Writing Round-Robin Contest II (Congratulations, Unique Username!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Incinermyn

roundrobin.png

Round-Robin Story Competition: Continuation

Rules for Entry and Participation (Please read completely)

1.) Signups for this contest begin as soon as this thread is revealed, and are open to everyone except the winning of the previous round (The Fallen One). Participants need only post here stating they’ll enter and will be signed up. Please note that the cap for each round is twelve entries, and no more will be taken after all slots are filled. Entrants can drop out at any time, and their slots may reopen but only if a due date hasn’t been set.

2.) To compete, participants are to write passages between 500 to 1,000 words in length that continue the storyline established by the winning piece from the last round. Continuations can be written any way that new writers see fit, but should ideally be consistent with the previous segment.

3.) There isn’t an immediate deadline for submissions; however, it’s still expected that contestants turn their works in to me via PM in a timely manner. When I’ve received four entries, the deadline will automatically be set for the following Wednesday (or, if necessary, the one after it) at 3:00 PM Central Standard Time.

4.) Once the deadline passes (or all submissions are collected), they’ll be randomized and posted here anonymously for public reading and the voting phase. Voting will be open to all members of PokéBeach, and be conducted in the form of a private ballot that must be submitted to me via PM. This PM only needs to include a vote for whichever entry is your favorite (Do not vote for more than one or it won’t be counted). Entrants who sumbitted works are required to submit votes; however, they won’t be permitted to vote for their own since I’m the only one who will know which entry belongs to who. Likewise, commentaries made by contestants on any entries won’t be permitted during the voting period to avoid accidental revealing or hinting of whom wrote what. Voting will run for about one week, so people have time to read through every entry.

5.) After voting is finished, the results will be posted along with the identities of the writers. The winner will be the person with the highest points value, and be asked not to participate next round as mentioned.

As a reminder, this contest is slated to run for about five rounds before starting over, though I have given some thought to extending that timescale if anyone thinks it should be. If you want it to be longer, let me know via PM or profile message.

Good luck and Godspeed, writers!

The Story So Far...
Darkness has fallen on the world. Men, women, and children rest gently in dreams that will not be remembered when morning comes. Crickets brazenly chirp as the wind softly whispers through the trees. A rodent squeals in the night before being stifled by the owl that hunts it. As the moon rises and midnight approaches, everything slows to a quiet. There is a sense of serenity to it all, a peaceful and picturesque scene.

That is, until It awakens.

A creature of shadow, it stalks the night when all are unaware of its presence. Those who know it dare not name it. It is Eldest, none remember when it began. It slides through the night, not making a sound to break the silence. The moon is full, but no light reflects off of the rough and torn scales on its black skin. The urge to kill rises as it sees a quaint house in the fields. As it approaches it hears the quiet murmurs of sleep emanating from those who dwell within. Its mouth opens into what may have once been a smile, showing a myriad of broken teeth, still razor sharp. Deftly it slithers over to the door. Seeing that the door is old and rusting over, it spits in disgust and glides over to the nearest window. It raises a clawed hand to the glass and slowly traces a circle with one of its fingers. The hunter presses softly on one of the sides of the circle and it turns with a soft screech, leaving an opening. It hesitates, not breathing for fear that it has been discovered. One of the men in the house turns over in his bed, snoring loudly. The creature sneers widely as it removes the glass circle from the rest of the window and sets it gently in the grass. Clearly the fools within have lived a peaceful life, no fear of being hunted as many creatures are in the night. How long had this creature been asleep that none remembered to fear it?

The creature straightens itself out and lets the many spines on its back and tail lie flat. Compacting itself, it launches itself through the hole, neatly fitting through. Its claws extend and it catches itself on the wooden floor with little sound. The wood creaks slightly as it steps forward and it curses itself. Clearly it had been a long time since it had hunted in this manner. It slides across the floor, its red eyes reflecting little light, but nevertheless holding an intense and piercing gaze. The door swings open as it leaps into the bedroom, no longer needing its stealth. Its prey realizes they are not alone. Their eyes flutter open in horror as it descends upon them. Not even given a chance to scream, they die swiftly and silently. The hunter seems to smile again, and it lets itself make sound once again. Its breath is ragged and uneven, and steam emanates from its mouth every time it exhales. No longer does it need to be silent.

