XY Sylveon's Type to (most likely) be Revealed Next Week (Update: Kinda...)

The "Eeveelutions are special types" argument is not just outdated, but merely a coincidence...in a sense.

You see, there was two similar things going on there:
1st gamefreak had to decide which types would be physical and which special, and the reasoning was that all those that are more material and less energetic phenomenom, were made physical. You know, Fight, Rock, Ground...
And those that felt very elemental were made special. When you think of elements, you think of Fire, Water, Electric...

the 2nd thing is, the concept behind Eevee is that it is an average pet-like mammal which gains elemental powers upon exposure.

These 2 things simply share the same reasoning and ended up with lots of the same choices (the types that are elemental enough were made special, and eevee was made to evolve into the types that are elemental).

Dragon was probably one of those types that was decided to be special so there is a more even number lol.

Also, Dark was made special back in gen II because Steel was clearly the more appropriate candidate for physical...so Umbreon wouldnt be justified now that 95% of Dark moves are physical LOL.

wait... what'll happen when they try to test if Sylveon is a flying type.

inb4 (not really): *spat* "welp, not a flying type, but now we'll never know"

If Sylveon really turns out to be Fairy type, then it's gonna be possible for Eevee to evolve into "creature types" (Fairy, Dragon, Ghost, Bug), unlike many people say that it can only evolve by elemental powers

beaulier said:
If Sylveon really turns out to be Fairy type, then it's gonna be possible for Eevee to evolve into "creature types" (Fairy, Dragon, Ghost, Bug), unlike many people say that it can only evolve by elemental powers

I never really felt like there was a 'rule' that eevee has to evolve in something elemental,just that it would be hard to make it dragon or bug, since it's a mammal and they try to keep it mammal-like. I don't see that issue with ghost, for example, since you can have an undead mammal or mummie or something like that.
With fairy I guess we'll have to see how literal gf takes it. I have a feeling that they define fairy mostly over 'magical' powers, like the ones sylveon has in the movie trailer, or this new gym that's speculated to be fairy(the one that changes from normal looking to all mythical and glittery and not so much as a fairy(the mythical creature) itself. This would give fairy type a partly elemental feeling in my opinion.

beaulier said:

well its not like it turns into a fairy... it just gains magical powers, which still seems fitting.

Its still quite easy to explain what Fairy is about in an elemental sense.. words come to mind like magic tricks, illusions, astrological and fortune.. (I'm guessing of course since we don't know yet if thats the case)

Its harder to describe what "Dragon-element" powers are (fire breathing? epicness?) , or "Bug-element" for example (resistant exoskeleton...).

I think its enough and hope this is the speculated "cherry-on-top" final eeveelution tho... Eevee did its job. Gimme new poke with multiple evolution concept instead plz.

Or have each gen introduce one instead?

gen 1: little humanoid pokemon - Normal
evolving and learning different ways to fight (fan-favourite type trio people have been demanding for ages)
A-Fighting
B-Psychic
C-Dark
extra next gen
D-Normal/Flying (or even pure Flying if they came up with a good enough design)

gen 2: a fighter - Fighting
mixing martial arts with elements
A-Fighting/Electric - THUNDERPUNCH
B-Fighting/Fire - FIRE PUNCH
C-Fighting/Ice - ICE PUNCH
extras next gen (what hitmons tried to do):
D-Fighting/Dark - offense
E-Fighting/Steel - defense

gen 3: a typical psychic, who learns to control different classical elements ( the concept of pyrokinesis expanded to include all 4 greek elements) - Psychic
A-Psychic/Water (water)
B-Psychic/Ground (earth)
C-Psychic/Fire (fire)
D-Psychic/Flying (wind)

gen 4: a formless creature looking like plankton or a cell (ala Solosis/Ditto) - Normal
mimicing different life-forms with a still microscopic-biological look
A-Grass (plant)
B-Bug (insect)
C-Water (aquatic)
D-Poison (virus/sludge)

gen 5: a typical dino/monster pokemon (Nidoran/Aron) - Dragon
gaining different kinds of armors while being a badass Dragon with exotic types
A-Dragon/Steel (quadruped)
B-Dragon/Rock (semi-quadruped and big)
C-Dragon/Ice (bipedal and fast)
D-Dragon/Poison (spiky)

gen 6: catterpillar that changes into different colored identical looking cocoons, to emerge as a moth of different types - Bug
A-Bug/Psychic
B-Bug/Water
C-Bug/Electric
D-Bug/Fire

I'm sure the Dragon with armors would be a huge hit. Its like 4 new cool dragons in one. All of those with potential for 2 more next gen etc...

thats what Im talking about. Eeveelution is like a roadblock to this awesomeness lol.

