Votes: 23 20.5%
  • Others

Votes: 14 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
festizzio said:
RR-on makes no sense. They'll essentially KILL a deck-type (SPs) while creating room for stage 2 decks and such to reign supreme. If they're going to do RR-on, they might as well do HGSS-on because SPs will be useless. Also, they are not "too fast" or "too powerful", there are many things stage 2 decks can do to shut them down. Mentioning how they can power spray a claydol and shut down an opponent's strategy is irrelevant, because in this hypothetical (as of now) rotation will see Claydol leaving the format. I also think a lot of people overlook the fact that Cyrus' Conspiracy isn't only good in SP decks; if you run two Crobat Gs you can benefit from the SP engine as well.

Another thing is the fact that Azelf will be leaving, meaning SPs will lose some consistency and will have to start running 2-2 Lv. X lines rather than 3-1 for fear of the Lv. X being prized.

I think PT-on makes the most sense; the Drapion argument is so overused and I don't think it holds any merit. Hardly anybody uses the deck, and I am fairly certain that another Drapion will be released in the next set. (Skorupi came in a recent set, but no Drapion... So if it was RR-on, then what's the deal with the random Skorupi?)

Whats wrong with that? Why shouldnt EVO decks dominate? SP decks have dominated for a while now.

Either way its a trade off.

Drop claydol; EVO decks die.
Drop Platinum; SP decks die.

Either way, somthing gets ruined. So lets have it be SP decks that die.

You know what would be the best thing about a Pl-on rotation? Nobody would have to run Unown G anymore because Machamp would be out.

shadoworganoid said:
^True, but...No one could run unown G anymore cause it would be gone too. :p
That's the joke. 8D And the Drapion thing mentioned in the first post is a good point. Unless they make a new one, then it most likely would be SF-on for the rotation.

peetzaman said:
You know what would be the best thing about a Pl-on rotation? Nobody would have to run Unown G anymore because Machamp would be out.

That is why they made Bench Sheild though. I am hoping for Pl on though I really am. :D

Pokeman said:
That is why they made Bench Sheild though. I am hoping for Pl on though I really am. :D

I would prefer LA-on or SF-on compared to PT-on...that would at least allow for "some" balance in the meta

peetzaman said:
Wait, what does Bench Shield have to do with Machamp?

lol, nothing

peetzaman said:
Wait, what does Bench Shield have to do with Machamp?

No I mean't protection to stuff. Machasmp would just become popular I guess, but that is good ease up on SP's.

Pokeman said:
No I mean't protection to stuff. Machasmp would just become popular I guess, but that is good ease up on SP's.

but if it's a PT-on rotation, there won't be an ease up on SPs, because there would be no Machamp (SF) for them to worry about

I don't know this whole thing seem like a big mess to me. Also as I said before what about the terrible card Drapion Lv. X?

Pokeman said:
I don't know this whole thing seem like a big mess to me. Also as I said before what about the terrible card Drapion Lv. X?

it was about this way last year...except, I think that considering that there was no rotation last year, it will get even more heated this year, especially with so much at stake, with all that is possibly getting rotated out

qnetykz said:
so...it's ok for them to get even more dominate, being that EVO decks lose their draw engines...while they keep their Cyrus engine, which is the most consistent set up there is??? I'm sorry, but losing Cyrus' Conspiracy, Energy Gain, PokeTurn, and Power Spray will not kill SP...all it does is even the playing field...if it's PT-on you might as well not include HGSS sets until the following year, because that is all these lazy, non-creative, unoriginal players are playing now, and that's all they're going to continue to play

You talk about every single EVO deck running Claydol, then proceed to call SP decks unoriginal and non-creative? EVO decks have Spiritomb, possibly one of the most broken support cards for EVO decks I've ever seen, and they keep Rare Candy. Volkner's is a Claydol in supporter form; I don't see the issue. Be creative, stage 2 decks aren't dead. I built a PT-on Crobat Prime deck that gets me a near-guaranteed Crobat Prime turn 1 (or turn 2 if I go first). Think outside the box.

as for you rebuttal to the Drapion arguement...is Skorupi still able to be played? yes, it is...also, rotating last year would have left Rhyperior Lv. X and Froslass (LA) unplayable, but yet, there was no rotation and no card was left unable to be played...why do that now?