Once it has finished with its new found meal, it slithers up onto the roof. It rears up onto its hind legs, spines uncurling from its back and tail again, and spreading its arms wide it lets forth a piercing, eerie blood cry. Birds scatter from the trees, and animals tear through the brush, trying to flee from the source of the sound. The creature’s mouth breaks open into a hideous grin as it relishes in its return. Soon all would learn to fear the night. Its hunger could never be satiated long ago. It has wakened from an age-old sleep.

The hunt now begins.

Participant List
1.) Unique Username
2.) Dark Void
3.) Lucky Fire

The mysterious creature looked like a large, greenish-brown lizard with red eyes. With its extended claws, it walked slowly to a nearby house and hissed. The lizard was one of the Legendary Eldest. It wanted to destroy all light and hope. However, the lizard had slept for so long, it couldn't remember what it wanted. The lizard confusingly looked around.

However, the lizard was hungry. It quietly crept into the house. There was nobody there but a whimpering dog, who had been frightened by the lizard. With all his courage, he walked up to the lizard.

"Beast, please spare me, for you are a predator. Instead, I will aid you in the search for food. I can also help you hunt," the frightened dog begged.

The lizard confusedly looked at the dog. The lizard growled, then hissed. It nodded its head. The dog barked in excitement, and ran off with the beast. The beast stomped away from the house, unaware of the danger that lurked beyond the outlines of the house's yard.

Darkness was falling. The mysterious creature and the dog ran to a deer that had fainted while the beast was roaring. The lizard finished eating its meal, then walked until they stopped at a lake.

Only it wasn't a lake.

The twosome started to drink the water, but they vanished.

A person who was watching gasped in shock. Slowly, this human walked to the lake and drank the water. But he didn't vanish. So the human drank the water again.

But he vanished. He was never seen again. Not even in heaven. Nobody saw him again.

Meanwhile, the lizard and the dog were trapped in a crystal chamber. The lizard looked at the crystals. They seemed to be shaped in a pattern. They seemed to shine, as if aware of the lizard's knowledge. The Eldest knew many things. This pattern looked somewhat famliar, although the lizard couldn't say where it came from. The lizard was in a cloud of thoughts. What is it? Where did it come from?

Yes, the lizard didn't remember the pattern or what it meant. It only knew that it was a message. A message to the Eldest. It had been important for the Legendary Eldest to send a message. The world would be in big trouble if the Eldest didn't respond soon.

The Eldest knew it had to do something. So it breathed fire on the crystals. The crystals began to shake.

Until the monster came.

It came roaring, with its green eyes focused on the Eldest. It pressed its huge and green claws. The beast was a evil, black tiger much larger than the lizard. The lizard and the dog stared in horror as the beast came closer. The dog blinked, and fell over, dead from fright.

It had been too late. The fate of the world would come to a end. Not afraid to fight back, the Eldest breathed hot, blazing, red fire at the tiger. Suddenly, the tiger disappeared. Its black fur had made it hard to spot in the darkness. However, the blazing fire caught fire of its fur. The tiger screeched, and its claws dug into the Eldest's scales. The lizard roared and escaped into a exit. The tiger looked around. The Eldest was gone.

The lizard couldn't see in the pitch-black darkness of the tunnel. It was very damp and mossy. The Eldest wasn't used to this. Suddenly, with one step, the lizard couldn't touch the ground anymore. The Eldest roared as it fell. The roar echoed across the darkness.

2.)
The creature continued to perch on the roof, its jaundiced claws easily sinking into the soft cedar wood. Its macabre shadow pervaded the lustrous arc of the moon, the pearl sphere fractured by a phalanx of scabrous scales and notched barbs. The tips of its obsidian quills blended seamlessly against the twilight sky, its silhouette perfectly camouflaged amidst the midnight tapestry. The creature languidly flexed its sable barbs, the angular spikes mimicking withered autumn leaves as a brisk wind caressed its spine. It luxuriated in the splendour of its restitution, ascending its calculating glare beyond the pristine fields of golden wheat.

The merciless predator vigilantly surveyed its domain, its crimson scowl piqued by a city fabricated within the sanctum of a slumbering mountainside. Its silhouette harboured a soft glow, the craggy contours embellished by golden flakes of light. The creature cackled malevolently, slowly prying apart its curtailed jaws. 'What a perfect night for a moonlit slaughter...' it voicelessly purred, delighted by its promising discovery. Insatiable hunger ravaged its stomach with an instinctual urge to devour sweet, succulent flesh. The beast smiled maliciously, hungrily tracing its mauve tongue over its broken fangs. It crouched low on its haunches, adjusting its spines as it feverishly thrummed its talons upon its wooden roost. It precariously balanced on the truss, glimpsing upon the fertile earth as it prepared to conquer the six metre plunge.

