like a good strategy. I'm glad to hear that about the mini-sets, as I was thinking I'd have to buy 2 of each. I was actually thinking that getting a second box for a mini set that has a lot of cards I want would be an ok idea, but I guess I may hold off on that unless I'm still missing quite a few from the mini set with more of my favorites. Promo sets are something I will definitely consider.

I will definitely look into trying to become active here for trades and then possibly sell when I can. I think it'll make things more fun, as well. :D

You'll have to take a look at the cards in the set and come to a conclusion when you get there. You typically get 3 RR or better cards per box and 7 holos* per box, so a single box of each set in a double-set will not typically get you all holos/RR/etc., but it will get you most, and buying a second of each is no guarantee that you'll get anything aside from a bunch of duplicates (case in point, my second Tidal Storm box ended up being entirely duplicates of all holos and EXes from my previous box/sets, with the exception of the Sharpedo FA that I pulled). So, you might be missing a few, but that's what trades are for. Getting those promo sets might get you some of those missing cards (I got an Archie FA from one of my Metagross sets!), or some duplicates for trade fodder, but without the full investment of an entire extra box. However, if there's a lot of cards you're missing, or there's a lot of your favourites in the set, a second box might not be bad once in a while, especially since duplicates you do get can be good trade fodder.

For what it's worth, I feel like I'm kind of like you, in that I'm the type of collector who doesn't need to complete a set or get all the cards. I have certain Pokémon and cards I look for and enjoys collecting and trading, but for the most part I'm happy with my boxes (unless I get royally screwed) and I enjoying seeing if I can find trades for the cards and Pokémon I'm missing.

(* - sometimes it's 4/6, and I've heard people who have ended up with 11 premium cards instead of 10, but I've never seen or head of less than 10 personally, nor 2/8 split)

Shattered Glass

Wow I just found out about Shattered Glass cards and they are absolutely beautiful!!! I have to get myself one of these! Anyone have any they'd be willing to trade?

RE: Shattered Glass

You can often find shattered glass promos in theme decks, and also sometimes special blister packs, so check out the TCG section at your local store and see if you can find some cool ones. If you're looking to trade for them, you should add that to your trading thread. :)

Collecting Again

I used to collect Pokemon cards. I'd choose a certain set, and buy a pack of cards from that set whenever I have some extra money. I get the check list and try to catch them all, lolz. I suddenly have the urge to do that, again. Any new sets released recently that you like or prefer? Ones that would be available at places like Walmart and/or Walgreens at this time? And later down the road, if I have the complete set, would it be worth anything? It was so fun trying to get new cards, ones I didn't have to complete a set. Thank you.

RE: Collecting Again

I'm glad to see someone returning to collecting the cards! Welcome back!

New Sets:
The newest set right now is Phantom Forces, but in a few weeks(February 4th to be exact), the new Primal Clash set comes out. However, some other sets that are still fairly easy to find are XY, Flashfire, and Furious Fists. Phantom Forces, Furious Fists, and Primal Clash will no doubt be available at your average Wal Mart or other similar store, but XY and Flashfire aren't as abundant as they used to be, but don't let that deter you. Also, Primal Clash has a large set list, fearuring 164 cards, including 12 EXs, 16 Full Arts, and 4 Secret Rares, so there's no doubt it will be a nightmare to collect all the cards. In the end, which set you choose is all up to personal preference. I personally prefer Furious Fists and Primal Clash, as they feature some of my favorite Pokemon, such as Heracross and Aggron.

Collecting as a Whole:
So now that you've chosen your set, it's time to figure out what to buy first. Now you've said that you'd want to just pick up a pack every now and then to try to complete the set. Unfortunately, that's really difficult with how many holos, rares, and ultra rares are in the sets now, but it isn't impossible. If you really want to collect a set, I'd say buy a booster box to start. While it costs roughly $90 and you'll only get a few ultra rares, you'll complete a majority of the set just from the box. Also, you could then sell the unwanted code cards or trade duplicates away in bulk trades. From there, it's really open. For cost efficiency, I'd buy singles of missing cards. If you want the thrill and excitement of opening packs, then buy the packs, but expect a tougher time completing the set. However, it's really all up to you.

Value:
As far as value goes, no one can be quite sure what the cards will be worth someday. However, if value concerns you, then the best optionis Flashfire, as the set features Mega Charizard. Of course, most Charizard cards tend to go up in price as time goes on, so I can definately see some cards fetching a pretty penny.

I hope this was helpful to you!

Best place to buy EU English Language XY era Jumbo cards?

I looked on Ebay but didn't find ones for both Mega Charizard's. I mostly just need the jumbo cards for M Charizard X and Y and Yveltal and Xerneas. I need a place that accepts paypal.

RE: Best place to buy EU English Language XY era Jumbo cards?

I got both off eBay. You have to check daily, as they sell quickly.

RE: Best place to buy EU English Language XY era Jumbo cards?

Thats what I usually do but im hoping there's a place that all 4 as separate listings either loose or still in box.

Back