Mitja said:
beaulier said:

well its not like it turns into a fairy... it just gains magical powers, which still seems fitting.

Its still quite easy to explain what Fairy is about in an elemental sense.. words come to mind like magic tricks, illusions, astrological and fortune.. (I'm guessing of course since we don't know yet if thats the case)

Its harder to describe what "Dragon-element" powers are (fire breathing? epicness?) , or "Bug-element" for example (resistant exoskeleton...).

I think its enough and hope this is the speculated "cherry-on-top" final eeveelution tho... Eevee did its job. Gimme new poke with multiple evolution concept instead plz.

Or have each gen introduce one instead?

gen 1: little humanoid pokemon - Normal
evolving and learning different ways to fight (fan-favourite type trio people have been demanding for ages)
A-Fighting
B-Psychic
C-Dark
extra next gen
D-Normal/Flying (or even pure Flying if they came up with a good enough design)

gen 2: a fighter - Fighting
mixing martial arts with elements
A-Fighting/Electric - THUNDERPUNCH
B-Fighting/Fire - FIRE PUNCH
C-Fighting/Ice - ICE PUNCH
extras next gen (what hitmons tried to do):
D-Fighting/Dark - offense
E-Fighting/Steel - defense

gen 3: a typical psychic, who learns to control different classical elements ( the concept of pyrokinesis expanded to include all 4 greek elements) - Psychic
A-Psychic/Water (water)
B-Psychic/Ground (earth)
C-Psychic/Fire (fire)
D-Psychic/Flying (wind)

gen 4: a formless creature looking like plankton or a cell (ala Solosis/Ditto) - Normal
mimicing different life-forms with a still microscopic-biological look
A-Grass (plant)
B-Bug (insect)
C-Water (aquatic)
D-Poison (virus/sludge)

gen 5: a typical dino/monster pokemon (Nidoran/Aron) - Dragon
gaining different kinds of armors while being a badass Dragon with exotic types
A-Dragon/Steel (quadruped)
B-Dragon/Rock (semi-quadruped and big)
C-Dragon/Ice (bipedal and fast)
D-Dragon/Poison (spiky)

gen 6: catterpillar that changes into different colored identical looking cocoons, to emerge as a moth of different types - Bug
A-Bug/Psychic
B-Bug/Water
C-Bug/Electric
D-Bug/Fire

I'm sure the Dragon with armors would be a huge hit. Its like 4 new cool dragons in one. All of those with potential for 2 more next gen etc...

thats what Im talking about. Eeveelution is like a roadblock to this awesomeness lol.

I like your ideas. I think it'd be cool to have more pokemon like Eevee, but GF shows no where near as much innovation to compare to it's fanbase.

Referring back to when you said "cherry-on-top" insinuates that you're hoping for Sylveon to be the last Eeveelution. I was actually wondering about this the other day. I thought two times now since Gen 1 they have come in pairs (Eeveelutions). However they're showcasing Sylveon as a stand alone and even in the trailer theres no sign of another eevee anywhere. I'm thinking that either Sylveon may be the last Eeveelution OR if the rumoured *fairy* type turns out to be true, then it could just be GF's way of debuting a new type on a familiar pokemon. Meaning that a new type and Eeveelution would suffice for now, but personally I'm hoping theres more to come in future gens. I really want every type of Eevee to officially exist.