You missed the point entirely. Sure, people CAN play Skorupi, but will they? Definitely not. It's terrible. It's exactly the same if there is a Drapion Lv. X with no Drapion, one can put it in their deck(s) but it will have no use. Using past examples doesn't really work, as Pokemon has never been consistent with set rotations; last year's (non-existent) rotation proved that.

EVO decks can benefit from the SP engine???...unless your pokemon base is 80% or more SP, then Cyrus' only helps as much as just adding in a Staraptor FBX...thinking that EVO decks can benefit from the SP engine is utterly preposterous, if you're not really running SP, you're not going to benefit from an SP engine, Crobat G or not...PT-on is the most unbalancing choice out of rotation prediction out there...sure you can slow them down, but if you don't have a means to speed up, due to the draw engine being gone...they are still faster than you...slowing down SPs and then utilizing you draw engine to continue to setup is how SPs aren't as dominate as they could be...if it wasn't for cards like Claydol and Uxie, slowing them down would be nothing more than delaying the inevitable

What good is Claydol or Uxie against SPs if they Spray you 50% or more of the time? It kills your set-up and allows them to run all over you; with both of them gone spray will be near useless, as that's what is sprayed 90% of the time.

Use Cyrus to search ANY supporter, ANY energy, and a possible SP Radar or Poke Turn if running Crobat Gs (which should be run in almost any deck). How can that NOT be run in an EVO deck? And with Spiritomb, it gets even better, as you can hinder their set-up enough and allow yourself quite a bit of breathing room.

when SPs still have cards like SP-Radar, Flint's, and Bertha's...along with Aaron's for recovery...that looks more like evening the playing field than to allow them to just run rampant with even less to fear...no draw engine, no Unown G, no Power Cancel, no Machamp (SF), no Gengar (SF), no Gastly (SF), no BTS, no Azelf (MT), no Mime (MT), no Mewtwo X...looks like alot that was in favor for EVO decks (or made it so that it's not so heavily in favor for SPs) would be leaving the format, therefore tipping the scale even more to SP decks...so it's ok to essentially kill what the game was based off of in EVO decks, but not to kill one of the cheapest mechanics the game has ever seen in SP decks...if anything doesn't make sense, that doesn't make sense

In favor of EVO decks... you mean in favor of Gengar/Machamp, right? That's all you listed, and weren't those the decks that were dominating (quite a bit, Machamp donk is one of the best donks in the game), before SPs came along? They still compete; when I get donked by Machamp, they start with THE hand, they rarely draw into it.

Also, your use of the word "cheapest" is only a description of your inability to combat the SP archetype, like I said, Spiritomb AR and Cyrus' works quite well in EVO decks; maybe YOU should stop relying so much on Claydol and Uxie/Azelf. When you start to rely on powers that much, you're just asking for SPs to walk all over you.

P.S.: it's a good thing that they reprinted Rare Candy...otherwise, after the rotation, what reason would there be to even attempt to play an EVO deck competitively...ohh and allowing EVO decks to reign supreme, wasn't this game built on EVO decks, and after SPs have all rotated out, isn't that's what's going to happen anyway?
Broken Time Space and Spiritomb (Spiritomb especially) have much less weaknesses and are much more searchable than Rare Candy ever was. But, Rare Candy was a given, it's been part of the game in several forms since Base Set (Pokemon Breeder), so I don't think it'll ever go away.

Idk, maybe I'm just hoping that it's PT-on because my current deck would be crippled without it. (It's not SPs, it's Crobat Prime FYI)

Also, I've seen many people say the rotation in Japan has been decided to be RR-on, and one person say it's been decided to be PT-on, but with no sources, valid or not. I even google searched it and could not find a single (even possibly valid) source.

