Speed M Rayquaza-EX

PineDog

Random TCG Trainer
in mega rayquaza to be as consistent as you can be you should run 4 shaymin
I disagree, while 4 Shaymin-EX's is pretty obvious, I personally believe having three is better. While it may not be as consistent, it will greatly help you in the late game. With Lysandre having at least 2-3 in each deck, it gets rid of an easy Lysandre target. Not only that, once you place it down, it becomes kind of useless. Let's say you use a Hoopa-EX to grab three Shaymin-EX's, that's four spots you could have used better. I do understand while a lot of players run four copies, I would much rather add more tech cards like Jirachi and Zoroark, or cards which have a good ability like Magearna-EX or Manaphy-EX. While it is pretty obvious when someone's doing it just to lower the price, I, along with other M Rayquaza-EX players I've meet, seem to be hesitant to throw in that extra copy. While it's pretty much better in Pure Speed Ray, but not necessary in a longevity based build, for those curious this is what I would add and remove from this deck list.

-1 Rayquaza-EX
-1 Shaymin-EX
-2 Hex Maniac
-4 Trainers' Mail
-1 Mega Turbo
-1 Special Charge

+1 Rayquaza-EX (Dragon)
+1 Magearna-EX
+2 Jirachi
+1 Zoroark
+1 Zorua
+1 Delinquent
+4 Puzzle of Time
+2 Float Stone
+1 Escape Rope
+1 Metal Energy

ProZlockie

Meow? Meow.
I have had to start calling judge on slow play. It got so bad that I have faced people and we both have had plenty of prize cards left because they refuse to make moves. One guy makes it obvious by watching other people playing and chiming into their conversation on THEIR TURN. Drives me nuts.

Yeah, I even told him to stop slow playing and he refused to listen. Unfortunately, the judge telling him to stop slow playing was ineffective. Taking way longer than it should to even decide what to take off an Ultra Ball. However, that was the most extreme case of slow play I've had to deal with in a while.

It's common. Would you rather your opponent hit for less damage, or not hit you at all? You got to make sure you can output better damage than they can, otherwise you lose. TBH, M Scizor beats almost the whole format.

I get what you're saying about them getting rid of the DCE, they'd get rid of it and risk me having another one at the chance of not being able to get an attack off.

ProZlockie

Meow? Meow.
I disagree, while 4 Shaymin-EX's is pretty obvious, I personally believe having three is better. While it may not be as consistent, it will greatly help you in the late game. With Lysandre having at least 2-3 in each deck, it gets rid of an easy Lysandre target. Not only that, once you place it down, it becomes kind of useless. Let's say you use a Hoopa-EX to grab three Shaymin-EX's, that's four spots you could have used better. I do understand while a lot of players run four copies, I would much rather add more tech cards like Jirachi and Zoroark, or cards which have a good ability like Magearna-EX or Manaphy-EX. While it is pretty obvious when someone's doing it just to lower the price, I, along with other M Rayquaza-EX players I've meet, seem to be hesitant to throw in that extra copy. While it's pretty much better in Pure Speed Ray, but not necessary in a longevity based build, for those curious this is what I would add and remove from this deck list.

-1 Rayquaza-EX
-1 Shaymin-EX
-2 Hex Maniac
-4 Trainers' Mail
-1 Mega Turbo
-1 Special Charge

+1 Rayquaza-EX (Dragon)
+1 Magearna-EX
+2 Jirachi
+1 Zoroark
+1 Zorua
+1 Delinquent
+4 Puzzle of Time
+2 Float Stone
+1 Escape Rope
+1 Metal Energy

Why would you remove Hex Maniac? It's the only way you can even compete against Darkrai / Giratina. And Trainers Mail is just way to useful for getting the trainer card that could help swing a game in your favor.

PineDog

Random TCG Trainer
Why would you remove Hex Maniac? It's the only way you can even compete against Darkrai / Giratina. And Trainers Mail is just way to useful for getting the trainer card that could help swing a game in your favor.
The Addition of Jirachi is my ideal tech for Darkrai/Giratina, but that's just personal preference. You could include Hex Maniac and not change much. As for Trainers' Mail, I don't know I just find Puzzle of Time better for getting important resources out of the discard pile, and allows me to be more reckless with my Professor Sycamore's. Again just personal preference.

bidou

Aspiring Trainer
I´ve tried many variants and opted for the Jolteons-EX in the end.
I know that Jolteon-EX isnt as effective in the current meta but the main reason you want Jolteon-EX over any other variant is the free retreat cost and te ability to be Hoopa´d.

The whole point of this deck is being able to start taking 1HKOs turn 1 or turn 2 at most.
With just the 4 Rayquazas you have 54% chance of not starting with a Rayquaza, in half of your matches you will have to rely on getting a Float Stone or Escape Rope to be able to go off turn 1 or 2 hurting the efficiency of the deck.

If you play 4 Rayquazas and 3 Jolteon you have only a 18% chance of not starting with either Rayquaza or Jolteon so you will have an easier time to get a Rayquaza into the active position turn 1.

Once Evolutions gets released I will probably replace the Karen with Brock´s and replace the remaining Super Rod for another Special Charge.

