TCG Gym Challenges!

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
The TCG Gym Challenges are ready! The forum for them is located here: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/forum-tcg-gym-challenges

The goal is to beat all eight gym leaders. However, all eight gym leaders are some of the best players on PB, so it will be very hard! Check the individual threads for more details on rules and feel free to post your questions in this thread. Good luck!

I see that we are not allowed to switch decks against the different leaders. However, say I use a deck against one leader and I lose, decide I don't like the deck, and I want to switch to another (ie, I still have 0 badges). Is that allowed? I'm not really sure where else to ask.

The purpose of the no switching rule is to prevent counter-decking. We dont want members to leak the decks that gym leaders are using, but we cant guarantee that someone wont do it. If you found out lets say what deck I'm using, you'd just change to something that beats my deck and get a win.

but building to counter one deck will probably leave it open to another leaders deck.
so it shouldn't be to bad
anyones best bet to get the most wins is to use the deck they are best with

my question is with new sets, a new set will more than likely make me want to switch some cards up

its really tricky with some people say the HS-NEX format and some saying HS-DEX

May I ask which online program is used for these Gym challenges? I'm very interested in playing, but do not know if PTCGO, Redshard or something else is in use.

Thanks in forward.

That's the web page? And if I'm not mistaken, I just have to register and then I'll be able to play online?

The_Joker said:
That's the web page? And if I'm not mistaken, I just have to register and then I'll be able to play online?

You'll have to register on BebesSearch first and create your deck there (don't worry, its very easy and free) then log onto playtcg.me with the same account and you'll be able to play.

Here is a guide that can help: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-how-to-use-playtcg

Spidy said:
but building to counter one deck will probably leave it open to another leaders deck.

my question is with new sets, a new set will more than likely make me want to switch some cards up

Yeah, it's HS-DE for all the gyms. We had the gyms ready for awhile and some of the leaders forgot to update the format. If you thought otherwise, go ahead and update your deck for DE. No big deal.

I'll go in and fix everybody's post now. Sorry for any confusion.

PokeGasm said:
what happens if someone beats all 8 of em...then what?

If someone beats all 8 gyms, they will be crowned the Champion and will most likely gain their own gym that is only challenge able after a member beats all 8 gyms.

Spidy said:

1. The new set is already on PlayTCG

2. One could just purposely lose to every gym leader then counter deck all of them

Spidy said:

We will deal with this issue as it comes up. More than likely, some (if not most) of the Gym Leaders will change decks entirely as new sets come out. This whole thing has been in planning since right before Next Destinies came out, and the leaders all changed decks since then.

I'm gonna make a guess/suggestion that when a new set comes out, we give everyone the option of changing decks before the next challenge or something similar.

More than likely gyms will be over before the next set.

TDL said:
More than likely gyms will be over before the next set.

Oh, is that how you guys did it? Just quickly? Hm.

Well, it makes sense. The next set doesn't come out until August anyways.

I realize that the rule against changing decks is to prevent counter-decking, but at the same time I see so many things wrong with it.
Confused? I'll explain anyway.

Given that all eight of the gym leaders there are good players (and you are, right?), then making a single deck that can beat all eight of the gyms would be almost impossible - indeed, a deck that has favorable matchups against most decks might have an unfavorable matchup against one or two of the others - and given how there are eight gyms, a wide spectrum of decks is possible.

So isn't there any other countermeasure you can take to make this challenge reasonable and not have a "sucks-to-be-you-if-you-picked-the-wrong-deck" vibe to it?

Back