Sailor Moon Crystal

Mitja

veteran smartass
Teal said:
Well Pluto was a planet when Sailor Moon was being drawn. :p

But it's not like pluto changed...our knowledge improved ;D

If we continued considering Pluto a planet, then we would also have to consider Ceres, Vesta and a big bunch of other similar bodies in the solar system...we just didn't discover them back then yet, to figure that counting those as planets really stretches the term out of what it was supposed to mean.

So the term planet was given a proper definition and by that Pluto simply isn't one of them. So in a way it never was a planet in the first place xD

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I would say yes except that I don't think it was possible for me to have gotten more excited. I've been hyping on this so hard since I first heard about it.

Pikachu19

Aspiring Trainer
I legitimately come to this thread everyday just to see if there is an update, so I guess that explains how I feel about the reboot. XD;
I can't wait. haha

Teal

黄前さん らしい ね
Mitja said:
Teal said:
Well Pluto was a planet when Sailor Moon was being drawn. :p
But it's not like pluto changed...our knowledge improved ;D

If we continued considering Pluto a planet, then we would also have to consider Ceres, Vesta and a big bunch of other similar bodies in the solar system...we just didn't discover them back then yet, to figure that counting those as planets really stretches the term out of what it was supposed to mean.

So the term planet was given a proper definition and by that Pluto simply isn't one of them. So in a way it never was a planet in the first place xD
I didn't say Pluto changed. .-. I know you don't say I say so but it's still annoying to get such a reply.
Axell Starr said:
So, who else here is more excited about the reboot after seeing the trailer? I know I am.
It actually killed my interest. The character designs are horrible. They should have updated the designs for modern viewers... The original anime designs are so much better than these (which are modeled more after the manga).

It doesn't need to be
sailor_moon__k_on_style__by_3d4d-d5j8xjy.jpg

K-ON (that would be horrible), but seriously?
A little moe wouldn't have killed anyone, right?

Why not
tumblr_mv3g85DB2w1qkqgkeo1_500.jpg

or
tumblr_mvztr4gcy71qgg71do2_r1_500.jpg

or
28573-cf7c0675df9d37ee4c6b7f3c88a33bc8.jpg

I'll be watching this. The two anime remakes that follow the original manga closely that I've seen--JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 2012 and Hunter x Hunter 2011--have been nothing short of stellar. As with those two, this will be my first time experiencing the story, so I'm looking forward to it.

I agree, the character designs are kind of dull. It looks like the 90's art style and a modern art style had a child with neither the charm of the former nor the looks of the latter. I get that whichever studio is doing this was dealt a difficult hand, because if they modernized it they'd anger fans of the original and if they went full 90's they'd alienate new audiences, but the result of compromising both just looks uninteresting.

I suspect that I'll get used to it soon enough, but it's still mildly annoying for now.

IggyS

Onward to Hoenn
Is it weird that I'm a 23 year old man and I'm so happy sailor moon is coming back? I've been binge watching the original on hulu subbed...love it. I usually crack a cold pop (that's a 4kids dub right there) and watch it after working third shift.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Update!

In addition to NicoNico, anime streaming site Crunchyroll will also be offering Sailor Moon streams to both free and premium members in the USA and some other participating countries. More details can be found in their announcement article.

NOTE: For users who do not live in countries that Crunchyroll supports (like me), NicoNico's streaming service is available worldwide.

---

Also, there's now a translation available of an article about Sailor Moon Crystal from a Japanese anime magazine. It contains an interview with the director and the character designer. Something interesting that's mentioned a few times is how the show is aiming to please an audience of "women" (late 20s age is specifically mentioned), so we can expect a more mature feel for the show as opposed to the original version.

Pikachu19

Aspiring Trainer
I love the direction they're going with it! I love how the priority is to cater to the generation it started with.
I have such high hopes for this anime! I hope they do a good job and that it does well enough to continue and finish the whole series!

