Sailor Moon Crystal

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member

Usagi Tsukino is a second-year middle school girl who is a little clumsy and a crybaby, but she is full of energy. One day, she meets Luna, a black cat with a crescent moon on her forehead, and she transforms into Sailor Moon, a sailor-uniformed pretty guardian of love and justice! As a chosen guardian of justice, Usagi seems to have a mission to find the Illusionary Silver Crystal with the other guardians and to protect the princess.

Meanwhile, the queen of the Dark Kingdom, Queen Beryl, also sends minions to the town where Usagi lives to obtain the Illusionary Silver Crystal, which has immense power. This causes strange events to unfold….

Can Sailor Moon really find the Illusionary Silver Crystal with the other Sailor guardians, and protect the princess…!?

EcNgeOK.png

Sailor Moon Crystal is a reboot of the popular Sailor Moon manga into a brand-new anime. Unlike the original anime which often deviated from the manga and added a significant amount of additional material, Crystal aims to stay truer to the manga in terms of plot and art style, bringing Sailor Moon to a new audience.

The original Sailor Moon manga was written by Naoko Takeuchi and started in 1992, which the anime series beginning shortly after. The manga ran for 5 years in 5 story arcs, each of which was represented by its own anime season. In addition to the anime, Sailor Moon also inspired a series of stage musicals, a live-action television series, and several video games (including an RPG on the SNES with its own unique storyline that was actually very good).

Internationally, Sailor Moon was translated into many languages, both the manga and the anime. It was one of the first "shoujo" shows to really do well on an international market and was a gateway for many girls and boys of the '90s into anime, manga, and Japanese culture, similar to Dragon Ball Z.

Sailor Moon Crystal is part of the 20th anniversary celebration for Sailor Moon, which started back in 2012 with new showings of the musical and a re-release of the manga. The new anime has been teased to fans since then, but only recently has concrete information been shown. It will be released worldwide starting in July 2014 through the Niconico streaming service. The Anime News Network article has a list of the production staff currently known for the project.

Please discuss! Is anyone here as excited for this as I am? :)

Me too! No one's really quite sure exactly how they'll be interpreting the story, but it will likely be shorter and less bogged down with filler.

Wait, since they will do true manga. Tuxedo Kamen won't trow any roses and will be cool instead of lame!!! HUUURRAAYY!!

Well, I only saw the anime and even then, while nice, wasn't something that I loved as much as Pokémon. I wouldn't mind seeing this new version, not only to "compare" (I really can't since I don't remember all that much) but mostly to simply enjoy it.
My reasons for not disliking the first anime was that the Portuguese voice actor of ?? (I don't even know or remember the name of the main character... Luna? Or was this one of the cats?) had a really pitched irritating voice, her love interest's name had a name (Portuguese one) that I don't like and most of all, I was really confused when a certain Sailor was introduced since I couldn't understand if it was a he or she (back then I didn't knew there were LGBT; some years ago I went looking and it seems it is a she who tends to like girls but I'm not even sure of what i've read and memories since from what I've read, in some contries the dubbing was changed).

Either way, for those who are really fans, I hope that you get a nice show!

Usagi/Serena was the name of the main character. She had a pretty annoying voice in the original English dub, too. :p Of course, this was the 90 so almost all dubbing was terrible; the Japanese voices are really much better.

Canonically, all of the Sailor Senshi are female, though Uranus and Neptune are lesbians and some people think Uranus is somewhat butch-ish and therefore more masculine. This is probably the one you're thinking of, especially since she was shown in the anime as wearing traditionally male clothing.

The Sailor Starlights from the very last season, StarS, are depicted as women when transformed and men when civilians, but this is only in the anime (and the creator even disliked that particular change). However, I'm not even sure if this series would have been shown in Portugal; it was never licensed in English, though I do know some other countries aside from Japan showed it.

Of course, I can't blame you for not being interested. :p But if you were entertained by the original at least somewhat, it might be worth checking out the new one to see what you think. :D I, personally, always loved the original manga much more than the show, as I think it's a better storyline and much more interesting, so it might be worth your time to at least give it a try.

