Discussion The Blazing Hellhound - (M) Houndoom EX Discussion

Houndoom gets steamrolled by Regice. I'd say Pyroar gives you the best chance at overcoming it besides a Regice-specific tech.
No doubt a bad match-up, but one would see Regice and its Resistance Blizzard "coming" and can prepare in several ways: Hammers, Max Potions/AZ, Hard Charms, Lysandre, etc. By the way, if I'm not mistaken, Doom's mill attack can still be performed despite Regice's Resistance Blizzard (since Regice it not the target of any Doom's damage nor effects); so, one just needs to keep the big dog going with some techs, IMO.

Sorry I haven't been on, guys! I've been very busy as of late, but I am now free! Yay!
To quickly answer a few things...
1. Yes, I forgot the Blazing Energy as well. Definitely important!
2. Yes, Regice is bad news. While I do like the idea of using Pyroar in non-mill variants, I feel that we would be better off with something a little more...techy in the mill variants. I will have to think a bit on what, but for now, we also have things like Lysandre/Hammers/Healing Trainers etc.
3. Has anyone been able to test this yet? I am very curious for more results!

yay Mhoundoom a deck that counters Msceptile which is currently the BDIF of standard.

If you play against regice and your playing a mill stratgey how is regice a bad card? it's not, you still mill stuff.

yay Mhoundoom a deck that counters Msceptile which is currently the BDIF of standard.

If you play against regice and your playing a mill stratgey how is regice a bad card? it's not, you still mill stuff.

It's not bad in the sense that you cannot hurt it (As you stated, you're milling. You could care less about hurting it.), but that it can literally 1-shot everything you have (with a Muscle Band in Houndoom EX 's case) unless you pack a Hard Charm. That said, I think that may be our only issue at this time (At least until Greninja.dek starts popping up everywhere).

Then just play bunnelby in the matchup play the mega, play 2 escape rope and lysandre up the regice, 1 flare grunt and 4 vs seeker, xerosic, Regice isn't the card you should be trying to counter it should be glalie. Also You theory is only based off of the fact that they have the muscle band, or you don't play a weakness policy and 2-3 max potion in your list.

Gallade doesn't 1-shot Houndoom EX? Granted, card is very strong, no doubt, but in non-mill variants, I don't see him as an issue, whatsoever. Even in mill variants he can only stop so much, speaking that you're still doing what your goal is: Mill your opponent out.

And yes, we have answers to Regice. We have answers to Gallade and Giratina and every card in this game. It doesn't mean that it doesn't give us problems.

Wow! I was thinking a Plasma Infernape/M-houndoom, but the mill-bats variant is a way more funny deck :D

I am coming into this thread a skeptic. I haven't encountered that many people running this and nothing says the one or two who tried didn't just have awful luck, decks and/or skill. So I've got a lot of questions:

1) Can someone clarify; is this supposed to be for Standard only, or just better in Standard but possible in Expanded?

2) Some of the comments talk about how Houndoom-EX isn't an easy OHKO and this is true... however this is a format where even Mega Evolutions fear being OHKOed, so it still happens often enough.

3) Similarly, this is a format where some decks have low Energy attackers while others just have massive amounts of Energy acceleration.

I don't want to pooh-pooh something I don't understand (I've made that mistake often enough =P), so if someone wants to jump in and explain, go for it... just remember that I need more than you swearing upon your honor to persuade me. ;)

All in all, the mill stragety is good, just run weakness policy, the potions, and energy retreival, and you can combat pretty much everything, and Giratina ain't THAT much of a threat seeing as you aren't reliant on tools, special energies, nor stadiums, and the cards I listed can combat Regice easily enough.

I am coming into this thread a skeptic. I haven't encountered that many people running this and nothing says the one or two who tried didn't just have awful luck, decks and/or skill. So I've got a lot of questions:

1) Can someone clarify; is this supposed to be for Standard only, or just better in Standard but possible in Expanded?