I believe it will be a PT-on, only thing I like about a SF-on is the SF T-Tar. Only thing. SP's are gonna be quite dangerous for a while, but there are plenty of counters to it, you just have to think.

festizzio said:
You talk about every single EVO deck running Claydol, then proceed to call SP decks unoriginal and non-creative? EVO decks have Spiritomb, possibly one of the most broken support cards for EVO decks I've ever seen, and they keep Rare Candy. Volkner's is a Claydol in supporter form; I don't see the issue. Be creative, stage 2 decks aren't dead. I built a PT-on Crobat Prime deck that gets me a near-guaranteed Crobat Prime turn 1 (or turn 2 if I go first). Think outside the box.

ohh, I think very much so outside the box, I think even more than most competitive players...I'm not saying every single deck runs those...and I wasn't referring to SP decks as unoriginal and non-creative, I was referring to players who have done nothing but play decks like that after they have been known to catch wins...and currently with Cyrus engine being the most consistent engine in the format, no matter what SP deck is talked about those players will jump to those decks and try them before they try EVO decks...you are correct, Spiritomb is an extreme help to EVO decks...however, while you are using Spiritomb, you can't really Rare Candy and are somewhat reliant on using it's attack...but using it's attack alone doesn't keep you upto pace with SP decks, you still need the drawing to keep the set up going...true you can use cards like Volkner's, but when you might prefer to search as compared to using your supporter to draw for the turn, that still puts you at a disadvantage to SP decks, because all they have to wait for is either a way to get rid of Spiritomb, go around Spiritomb, or just wait for the KO and then just work what little bit of setup you were able to attain...and right now, Stage 2 decks are not dead, but once the majority of the draw power is gone, among many other counters to SPs...if nothing is done about the SP engine, they will make mincemeat out of nearly any EVO deck, if not every EVO deck...the format will be mainly SPs winning, even more so than it is now

You missed the point entirely. Sure, people CAN play Skorupi, but will they? Definitely not. It's terrible. It's exactly the same if there is a Drapion Lv. X with no Drapion, one can put it in their deck(s) but it will have no use. Using past examples doesn't really work, as Pokemon has never been consistent with set rotations; last year's (non-existent) rotation proved that.

but you can say that about how many cards that are actually playable, but don't get played?...and no it is not the same, if you put Drapion Lv. X in a deck with no Drapion and draw it, it is completely a dead draw...if you put Skorupi into a deck and draw it...you can then play it down, getting it out of your hand and doing whatever with it from that point, therefore having use...and last year's (non)rotation is an attempt to get more in line with the Japanese rotation, at least that is one of the reasons

What good is Claydol or Uxie against SPs if they Spray you 50% or more of the time? It kills your set-up and allows them to run all over you; with both of them gone spray will be near useless, as that's what is sprayed 90% of the time.

that is a big use for Spiritomb...if you're sitting behind, what can they spray, nothing...and Spray will in no way, shape, or form be useless...I've been sprayed many times for something other than Cosmic Power or Set-Up...and with some much less impacting draw powers still being out there, there is still plenty for it to spray

Use Cyrus to search ANY supporter, ANY energy, and a possible SP Radar or Poke Turn if running Crobat Gs (which should be run in almost any deck). How can that NOT be run in an EVO deck? And with Spiritomb, it gets even better, as you can hinder their set-up enough and allow yourself quite a bit of breathing room.

there are tons of EVO decks that do not run Crobat G...how can that not be run in an EVO deck...one word, consistency...the space used for the Crobat G's and the PokeTurns are normally sacrificing consistency for the actual strategy of the deck...in decks like Jumpluff, where they not only assist in adding damage to pokemon, but also assist in the deck strategy...yes, they should be used...not really sure about the Cyrus' though...but in other EVO decks where it's not nearly as helpful, why try to fit all that? I know many players that think they should have Crobat G in their EVO decks, which is one of the reasons why many EVO decks don't make those top cuts...btw, you can't PokeTurn sitting behind Spiritomb, so that kind of defeats the purpose of including Crobat to begin with...as I said, while Spritomb does give you breathing room, if you don't have draw to help setup while you're breathing, it will be your pokemon out of breath when it's all said and done

In favor of EVO decks... you mean in favor of Gengar/Machamp, right? That's all you listed, and weren't those the decks that were dominating (quite a bit, Machamp donk is one of the best donks in the game), before SPs came along? They still compete; when I get donked by Machamp, they start with THE hand, they rarely draw into it.