I too run an Electric version of M-Rayquaza EX, but without Jolteon EX.
I have found that Raichu is a better support to the Flying Snake than Jolteon. Raichu's attack, for a single DCE, can completely defeat the mirror, Yveltal (EX or not), and some others. It also has free retreat :)

I have found a slot for a copy of Mew EX in order to definitely turn the M-Mewtwo EX matchup into my favor (a cheap attack like Circle Circuit with weakness is terrible).

With this deck, everything is a matter of resources management.
I don't think that 4 copies of Skyfield are necessary if you play carefully. Don't overextend, keep your bench to the minimum size required to KO the opponent's active Pokémon, and be aware that Super Rod/Karen/Brock's Gut will be VERY important in the late game.
It is not that impossible to recover from a Parallel City, but you must be prepared to see one coming into play each turn, and know what to do when that happens.

About the number of Shaymin EX in the deck : I personally run "only" 3 copies, and I wouldn't add a 4th one.
3 is enough to ensure a good start and a T1/T2 OHKO each time that this deck serves a correct opening hand.
Mid-game, Shaymin EX is less important than control cards like Lysandre, Escape Rope or Hex Maniacs.
Late game, you will probably have discarded one or two copies, along with one Hoopa EX, to your opponent's Parallel Cities. Just shuffle this stuff back in the deck thanks to a Super Rod, and you're in the place again !

Finally, I only play 3 copies of the Spirit Link. You draw one most of the early games thanks to Trainer's Mail or Sycamore, and even if you don't that's not always a big issue. When you go first, there's absolutely no trouble in evolving Rayquaza EX without this tool since you won't be able to attack.
If you go second, the chances to have a perfect start with a Ultra Ball (and a basic energy to discard), a Mega Turbo, a DCE, and enough Pokémon on the bench to OHKO the active Pokémon are quite thin. It happens, yes. But not each game :)

GrampaB

Aspiring Trainer
I can't quite figure out what a DCE is, or refers to... I am still fairly new to the game.

Goldinguy

Aspiring Trainer
Any thoughts on the news cards coming out in evolutions? I think Brock's Grit will be great for us as well as considering replacing my Jolteon EXes with Dragonite EXes for his support in filling up the bench. I am concerned with retreat costs and lysandres but I can run a manaphy and switch the deck to water energy or I can continue running Zoroark as my secondary attacker for just a DCE with float stone to jump around lysandres and high retreat. Any other cards or ideas/suggestions I am unaware of yet from the new set?

AquaDragon82

The Canadian Gamer
I I believe that Rattata/Raticate might be a really good edition do Mega Ray since Rattata can discard your opponent'a Fighting Fury Belt or their Spirit Links, slowing them down. Raticate can also be a very good late game sweeper for a single Energy. There might be other playable cards, but those two are the first ones that come to my mind for Evolutions.

LightningCloud224

Aspiring Trainer
Dragonite is an ex you have to hold back for its effect, I really only like it in mega gardevoir steam siege to be honest. That raticate will encourage people to play special charge to counter those people who try it who will just stop playing raticate for more deck space because it is not working well. Brock's grit could be pretty good in mega ray but I'd prefer having basic energy in the discard for mega turbo.

Frontier Brain David

Aspiring Trainer
Brock's grit could be pretty good in mega ray but I'd prefer having basic energy in the discard for mega turbo.
True but however, it is mostly used to recycle Pokemon which the Mega Ray player has lost due to change of stadium/Parallel City.
In my opinion, I would say Brock's Grit and Dragonite-EX are the main cards which will help Mega Ray with consistency.

Goldinguy

Aspiring Trainer
I don't think you have to hold Dragonite back, you can play it to your bench just to fill up and even if the ability doesn't trigger its still giving you 30 extra damage. Then if it gets discarded for some reason you can use super rods or brock to get it back and start over and maybe the ability is useful next time. The only thing that worries me is, as I said, the super high retreat, specifically since he would be replacing the Jolteon EXes in the deck. But I will very likely switch to WaterQuaza for that

Frontier Brain David

Aspiring Trainer
I believe that jolteon is still good for the free retreat .
I don't think you have to hold Dragonite back, you can play it to your bench just to fill up and even if the ability doesn't trigger its still giving you 30 extra damage. Then if it gets discarded for some reason you can use super rods or brock to get it back and start over and maybe the ability is useful next time. The only thing that worries me is, as I said, the super high retreat, specifically since he would be replacing the Jolteon EXes in the deck. But I will very likely switch to WaterQuaza for that
I would honestly not replace the Jolteons but instead replace Zoroark. Since in my opinion, stage 1 is too slow for speed rayqayqay and sure the ability is good but you have Jolteon's free retreat. And in the case that you have an opponents pokemon that isn't affected by Ex's or anything of that nature, run 2 hex maniacs.

I_miss_Zoroark_GX

Aspiring Trainer
I don't recommend puzzle of time in this deck. 3 trainer's mails and a special charge are better.

Also, Karen is definitely better than Brock's. You want the energy in your discard for turbo.

LiftoffLizard

Hoenn Nerd
The retreat cost on this deck is in fact the real issue. So when Solgaleo GX is released finally this deck will become the ultimate deck.