ORAS The Battle Frontier in OR / AS

Aerodactyl

Don't listen to her, she's crazy
So what is everyone's thoughts on the battle frontier making a return in ORAS? Do you think it will, why or why not? What would you like to see if it did? What do you think we'll actually see? What aspects of previous battle frontiers did you like or dislike?

Personally, I think we'll be getting a battle frontier again for a few reasons:
1. The new map of Hoenn features a clouded area in the bottom right hand area that looks suspiciously like a battle frontier... Its also in the same location as the last one.
2. There have been decoration items shown in super secret bases that were prizes from the battle frontier.
3. The battle frontier tends to get added in special editions/remakes. We saw it in emerald, platinum and HGSS.
4. It originally debuted in gen III.
5. We're getting back a lot of other features from gen III back like secret bases, contests (not sure what they'll look like yet but they're back) and possibly the trick house.
6. This last one is a theory and not really evidence: assuming they can release a download patch or something for X/Y to make it combatible with ORAS so users can battle online, ORAS is gonna need lots of different features from X/Y to justify purchasing the game. Otherwise, people might be tempted to just "update" X/Y rather then get the game themselves. Battle frontier would be exclusive to ORAS users and provide much needed post game content that was lacking in X/Y.

RE: Thoughts on the possibility of the Battle Frontier in ORAS?

So far in all the remakes we had at least all the features of the previous games and sometimes with additional or improved versions. For example the battle frontier in Johto instead of just a battle tower and the whole new Safari. The Generation 1 remakes had a whole new set of isands to explore.

I definitely think we'll see the Battle Frontier return and likely even an improved version of it.

Generation 3 was where the Battle Frontier all began, so I think there might be some major improvements. I hope we will finally be able to challenge the double battle frontier with a friend online!

Can anyone explain to me what the highlights of the hoenn battle frontier were? I only played Ruby, I never had emerald so the only battle frontier I know is the one from platinum in sinnoh. I've looked online but I don't really understand some of them... Like the battle pyramid and the battle palace. Is the battle palace the same as the battle castle in sinnoh?

The hoenn battle frontier certainly looks impressive and grand, so it would be great if they remade it instead of sinnoh. I hope they add some new places still though... I'd love an inverse battle hut of some kind and maybe even a sky battle arena. I know most people didn't like the sinnoh battle frontier compared to hoenn, but I really, really, really want the battle hall from that back. I loved the battle hall! I could care less about everything else from sinnoh frontier. Just that. I would just double team my lapras at the battle hall and surf my way to glory! It was amazing :D

Aerodactyl said:
Can anyone explain to me what the highlights of the hoenn battle frontier were? I only played Ruby, I never had emerald so the only battle frontier I know is the one from platinum in sinnoh. I've looked online but I don't really understand some of them... Like the battle pyramid and the battle palace. Is the battle palace the same as the battle castle in sinnoh?

I dont recall the Palace at all, but I played the heck out of the Pyramid so I can explain my recollection (anyone chime in for corrections).

The Battle Pyramid was essentially a "mystery dungeon". It consisted of a certain amount of floors for each play through, and each floor had wild encounters that increased in level as you progressed. Just like every other "battle" facility in existence, you are locked from using your own items, but the Pyramid had its own items scattered throughout each floor that you could collect and use. The Pokemon that were included in the Pyramid were a mash up of National Dex mons (no Pokedex registration, though), and occasionally you would happen upon ones that would heal you somehow with a move in their set. It was essentially a true mystery dungeon experience, and was pretty challenging as well as entertaining- and for me, had by far the most replayability out of all of the facilities in the frontier.

I sincerely hope we get the full BF redesigned/upgraded for ORAS, JUST because of the Pyramid having its nice change of pace and challenge/replay value compared to the simple caves/dungeons that make up all the Pokemon worlds regions.

Aerodactyl said:

The hoenn battle frontier certainly looks impressive and grand, so it would be great if they remade it instead of sinnoh. I hope they add some new places still though... I'd love an inverse battle hut of some kind and maybe even a sky battle arena. I know most people didn't like the sinnoh battle frontier compared to hoenn, but I really, really, really want the battle hall from that back. I loved the battle hall! I could care less about everything else from sinnoh frontier. Just that. I would just double team my lapras at the battle hall and surf my way to glory! It was amazing :D

The only facilities Hoenn and Sinnoh's Battle Frontiers share are the Battle Tower and Battle Factory, other than that all of the facilities are different. This is what Hoenn's had:

