Votes: 23 20.5%
  • Others

Votes: 14 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obsidius said:
Now, since Drapion Lv.X was hyped prior to the release of Platinum, I would have expected people to try out that lock aspect of Drapion with Unown K and Palkia Lv.X. However,since people realized that Dialga/Palkia/SPs were the real gems of the set, everyone began to "Monkey see, Monkey do".

This doesn't mean that Drapion Lv.X completely bad(Bad weakness, High retreat, Low Damage Output, High Attack Cost and 50/50 Poke-power). It does have a solid 130 Hp for a Stage One Lv.X and an regular Drapion with better attacks than its own.:)

I have also seen Drapion at Premier Events and even played a few(It was the same person, but still). What I'm trying to say is, just because its played at a premier event(probably Battle Roads) or used more than a tech, doesn't make it better than it is. I have a feeling that your a Drapion user and has had mild success with it. If so, than more power to you for playing something Rogue in this "Monkey" of a Format.

actually, I've never even owned one, outside of many of the tin X's, I think it's the only one that I've never had...but I've gone against many, the meta here in this area is pretty wide and varied...you would probably like it considering your views on "meta-gamers"...and as for the mild success with Drapion Lv. X...I actually have seen a deck with mild success, and this wasn't a BR, it was a States

but back to the topic at hand...now that I've thought about what you were saying about the Rocket's Persian Ex, yea, something like that can easily refute what I was saying about the Drapion Lv. X...even though they didn't leave Froslass (LA) and Rhyperior Lv. X unplayable...however, that still doesn't change my stance on balance in the metagame after rotation, nor my rotation prediction

I think for sure now it will be PL- on. Someone on here had a good point, Rocket's Persian ex was not able to be played, and it will probally just be that for Drapion. Maybe they'll make some kind of promo for it sometime.

Does anyone actually have any support for a PL on format other than the fact that it's the block after Diamond and Pearl?
Flygon Jedi Master said:
Look at the patterns of the two most recent rotations. Last years rotations eliminated all sets from 2006 along with the first set of 2007, Power Keepers. The rotation before that eliminated all sets from 2005 along with the first set of 2006, Legend Maker. The pattern was suppose to occur this year too with all sets of 2007 being eliminated, along with the first set of 2008, Great Encounters, meaning a Majestic Dawn on format, but that wasn't so due to stuff like Claydol being in past sets, as without Claydol, SP's could easily overrun the format. This is supported by the noticeable difference in the title font from MD to SF compared to the font used for DP to GE. So this year, to once again prevent SP's from completely overrunning the format, all sets from 2008 (along with 2007) should be eliminated along with the first set of 2009, Platinum. This way SP's won't be able to overrun the format completely and other decks will actually have a chance. An RR on format is the most likely IMO.

I do.

Sets are usually legal for 2-2.5 years. This format is an exception. The sets that would have been rotated out that wouldn't have made it through this year normally have been there for 3-3.5 years(this is of course when August rolls around). The other sets would have made it normally and so that dosen't apply to them(GE-SF). Due to this pattern, some sets can only be legal for 1.5 formats. So if they rotate out DP-SF, it makes perfect sense. Platinum is a new block which contains almost all support for the rest of the block, so the rotation can't go any further than Platnium. To keep SF isn't logical because it's been around for a while. Even if rotating SF is illogical, you might as well get rid of it and start from a fresh block. Personally I want LA-on but it's not realistic. So PL-on is the solution.

what if they give us PL-on and the league promos are still usuable? i mean why would they give us those specific cards in the first place? just so we could have shiny versions of them in our decks?

louden14 said:
what if they give us PL-on and the league promos are still usuable? i mean why would they give us those specific cards in the first place? just so we could have shiny versions of them in our decks?

its away of helping kiddies get rare meta-game cards, and they still carry there old set logos, so if they're original set goes they go.
its not like they're POP10 promos, there just those cards made shiny (because being shiny makes them extra special)

If I recall, the Japanese rotated to SV-on? Generally we rotate less often, but do catch up to them.

how do you figure that it is inconsistent, when during the last "actual" rotation, there weren't that many sets rotated, and those were the REMAINING sets of the EX series sets that were still left in the format...care to explain why, during our last "actual" rotation, what was rotated out wasn't a full block of sets, but the remainder of a block? sounds like rotating out a complete block of sets is what would sound inconsistent, given how the game has rotated out sets in the past

Sounds like not rotating at all is what would sound inconsistent, given how the game has rotated out sets in the past

