Super Rod's correct translation is Night Maintenance.

Jahikoi

Aspiring Trainer
nnaann said:
Decks will adapt to it, so that isn't really a problem. Right now, no one seems to care much about Vileplume. We run 3-1-3 Stage 2 lines, Professor Elm's Training Method is non existent, and without trainers a lot of decks are crippled. If Vileplume does become popular, it will just mean adding more Pokemon search in the form of Supporters, running more Stage 1s and just being able to set up without trainers.

The problem is, without trainers, there is almost no engine for ANY deck. In MD-on, I ran Magnerock with 3 trainers in the entire list. In this format, you NEED trainers; even if you play vileplume.

Glace

Top 8, Worlds 2013
Advanced Member
Mudkip said:
Yay! No more stupid Flower Shop Lady! I hated wasted my supporter for a turn on that. I'm glad they realized we need more recovery cards.

I agree. I hated using FSL for recovery so I just took it out :p. This next set is going to be great. I think I'll buy a box.

I'm glad the made the name shorter too.

Jahikoi

Aspiring Trainer
glaceon said:
Mudkip said:
Yay! No more stupid Flower Shop Lady! I hated wasted my supporter for a turn on that. I'm glad they realized we need more recovery cards.

I agree. I hated using FSL for recovery so I just took it out :p. This next set is going to be great. I think I'll buy a box.

Most of the cards that they have shown will come with the set AFTER Emerging Powers. Don't get your hopes up.

Glace

Top 8, Worlds 2013
Advanced Member
Oh ya... I'll buy a box of the winter set then. Future tornaments will be really exciting.

GHJamesGH

Retired Mod
I adore all of these reprints of the cards that made a good impact on the game, but I am still waiting for cards that will make an impact on the game now. I want to look back in a few years and say "that format was the best format ever," or "the format is just as good and balanced as it was a few years ago."

Tiftonhotchild

The one and Only....
with pokemon catcher vileplume will be really hard to get out. I still believe that trainers will be the best form of recovery. and night maintance is the way to go. the reprint that is

Moldy orange

Aspiring Trainer
People will be able to use Gothitelle instead of playing Vileplume. Gothitelle's ability only stops your opponent from using Item cards-you're still able to. Vileplume stops both players.

DSJ

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
^But Gothitelle needs to be active.

I miss playing Night Maintenance, Best recovery card ever. Good bye FSL!

nnaann

Aspiring Trainer
Jahikoi said:
nnaann said:
Decks will adapt to it, so that isn't really a problem. Right now, no one seems to care much about Vileplume. We run 3-1-3 Stage 2 lines, Professor Elm's Training Method is non existent, and without trainers a lot of decks are crippled. If Vileplume does become popular, it will just mean adding more Pokemon search in the form of Supporters, running more Stage 1s and just being able to set up without trainers.

The problem is, without trainers, there is almost no engine for ANY deck. In MD-on, I ran Magnerock with 3 trainers in the entire list. In this format, you NEED trainers; even if you play vileplume.

If you want to run high trainer counts, use cards like Sage's Training or Juniper. That way,you can discard any trainers under trainer lock, and quickly draw through your deck. I run that in a Vileplume varient, and means that I can hit a T2 Vileplume the majority of the time without it punishing me for the rest of the game.

Ghost Bear

Eat work. Crap money.
I think this thread is getting a little off topic.

the point is, you don't need to run more than 1 or 2 super rods anyway, just the chance you run into a vileplume deck every once in a while that stops you from using your 1 or 2 cards in your 60 card deck for recovery of thing you should have enough of in your deck anyway isn't a big enough deal to consider running FSL instead of/as well as super rod. if they have vileplume out then that means they've put time into getting a stage 2 set up, meaning you're had more time to set up and KO their pokemon, meaning super rod's need becomes less abundant.

running 3-4 super rods would be the only thing that would hurt you against vileplume, but there's no need to have that many recoveries in your deck, but then you'd be crippled in the early game. same reason people who run 3-4 fisherman and/or 3-4 energy retrievals in their deck take longer to set up than without them.

slap 0-2 super rods in your deck and you'll do great

TragicTheSaddening

Insert Something Here
I'm looking forward to this card being released in English. I've never played in a format with Night Maintenance so I'm interested in seeing how good the card really is.

Also I guess the new translation makes a bit more sense when you think of the other cards in our format (my first reaction was "this is just a worse energy returner.....WHY MAKE THIS CARD!!!!" xD )

Zhaituki

The hollowized typhlosion tamer.
Flower shop lady will face extinction. This is like trainer version of it. xD

Ghost Bear

Eat work. Crap money.
Zhaituki said:
Flower shop lady will face extinction. This is like trainer version of it. xD

I don't think it would be extinction....just a rare species. decks that run 4 juniper could still use an fsl or 2. but that's about it.

epic aki

Aspiring Trainer
I can see super rod working amazing wonders in my yanmega deck.
I have 2 rescue energies in the deck, but late game you start to run out of yanmega power. Being able to put them back in you deck, between the sunflora and constant hand refreshes, could make all the difference in the world.

Now if only they would give me my vs seeker back.
:"P
Or something that could retrieve supports from the discard.

Jahikoi

Aspiring Trainer
The lack of night maintenance is one of the things that was making jumpluff bad after rotation (as well as bts missing...)

Spidy

Aspiring Trainer
Jahikoi said:
The lack of night maintenance is one of the things that was making jumpluff bad after rotation (as well as bts missing...)

the thing that made jumpluff bad was the lack of claydol and roseannes last year

JPN Gallade

That dream... make it come true!
I'm actually glad that Night Maintenance is returning to the TCG. I always found Night Maintenance to be an extremely useful recovery card late game. I'm kind of tired of playing Flower Shop Lady for recovery since it takes up supporter space, but the fact that Super Rod is a trainer and can be reused via Junk Arm makes it a pretty good card to use compared to Flower Shop Lady.

PokePhenom

Aspiring Trainer
Jahikoi said:
glaceon said:
Mudkip said:

Most of the cards that they have shown will come with the set AFTER Emerging Powers. Don't get your hopes up.

... These were revealed in a commercial for red collection.. Thats before emerging powers :p

Jahikoi

Aspiring Trainer
PokePhenom said:
Jahikoi said:
glaceon said:
Mudkip said:

... These were revealed in a commercial for red collection.. Thats before emerging powers :p

They were revealed for Red Collection. That means they will probably come out in the set AFTER emerging powers... which is what I said.

El Radar

AKA Le Radar
I definitely approve. While most of the discussion around has been regarding how this will affect energy recovery (comparison to Retrieval, Returner, etc.), this card (just as it was in the DP-era) will be a staple in every deck. FSL does have its perks, but having to fulfill the requirements if you can only serves the purpose of preventing you from decking out. Beefed up lines (4-2-4) and this will make FSL non-existent in the format.