-Battle Tower
-Battle Factory (also worth noting, I found Hoenn's Battle Factory to be easier than Sinnoh's)
-Battle Dome: 4 round tournament, kind of like the PWT minus the gym leaders and champions
-Battle Arena: You have three turns to K.O. the opposing Pokemon, if neither Pokemon faints by then, the winner is judged based how many attacking moves you used, how much damage you did, and how much health you have left.
-Battle Palace: Pokemon automatically battle without the trainer's direction, based on nature
-Battle Pyramid: Like NoDice said, it's basically Mystery Dungeon the Battle Facility. Randomized layouts with trainers, wild Pokemon that you can't catch, and items.
-Battle Pike: You have a choice of different rooms which have different events. Some have you battle trainers, sometimes your Pokemon are healed, some times you have to navigate a room full of wild Pokemon which again are not catchable, sometimes your Pokemon randomly get afflicted with a status condition

Wow, that's a lot of stuff! No wonder no one likes the Sinnoh Frontier. Now I really want them to bring back the battle frontier from Hoenn and not just make a whole brand new one. But I guess it will be one or the other, we don't really live in a world where we get all of the Hoenn frontier with the best of the Sinnoh frontier and a bunch of new stuff as well.

I guess it's no coincidence that pokemon mystery dungeon came out at gen 3 with the battle pyramid.

The Battle Frontier is a huge part of what made Emerald such a fantastic game. If they didn't bring it back, they'd disappoint a lot of fans.

I liked every facility in the Frontier, but I'd also like to maybe see a few more brought in. Maybe bring it up to an even 10, so that would mean 3 new facilities.

The main reason I want the Frontier to return is to participate in something 10 year old me was never really bake to do since I sucked at battling, like I was really bad. N
But now that I'm older and have figured out the art of Pokemon battles I want to go to every facility and just ransack the place to make up for the mistakes (or the lack of doing anything) from the past. Also could we get the Battle Palace to be fixed up, like a lot. The entire place is ruled by RNG and most competitive natures won't allow you to use the moveset that the Pokemon has. So maybe give the user some control over what they're pokemon does like a roulette or something. My biggest mission for the frontier is to capture that damn Sudowoodo by the Palace, since I KO'd it by accident those many years ago.

Assuming they dont ban so many X/Y dex mons that I have to breed a ton of new stuff all over again (or add egg moves some Kalos natives need), Im going to make it my goal to at least Silver all the facilities this time around. I never got around to it when I had Emerald since D/P was on the horizon and I was just getting back into Pokemon.

Aerodactyl said:
Wow, that's a lot of stuff! No wonder no one likes the Sinnoh Frontier. Now I really want them to bring back the battle frontier from Hoenn and not just make a whole brand new one. But I guess it will be one or the other, we don't really live in a world where we get all of the Hoenn frontier with the best of the Sinnoh frontier and a bunch of new stuff as well.

Yeah, Sinnoh's Battle Frontier had less facilities than Hoenn's. But the number of facilities isn't even the half of it. With Sinnoh's Battle Frontier, it was basically just "okay, here's some battle facilities and some prizes, have fun!", but Hoenn had a few things to do aside from the battling and BP prizes. There were a couple of Pokemon you could catch on the island as well, on the southeast corner of the island there's a Sudowoodo hiding as a tree as a Johto reference and you have to use the Wailmer Pail to wake it up and battle it. Then after that, you can go into this cave underneath the island called Artisan Cave where you can catch Smeargle. Lastly, you can trade a Skitty for a Meowth (IIRC, it was in the Pokemon Center). It wasn't just a battle facility in the sense that many of them now are, you had some other things to do.

I liked both the Hoenn and Sinnoh frontier. In Sinnoh there were other things to do on the island as well. You could find great training spots, catch Gyarados up to level 100 I believe, enter a cave to find Heatran, get your own vila, and probably some other stuff I forgot. Maybe it's time for me to play Platinum again, too. :p For now I'm too excited about ORAS, though, so I'd probably play Emerald again first.

Drohn said:
I liked both the Hoenn and Sinnoh frontier. In Sinnoh there were other things to do on the island as well. You could find great training spots, catch Gyarados up to level 100 I believe, enter a cave to find Heatran, get your own vila, and probably some other stuff I forgot. Maybe it's time for me to play Platinum again, too. :p For now I'm too excited about ORAS, though, so I'd probably play Emerald again first.

They were magikarps, not gyarados :p

I loved hoenn battle frontier, but never bothered with anything other than the battle factory. In platinum (Or HGSS) I vaguely remember a battle arcade where a random effect takes place and then you battle. Its been forever since I played gen 4 though.

The size of the area of land covered by clouds in the southeast corner of the map has me hopeful that it's the Battle Frontier. Emerald's Battle Frontier was by far my favorite battle facility from the Pokemon games. I really want to see the architecture and the Frontier Brains with 6th gen graphics.