A serpentine chain suddenly lashed beyond the midnight veil, swiftly ensnaring the beast by its curved neck. A brusque jerk yanked the creature backwards, its throat constricted by steel vertebrae. The beast released a gurgling snarl, its claws clumsily sliding upon the shingled roof. It hastily glimpsed toward a weather vane, snatching the oxidized ornament with its tail and utilizing its fury to snap the metal shaft. It hurled the compass directly into the void, the device crashing inside a mysterious black mist and vanishing beyond existence. The chain was abruptly abandoned by its wielder, collapsing into a lifeless coiled braid. The demon slowly regained its balance, narrowing its carmine eyes as it glowered into a hollow oblivion. 'There's no one else here...?!'

A crooked blade plunged betwixt its onyx scales, an aquiline thorn protruding out of its chest. The creature relinquished a guttural roar, black blood oozing down its scaly chest like viscous oil. It viciously whirled around and smashed its barbed tail against the vindictive assailant, the unknown entity dissolving into charcoal smoke. Inertia drove its tail into the roof, its jagged prongs embedding into shingles, tar and wood. The beast growled in frustration, wresting its barbs out of the debris. It tenderly clutched its wound as searing anguish gnawed at its vulnerable flesh, billows of painful heat seizing its muscles. Whoever this adversary was, they liked to strike hard – and fast.

A tenebrous mist slithered past its feet, gossamer tendrils licking its ankles like a nightmarish flame. The demon shivered violently, the ghostly vapour like the embodiment of winter. 'A ghost...?' it silently mused, watching the obsidian cloud accumulate. The creature gingerly sniffed a fibril of drifting mist, recognizing its pungent scent. It reeked of death and decay, a copper musk clinging to every particle. 'A vampire...' The beast nervously clacked it talons together, feigning intimidation as it watched the swirling nebula. Ethereal fronds solidified into various appendages, a man emerging beyond the smouldering crests. His pale complexion was accentuated by the moonlight, his sable tresses kissing his statuesque shoulders. His scarlet irises harboured a stoic expression, although his arrogant smirk and glinting fangs betrayed his austerity.

“Who are you...?” The demon inquired with a scrupulous hiss.

“Ivan Faust.” The vampire callously fished out his gun, cocking the hammer with an ominous click. “Your executioner.”

“You cannot win, bloodsucker.” The creature growled, its spines erecting in ire.

“Oh, I beg to differ.” Ivan retorted, tracing a fingertip along his pistol. “Three-hundred years ago, your gluttonous escapade nearly exterminated my species. You greedily devoured everything in your path, and left nothing – not even a single drop of blood. My sire warned me of your untimely awakening. If you are not stopped, you will bring a second famine upon us. You cannot slaughter the townsfolk as you please!”

“Watch me.” The demon defiantly snarled, its malignant tone dripping with a venomous hiss. Without warning, it swiftly slithered down the building and vanished inside a labyrinth of saffron grass. Ivan vehemently leered at the abhorrent reptile, reluctantly storing his weapon inside its leather holster. 'I don't need a gun to take care of you...' Ivan sneered, glimpsing to a rosewood fence post skirting the property entrance. The vampire effortlessly leapt onto the picket, stepping down with reserved elegance and kneeling to the ground. Ivan gently pressed his hand upon the earth, summoning a force unbeknownst to the living. An arcane swarm fervently squirmed within the soil, minuscule scratches trembling beneath his fingertips. Ivan grinned triumphantly, a glistening fang curling over his lip.

“The hunter has now become the hunted...”

3.)
The creature's long tongue snakes out of its mouth and around its lips. It inhales deeply through its mouth and its heat sense kicks in, alerting it to tiny pinpricks of heat that it knows are humans, fast asleep in their beds, oblivious to their imminent doom. The creature smiles maliciously. Come dawn, they would remember true fear, the fear it had lived on for so long.

But first, there is something else it had to do. A score needs settling. Somewhere in the world, its brother would be recovering from his own injuries caused by the climax of their millenia old conflict. Right now, locating its brother before it's brother located it was its utmost concern. Little does the creature know that it is already too late.

With a contraction of his hind leg muscles, the being known only as Mortem launches himself into the air. It whirls around, hearing the rush of wind, and sees its brother, silhouetted against the full moon. Mortem is truly a sight to behold, his wolf-like form extended. His mane of razor-sharp spines ripples down his back like miniature tsunamis crashing down upon a beach. His red eyes perceive only his prey. It rolls to the side as Mortem landed where it had just been, Mortem's golden claws rending the air. “Shall we resume where we left off, Exitium?” He asks, his voice dripping with mockery and poisonous saliva.