Athena said:
Usagi/Serena was the name of the main character. She had a pretty annoying voice in the original English dub, too. :p Of course, this was the 90 so almost all dubbing was terrible; the Japanese voices are really much better.

Canonically, all of the Sailor Senshi are female, though Uranus and Neptune are lesbians and some people think Uranus is somewhat butch-ish and therefore more masculine. This is probably the one you're thinking of, especially since she was shown in the anime as wearing traditionally male clothing.

The Sailor Starlights from the very last season, StarS, are depicted as women when transformed and men when civilians, but this is only in the anime (and the creator even disliked that particular change). However, I'm not even sure if this series would have been shown in Portugal; it was never licensed in English, though I do know some other countries aside from Japan showed it.

Of course, I can't blame you for not being interested. :p But if you were entertained by the original at least somewhat, it might be worth checking out the new one to see what you think. :D I, personally, always loved the original manga much more than the show, as I think it's a better storyline and much more interesting, so it might be worth your time to at least give it a try.

Hum, I think they gave her a Portuguese name because, while not remembering which one, I know it wasn't Serena. I can't blame all the dubbing because Mars (I remember her for being the hot-headed and the one taking care of the temple and with those amazing spell charms) had a great voice and I also liked Jupiter (it was my favorite since it didn't had that striking beauty like Venus but it had beauty nevertheless and because she wore green :p ).

Wasn't Uranus, along with another Sailor that hanged around or were protecting that smaller Sailor that was (at first I think) very frightning and morbid (well, I think those three were all kind of frightening at least when introduced).
Neptune was lesbian? The one with the funky blue googles whose attack was bubbles? I didn't noticed it! O.O (I really have to go watch the old series when I have the time).

I might be wrong and perhaps mixing memories of when I was a child with the information I went looking some years ago but, now that you've mentioned I think seeing those last Sailors because the memories I have of them (again, could be mixed up) is of only seeing a few times in an age where I wouldn't pay attention to it because the airing wasn't always straightfoward.

It's not that I'm not interest at all. Back then I was more interested in Samurai X (both were shown in the same show) and when I can't like the main characters like it was the case, I just don't get hooked up. Even so, when I have the time I'll look for it (and keep following this thread!) and, like I've said, I hope that those like you that like the manga and are really excited for this, enjoy it.

Leaf_Ranger said:
Hum, I think they gave her a Portuguese name because, while not remembering which one, I know it wasn't Serena. I can't blame all the dubbing because Mars (I remember her for being the hot-headed and the one taking care of the temple and with those amazing spell charms) had a great voice and I also liked Jupiter (it was my favorite since it didn't had that striking beauty like Venus but it had beauty nevertheless and because she wore green :p ).

They often changed the dubbed names for other languages, so she probably had a Portuguese name, too, but I wouldn't know it. :p Luna was the cat, though. :D

I always loved Sailor Jupiter of the original inner senshi, too. <3 She's still one of my favourites; Pluto being the other.

Wasn't Uranus, along with another Sailor that hanged around or were protecting that smaller Sailor that was (at first I think) very frightning and morbid (well, I think those three were all kind of frightening at least when introduced).

Sailors Uranus and Neptune were the ones taking care of the "smaller" senshi, Sailor Saturn, yes. :D Sailor Saturn basically wielded dark powers of destruction, so she was definitely on the creepy side. :p

Neptune was lesbian? The one with the funky blue googles whose attack was bubbles? I didn't noticed it! O.O (I really have to go watch the old series when I have the time).

That's Sailor Mercury you're describing. Neptune was the one with teal hair and the mirror; she and Uranus often hang together, and they are canonically lovers. :)

Athena said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

They often changed the dubbed names for other languages, so she probably had a Portuguese name, too, but I wouldn't know it. :p Luna was the cat, though. :D

I always loved Sailor Jupiter of the original inner senshi, too. <3 She's still one of my favourites; Pluto being the other.

Sailors Uranus and Neptune were the ones taking care of the "smaller" senshi, Sailor Saturn, yes. :D Sailor Saturn basically wielded dark powers of destruction, so she was definitely on the creepy side. :p

That's Sailor Mercury you're describing. Neptune was the one with teal hair and the mirror; she and Uranus often hang together, and they are canonically lovers. :)

Oh sweet Arceus, I went looking and the name they gave Serena isn't even Portuguese: "Bunny Tsukino". BUNNY!? Oh my...*facepalm* No wonder I didn't liked the character.

