Sailor Moon Crystal

It was a shame that the original English Dub for Sailor Moon got cancelled on CN's Toonami block due to low ratings compared to other popular Anime at the time like Dragonball Z which I used to watch religiously as a teenager in my late teens as this was also during the golden age of 4Kids with Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! after Disney Afternoon got axed no thanks to The Mighty Ducks.

The Sailor Moon dub was never cancelled; all of the first 4 seasons of Sailor Moon (original, S, S, and SuperS) were translated into English by Cloverway and shown on TV. Only the 5th season (StarS) was never shown, and that was because it was never licensed. Although official reasons for the lack of licensing were never made public, it was long believed by Sailor Moon fans to be because of the transexualism present in the 5th season. Considering that even something as innocent and Michiru and Haruka's lesbian relationship was censored in the dub (they became cousins instead), it was thought that Toei/Cloverway couldn't think of a "safe" way to interpret the Sailor Starlights, and because they were such an integral part of that season, they just never brought it over to begin with.

Amazing how in the 21st century there's still so much censorship. :rolleyes:
At least the internet is here to mitigate that! :)

Athena said:
Considering that even something as innocent and Michiru and Haruka's lesbian relationship was censored in the dub (they became cousins instead), it was thought that Toei/Cloverway couldn't think of a "safe" way to interpret the Sailor Starlights, and because they were such an integral part of that season, they just never brought it over to begin with.

Oh, how the lesbian cousins in the english dub confused me when I was 7. Now, I just laugh that they failed at censoring it.

Note: 'lesbian cousins" is a joke.

I'm so excited for this! Sailor Moon had a significant effect on my television upbringing!
I've never read the manga unfortunately, but I always hoped they'd make a version that was more related to it.
I remember having to research everything online about specific characters aswell as other events that went on in the story.
Like the Shitennou, and how the were Darian/Momoru's advisors in the past life, before being corrupted by Metalia.
Speaking of Melatia, the dub kind of confused me with that whole "negaverse" bit. Especially how they carried it into Sailor Moon R.
I remember being like " Wait... didn't Sailor Moon get rid of those guys and the big black evil face in the sky or..."
And just as they did with Endymion's guardians, they did the same with Sailor MiniMoon and her court. Granted it didn't take away much from the quartet, but I was pretty bummed when I found out they were supposed to be Sailor MiniMoon's future guardians through the manga and not the anime.
Another things that annoyed me the most was how Sailor Moon was the only soldier to achieve her eternal form. I would've loved to have seen that!
And I had to read up on information about who Sailor Cosmos was, aswell as other things that I was confused or annoyed about.

That being said, I still appreciated and LOVED the anime. I just hope I can love this version just as much as the original, and I'm happy Takenuchi is finally able to have more control in the development of her brilliant series.

Some new news has been released! There was a live stream in Japan that showed some new information about the show, including voice acting and character designs. Miss Dream has a fansub available of the show, and also English translations of the character sheets. I haven't gotten a chance to see the full subbed show yet, but the character designs are very promising; a nice meld between the manga stylization and anime designs. Getting so excited for this. :)

I'm kind of divided regarding their faces...while I welcome a new style I'd prefer the "tough" looking faces from the original, namely Jupiter's and Mars'. Serena is the only one I like. =S

I liked the image where their faces where all side by side, rather than those character sheets.
It isn't one of my favorite series and yet every time I see an image I get goosebumps...I'm in for this.
Oh, I like the broadcasting plans since I tend to enjoy better those series which gives us the time needed to again miss it. I've seen some anime on youtube, all episodes in a row, and after that I can't then remember watching them.

On one hand, I hate waiting for new episodes and I tend to forget a lot of details if I watch shows as they play (I have a very bad memory...), with one episode every week or so. On the other hand, I always feel more connected to characters when I watch shows in this way, I guess since they have more time to seep into my brain and have an impact on me. Since I already know the story very well, I guess the detail-remembering doesn't matter as much. :D

I think this should be kind of interesting. I remember watching the first two seasons before school with my sister. Then I had to wait years for Cartoon Network to show the other seasons. I was young enough not to realize that Nepture and Uranus were together, my first exposure to lesbian relationships was Willow and Tara on Buffy, though when I rewatched the series on Youtube it was obvious despite the attempt at censorship. This was really the only other anime I watched aside from Pokemon, and I even remember writing a Sailor Moon/Pokemon crossover about the time of Pokemon 2000.

Here's hoping they do it right though, it doesn't always work out that way. The reboot of Ninja Turtles that was done some years ago was okay but not really that good. Thankfully (at least in my opinion) the new one from Nickelodeon is better.

Athena, I bet Elsa has an Articuno in that pokeball. :)

Eeek! I'm soo excited! I hope this anime does well enough to reboot the entire series. I've never read the manga, so in a sense this is a new anime for me! I can't wait. I hope the world watches it! lol

I've looked at the trailer Card Slinger just put up several times now. The animation that we get to see in the few clips looks amazing and the art looks rather close to that of the manga. As well, let me just say: The hype is real

The hype doesn't stop there folks, Viz Media just recently acquired the original Sailor Moon Anime series completely remastered in HD on Hulu and Hulu Plus and they'll also be doing the English Dub for Sailor Moon Crystal as well:
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWPyM9afQ-w[/video]
I also heard rumors that the Viz Media Dub for Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon Crystal is supposed to air on CN's Toonami block on Adult Swim.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssss Sailor Moon Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssss I'm so excited for you! I can finally watch Sailor Stars in dub! Don't get me wrong the subtitles are fine, but sometimes I'd rather listen and watch without having to read!
Pretty lazy of me I know. n.n

And I love the preview for the new series. I'm excited and I can't wait for the premiere date next month!

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ft3viBgtQ[/video]

The theme song seems so generic, but hopefully the background music will be just as good as the original series. I love the Sailor Moon OSTs.

Yes! I hope they honor the original version in that aspect at least.
I was so happy when the dub kept the original's background music, it gave the show a more mature and respectable vibe.

The outer senshi's transformation music >>>>

Another interesting thing to point out about the upcoming remade Viz dub is that they will be changing a lot of the "questionable" localization changes. All of the characters will retain their original Japanese names; Haruka (Uranus) and Michiru (Neptune) will no longer be kissing cousins.

I'm also looking forward to the music a lot. I used to have tonnes of old CDs of Sailor Moon music, most of them imported from Japan, though I had some of the dub CDs as well. I'm reserving judgment on the OP song of the trailer for now, but I can't wait to hear the rest of the songs, specifically background music and any image songs they release (those were always my favourite).

I would've liked it better If Viz Media kept the English names from the original dub while still making Uranus and Neptune lesbians instead of cousins since it would make it easier for fans who watched the dub on Toonami relate to it more, that being said I'm glad they're doing away with the PSA segments from the original dub. You ought to go watch Nostalgia Critic's review of Sailor Moon it's pretty hilarious.

When Dragonball Z got redubbed by FUNimation they didn't change the English names from the Ocean/Pioneer dub so I expected Viz Media to have done the same with Sailor Moon. On the bright side Dragonball Z: Battle of Gods is getting a theatrical release this August here in the States but it's a limited time only ordeal unfortunately, having already seen the Sub for it I don't plan on seeing it again since the CGI ruined it for me.

Back