Above sentence makes more sense than anything, and I believe Pokemon changed the way they rotate sets forever with last year's "un"-rotation, so using examples of the formats before it is a weak argument towards an RR-on format.

so far, the argument that I've heard the most is about how a PT-on rotation would make the most sense, and how any other rotation prediction make none...yet, all of this is said with little to no evidence that actually points to reasons as to why and back up how much a PT-on rotation makes more sense, while others do not...c'mon guys, put at least a lil' effort into proving your points

Nothing anybody is saying has any solid evidence, it's all just conjecture and logic. PT-on seems logical to us because it's the first set of a block and it has vital SP support. RR-on seems logical to you because otherwise SPs would be far too powerful and would easily destroy any stage 2 deck (which I disagree with; Spiritomb is fantastic).

Implying that we don't challenge you with any arguments while yours are seemingly infallible is simply a delusion. Whatever happens, happens, and no amount of arguing is going to change that. For now I say we just agree to disagree, because nobody is gaining any ground with the other side.

Look at the patterns of the two most recent rotations. Last years rotations eliminated all sets from 2006 along with the first set of 2007, Power Keepers. The rotation before that eliminated all sets from 2005 along with the first set of 2006, Legend Maker. The pattern was suppose to occur this year too with all sets of 2007 being eliminated, along with the first set of 2008, Great Encounters, meaning a Majestic Dawn on format, but that wasn't so due to stuff like Claydol being in past sets, as without Claydol, SP's could easily overrun the format. This is supported by the noticeable difference in the title font from MD to SF compared to the font used for DP to GE. So this year, to once again prevent SP's from completely overrunning the format, all sets from 2008 (along with 2007) should be eliminated along with the first set of 2009, Platinum. This way SP's won't be able to overrun the format completely and other decks will actually have a chance. An RR on format is the most likely IMO.

Do you actually have a source showing that the reason there was no rotation last year is because of the SPs overrunning the format and Claydol being rotated or are you just conjecturing? Lots of assumptions do not make a very strong argument. Also, saying something as vague as the title font of the sets supports the supposed rotation that never happened is just wishful thinking. I don't see any evidence for your arguments other than what you seem to believe, but supporting your beliefs with other beliefs is a big no-no. It's exactly what those of us arguing for a PT-on format are doing, so you can debate all you want but neither side has sufficient evidence for their beliefs other than their own beliefs, which is a fallacy.

Either side is never going to convince the other that they are correct, for reasons stated above. It is because of this that this topic could literally go on forever (at least until the rotation is announced), and is thus pointless.

Does anybody know when the rotation is typically announced? I think I remember it being in June/July some time, but I could be wrong.

Kittymew said:
If I recall, the Japanese rotated to SV-on? Generally we rotate less often, but do catch up to them.

Again, if anybody is going to state something major like this, could they please provide a source?

festizzio said:
Sounds like not rotating at all is what would sound inconsistent, given how the game has rotated out sets in the past

Above sentence makes more sense than anything, and I believe Pokemon changed the way they rotate sets forever with last year's "un"-rotation, so using examples of the formats before it is a weak argument towards an RR-on format.

if anyting, I would call last year's (non)rotation just a band-aid on a previous year's rotation...the year prior to the DP-on rotation, when it was no longer Deoxys-on, which was a rotation that the Japanese did not have (they didn't rotate until there was enough DP sets to rotate to and still have a good metagame)

the quote you posted and answered to here, was in response to something you were saying about the "mathematical theory" of the amount sets that will be rotated and mentioned something about inconsistency...so I rebutted with figures from previous rotations

festizzio said:
Nothing anybody is saying has any solid evidence, it's all just conjecture and logic. PT-on seems logical to us because it's the first set of a block and it has vital SP support. RR-on seems logical to you because otherwise SPs would be far too powerful and would easily destroy any stage 2 deck (which I disagree with; Spiritomb is fantastic).

of course nobody has solid evidence, because those that would, would have some serious penalties if they were to provide said evidence...but what can be done, which is what this thread is meant for, is to discuss the possible rotation and theories behind that rotation...and yes, Spiritomb is fantastic, but is easily tech'd around, it doesn't take much to move it from the active spot so that you can continue on and use trainers, but yes...it does help

festizzio said:
so far, the argument that I've heard the most is about how a PT-on rotation would make the most sense, and how any other rotation prediction make none...yet, all of this is said with little to no evidence that actually points to reasons as to why and back up how much a PT-on rotation makes more sense, while others do not...c'mon guys, put at least a lil' effort into proving your points

