'Remix Bout,' Japan's July Set!

Scoop

Literally a sheep
sawsbuck.jpg

OppositeAttract

Aspiring Trainer
Emboar appears decent. Really like Throh and if Brooklet Hill was still available Phione would be really good. As is, I think the card offers some of the benefits that come from suicune gx and volcanion prism which make me think it isn't half bad despite its low hp.

ronangorski

Aspiring Trainer
Now with all the cards, this is the pokemon that did not have any card in the Sun and Moon era:

Abra
Kadabra
Alakazam

Sentret
Furret
Pichu
Bellossom
Aipom
Sunkern
Sunflora
Teddiursa
Ursaring
Smoochum
Elekid
Magby

Zigzagoon
Linoone
Azurill
Lileep
Cradily
Anorith
Armaldo
Spheal
Sealeo
Walrein

Kricketot
Kricketune
Budew
Burmy
Wormadam
Mothim
Ambipom
Chingling
Bonsly
Mime Jr.
Mantyke
Gallade

Snivy*
Servine
Serperior
Oshawott
Dewott
Samurott
Woobat
Swoobat
Timburr
Gurdurr
Conkeldurr
Tympole
Palpitoad
Seismitoad
Maractus
Solosis
Duosion
Reuniclus
Ducklett
Swanna
Frillish
Jellicent
Klink
Klang
Klinklang
Mienfoo
Mienshao
Rufflet
Braviary

Chespin*
Quilladin
Chesnaught
Swirlix
Slurpuff

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
Where are the Z moves? There are just 4 more set of SM and we only had 3 of 18, they come just too late and for some reason they decide to make Z moves based on games types, instead of TCG types (Just 11) was hoping to see all Z crystals but now its gonna be too much luck if we got 6

Pikachu6319

Scooby
That 1-2 punch of being annoyed by no Sunkern/Sunflora and then seeing Deerling and Sawsbuck. :eek:

Tepig line and Throh are also good surprises. They just brought back 5 Unova Pokemon (Deerling and Emboar were in XY sets) who were last printed in Gen 5 in one swoop.

If only that Deerling and Sawsbuck were a form we didn't already have around.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
I mean, true, but Sawsbuck hasn't been in the TCG since freaking Emerging Powers, so I'll take what I can get.

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Just to tease, I want to immortalize real quick the translation on Switch before they change it.

https://imgur.com/a/L4plXGB

I would love to be able to switch my opponent until I get an opponent with a more favorable match up.

Zster

Aspiring Trainer
Is it just me, or is emboar objectively better than team up blastoise, but for any deck at all?

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
There are some cards of interest here:

Venusaur & Snivy GX: The ability and GX attack make this a nice one-off tech in some Grass decks.

Sawsbuck: Nice additional draw option.

Charizard & Braixen GX: Shiny Flare is a nice attack and works real well with the Fire support in a more control-based fire deck. I can see this card as the focus of its own deck.

Emboar: Decent one-time acceleration but I am not sold on it.

Blastoise & Piplup GX: Nice main attack. Too bad that we lost Dashing Pouch and Brooklet Hill. Otherwise one would have been able to switch between two Blastoise & Piplup in a Water tank deck.

Kyogre: Decent energy acceleration for Water decks.

Phione: Still a nice ability even with the added Gust options.

Rotom: Nice draw and acceleration option for Psychic decks that do not run Malamar.

Blacephalon: Great one-off tech in Malamar decks similar to Nihilego.

Groudon: Decent energy acceleration for Fighting decks.

Throh: Nice addition to Spiritomb decks.

Alolan Persian GX: Nice disruption due to its ability. Its viability will depend on the draw power and popularity of Power Plant.

Alolan Muk: Panic Poison is quite decent.

Guzzlord: This card can be a great addition to Umbreon & Darkrai decks or even be the focus of its own deck.

Great Catcher: One of the best cards in this set. Great Catcher will be a stable post-rotation and a great addition to some decks in SM1-on.

Rollerskater: Great addition to out arsenal of draw supporters. Malamar decks and other will love this card.

Too bad that there is no Cherish Ball reprint in this set since these will be hard to obtain in Japan once rotation hits. The trainer rare cards look nice as usual.

Last edited:

KK-Swizzle

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Charizard/Braixen can guarantee a miltank heal every turn that doesn’t get disrupted by reset stamp. Heracross one shots psyduck/Slowpoke if that ever gets popular. Venusaur/Snivy ability based gust seems decent but you’re kind of forced to attack with it since it takes up your attachment for turn. Marshadow will definitely see play in Malamar, and Blacephalon might too. Persian seems like a good option for stall as long as power plant doesn’t see too much play. Looks like guzzlord got his most playable card ever, definitely going in dark box to smash single prize decks. Overall not a lot of completely game breaking cards, but a lot of playable situational attackers and trainers! A nice utility set to add to the new (somewhat bare) format

DarkMatterGaming

Aspiring Trainer
So that Emboar seems pretty good.

My only hold-up is that it doesn't really have many great options to attach to outside of ReshiZard and BraxiZard... which already have Arcanine as a back-up accelerator and don't really need Emboar's help.

Either way, neat set.