“We shall,” Exitium hisses back. Exitium pounces forward, its claws outstretched. Mortem flicks his head to the side in a motion that would have appeared casual if not for the silver claws passing mere millimeters from his nose. Mortem cartwheels forward, his hind legs flipping over his head and grabbing Exitium's hide. Mortem's fore claws pushed against the roof, flinging both creatures into the air and flipping them end over end. When the two creatures land, Mortem remains on top. Exitium kicks upwards with his hind legs, flinging Mortem off of it.

“Your sleep has dulled your fighting ability,” Mortem hisses, taunting Exitium. “I expected better from you. You're no match for me anymore.”

Exitium keeps his rage in check. Mortem always did to try to bait Exitium into leaving himself open. It had barely worked the first time, so why was he trying it now?

Distract Exitium, apparently. Quick as lightning, Mortem launches himself forward, but he fails to catch his sibling off guard. Exitium ducks under his brother's slash and jabs at Mortem's eye with its claw. Exitium feints to the left and launches a right hook followed by a flurry of jabs, but Mortem skillfully bobs and weaves around them all.

The first ray of dull light pokes its head above the horizon. All at once, Mortem and Exitium feel pinpricks of blinding heat signatures rising all over the world. Recognition hits them both in the same instant like a flash. “We shall resume this later,” Mortem hisses. “The Others are awakening.” With that, he leaps off of the building into the receding shadows below and disappears.

Host's Notes: Due to poor turnout, I've made several adjustments to this rounds qualifications that aren't noted in this post. First and foremost, being the few amount of entries and date on which all works were due. The voting procedure remains the same, and all votes are to be submitted to me via PM within a week from today (December 28, 2011, meaning that voting shall end at no earlier than 3:00PM on January 4, 2011).

RE: Round-Robin Contest II (Signups Begin Now!)

I'm bumping this to make sure people see the thread and know that signups are officially open.

Ah, excellent! Count me in, again!

I must admit, writing in present tense would be an exceptional challenge. I want to respect the previous entry, however. Alas, I am riddled by decisions...

In :)

Do we pick which entry we'd like to continue?

It says several times that we are contunuing the one that won last time...anyway, I'd like to sign up.

I'll have to update the OP's participant list the next time I get to my local library since apparently my phone's mobile web won't allow me write more than a total of 6,000 characters per post (as opposed to the 60,000 character limit I recall the forums having for posts otherwise). You're all still signed up, though.

Anyways, yeah, DV57. You're supposed to follow up The Fallen One's entry from last time. I thought I explained that a couple times before when the last round began.

@Apollo

Sorry, I was half asleep when I read through the rules so I was a bit confused, lol.

Good Luck Everyone :)

#stillhalfasleep

This round, no. Next round, yes. The main idea was to prevent doubled-up victories and incorporate better variety. Besides, this first season of the Round-Robin is mostly a trial run. If it continues to go over well, I might bring it back later on down the line or just try to keep it going indefinitely. Also, if the "no-winner-from-last-round" rule seems completely unfair, it may be changed at some point (just not right now since this round has officially started)...

Alright, wanted to make sure. Good luck to all. I'm curious to see how people take this story in the next round...

Imve given it some thought, and decided I actually do want to enter this round too since it isn't proving as popular as last time. I'll update the sign-ups list tomorrow afternoon if I get a chance. Weekends are just bad for me when it comes to making official updates due to my lack of computer-based internet.

I shall enter.
I relish the challenge of a first-person story...

The participant list has been updated FINALLY.

Sorry for the delays, but I keep a real-life note of who's entered anyways so I haven't lost track of who's entered and who hasn't. The recent name changes kind of messed me up since I had to double-check and confirm the two of them so I knew for sure who-was-who. New participants (even those not in the previous round) are still very much welcome to signup and participate in this stage.

Exams are rapidly approaching, on top of a large load of papers that I must complete.
I regret to inform you that I must withdraw my entry. It is possible that I will participate in the next round.
My apologies.

Alright, your slot has been reopened then.

To this point, I still haven't gotten any entries, though.

Updated!

Like I said, I still haven't recieved any entries. I'm hoping for a few more entrants before a deadline actually gets set, but if things draw out too long, I may have to come up with deadline anyways.

Oh, we're allowed to start sending them in? I thought sign-ups had to finish first. Derp.

Better get started then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back