'Star Wars' Director Pick JJ Abrams

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
MTV News said:
The next installment in the "Star Wars" franchise now has a director, and most agree the choice of "Star Trek" and "Lost" helmer J.J. Abrams is a good one.

"J.J. Abrams is a huge 'Star Wars' fan and will bring respect and familiarity to the job," Eric Geller of TheForce.Net told MTV News. "There will be jokes about lens flares and such, but when it really comes down to it, I think Abrams will bring a fresh angle to the project."

Bryan Young of Big Shiny Robot agrees. "I'm incredibly happy. I think J.J. Abrams is an exciting and interesting director who will do right for the franchise. His work in the genre is unparalleled for a filmmaker of his generation, and his love of 'Star Wars' runs deep."

Young cited Abrams' previous films as evidence of his suitability for the "Episode VII" director's chair. "I think all you need to do is look to his work both on 'Super 8' and 'Star Trek' to see why he'd be a good fit," he said.

Young believes Abrams possesses the sense of humor and adventure that "Star Wars" requires, as well as the ability to handle epic drama. "Remember how hard we all cried in the opening scenes of 'Star Trek' with the death of Kirk's father? Apply that level of emotion and turmoil to 'Star Wars' and I think we've got something to look forward to," he said. "A 'Star Wars' film in his hands seems like a match made in heaven."

Both Geller and Young anticipate the director's new take on familiar characters and settings. "I just hope that Abrams can balance his desire to produce a film that he, as a fan, would like to watch with his desire to work collaboratively with the writer, the producers and, of course, George Lucas," Geller said.

What do you think?

I'm pretty optimistic about this; Abrams has the ability to do the franchise justice.

I actually don't mind this at all one bit (if it's true).

If he does what he did to Star Trek, I'll be even happier.

dmaster out.

Directs Star Trek. Directs Star Wars. Wouldn't that be if like the same person who directed Twilight directed Harry Potter? <_<

jk. All joking aside, I know that this guy is a very good director, so I'm hoping we get a great Star Wars 7, 8, and 9. I think Star Wars has some serious potential to get back to the level it used to be at.

MTV News said:
His work in the genre is unparalleled for a filmmaker of his generation

Because Avatar, Aliens, and any other Sci-fi movie that Cameron made apparently failed.
Sidenote to the actual person who said this: Abrams is good, but he is young at this. It's kind of a loaded answer.

Not that I don't like Abrams, I just hadn't seen any of his stuff except from Lost.

dmaster said:
If he does what he did to Star Trek, I'll be even happier.

Reboot it?

Great! Movies 7,8, and 9 are 4, 5, and 6 redone.

I forgot to say 'minus the reboot part' lol. I just liked the look of the movie and the updated feel. Idk if it was something off about Episode 1, 2 and 3, but they just didn't look that great, and since they were released so late after the original trilogy, the style didn't mesh well. At least with stable releases, if they plan on connecting two trilogies together, they'll look a lot closer and I have that kind of faith in someone like Abrams.

dmaster out.

No matter how good or bad it is, I think there will be that group of people that are overly obsessed with Star Wars and will think it is absolutely terrible because its not the original stuff.

TPO3 said:
Directs Star Trek. Directs Star Wars. Wouldn't that be if like the same person who directed Twilight directed Harry Potter? <_<

jk. All joking aside, I know that this guy is a very good director, so I'm hoping we get a great Star Wars 7, 8, and 9. I think Star Wars has some serious potential to get back to the level it used to be at.

Soon. Stargate the movie.

I think this is a good decision, hopefully he doesn't screw it up and makes it as good as Star Trek.

Stargate already had a movie, Blui.

the prequel trilogy was heavily green-screened which is why it can be somewhat jarring to watch, especially compared to the original trilogy (which was mostly done without the aid of computers)

Zenith said:
the prequel trilogy was heavily green-screened which is why it can be somewhat jarring to watch, especially compared to the original trilogy (which was mostly done without the aid of computers)

Finally an explanation of the preference for the first trilogy that makes sense.

I heard JJ Abrams is a huge Star Wars fan. He sneaks a Star Wars reference into everything. In Star Trek, in the debris field there is R2D2 floating. In one of his television series the license plates on the cars were R2D2 and C3PO.

omahanime said:
Zenith said:

Finally an explanation of the preference for the first trilogy that makes sense.

The acting, character development, and overall story are definitely worse then the original, Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman in particular did awful. Episodes I-III were going to be held to a very high standard that Star Wars was not only very popular but also held to high esteem to critics at the time (such as Star Wars: A New Hope winning best picture). They certainly are not as bad as some like to say but just worse movies overall.

Always, JJ Abrams is an excellent choice to direct the new films.

I have never been disappointed in anything from Abrams, he is really extraordinary. No worries here.

Fringe. <3

Blui129 said:
Soon. Stargate the movie.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Stargate_movies

There are many of these. In fact, it started as a movie.

As for JJ Abrams, I have no doubts in his abilities. His work in Fringe, Revolution and Star Trek are fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2bA6jc6KqQ

Now we've got spin-offs. Good or bad? I personally think the Boba Fett movie will be really interesting, but that might just be the extreme fangasm talking.

Back