2) Some of the comments talk about how Houndoom-EX isn't an easy OHKO and this is true... however this is a format where even Mega Evolutions fear being OHKOed, so it still happens often enough.

3) Similarly, this is a format where some decks have low Energy attackers while others just have massive amounts of Energy acceleration.

I don't want to pooh-pooh something I don't understand (I've made that mistake often enough =P), so if someone wants to jump in and explain, go for it... just remember that I need more than you swearing upon your honor to persuade me. ;)
I swear, you make everything so difficult! >o<
Jokes aside, I will answer them to the best of my abilities via numbers:
1.) To be perfectly honest, I think the Mill Variant could last in both formats. That said, I personally feel that it is the ONLY build that can do so. M Houndoom EX, while a nice 2 Energy Attacker... is a tad bit weak in terms of overall damage output (he has no hopes of OHKOing things around his HP that are very good, either, such as M Manectric EX, which is a HUGE problem for Fire decks in general due to the acceleration on to Regice. Even Pyroar cannot stand up to this deck because of M Manectric EX himself, who OHKOs Pyroar.).
That said, Houndoom EX himself has a lot of potential in both formats. He can Energy Accelerate, he can Mill, he has a nice amount of HP (which allows for tankier Mill Variants), and best of all, he is just as efficient as Omega Bunnelby as far as utility goes. Because Standard feels and seems like a slower format, Houndoom EX really does have the ability to run over a lot of decks with the Mill Variant. That said... Mill in Pokemon is like Control in MTG. It is very good once someone figures out how to make it work... but someone has to figure it out, first. That is what this thread is for: Discover how to utilize one or both cards and work towards the highest tier deck we can possibly fathom.
2.) There are numerous factors that determine how easy it is to OHKO a Pokemon in this game. One is how hard your Pokemon can initially hit. This is why scaling attacks are so good and can even become decks (Night March cough). Another is the combination of Weakness and Resistence. Vespiquen is versatile. Vespiquen can scale fairly well and has free Retreat Cost. Vespiquen is NOT good by herself in Standard, where a LOT of decks are tanky. This is the main reason Vespiquen is ran with the Eeveelutions: They provide Vespiquen with a tool that turns her from Good to Great in the form of extra Weakness coverage.
To say Houndoom EX is hard to knock out is going to depend on who is playing what. Regice laughs at him. Vespiquen groans without Vaporeon. Joltik hopes that it can get a free shot in and not get Milled. Giratina just hopes that you have no Lysandre in Hand.
That said, a lot of Pokemon do struggle to knock him out, much like they do with other EX Pokemon. The real factor is how versatile and useful Houndoom EX is to the winning strategy. He mills 2 cards and can set up another Houndoom EX or a Bunnelby to continue to do the same thing. He lasts longer than Bunnelby in general, which in turn can justify the 2 Prize Cards he gives over the 1 given by Bunnelby. He does things that Bunnelby simply could not.

3.) I suppose this is less of a question and more of a topic. This format is very interesting because you have decks that can and will attempt to race and decks that simply want you to sit down until your bottom hurts. This deck is somewhere in the middle instead of where most people would consider it: Slow and Boring. Houndoom EX bring to Mill something that other decks have not: A true way to Knock Out opposing Pokemon with very little commitment, AKA another win condition. This is something that needs to be noted because it really does give you a better chance at tournaments, which is the reason you play this deck and this game competitively. Also, because of the flexibility of the Pokemon, you have a lot of options for the deck. You can play Energy Denial, Healing, Tools that stop you from experiencing early KOs, more Milling Cards, etc. This is what I find so interesting about this deck.

Either way, I hope this clarifies a few things. I know I type a lot, but information is always the Skeleton Key. Have fun!

-Asmer

Hey all,

What are your thoughts on adding 1-2 copies of Durant (Flashfire 61/106) to this deck? Durant is a basic that requires 1 colorless energy for this attack, and has a 1 retreat cost. I know the focus is to mill the deck, but to discard cards in your opponent's hand until they only have 4 remaining could be useful too, yea? Of course you wouldn't need Durant in play for probably more than 1 turn at a time, but I'm thinking for a situation where the opponent has say 6+ cards in hand and you swap in Durant to discard a few of those.