I only mentioned those, because those pokemon have been known to be used against SPs...and dominating for a set, isn't much dominating is it?...while I do see the occasional deck with Gengar (SF), Machamp (SF) has almost disappeared as a deck by itself...and by the way, how often do you now get donked?

Also, your use of the word "cheapest" is only a description of your inability to combat the SP archetype, like I said, Spiritomb AR and Cyrus' works quite well in EVO decks; maybe YOU should stop relying so much on Claydol and Uxie/Azelf. When you start to rely on powers that much, you're just asking for SPs to walk all over you.

actually, you misread the context of what I wad referring to...I call SPs cheap not because of the inability to combat the archtypes, but because they have TSS support only they can use, and their TSS support generally does things that no other TSS cards do...Power Spray - stopping a power for the use of one card, as compared to needing to get a "jumping" Stage 2 out, and discarding two cards, definitely cheap...Energy Gain - a tool that reduces energy cost by a {C}, they only thing that comes close is Salamence (SF), if there is a pokemon on your opponents field that has 120hp or more, and Mother Pheromone Nidoqueen, definitely cheap...PokeTurn - play a card pick up a pokemon, with no flip; SSU sux so much compared this...cheap anyone?...the other support I won't even get into, one is actually even with 2 cards, and the others, well, SP players often pass those over for their cheaper relatives that I just mentioned...generally, I don't have that much trouble with SPs when I play against them, because I have cards that I can use to counter, all of which will be rotating out, except Spiritomb...and when you show me an EVO deck that gets wins, like premiere event wins, using the Cyrus' SP engine, I will take your accusation seriously...otherwise, it just sounds like you're just reaching

Broken Time Space and Spiritomb (Spiritomb especially) have much less weaknesses and are much more searchable than Rare Candy ever was. But, Rare Candy was a given, it's been part of the game in several forms since Base Set (Pokemon Breeder), so I don't think it'll ever go away.

Idk, maybe I'm just hoping that it's PT-on because my current deck would be crippled without it. (It's not SPs, it's Crobat Prime FYI)

Also, I've seen many people say the rotation in Japan has been decided to be RR-on, and one person say it's been decided to be PT-on, but with no sources, valid or not. I even google searched it and could not find a single (even possibly valid) source.

actually, BTS still being in PT is really about the only good thing I believe to come from a PT-on format...I was thinking that BTS came out in SF...so that at least is some saving grace...that still doesn't count for as much as how many SP counters would be rotated out...

I have alot decks that would be crippled by an RR-on rotation...but that doesn't keep me from wanting a balanced metagame where there are lots of decks that have a viable chance of being actually competitive, instead of just one set of archetypes running rampant in the format

I know what you mean on the rumors, that's why I still just consider them rumors...until actually someone comes with real evidence of what Japan has actually rotated to, I won't actually look at those rumors as rock solid

Didn't realize they were rumors, thanks for clearing that up. I am pretty tired (just finished a 7 page paper), so I'm just gonna respond to one part of that post (also because you made it really hard to quote and reply to, putting your own responses in the quote itself). Luxdrill won the masters division at Worlds last year, and that used Crobat Gs, Cyrus', AND Luxray GL; a mini-SP engine of sorts, yet it also required 3-4 stage 2s to be out at the same time and somehow had enough space for all of said SP support.

I seem to think about this a lot, and the more I think really hard about it, an RR-on format does and doesn't make sense at the same time. 7 sets seems like a solid number of sets to begin a rotation with, and here's the theory (completely mathematical, I am not saying I do or do not believe this, take it for what it is): Come rotation this year, we will have 7 sets (including whichever one is released in August/September), and assuming a set is released every three months, which is the norm, we will have approximately 11 sets come next year's rotation. If they rotate all of platinum then, that will be four sets rotated leaving 7 yet again to start a format. It seems like they release sets in concurrence with video game releases, in that case PT won't be rotated until Pokemon Black and White is released in the US, meaning PT won't be rotated this year. I also don't see a reason to rotate just one of a group of sets, seems wildly inconsistent to me.

Edit: while we're on the subject of cards being printed without their evo lines, SV is a very odd set.