Well from what I'm guessing someone in a dragon costume will roar at slyveon who simply wont care
they won't give the full type though

to pull in another thread (for those who haven't seen it yet , like I hadn't until yesterday) there are supposed insider leaks (don't forget the follow-up either) that say Sylveon is indeed a new type, called Fairy. While there's still a chance it could be faked (increasingly unlikely, it seems), hopefully this will end all the raging trying to guess what type it is

iSharingan said:
to pull in another thread (for those who haven't seen it yet , like I hadn't until yesterday) there are supposed insider leaks (don't forget the follow-up either) that say Sylveon is indeed a new type, called Fairy. While there's still a chance it could be faked (increasingly unlikely, it seems), hopefully this will end all the raging trying to guess what type it is

Its weak to poison, thats proof enough that its a new type.

Tai Le Ree said:
iSharingan said:

it's the only type that can't hold it's liquor. *ba-dum psh!*
bad joke is bad

Tai Le Ree said:
iSharingan said:

That could merely be a "nope shes not immune to poison" reaction since they were testing Steel.

Late to the Party...

As it says above, I'm a little late to the party on this discussion. I feel like in this forum, it's mostly accepted that there is a new type coming to the game, that it's called Fairy, and that Sylveon will be that type. I'm gonna make a bit of a post making a further case for it though, if that's not too bothersome.

[1.] There is already a 'Fairy' Egg Group.
  • Egg Groups are Bug, Ditto, Dragon, Fairy, Field, Flying, Ground, Human-like, Amorphous, Mineral, Monster, Plant, Water 1-3.
  • Of the 13 Egg Groups (Not counting the 2nd/3rd Water) 1 is a single Pokemon, 7 are not types, and 5 are currently types. While this does not automatically mean Fairy would be a type, it sets precedent.
  • Mawile, rumored by WPM's source to gain the Fairy type, is in the Fairy Egg Group (As well as Field)
  • Other Pokemon in the Fairy Egg Group are: Pikachu line, Clefairy line, Jigglypuff line, Chansey line, Togepi Line, Marill line, Hoppip line, Snubbull line, Shroomish line, Skitty line, Plusle/Minun, Roselia line, Castform, Snorunt line, Pachirisu, Cherubi line, Manaphy/Phione, Audino, and Cottonee line. Most of these are monotype, and a good number are Normal type.

[2.] The names of Sylveon have a Fairy-related etymology.
  • The Japanese name for Sylveon is 'Nymphia', the French is Nymphali. Both are derived from 'nymph', a type of forest or water fairy/sprite.
  • The German name is Feelinara, which is derived from the German word 'fee' or 'feen' which means pixie or fairy.
  • The English, Spanish, and Italian names are Sylveon, which seems to be derived from 'sylph', a type of wind spirit or fairy.

[3.] The border around Sylveon in the movie promotion appears to be a pink insect-like wing.

• type_sylveon.jpg
  • Espeon's border is a gemstone, which seems to bear some connection to 'Esper', the Japanese name for the Psychic type. In the Diamond/Pearl Pokedexes, it says 'the orb on its forehead glows when it uses psycho-power'. The Psychic-gemstone relationship is shared by Starmie, Slowking, Spoink, Grumpig, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Elgyem, and Beheeyem.
  • Umbreon's border appears to be some sort of demonic fang, eye, or wing. In Japanese, the Dark type is called 'Aku', which means 'evil' or 'wicked'.
  • Sylveon's border is a dark pink oval split into lighter pink sections. The design of these sections seems to form a sort of insect-like wing. It's important to remember that in popular culture, Fairies tend to be depicted with a pair of wings which are split into either two or three separate sections much like those of butterflies.
  • Each of the other previous Eeveelutions has a fitting border based on their element.

[4.] The 'Type Test' of Pokemon Smash indicates either a new type or a dual-type Pokemon.
This point has variables based on the translation you look at. According to Pokejungle's translation:
  • The hosts tested to see if Sylveon was Fighting – she failed.
    Next they tested to see if she was strong against ice – she was!
    She was strong against Ice, so they tested if she was Steel by attacking her with poison type – She wasn’t resistant to it, in fact, it was super-effective against her!
    *Please note that the 'super-effective' bit was edited in after the writer did a better translation, and is therefore considered the 'accurate' statement.
Others have said that this test only revealed that Sylveon was not immune or resistant to Poison, indicating only a neutral effectiveness. Some say the test to see if she was Fighting type revealed she was weak against Fighting. Still others claim that the tests were only to find out if Sylveon was any of the three types mentioned, and that she didn't seem to be any of them. Therefore, I'll break down the different types based on the various weaknesses and resistances.

