• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Speed World [Gengar Prime] (HGSS-on)

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
So, trying to build a few lists that work in HGSS-on, and it definitely isn't easy. Not to mention frustrating seeing as how I lost awesome staples like Bebe's and Luxury Ball. Oh, and Spiritomb.

So, here's a basic 60-card list; I'm not exactly sure how good it is or where I can make some cutbacks but here it is.

Pokemon: 21
2 Stantler UL
4-3-4 Gengar Prime
1 Smeargle UD
1-1 Slowking HS (Rambunctious Party-Second Sight)
1 Rotom UD (Mischievous Trick)
2 Mew Prime
2 Spiritomb TM (Spooky Whirlpool)

Energy: 15
12 Psychic Energy
3 Rescue Energy

T/S/S: 24
1 Alph Lithograph #4
1 Flower Shop Lady
2 Cheerleader's Cheer
3 Lost World
2 Pokemon Collector
3 Pokemon Communication
2 Professor Elm's Training Method
3 Rare Candy
4 Seeker
3 Twins

Strategy: Use either Stantler or Smeargle as a Starter (preferably Stantler) and start putting Gastly onto my bench. Then start powering them up to Gengar. When a Stantler goes down (or retreats), use Hurl into Darkness to mass-RFP their hand. Alternatively, Mew Prime can be used as well, since it does not require me to evolve twice - even a T1 See Off can put me at a tremendous advantage in that respect.

Techs: Slowking HS is for adjusting draw. Spiritomb is for disrupting my opponent and forcing them to draw into a new hand, potentially letting me RFP more (crucial) Pokemon. Rotom+Alph Lithograph is there just in case 2 of my Lost World are prized (or some other crucial card besides). As for the T/S/S they'd be exactly what you would expect.
I'm currently wondering if I can still make room for a 1-1 Mismagius UL (Psychic Trans) and/or a Mr Mime CoL (Trick Reveal). I could probably remove 1 Seeker to make room for the Mime, as for the Mismagius I don't know. (I might not even need it.)

I know I can make cutbacks (e.g. probably reducing the Gengar line to 3-3-3), but any suggestions are welcome. The only obstacle to me building this deck is actually getting all the Lost World, all the Gengars, 1 Mismagius, Alph Lithograph, and Smeargle. (So, nothing too drastic, probably, save those last two.)

well with the new format people are actually playing less pokemon in their decks than before, so it may be harder to pull off. You may want to find a way to get pokemon back in there hands. I would suggest 3 seeker. you play a seeker and they only have a stage two in on the bench that's three pokemon you can LZ. May i suggest also adding 2-3 spiritomb from TR. If they can keep their hand empty, you drop him and they get a new hand and possibly more pokemon. IDK what you can take out for these additions, but they are just suggestions to take into thought.

I'd take out the two trickery for the spiritomb and another seeker, then take out 1 haunter to make it a 4-3-4 gengar line for a 4th seeker. trickery doesn't make sense....the goal is for them to have pokemon in their hand. playing trickery is like saying "here you go...beat me"

i dont see the point of having jirachi in this deck. if you playing lost world. then your goal is to get 6 pokemon into your opponent's lost zone BEFORE your opponent takes 5 Prizes. the only way to do this is by focusing on straight speed. and because of that, i think you need mew prime.

@Ghost Bear: ...wow, am I stupid. I didn't even notice that.
@ogeray: Straight speed, hm? 2 Mew Prime probably sounds adequate for that purpose, right? That frees me up tremendously - I can remove the Jirachi and the Mismagius line.

~~
Made a few changes based on the suggestions given. Also a quick question, would 1 Mr. Mime CoL (Trick Reveal) work in this deck or is it not even needed?

i don't think alph is useful if you aren't worried about killing things for prizes. maybe the alph that let's you look at their hand would be more useful Scenario: You play Alph, "oh look, they have no pokemon in their hand." then you use the second attack on gengar... But either way, it's not really worth it IMO. I think you need 3 or even 4 communications to help with speed.

I'm using that Lithograph because of Rotom UD (which the deck is running exactly 1 of); if 2 of my LW happen to be prized, I can move it to the topdeck instead. (Or I can move something good to the topdeck.)
...and why on earth did I only put 2 PokeComs in this list? You're right, that's an oversight on my part. I meant to put 3.

...probably a Flower Shop Lady. I only really need 1 in the deck.
Edit: Replaced 1 FSL with the third Pokecom, and replaced both the IQ for Cheerleader's Cheer. Why? Because:
~I have terrible track record with Interviewer's Questions
~I'm guaranteed 3 cards, and if my opponent chooses to draw 1, I can manipulate the topdeck (with Slowking) so I can RFP it. Probably more often than not, they won't, so that's basically 3 free cards.
~I'll have about the same chance of drawing into an energy anyway, plus more stuff besides

the thing with mew prime is, you need to see off a gengar into the lost zone first turn. otherwise, your mew would be over-powered mid game by their main attacker.

mew are glass cannons. they are fodder for your twins, and they need to take at least 1 pokemon with them.

for that reason, i run 4 mews in my deck. super high consistency, and a great back up "hurler" when your gengar's are not ready.

I am not sure what to take out but I would try and work in Mime Jr from COL using it with Slowking's 2nd Sight you can then make sure you hit a Pokemon ever time and if not at less make them draw into something that would be either dead or just slow them down. I use it right now in my Lostger deck if it works out at the battle road I going to keep it so I would give it a try and see if you can hit it off

-Personally, I see 12 psychic being too much energy because realistically you should only have to use around 6 per game. (I only run 8-9 Psychic and 2 Rescue in my list)

-Also, I would suggest using PONT and/or Juniper over Cheerleader's Cheer because sure 3 cards is nice, but getting 3 cards isn't as good as getting 6/7. Especially since (if your opponent isn't a complete scrub) you will never get them to draw a card from Cheerleader's Cheer.

-Third thing is that, as mentioned by jawsisra, Mime Jr. is a great starter that can get some important cards into your opponents lost zone every turn 1 especially if you have Slowking out.

-Pokegear 3.0 is one of the most broken cards this deck can use. Gets you a twins to search out whatever you need or a Seeker to get that last pokemon in the lost zone.

-Small thing, I never like playing less than 3 Collector's as they are rather useless late game for this deck

P.S. I based the majority of these suggestions on my current HGSS-On Lostgar build that can consistently get a T2 Gengar with 2 energy on it. Granted I don't run the Mew portion of your list as I do not like the card as more than a Spiritomb (when Leavanny comes out anyway).

HGSS-on is a very hard rotation to make decks from without the greatest cards from MD-on, but I think that you've done a great job! Only criticism would be that you need something to overcome an Absol Prime, which is hard considering that he has no weakness. What you need is something to stop him from attacking you if there is any way of locking whatsoever in HGSS-on.

Rescue energy. 4 of them. And you WILL NEED 4 mew prime. Your best start will not be stantler, it will be Mew Prime. If you run 4 Rescue energy you could possibly get rid of flower shop girl

Back