Skorupi -> ?
Zubat -> ?
Starly -> Staravia -> ?
Croagunk -> ?
Turtwig -> ?
Piplup -> ?
Chimchar -> ?
Combee -> ?
Corphish -> ?
Geodude -> ?
Kricketot -> ?
Magikarp -> ?
Magnemite -> ?
Meowth -> ?
Shinx -> ?

Skorupi with no Drapion, Zubat with no Golbat or Crobat, Starly and Staravia with no Staraptor (FB doesn't count), Croagunk with no Toxicroak, Turtwig with none of his evolutions, Piplup with none of his, Chimchar with none of his, Combee with no Vespiquen, Corphish with no Crawdaunt, Geodude with no Graveler OR Golem, Kricketot with no Kricketune, Magikarp with no Gyarados (seriously wtf at this one), Magnemite with no Magneton or Magnezone, Meowth with no Persian, and Shinx with no Luxio or Luxray.

What's the deal with SV?

It should be Platinum-on. I mean, look at this.

If it were Platinum-on, all the DP sets would be out. Then next year, it would be HGSS-on, and so forth. I believe it would make more sense.

While Platinum on seams like a logical assumption, look at the patterns of the two most recent rotations. Last years rotations eliminated all sets from 2006 along with the first set of 2007, Power Keepers. The rotation before that eliminated all sets from 2005 along with the first set of 2006, Legend Maker. The pattern was suppose to occur this year too with all sets of 2007 being eliminated, along with the first set of 2008, Great Encounters, meaning a Majestic Dawn on format, but that wasn't so due to stuff like Claydol being in past sets, as without Claydol, SP's could easily overrun the format. This is supported by the noticeable difference in the title font from MD to SF compared to the font used for DP to GE. So this year, to once again prevent SP's from completely overrunning the format, all sets from 2008 (along with 2007) should be eliminated along with the first set of 2009, Platinum. This way SP's won't be able to overrun the format completely and other decks will actually have a chance. An RR on format is the most likely IMO.

Pokeman said:

I don't think anyone remembers Rocket's Persian Ex from Ex:Unseen Forces. It was also without its pre-evolution in the Deoxys-on format of 2005-2006 season. This didn't stop Ex:Team Rocket Returns from being rotated out and the same might happen to Drapion Lv.X. Neither of which have or were used when they were playable(Maybe Persian,but as nothing more than a Tech).

festizzio said:
Didn't realize they were rumors, thanks for clearing that up. I am pretty tired (just finished a 7 page paper), so I'm just gonna respond to one part of that post (also because you made it really hard to quote and reply to, putting your own responses in the quote itself). Luxdrill won the masters division at Worlds last year, and that used Crobat Gs, Cyrus', AND Luxray GL; a mini-SP engine of sorts, yet it also required 3-4 stage 2s to be out at the same time and somehow had enough space for all of said SP support.

I seem to think about this a lot, and the more I think really hard about it, an RR-on format does and doesn't make sense at the same time. 7 sets seems like a solid number of sets to begin a rotation with, and here's the theory (completely mathematical, I am not saying I do or do not believe this, take it for what it is): Come rotation this year, we will have 7 sets (including whichever one is released in August/September), and assuming a set is released every three months, which is the norm, we will have approximately 11 sets come next year's rotation. If they rotate all of platinum then, that will be four sets rotated leaving 7 yet again to start a format. It seems like they release sets in concurrence with video game releases, in that case PT won't be rotated until Pokemon Black and White is released in the US, meaning PT won't be rotated this year. I also don't see a reason to rotate just one of a group of sets, seems wildly inconsistent to me.

how do you figure that it is inconsistent, when during the last "actual" rotation, there weren't that many sets rotated, and those were the REMAINING sets of the EX series sets that were still left in the format...care to explain why, during our last "actual" rotation, what was rotated out wasn't a full block of sets, but the remainder of a block? sounds like rotating out a complete block of sets is what would sound inconsistent, given how the game has rotated out sets in the past

so far, the argument that I've heard the most is about how a PT-on rotation would make the most sense, and how any other rotation prediction make none...yet, all of this is said with little to no evidence that actually points to reasons as to why and back up how much a PT-on rotation makes more sense, while others do not...c'mon guys, put at least a lil' effort into proving your points

Edit: while we're on the subject of cards being printed without their evo lines, SV is a very odd set.

