'Remix Bout,' Japan's July Set!

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
WOW YES, they actually made 3 Kanto sets, yet not a single BW one. :/

Jeeze, I just hope this set is starter related and not a 3rd Kanto set.

Last edited:

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Kantoooooooooooooooooooooooo
Oh God I can't believe we're getting ANOTHER Kanto set! I just couldn't bear the thought of not having YET another version of the Kanto starters as GX mons! Because as we know, the only thing that matters in this game is not giving cards to some stupid underrated Pokemon or even following/ending this time gimmick!

Who cares about stuff like Mega Pinsir Ex? Who cares about stuff like Toucannon and Mudsdale, and Ribombee getting GX versions? Pffft nobody cares about that, we want KANTO pandering!

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
Kantoooooooooooooooooooooooo
Oh God I can't believe we're getting ANOTHER Kanto set! I just couldn't bear the thought of not having YET another version of the Kanto starters as GX mons! Because as we know, the only thing that matters in this game is not giving cards to some stupid underrated Pokemon or even following/ending this time gimmick!

Who cares about stuff like Mega Pinsir Ex? Who cares about stuff like Toucannon and Mudsdale, and Ribombee getting GX versions? Pffft nobody cares about that, we want KANTO pandering!
It could just be starter related, but why do we need 2+ Kanto sets anyway? Shouldn't all mon from Gen 1 be cards by then? Just make a Gen 5 set already or at least make one for mon that haven't been in a set this gen.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Is This maybe the sumo wrap up set? Or is that in september?

If they follow the timing for Sun & Moon, then september will still be Sun and Moon, and Feb will be the release for Sword and Shield (with a November/December release in Japan).

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
If we get another Charizard GX instead of Heracross, Gallade, or steelix getting GX I will be disappointed to say the least.
Seems likely it'll be a CharizardVenosaurBlastoise TTGX, given that we're getting another 3-card GX before that.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
If they follow the timing for Sun & Moon, then september will still be Sun and Moon, and Feb will be the release for Sword and Shield (with a November/December release in Japan).
OK, but no way that would be Unova related, because for the last set they tend to do reprints.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Amid the flood of obligatory complaints about everything as the Pokebeach comment section does, here's my take on this, which is a tad more positive.

I wonder what the set name is alluding to. A set with reprints, like legendary treasures? A set with the kanto starters as a tag team? (Which as a collector sounds like a DREAM) Who can say right now, I'm excited to see what's coming up. I'm a collector, so I'm hoping for some nice cards to add to my collection.

Also, for people wondering why they're doing so much Kanto as of late, you all do realize Let's Go is the game that's out, right? It's the same deal that they did with ORAS sets, or BW2 sets back in the day. It's just what they do nowadays, make cards to go with the game that's most recent.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved a Unova set. I really would have. I'm happy unova got some representation in promo products and in sets, with Reshiram and Zekrom being part of the flagship tag teams, or the occasional Unova oddity that's coming around in sets, like Whimsicott or Sigilyph. But I'd have loved a set coming back to my favorite region. But the going back to old regions schtick is, sadly, over, because of let's go being out.

I just hope we get Kyurem, Black Kyurem, and Terrakion as GXs. I hope every legendary who hasn't gotten one gets one though because they missed that boat with EXs which I'm salty about.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
Amid the flood of obligatory complaints about everything as the Pokebeach comment section does, here's my take on this, which is a tad more positive.

I wonder what the set name is alluding to. A set with reprints, like legendary treasures? A set with the kanto starters as a tag team? (Which as a collector sounds like a DREAM) Who can say right now, I'm excited to see what's coming up. I'm a collector, so I'm hoping for some nice cards to add to my collection.

Also, for people wondering why they're doing so much Kanto as of late, you all do realize Let's Go is the game that's out, right? It's the same deal that they did with ORAS sets, or BW2 sets back in the day. It's just what they do nowadays, make cards to go with the game that's most recent.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved a Unova set. I really would have. I'm happy unova got some representation in promo products and in sets, with Reshiram and Zekrom being part of the flagship tag teams, or the occasional Unova oddity that's coming around in sets, like Whimsicott or Sigilyph. But I'd have loved a set coming back to my favorite region. But the going back to old regions schtick is, sadly, over, because of let's go being out.

I just hope we get Kyurem, Black Kyurem, and Terrakion as GXs. I hope every legendary who hasn't gotten one gets one though because they missed that boat with EXs which I'm salty about.
OK, but why does Kanto need 3 sets? You didn't explain why Kanto should have 3 sets just because LGPE came out. Another issue is, the lack of Unova starters. A lot of Unova mon have made it to SM sets, sure, but not the starters and random legendaries are excluded. Plus some more popular Pokémon like Axew haven't been included either.

Plus shouldn't a collector want 1 of each mon per Generation? You make it sound like only random cards with more than 1 mon in them is all collectors are after.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
OK, but why does Kanto need 3 sets? You didn't explain why Kanto should have 3 sets just because LGPE came out. Another issue is, the lack of Unova starters. A lot of Unova mon have made it to SM sets, sure, but not the starters and random legendaries are excluded. Plus some more popular Pokémon like Axew haven't been included either.
Because it's the latest game in the series??? Your question is the same as asking why ORAS got three sets, or why HGSS got an entire block. It's par for the course at this point, Pokemon often make sets that coincide with their games, especially Post-DP era. It's been that way for the last, how many, 12 years? Do I necessarily think it should have 3 sets? I wouldn't say so, I'd rather they had continued doing sets with various regions as their focus, but I'm not surprised that they're doing it, because I'm being realistic and basing it off the last few times this has happened.

It is odd that they haven't touched the Unova starters or some of the more popular Pokemon. That's an anomaly that I couldn't explain to you.

I'm not saying I agree with every decision Pokemon makes, but when they do make choices like this, it doesn't surprise me. They're a company, I'm sure they're thinking about what's most marketable for the casual market that is like "oh hey, I played Let's Go! There's cards based off those things I saw!"

Don't think I'm trying to praise everything they're doing, though. They do a lot of things that put the collector at more of a disadvantage compared to the casual market or the competitive player. I'm still salty they didnt give every mega an Ultra Rare, or every legendary an EX.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Look I'm super sympathetic to the fact that certain Pokemon fall through the cracks for too long (Sunkern and Sunflora not appearing in the Johto-based set last year was bleak), and that the TCG is pretty much desperate with its Charizard pandering to sell packs in Gen 7, but there are still SEVERAL sets left before Gen 8 for a lot of these forgotten Pokemon to appear -- GG End's still got a good 20-30 cards to reveal, and there's also Sky Legends in April (54 cards), and Miracle Twin (95 cards) after that, BEFORE this Remix Bout set comes out in July.

I keep a running spreadsheet of each Pokemon's last appearances, and 696/809 have appeared in the SM era, which isn't that bad considering the 113 omitted include a dozen-plus non-Togepi/Riolu Baby Pokemon (which, until Double Blaze, were all but abandoned for a decade) and Kadabra. Especially when doubling up on popular Pokemon has been an aspect of the Pokemon selection in the TCG since jump. Kadabra aside, the last time a Generation actually featured every single Pokemon in the TCG was Gen 4 a decade ago. I don't expect all 112 remaining Pokemon to appear before Sword and Shield but it could be worse in terms of featuring everyone. *side eyes Gen 5's TCG era*

Last edited: