Playthrough Team Rocket's Revenge - Complete!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
jessie1.png

Deep underground, in an almost-forgotten hideaway, Jessie, James, and Meowth of Team Rocket stood proudly at attention, waiting for instructions from the boss and commander, Giovanni. They saluted quickly and respectfully at his presence the moment he came on screen, then fell silent awaiting his words.

"I have a new mission for you. I want you both to infiltrate the Kalos Region and achieve some objectives for me, but we're going to go about things a bit differently this time around."

"Differently, sir?" James asked carefully.

"You will be deep undercover, in permanent disguise as Pokémon Trainers. None of your previous Pokémon will be allowed with you, including Meowth."

"Wait, what?!" Meowth's jaw fell.

"You will be in disguise constantly. No references to Team Rocket or any of your previous actions outside of the Kalos Region. No uniforms, no motto."

"NO MOTTO?!" All thee exclaimed, James's eyes beginning to tear up at the thought.

"Yes, no motto. And you'll both be working separately, understood?"

"Sir, yessir!" They quickly stood at attention, throwing another salute.

"Your main objectives are two-fold: you will obtain a Mega-ring and learn the secret of Mega-evolution, and you will also discover and thwart the plans of the newfangled Team Flare."

"Sir, yessir!"

"Additionally, in order to blend in and truly fit into your roles, I want you to challenge the Gyms of the Kalos Region as if you were attempting to challenge the League." Giovanni chuckled. "I don't expect you to make it, naturally, but at least put in a good show and see how far you can get."

Jessie and James looked at each other grimly and nodded.

"Of course," Giovanni continued, "you both have proven yourselves wholly incompetent when it comes to actually catching and training Pokémon, so I have devised a system to help you. Please, open the box I sent you."

Jessie kneeled down and grabbed the box the boss was referring to, a small package that had arrived earlier in the day with instructions to call him. Inside were two small transporting devices, very similar to the ones that were used in some laboratories and complexes to transport Pokéballs back and forth.

"These transporters are my gift to you both," Giovanni explained. "Throughout your journey, you will have Pokémon supplied to you by Team Rocket's headquarters. Hopefully, by using the Pokémon we give to you to use as gifts, you will be successful in your endeavors. Now get out of my sight and don't contact me again until your missions are completed."

The transmission ended, leaving Jessie, James, and Meowth standing in the dark of the underground complex.

"Oh, James, I'm so excited!" Jessie announced, flinging her arms over his shoulders. "Kalos! Think of the shopping, and the food, and the fashion, and the shopping!" Her eyes glittered with excitement. "I simply can't wait!"

I've been wanting to do a Wonderlocke ever since I first heard of the concept shortly after X/Y came out, but I wanted to wait for Bank to be released so that I wouldn't feel guilty restarting my game and losing my Pokémon. I thought I could do it as a playthrough here and have a bit of fun with it. I wanted to do a different theme than the kind of thing that we've seen a lot of lately, and Jessie immediately sprang to mind. With her love of fashion, it seems she would love to be assigned in Kalos, and thus a story was born.

The basic premise is Jessie will be an undercover agent in Kalos, posing as a Pokémon Trainer. All Pokémon received to use via the Wonderlocke are "gifts" given to her by Team Rocket through use of the transporter from Giovanni. Will Jessie form an emotional attachment with her Pokémon as she travels throughout the region? Will she be able to transcend Giovanni's expectations and actually managed to beat the Pokémon League?

Wonderlocke Rules

1. If a Pokémon faints, it is dead and must be sent to PokéBank heaven.
  2. I am only allowed to catch the first Pokémon I see on a route. If the capture is successful, the Pokémon is immediately traded away via Wonder Trade; this is the Pokémon I am allowed to use from this route.
  3. No Super Training or Pokémon Amie will be used, with the exception of necessary Amie-training for evolution (ie, Sylveon)
  4. Dupes Clause: If I get a WT Pokémon that is a Pokémon I have already received from WT (or of the same evolutionary line), I will immediately WT it away until I receive a new Pokémon.
  5. HM Slave Clause: If I don't get any Pokémon that can learn a necessary field move, I'm allowed to catch and use a Pokémon that can learn that move, but ONLY for using the move in field; these Pokémon will not battle.
  6. Shiny Clause: If Jessie happens to come across a Shiny Pokémon, she will immediately fall in love with it and catch it. Deal with it.
  7. Trade Evolutions: Allowed, woohoo!
  8. Shopping: Since Jessie is such a huge fashion and shopping fan, I must buy new clothing and accessories, at least one for every available slot, each time I come to a town that has a boutique that I can shop in, and then promptly wear the new clothes. Jessie also must have her hair re-styled each time she comes to Lumiose City.

Chapters

Prologue: Vaniville Town
Chapter 1: A Pokémon Trainer is me!
Chapter 2: Santalune Forest
Chapter 3: Viola and the Santalune City Gym
Chapter 4: The road to Lumiose City and Kalos's Professor
Omake Battle 1
Chapter 5: Exploring the Wonders of Lumiose City!
Chapter 6: Jessie has a good day on the way to the Parfum Palace
Chapter 7: Parfum Palace & Jessie's Disappointing Reward
Chapter 8: The Death of a Friend
Chapter 9: Ambrette and Team Flare
Chapter 10: The Cyllage City Gym and Gym Leader... Reggie?
Chapter 11: Geosenge, Lucarios, and Blood
Chapter 12: Reminiscences and Reflection Cave
Chapter 13: The Secret of Mega Evolution is Mine!
Chapter 14: Leaf Ranger and the Coumarine City Gym
Chapter 15: Unraveling the Plots of Team Flare
Chapter 16: Return to Lumiose City
Chapter 17: A Fairwell to Fairies
Chapter 18: The Dark Calamity
Chapter 19: Back on the Road to Anistar Gym
Chapter 20: Team Rocket vs. Team Flare
Chapter 21: The Aftermath
Chapter 22: The Final Gym
Chapter 23: Walking Victory Road
Chapter 24: Four Battles to Remember
Chapter 25: Tying Up Loose Ends
Epilogue: This isn't what I came here for...

Community Involvement

I'd like to involve you guys however I can, of course. :D Anyone and everyone is welcome to share ideas and suggestions for the run.

HALP:
I haven't decided yet if I would like to allow Jessie to keep her starters (both Kalos and Kanto) and other gift Pokémon (Lucario, Lapras, etc.), or if these Pokémon should be WT away for Team Rocket gifts. So, please vote for which you'd prefer! You're also allowed to vote for which starters I should pick.

Starters and gift Pokémon will be taken. Everyone, vote for which starters you'd like me to take! :D Jessie will be taking Fennekin and Bulbasaur! Feel free to suggest some possible nicknames. :3

Rules:
If anyone has other suggestions for rules, I'd be happy to hear them and consider adding them in. Just keep in mind that I'm doing this for fun, and not necessarily for difficulty, so rules that only exist to make the game harder and less fun (like not being able to buy potions and Pokéballs), or rules that add unnecessary complexity (like rolling a dice to see what Pokémon I should use in battle or whatever) will be automatically discounted.

Roles:
I already have the main character and a couple NPCs (Shauna, Calem) decided, and I obviously won't be able to nickname any WTed Pokémon, but you're welcome to suggest names for starters and gifted Pokémon (if I choose to keep them), and also to suggest roles, PokéBeach people or other anime characters or whatever, for other NPCs that I'll be encountering throughout the game.

I'd also welcome any other suggestions or ideas aside from those I've listed here. :)

PHIPAQ

Q: What's a PHIPAQ?
A: Since I haven't been asked any questions yet, I can't rightfully have a FAQ, so I have a PHIPAQ instead. It stands for: Potentially Helpful Information Phrased As Questions. I like providing information in the form of a Q&A, deal with it.

Q: When will this start?
A: I still need to collect some mega stones from my current version of X and trade those away, and I also want some community input before I start, so... maybe in a week or so? I might do a second intro before then, too, with Jessie's POV of the events that take place in-game before you actually get any Pokémon or anything.

Q: OMG, if you're doing this are you still going to keep writing Mysteries of the Forgotten Island!?
A: Yes, of course, I don't plan on giving that up any time soon. :) This is a much different (and easier!) thing to write, so the two won't conflict.

Q: How often do you plan on updating?
A: Probably about once a week or so. Maybe more or less often depending on other stuff I have going on.

Q: How long will your chapters be?
A: Eh, it depends. Probably not as long as my fanfic chapters, that's for sure, but otherwise it depends. I might end on a plotpoint for my own story, or plot points based on things that happen in game, or even on cliffhangers. Depends on my mood.

Q: Who made that cool Jessie fanart in your banner?
A: The art was done by the wonderful しずく of pixiv.

Q: I have a question about something that's not mentioned in this post, what should I do?!
A: Just post it here, I won't bite. :)

RE: Team Rocket's Revenge! A Wonderlocke

I would say keep the gift Pokemon, personally. I don't think that she would turn down the free Pokemon, but I'm also interested in how she ends up getting the Pokemon in the first place. Meaning that, she's older than the average starting trainer, and she's not from that region, so I'm interested in how you are going to fit those two gifts into the story. Regardless, I say keep them. Powerful Pokemon for free, what more could you ask for? Also, wasn't Jessie jealous of May's Bulbasaur or something? Here's her chance to get one. Or whatever you want, I don't know, I'm just throwing stuff out there.

Have fun with it, it looks great so far!

Edit: If at all possible, I would like to nominate myself for 8th Gym Leader. If you already picked someone for that, then 4th would work as well :3
Edit2: I just realized that the 4th or 8th leaders might be girls. If that's the case pick a male one :/

Woo, thanks for the suggestions. :D I actually haven't seen any of th anime between 2nd and 4th gen, and very little of 5th gen, so I'm mostly basing Jessie off of what I know of her in 1st gen, so I don't know connections she's had with other people's starters.

I do think her keeping the gift Pokémon would be more in line with her character and the story, but I could also style it without; either version could work. The biggest difference between the two options is that getting the starters (and other gift Pokémon) would skew things a bit more towards the easy end, since they're all fairly powerful Pokémon, and my Kanto starter (and Lucario) would be able to Mega-evolve.

But if you'd like me to go for starters, feel free to suggest which ones I should pick, too! :D

I would say trade the Lucario away as that guy made my game too easy. Or keep him but never use him if you rather not WT him.

Hmm, that's a good point. I'm not sure how much I'd use the Lucario, but if I get nothing but Weedles and Scatterbugs from the WT, it might be a blessing, too. :p

Oh how I hate people who send stuff from their first journey... I got so many of those monkeys... well I look forward to your adventure no matter what you choose. :)

What about catching Legendaries?
Looking at Giovanni's objectives, Mewtwo has a connection to Mega-Evolution and both Yveltal and Xerneas had a role in T.Flare's plans so as a Rocket agent, you'll probably come across them and may need to get them for research (if ordered to).
Since you're into this just to have fun, do as you like and/or see fit but I think the preparation, combat and their capture (while not using them) might make for an interesting chapter (or chapters)!

'Thena, you should tell me when you post such things :<
As a suggestion, if you get any duplicates on WT, treat them as miss-sent Pokémon and WT them again, that way you'll have a diverse team that doesn't involve multiples of the same Pokémon :p
And I better be in it! :3

Leaf_Ranger said:
What about catching Legendaries?
Looking at Giovanni's objectives, Mewtwo has a connection to Mega-Evolution and both Yveltal and Xerneas had a role in T.Flare's plans so as a Rocket agent, you'll probably come across them and may need to get them for research (if ordered to).
Since you're into this just to have fun, do as you like and/or see fit but I think the preparation, combat and their capture (while not using them) might make for an interesting chapter (or chapters)!