Skorupi -> ?
Zubat -> ?
Starly -> Staravia -> ?
Croagunk -> ?
Turtwig -> ?
Piplup -> ?
Chimchar -> ?
Combee -> ?
Corphish -> ?
Geodude -> ?
Kricketot -> ?
Magikarp -> ?
Magnemite -> ?
Meowth -> ?
Shinx -> ?

Skorupi with no Drapion, Zubat with no Golbat or Crobat, Starly and Staravia with no Staraptor (FB doesn't count), Croagunk with no Toxicroak, Turtwig with none of his evolutions, Piplup with none of his, Chimchar with none of his, Combee with no Vespiquen, Corphish with no Crawdaunt, Geodude with no Graveler OR Golem, Kricketot with no Kricketune, Magikarp with no Gyarados (seriously huh? at this one), Magnemite with no Magneton or Magnezone, Meowth with no Persian, and Shinx with no Luxio or Luxray.

What's the deal with SV?

those were actually leftovers from Japan that we hadn't received yet...originally it was thought that we were going to receive those and others in future POP packs, but being that the POP packs were discontinued, we still had to receive them somehow

mr.619 said:
It should be Platinum-on. I mean, look at this.

If it were Platinum-on, all the DP sets would be out. Then next year, it would be HGSS-on, and so forth. I believe it would make more sense.

and why would it make more sense, just because it's a block? this isn't MTG, the blocks that pokemon has doesn't have the same number of sets within each block...if that was the case, I would probably agree...however, DP had 7 sets...PT had 4...so you're saying that they should rotate 7 sets this year, and then rotate 4 sets the next year...without even knowing how many sets that our current block will have, and how many sets our future block will have...there's no telling how many sets that would leave after next year's rotation

Obsidius said:
I don't think anyone remembers Rocket's Persian Ex from Ex:Unseen Forces. It was also without its pre-evolution in the Deoxys-on format of 2005-2006 season. This didn't stop Ex:Team Rocket Returns from being rotated out and the same might happen to Drapion Lv.X. Neither of which have or were used when they were playable(Maybe Persian,but as nothing more than a Tech).

while I'm not sure about Rocket's Persian Ex...I do know that Drapion Lv. X does, and has gotten use, I've witnessed it in action at Premiere Events...now while it may not be widely used or win a bunch of Premiere Events, it does get use and use beyond a tech, unlike you stated with Rocket's Persian Ex

qnetykz said:
while I'm not sure about Rocket's Persian Ex...I do know that Drapion Lv. X does (and has) gotten use, I've witnessed it in action at Premiere Events...now while it may not be widely used or win a bunch of Premiere Events, it does get use and use beyond a tech, unlike you stated with Drapion Lv. X

Perhaps I should clarify:
Obsidius said:
I don't think anyone remembers Rocket's Persian Ex from Ex:Unseen Forces. It was also without its pre-evolution in the Deoxys-on format of 2005-2006 season. This didn't stop Ex:Team Rocket Returns from being rotated out and the same might happen to Drapion Lv.X. Neither of which have or were used Sucessfully when they were playable(Maybe Persian,but as nothing more than a Tech).

Now, since Drapion Lv.X was hyped prior to the release of Platinum, I would have expected people to try out that lock aspect of Drapion with Unown K and Palkia Lv.X. However,since people realized that Dialga/Palkia/SPs were the real gems of the set, everyone began to "Monkey see, Monkey do".

This doesn't mean that Drapion Lv.X completely bad(Bad weakness, High retreat, Low Damage Output, High Attack Cost and 50/50 Poke-power). It does have a solid 130 Hp for a Stage One Lv.X and an regular Drapion with better attacks than its own.:)

I have also seen Drapion at Premier Events and even played a few(It was the same person, but still). What I'm trying to say is, just because its played at a premier event(probably Battle Roads) or used more than a tech, doesn't make it better than it is. I have a feeling that your a Drapion user and has had mild success with it. If so, than more power to you for playing something Rogue in this "Monkey" of a Format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back