• ~Weak to Fighting: Normal, Ice, Rock, Dark, Steel
  • Dark and Ice are taken up by Umbreon and Glaceon, Ice is not strong against Ice.
  • Eevee is already Normal, although otherwise this would be possible.
  • Rock is eliminated, as Rock is resistant to Poison.
  • Steel is eliminated, as Sylveon is shown not to be Immune to Poison.
    ~Super Effective against Ice: Fire, Fighting, Rock, Steel
  • Fire is taken up by Flareon.
  • Fighting is eliminated, as Sylveon is either 'not Fighting' or weak to Fighting.
  • Rock is eliminated, as Rock is resistant to Poison.
  • Steel is eliminated, as Sylveon is shown not to be Immune to Poison.
    ~Weak to Poison: Grass
  • Grass is taken up by Leafeon, and is not strong against Ice.
As you can see, no monotype could fit this collection of advantages/disadvantages. Now, let's see if any dual-typed Pokemon do. At the bottom I'll leave my data in a spoiler so you can all take a look, but outside of that I'm going to only talk about what fits.

• ~Pokejungle's Translation: Not Fighting, Strong Against Ice, Weak to Poison
  • Grass/Fire: Not Fighting type, strong against Ice, and weak to Poison.
    ~Pokejungle's earlier Translation: Not Fighting, Strong Against Ice, Not Resistant/Immune to Poison
  • Grass/Fire: Not Fighting type, strong against Ice, and weak to Poison.
  • Grass/Rock: Not Fighting type, strong against Ice, neutral damage from Poison.
    ~Fighting-Weak Theory #1: Weak against Fighting, Strong Against Ice, Not Resistant/Immune to Poison
  • Grass/Rock: Weak to Fighting, strong against Ice, takes neutral damage from Poison.
    ~Fighting-Weak Theory #2: Weak against Fighting, Strong Against Ice, Weak to Poison
  • No combination that I know of.
So yeah, if any of those translations are correct then Sylveon would have to be either Grass/Fire or Grass/Rock to be any existing type.
The only options I can see are a new type, redefined strengths/weaknesses of existing types, or that this video merely meant to illustrate that Sylveon was none of the three types tested. (I find that last option to be unlikely, given the Pokejungle translation) If I've missed anything, do let me know. The type match-up data was taken from my Pokemon Platinum Official Guide and checked against the type chart on Serebii.net as well as Pokemondb.net, so I'm reasonably certain it's accurate and I don't think I missed any combinations.

[Type Alterations between R/B/Y and G/S/C]
I got this from Pokemondb.net as well, the last time type alterations were made. I edited it into the post, because I forgot to include it when I first posted.
  • There were no Dark or Steel types.
  • Ghost-type moves had no effect on Psychic Pokemon. This was actually a mistake: several game guides stated that Ghost was super-effective on Psychic, and an in-game trainer at Saffron City says that "Psychic Pokemon fear only ghosts and bugs!" However, this only affected one move: Lick. The two other Ghost moves, Confuse Ray and Night Shade, affected all Pokemon equally. It was corrected in Generation II when Ghost became super-effective against Psychic.
  • Bug was super-effective on Poison and vice-versa. This was changed so that Bug is now not very effective against Poison, and Poison now does regular damage against Bug.
  • Bug was regularly effective against Ghost. Now it is not very effective.
  • Ice type moves were regularly effective against Fire type Pokemon. Now they are not very effective.
[Dual-typing Data]
Normal/Ice is double-weak to Fighting, but isn't strong against Ice and takes neutral damage from Poison.
Normal/Rock is double-weak to Fighting and strong against Ice, but is resists Poison.
Normal/Dark is double-weak to Fighting, but isn't strong against Ice and takes neutral damage from Poison.
Normal/Steel is double-weak to Fighting and strong against Ice, but immune to Poison.
Ice/Rock is double-weak to Fighting and strong against Ice, but resists Poison.
Ice/Dark is double-weak to Fighting, but isn't strong against Ice and takes neutral damage from Poison.
Ice/Steel is double-weak to Fighting and strong against Ice, but immune to Poison.
Rock/Dark is double weak to Fighting and strong against Ice, but resistant to Poison.
Rock/Steel is double-weak to Fighting and strong against Ice, but immune to poison.
Dark/Steel is double-weak to Fighting and strong against Ice, but immune to poison.