I haven't tried the deck yet, but likely will next weekend after I (hopefully) trade for 2 more Houndoom's today and a couple other cards I'm still short on.

Why people keep mentioning Max Potion? Last time I checked it was not legal in Standard...

Gallade doesn't 1-shot Houndoom EX? Granted, card is very strong, no doubt, but in non-mill variants, I don't see him as an issue, whatsoever. Even in mill variants he can only stop so much, speaking that you're still doing what your goal is: Mill your opponent out.

And yes, we have answers to Regice. We have answers to Gallade and Giratina and every card in this game. It doesn't mean that it doesn't give us problems.

Gallade, I clearly typed glalie.

Max potion didn't make the set, it's a japanese reprint not an english one.

Gallade, I clearly typed glalie.

Max potion didn't make the set, it's a japanese reprint not an english one.
Ah, so you did type Glalie. I will not talk about why that was not read correctly. >.>;;
Still, why would Glalie be any more of an issue than Regice? That makes no sense... not to mention, it still does very little to the overall strategy of the Mill Variant: Milling. If anything, Regice causes more issues simply because there is literally no way to combat it once it hits the mark of Resistance Blizzard Spam without some really strange tech.

Regice needs a muscle band to get the ohko, glalie doesn't it's pilot just needs to judge for 4, and with 4 judge and 4 vs seeker out of 8 cards is easier to achieve consistently then 3.

As a side note, decks that play regice don't offer as much support unlike the initial attacker they have in their deck as it's a tech attacker versus glalie which is the deck. Glalie math probability of a turn 1 is 68%, regice is 13%.

Regice needs a muscle band to get the ohko, glalie doesn't it's pilot just needs to judge for 4, and with 4 judge and 4 vs seeker out of 8 cards is easier to achieve consistently then 3.

As a side note, decks that play regice don't offer as much support unlike the initial attacker they have in their deck as it's a tech attacker versus glalie which is the deck. Glalie math probability of a turn 1 is 68%, regice is 13%.

Except Glalie EX requires a minimum of two Energy Attachments to use Instant Freeze.
I understand that Glalie EX and even M Glalie EX may eventually have some form of spot light, but to be perfectly honest, it is not right now. You seem to leave out the fact that Regice is often partnered with Vileplume, and while Plume is weak to Fire, it completely locks down the Mill Variant of Houdoom and relies on us drawing in to Lysandre (if played) in order to do virtually anything. This is typically what allows Regice to set up and virtually sweep us from that point. I would know.

I play the deck (as boring as it can be sometimes).

I can understand using Judge with Glalie EX. Seems pretty decent. I would prefer Granbull because he's downright powerful (my gf plays Fairy and we've been testing this for a while... Fairy Garden + Tantrum = 120 a turn off of a deck that can EASILY accelerate Energy), but still, that is not what this thread is about. Glalie EX will not have the same amount of resilience as Regice against most other decks, especially since a lot of EX Pokemon can simply OHKO faster than you can. Sure, you can set up a 2 card Wombo after a 2 turn Attachment to fall short to something like M Rayquaza EX after your first attack. Regice will never have that problem.

That said, we should all focus more on the actual deck itself than this argument. Both can be a threat because both are Water Pokemon that can hit hard. What we do about it is more important than worrying about what they could or could not potentially do.

I'm just mentioning card stats, probability of play, the only one who seems to be arguing this with me is you. Vileplume/regice is one deck which isn't popular, so how is that every other deck everyone else is playing. If one matchup is bad take the loss, I have been wondering about 2 post's ago why this is a continued conversation.

I've been testing a Mega Houndoom Deck list. It runs in much the same way as my Mega Absol deck. My Mega Absol deck is 42 and 53 online, and has taken a tournament, so it does alright, but there is a huge learning curve to deck. I admit my Mega Houndoom deck is corky and there needs to be work on it, but it is quite different then the other decks mentions so I thought I would participate. Again, I believe this deck would have a learning curve based on matches. I also believe garitini/toad would be a tough match for the deck, but if the scoops go tails the deck might prevail.