Patriots Fan

Collector
I don't remember much about it (probably cuz I'd secretly watch it whenever my parents weren't around lol), but I do remember it was pretty cool. Looking forward to watching this series.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I've got another trailer for you guys, too! :D It's basically the same as the earlier trailer, the biggest difference is that is that it uses actual BGM from the show instead of the OP as the music. I love the operatic quality of the music; makes it sound very epic!

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/eUiewJt80eQ[/video]

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
NicoNico's English language page for Sailor Moon Crystal is now live! You can see it here. Episodes with English subtitles will be available on this page starting on Saturday July 5th at 7pm in Japan time, so it may be a good idea to bookmark this page if you're planning on using NicoNico's service.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
Here's the Transformation Sequences between the Original series and the Reboot -

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1xXXfvBPc0[/video]

IMO this is the worst use of CGI in an Anime series since Dragonball Z: Battle of Gods. No offense to anyone but I prefer the Original since
it was much more fluid however I think the transformation sequence in the Reboot would've been much better off without the CGI.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
Card Slinger J said:
Here's the Transformation Sequences between the Original series and the Reboot -

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1xXXfvBPc0[/video]

IMO this is the worst use of CGI in an Anime series since Dragonball Z: Battle of Gods.

Nostalgia and CGI aside, the new one is worse because it takes more time (oh those twists and hair flowing -_-) and the music is...I can't even describe, it seems almost inexistent with horrible strong vocals appearing a couple of times.
Going backo to the CGI...yeah, I prefer the original one without CGI and the old one still gives me goosebumps!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Gratuitous GCI Power, Make up!

Yeah, I was linked to this earlier and kind of sniggered a bit. At least it's likely that this full, long transformation will only be shown a handful of times at best, the first transformation and then maybe another time or two for effect and/or to draw out an episode. Even in the original show they rarely showed the full transformation sequence, so I have high hopes.

Pikachu19

Aspiring Trainer
The music so far has been a tad disappointing so far... lol ( First the theme song, now the transformation music)
It's just that the first anime set the bar so high! I'm really trying to put my nostalgia but it's not working. XD;

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I do agree that the transformation and opening scene songs aren't as great as I was hoping for, but I do love the BGM track(s) that we've gotten, so at least there's something.

2 more days, woo~

Pikachu19

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah! I'm just nitpicking because I loved the original so much. It's one of my favorites... if not THE favorite. XD;

I found a link for the official opening! It's sort of reignited my excitement for the show!
The opening is very nice! The only thing I didn't like (that I'm already getting over) is the original song's absence! haha
The new song does sound a lot better to me now that it's been played from the start so thats good.
I'm a little slow with computer stuff so I don't know how to play the video here in the forum, but I can post a link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnI-w8gHHVM

On second thought some of you may have already seen this, so.... yeah... my bad. haha
BUT INCASE YOU HAVENT FEEL FREE TO FANGIRL SQUEAL WITH ME! :'DDD

Edit: I also have the ending! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqIcPMKHiak

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
A recently released article in the Japan Times has peaked my interest a bit further. Here's the passage I'm most intrigued about:

The reboot will indeed follow the story and mood of Takeuchi’s manga, and include scenes that the author wasn’t able to use the first time around because of page limits and editing decisions, likely making “Crystal” the most authentic representation of the Sailor Moon story to date.

Emphasis mine. I really wonder what new things we'll be seeing in Crystal! As a writer myself, I can understand how easy it is to create new parts of a world that sadly never make it into production, so I can't wait to see what unfolds!

The rest of the article is mostly recaps of previously-known information, but you can read it here if you wish.

Riraito

BELIEVE in me Molly!
I just watched the first episode and I have no idea if I should be happy with this remake, because I've not seen the original. I did like the original transformation better, bad CGI is bad.

I do know I could say about 80% of the lines Usagi said, because those lines are so over used I can say them in my dreams. Also, her voice is annoying. But maybe I'll get used to it. I'll just keep watching, I have no idea if I like it or not.