Fire/Rock is weak to Fighting and strong against Ice, but resists Poison.
Fire/Fighting is strong against Ice, but isn't weak against Fighting and takes neutral damage from Poison.
Fire/Steel is weak to Fighting and strong against Ice, but immune to Poison.
Fighting/Rock is weak to Fighting and strong against Ice, but resists Poison.
Fighting/Steel is weak to Fighting and strong against Ice, but immune to Poison.
Rock/Steel is double-weak to Fighting and strong against Ice, but immune to Poison.

Grass/Normal weak to both Fighting and Poison, but isn't strong against Ice.
Grass/Dark weak to both Poison and Fighting, but isn't strong against Ice.
Grass/Ice weak to both Fighting and Poison, but isn't strong against Ice.
Grass/Fire is strong against Ice and weak to Poison, but isn't weak to Fighting.
Grass/Fighting is strong against (and weak to) Ice and weak to Poison, but isn't weak to Fighting.
Grass/Rock is strong against (and weak to) Ice and weak to Fighting, but takes neutral damage from Poison.
Grass/Steel is strong against Ice and weak to Fighting, but immune to Poison.
[Regarding WPM's Source]
If the info WPM was given on Fairy Type's weakness/resistances is correct:
  • Psychic at 3 weaknesses, 3 resistances.
  • Fire at 3 weaknesses, 6 resistances.
  • Fighting at 3 weaknesses, 3 resistances.
  • Dark at 3 weaknesses, 2 resistances, 1 immunity (3 resistances if bypassing immunity.
  • Dragon at 3 weaknesses, 4 resistances, and 2 types it is ineffective against.
  • Poison at 2 types it is strong against.
  • Steel at 3 types it is strong against.
  • Ice at 5 weaknesses, 1 resistance.
Has WPM made a statement regarding the Pokemon Smash video? I'm curious what his source has to say about the supposed super-effectiveness against Ice types.

All of the Eevee evolutions types are all really obvious, except maybe Umbreon and Espeon. Sylveon's type, however, doesn't match any of the types well. This helps prove the theory that there will probably be a new type introduced in X and Y.

Why is everyone dancing around the fact that Pokemon Smash has directly contradicted the rumors about the fairy type. It could still be a real type, but our supposed leaked weaknesses/resistances are wrong. I'm still hoping there is some kind of mistake in the Smash stuff, though. Ice does NOT need more weaknesses. If anything, it needs to lose a few of the ones it already has.

Fairy isn't super effective against ice. And dragon would only have one type it was ineffective against if fairy type happens, although i guess having a type to take on dragons in competetive situations would be good.

halfrican said:
Why is everyone dancing around the fact that Pokemon Smash has directly contradicted the rumors about the fairy type. It could still be a real type, but our supposed leaked weaknesses/resistances are wrong. I'm still hoping there is some kind of mistake in the Smash stuff, though. Ice does NOT need more weaknesses. If anything, it needs to lose a few of the ones it already has.
Some people have thought that Sylvie being strong against Ice in Smash may have simply been that it could use it's STAB moves on Ice without Ice resisting it.
Although agreed, Ice doesn't need anymore weaknesses than it already does.

P.DelSlayer said:
halfrican said:
Some people have thought that Sylvie being strong against Ice in Smash may have simply been that it could use it's STAB moves on Ice without Ice resisting it.
I hope this is correct. If so, the whole bit was very misleading...

halfrican said:
P.DelSlayer said:
I hope this is correct. If so, the whole bit was very misleading...

Me too, if ice gets another weakness, and fairy is super effective against dragon then ice types would become pretty much redundant

P.DelSlayer said:
halfrican said:

I agree. If ice gets anymore weaknesses my Glaceon will suck more than it does already (but I still love it). Anyways, do you think pokemon smash would really go into that much depth while playing these games? I don't watch smash much, but I know it's generally for kids. What if they're just saying that Sylveon isn't weak to ice?

Back