Crap, I can't remember Pluto! I can remember the sinister trio but not Pluto. I checked Google for images of all of them and found one that I had back when searching for information where they're all dressed nicely. I usually like everything related to Pluto since it's the roman god of the Underworld so it's a shame I can't remember. After seeing her now, I have even more reasons to like her since she has dark green hair.

After so many years I still am confused since Neptune is the ruler of seas and Mercury is using bubbles. Thanks for the info.

In Japanese, the planet Mercury is called "Suisei" and the first kanji for "sui" is also the same kanji for "mizu" which means water, therefore Sailor Mercury uses a water element. :D There are actually a lot of cool facts like that if you dig around; I learned a lot of Japanese mythology from things in Sailor Moon. :)

I was pluto. I mean, I used to want to be her. Too bad shr not actually a planet.

It is reversed, dubber usually awesome back to my childhood era, and getting worse nowday. I love old anime and their awesome voices!!

It's a shame, but they didn't even show this here..

Also, Usagi? That means rabbit, right? Interesting name :p

Wah, thanks for reminding me, but yes, Usagi means Rabbit in Japanese, which would explain the name "Bunny" that she got in the Portuguese dub. :D She was also called "Bunny" instead of Serena in the first English manga translations. Rabbits have an association with the moon in many East Asian cultures, originally due to the belief that the dark/light spots on the moon look like a rabbit (similar to the "man in the moon" of Western cultures), and Sailor Moon's Japanese names literally translates to "Rabbit of the Moon".

I think I might need to watch this, it seems like I missed out on something really big. I'm glad we at least got Pokémon, but no Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Inuyasha or any older anime. I can never get myself to watch these anime though, I'm so picky about art >.<

The original Sailor Moon anime *definitely* shows it's 90s roots, but I have high hopes for the new series based on what's been said, what we've seen so far, and the people involved. None of the other shows you listed are worth your time anyway. :p

As far as how big Sailor Moon is, well, I can't really judge from an outsiders perspective. It was HUGE to me and a lot of my friends at the time, but even now most of the people I know who are fans fit into my demographic: white, American female in her late-20s, and this was very prevalent throughout my time in various anime conventions and scenes. Of course, there are exceptions; just look at this thread. :D I actually think it's really cool how much Sailor Moon has spread around the globe. I hope this will continue with the release of the new series.

(does Naruto count as an old show now? I feel really old all of a sudden....)

Hehe, Naruto is from before 2000 I think, that counts as old for me xD

I'll definately watch it when it airs, but I really wish they'd aired the old version here too so I could have that nostalgic feeling.

You could always watch the original on Youtube or whatever, though I imagine it wouldn't be quite the same. :p

Athena said:
Wah, thanks for reminding me, but yes, Usagi means Rabbit in Japanese, which would explain the name "Bunny" that she got in the Portuguese dub. :D She was also called "Bunny" instead of Serena in the first English manga translations. Rabbits have an association with the moon in many East Asian cultures, originally due to the belief that the dark/light spots on the moon look like a rabbit (similar to the "man in the moon" of Western cultures), and Sailor Moon's Japanese names literally translates to "Rabbit of the Moon".

That at least makes me less pissed off about the name. :rolleyes:

(Naruto is from 2000? WTH? I've only started seeing promos about it from 2007 and games being made since 08/09 if I'm not mistaken. Is there a new version of it or it's another case of things getting late here in Portugal?

Edit (after going to wikipedia): yeah, the Naruto I was talking about is a recent one (it seemed like that way judging by the art style)
The manga was later adapted into an anime, which was produced by Studio Pierrot and Aniplex. It premiered across Japan on the terrestrial TV Tokyo and other TX Network stations on October 3, 2002. The first series lasted 220 episodes, while Naruto: Shippuden, a sequel to the original series, has been airing since February 15, 2007. In addition to the anime series, Studio Pierrot has developed eight movies for the series and several original video animations (OVAs). Other types of merchandise include light novels, video games and trading cards developed by several companies.

Back