Pokemon 13
2 M Houndoom
3 Houndoom
2 Pyroar (PF)
2 Litilo (PF)
3 Enetie (AO - AT)
2 Shaymin

Trainers
Supporters 11
3 Professor Sycamores
2 Professor Birches
3 Black Smith
1 Shauna
1 AZ
1 Lysander

Items 24
4 Ultra Balls
4 VS Seekers
4 Muscle Bands
3 Battle Compressors
3 Trainers Mail
3 Robo Substitute
2 Switches
1 Escape rope

Stadium 2
2 Scorched Earth

Energy 9
4 Burn
5 Fire

Because most decks run a singular or two copies of lysander and are looking to setup the first few turns, the idea is to evolve behind a robo sub, or enetie (second choice. Mega Houndoom is a very quick attacker and with a muscle band it hits for a 180. If a second turn evolves happen on a robo sub it forces the opponent to either lysander Houndoom up or play for more cards. Usually, early game most opponents op to play for more cards because they haven't setup yet. Unless they dead draw with that lysander, and their forced to play it. If they can't lysander, they are forced to take the robo sub out, which allows a third turn attack with Mega Houndoom. At this point, because Mega is easy to charge, the deck will be hitting for 180 with muscle band

In the background you are using pyror to control the board. If pyroar setups you've created a pretty good lysander ability on every turn because of the quick attack with M Houndoom. The deck allows the player to start taking out early threats like regice, or to go for a two prize take on either a 180 or 120 pokemon.

The absol deck works in the same manner but has better matchups with Night March and Garitni decks. Absol first attack hits for 20 and with a muscle band it hits for 40 on one energy, against pumpkaboo it does 40x2 = 80, against jolteck it does 40 and combee it does 40 on one energy. Yveltal EX helps with Giratini and toad. -- Sorry off topic.

In this deck however, houndoom does not have a really quick enough attacker without making a play for blacksmith. With quick attacking decks like Night March the players needs to make a play with Enetie for muscle band + black smith + Battle Compressor for knockout. An evolution into Pyroar would also help, just to hunt down the DCE.

Again with the Garitini match the player would have to go for the prize card exchange with Enetie using Pyroar to control the board. Hopefully, taking out some Shaymins and putting some big damage on Gartini. Using Robo Sub as a bit of a blocker as you charge other attackers up, or a switch card when they escape rope. Houndoom EX as a mop up and mill.

I would say that this deck can pick you up some games because their are options in it for different plays. But I would also say it's not an easy deck to learn. The combinations are there but it's a different approach to playing because its a careful approach type of deck. The players needs to play through some matches.

Thoughts -- Right now, I actually find the bat line up a bit slow for M Houndoom, and the mill is a bit unpredictable for Houndoom. I think if the player wants to play a mill deck the Paragon Z deck is a better play as it recycles the most powerful trainers in the game. I also think that lacario or gengar bat decks are a bit more consistent because of deck space.

Other Options

Unown -- Getting rid of the pyroars and using unown is a great option for the deck too. It speeds up the draw power allowing to setup faster and that switch into that robo sub first turn. In my testing, the switch card fell into my hand more frequently then I thought it would.

I'm just mentioning card stats, probability of play, the only one who seems to be arguing this with me is you. Vileplume/regice is one deck which isn't popular, so how is that every other deck everyone else is playing. If one matchup is bad take the loss, I have been wondering about 2 post's ago why this is a continued conversation.

Because you kept responding to my posts with counterpoints. That's how discussions work.

Also, it is a deck that is still fairly played... Still, eh.

@poke4trade : Robo Substitute seems a little redundant since you have quite a few Basic Pokemon in this deck already. Why not try something that will help slow down other decks further (IE Hammers) or maybe 2 more Scorched Earth to counteract other Stadium plays?

Back