Drohn said:

The Battle Frontier didn't take up all of Sinnoh's post game, though, there were other areas outside of it that had nothing to do with battling.

Yeah, I remember quite a bit of post game in Sinnoh, but I also had Platinum, so it probably had more then Diamond and Pearl did. So far I think the odds of having a Battle Frontier are looking more and more promising. I don't know why exactly, but seeing the new contests and how similar they are to the original contests in Ruby and Sapphire just affirms to me that they are copying as much of the games as possible. It looks like we'd probably get a complete remake of the original Hoenn frontier if they did it. And Hoenn's frontier really looks awesome, I'd love to try it out, especially cause I have no other way to do it. Emerald games are hard to come by because of the battery problem and even then, I'm so used to gen four mechanics I'd suck at it.

(But I'm still crossing my fingers for the Battle Hall to make it in. I cannot say how much I love the battle hall.)

I can't shake off the feeling that everyone will be annoyed and disappointed when there is just a Battle Tower like RS.....just to be replaced with the BF in an Emerald/ORAS-sequel hybrid game that actually does shake things up instead of trying to be close to the (intentionally incomplete) originals.

/dreaming on

but seriously, how annoyed would everyone be? xD
I wouldn't, given that the game would have an expanded Hoenndex, some gym changes and altered path through Hoenn, an improved take on Emeralds story with something even fancier happening to Rayquaza in a more epic climax, even more new Megas, this time focusing on non-gen3 pokes (hi Mega Johto starters) and of course a battle frontier that isn't rushed/just copy-pasted 8D

I'd be a little annoied at no battle frontier but there is still secret bases and contests. Remaking emerald would super annoy me though... Because then if it had battle frontier I'd have to buy it and the game really isn't that much different then ruby and sapphire. It would be an obvious cash grab. Yes the plot and story are amazing... But it shouldn't have all the latest features in it because it will make buying omega ruby and alpha sapphire completly redundent. I mean, when the plot is over and all the post game plot is finished its done! I wouldn't mind an emerald remake but I'd want it released along side omega ruby and alpha sapphire with the same features, then everyone can just pick the plot they'd rather play through. Omega ruby and alpha sapphire can be updated to include the expanded features of emerald.

It wouldn't matter if they were doing a Hoenn sequel or simply giving us a samey remake for the sake of being a samey remake, I would just skip ORAS regardless.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they just gave us the Battle Tower the way this game is turning out, they've been so minimalist with this game that I wouldn't be surprised if they thought it was too much trouble to even give us the Battle Frontier.

Bolt the Cat said:
It wouldn't matter if they were doing a Hoenn sequel or simply giving us a samey remake for the sake of being a samey remake, I would just skip ORAS regardless.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they just gave us the Battle Tower the way this game is turning out, they've been so minimalist with this game that I wouldn't be surprised if they thought it was too much trouble to even give us the Battle Frontier.

I agree that they might give us only the battle tower and no frontier (although arguments are easily made on both sides so I'm still leaning more towards getting battle frontier), but I'm not sure what you mean by minimalist. This game is introducing more megas, refurbished contests, improved secret bases with online capabilities.... They've updated the map, the gym leaders and the entire region. It also looks like they might be expanding the Dex to include gen 4, 5 and possibly even gen 6 Pokemon. We have updates to team aqua and magma that include mega evolutions for Archie and Maxie and horde trainer battles (not to mention horde battles returning).

We also don't have the games yet so we still don't know what's been added.

Aerodactyl said:
I agree that they might give us only the battle tower and no frontier (although arguments are easily made on both sides so I'm still leaning more towards getting battle frontier), but I'm not sure what you mean by minimalist. This game is introducing more megas, refurbished contests, improved secret bases with online capabilities.... They've updated the map, the gym leaders and the entire region. It also looks like they might be expanding the Dex to include gen 4, 5 and possibly even gen 6 Pokemon. We have updates to team aqua and magma that include mega evolutions for Archie and Maxie and horde trainer battles (not to mention horde battles returning).

We also don't have the games yet so we still don't know what's been added.

I mean that the game is basically RS with new Megas and a few XY features thrown in, for the most part it just looks like they recreated the originals faithfully, not even bothering to fix any of its problems, and tossing in a handful of Megas and things we already got in XY to pass itself off as "new". The map hints towards little to no new areas, a couple of screenshots from the website almost confirm no new Pokemon outside of cross gen evos (Lopunny, Slowbro, and Audino are probably just going to be post game), little to no Emerald features, and there's nothing they've shown of this game that is truly fresh or exciting. It seems like every new reveal for this game makes this game look more and more like a rehash of RS.

Back