Implying that we don't challenge you with any arguments while yours are seemingly infallible is simply a delusion. Whatever happens, happens, and no amount of arguing is going to change that. For now I say we just agree to disagree, because nobody is gaining any ground with the other side.

whoa...calm down there bud...actually, there wasn't any implification of challenge to begin with...what I was implying, was that so far, there hasn't been much talk of anything to support the PT-on rotation out of people saying it's the beginning of the block...I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything really, except for the fact that I think my rotation prediction has merit...but when someone comes and challenges my prediction, I will state what lead me to make my prediction in detail...and then expect their reason that lead to their prediction (or reason to believe anyone else's prediction) in detail...but just saying because it's the start of the block isn't detail...I'll explain why, later

festizzio said:
Do you actually have a source showing that the reason there was no rotation last year is because of the SPs overrunning the format and Claydol being rotated or are you just conjecturing? Lots of assumptions do not make a very strong argument. Also, saying something as vague as the title font of the sets supports the supposed rotation that never happened is just wishful thinking. I don't see any evidence for your arguments other than what you seem to believe, but supporting your beliefs with other beliefs is a big no-no. It's exactly what those of us arguing for a PT-on format are doing, so you can debate all you want but neither side has sufficient evidence for their beliefs other than their own beliefs, which is a fallacy.

while, I don't exactly agree with his rotation explanation...I do believe that what he was trying to say by the opening statement...is that if all you have as your support for the PT-on rotation, is that it's the beginning of a block...then, it holds little weight...this quote here, is one of the reasons why

and why would it make more sense, just because it's a block? this isn't MTG, the blocks that pokemon has doesn't have the same number of sets within each block...if that was the case, I would probably agree...however, DP had 7 sets...PT had 4...so you're saying that they should rotate 7 sets this year, and then rotate 4 sets the next year...without even knowing how many sets that our current block will have, and how many sets our future block will have...there's no telling how many sets that would leave after the next year's rotation

festizzio said:
Either side is never going to convince the other that they are correct, for reasons stated above. It is because of this that this topic could literally go on forever (at least until the rotation is announced), and is thus pointless.

Does anybody know when the rotation is typically announced? I think I remember it being in June/July some time, but I could be wrong.

if our sets were right in line with the Japanese sets, it would be much easier to call...but being there are no longer two different divisions of The Pokemon Company, and it's all now just TPCi...sources aside, it is known, the business end of the company handles the rotation, and being it's just one company now they want our rotation in line with Japan's...so really it all boils down to whatever they rotate to, so will we

I believe last year's was announced just after Nats...however, Nats was announced much earlier last year, than it was this year...so you might end up having to wait until after Worlds

festizzio said:
Again, if anybody is going to state something major like this, could they please provide a source?

you'd have to get that from a Japanese player or Professor

I'd be sad though if it is LA and up, because then they still havwe Uxie and dumb stuff like Machamp. Though SP pokemon will be really good, I guess.

I sure can't wait until the failures that are Machamp SF and Gengar SF are worth little more than toilet paper, because that is how I've always seen and known them. I really hope it will be PT-on. We lose Uxie, Azelf, Mesprit LA and Claydol too, but oh well, it's not that bad. Now it will be harder to pick what targets to Power Spray. PT-on is an interesting format, with lots of good deck choices, and SP still stands a fair chance against some of them too.
Btw, I don't think any format change caused the player base to shrink/grow. It's not about the possibilities you have at hand, it's the choices you make within the possibilites that makes someone a good player. That's what keeps Pokemon interesting.

Kittymew said:

I havn't read anything about a Japanese rotation. As far as I know they are still on DP-on. It'd be nice if someone could authoritatively confirm or deny this.

ApachePrime said:
I havn't read anything about a Japanese rotation. As far as I know they are still on DP-on. It'd be nice if someone could authoritatively confirm or deny this.

I haven't heard SV-on before. I know there were reports from someone in Japan that many local tournaments over there have begun to play PL-on, though.

masterryanx said:
I haven't heard SV-on before. I know there were reports from someone in Japan that many local tournaments over there have begun to play PL-on, though.

And i've heard RR on a few months backs so i doubt any 'japanese' rotation theory's are right except by chance

I hope it is not RR and on for one thats make SP stupid, no Poke Turns or Energy Gains, and that would be so unright. My bet is on PT up.

pt-on

they cut nothing last year because it would look weird for only half the dps to be cut out. they are going to cut all dp sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back