Oh, hmm, I hadn't thought of that. I suppose most Nuzlockes don't allow legendary capture, do they? But of course they all come pretty late, too. I think what I'll do is allow Jessie to capture legendaries, but not to use them in battle. That seems to fit best within the flavour while also not ruining the spirit of a Nuzlocke.

And, hey, even though I don't want to add unnecessary difficulties on, I do expect this to be somewhat challenging. :p I've never done a Nuzlocke before, let alone something like this, where my party is more or less decided by the whims of the internet.

Scorched Feathers said:
'Thena, you should tell me when you post such things :<
As a suggestion, if you get any duplicates on WT, treat them as miss-sent Pokémon and WT them again, that way you'll have a diverse team that doesn't involve multiples of the same Pokémon :p
And I better be in it! :3

I could have sworn I told you about this recent over Skype.! Much sorries. :<

If you'd like to nominate yourself for an NPC or something, go right ahead! I likely won't be adding people in if they don't nominate themselves (and/or other people) for a specific spot. That way nobody can complain if I don't put them in, because they should have put themselves up for a spot. :p

Aaand I didn't notice dupes clause :p
You did, you didn't tell me you posted it ;w;
I'm Mr. Bonding Ehrm, I'll nominate myself.

Unfortunately I dodn't know since I've never done one myself and that's why I've said that you're the one deciding. The only thing I'm sure about them is that if it faints it's dead.
Legendaries would be interesting on the writing side of it - Jessie (while posing as a trainer) could hear other trainers talk about some rumours, legends, prepare her backpack and then set off to adventure which itself could be a tough trip to some dangerous or inaccessible place, just that.

Oh yeah, I was forgetting something...
Good Luck! ;)

Sounds creative! I can't wait for chapter 1.

I want to be that one guy that says "Hey, aren't you from -" and then gets tied up and thrown into the sewers. Or a gym leader. That would be cool.

Thanks for all the ideas and support, guys! You're great. :D

It seems like most people are neutral or positive about me taking starters and gift Pokémon, so I think I will. In that case...

Everyone please share which starters you'd like me to pick! :D Kalos starters will be in the first real chapter and then Katno starters once I get to Lumiose.

Also, I now have a Trade Thread set up in the Wi-Fi area to trade away my Mega Stones and other items before I restart. If you're interested in any of them (or if you just want to support my Playthrough and help me by trading away my items so I can start faster), check it out and offer me a trade! :)

RE: Team Rocket's Revenge! A Wonderlocke - Vote for Starter Choices!

I think Jessie will like Fennekin. Cause it give vibe of femininity.

Kanto,,, nggg... Bulbasaur!! Jessie wanted a Bulbasaur before!

Fennekin and Squirtle are my picks, or Froakie and Charmander.

I agree with lovandra, Jessie looks like a Fennekin kind of gal. Kanto starter.... Bulbasaur, though, since it's Jessie's, I couldn't see it evolving. :p

I'd have to say Fennekin and Bulbasaur. As much as I dislike Fennekin, it does fit Jesse's vibe. Bulbasaur for reason's stated previously.

Heehee, looks like Fennekin and Bulbasaur are winning by a landslide. :D Unless there's an upset, of course. :p

Getting very excited to start this. I think I will on Monday; if I don't finish trading off my items by then, I can always transfer them to my hubby's copy of Y for safe-keeping. :p

No starters, just the fiend MegaCario and it's gg.
What, you need starters? Alright then... I guess Fennekin will do. And Bulbasaur.
I'm so original
A question. Do you plan on using the Exp. Share? That thing can kill any Nuzlocke.
Also, is it gonna be a playthrough where PB members get to shine only to be horribly degraded and humiliated by having their butt kicked and saying hilarious st00f? If the answer is yes, I want a spot in it.

Back