Rayquaza EX

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer
We're getting TWO Rayquaza EX AND a Mega and they're all colorless! Below are the translations from the Pokebeach main page.

Rayquaza-EX - Colorless - HP170
Basic Pokemon

[C][C] Mega Awakening: Search your deck for a M Rayquaza card and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.
[C][C][C][C] Aero Scream: 130 damage. Flip a coin. If tails, discard 2 Energy attached to this Pokemon.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Lighting (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 2

Rayquaza-EX
Rayquaza-EX - Colorless - HP170
Basic Pokemon

[C] Rising Burn: 10+ damage. If your opponent's Active Pokemon is a Pokemon-EX, this attack does 50? more damage.
[C][C][C] Dragon Pulse: 100 damage. Discard 1 card from the top of your deck.

Retreat: 2

M Rayquaza-EX
M Rayquaza-EX - Colorless - HP220
Mega Evolution - Evolves from Rayquaza-EX

When 1 of your Pokemon becomes a Mega Evolution, your turn ends.

Δ Evolution: Once during your turn (before your attack), you may play this card from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokemon even if that Pokemon was put into play this turn or if it's your first turn.

[C][C][C] Emerald Break: 30x damage. Does 30 damage times the number of Pokemon on your Bench.

Retreat: 1

I like these a lot. We were well over due for some strong, fighting resistant colorless Pokemon. Aero Scream provides a splashable big hitter and Rising Burn is amazing for the cost. Should be good against Seismitoad EX.

As for the mega, it will only max out at 170 with Muscle Band, but like Kangaskhan, it's good for the cost (The bats from Phantom Forces should get the extra damage in). And if it gets a spirit link with that ancient trait... wow.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
Delta Evolution, pretty much Broken Time-Space for itself.
Sadly, I don't see M Ray being too competitive atm. While its damage tops at 170 (which is actually pretty good considering it has no drawback), it's actually pretty hard to make use of its attack unless you pair it with Aromatisse (you heard it first from me!) or something like that.

Powering it up AND filling your Bench isn't as easy as it seems...Hopefully Double Dragon Energy or Mega Turbo Energy will do something for this guy.

EDIT: The Ancient Trait was in the spoiler xD here: Δ Evolution: Once during your turn (before your attack), you may play this card from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokemon even if that Pokemon was put into play this turn or if it's your first turn.

DarkMatterGaming

Aspiring Trainer
Vom said:
Delta Evolution, pretty much Broken Time-Space for itself.
Sadly, I don't see M Ray being too competitive atm. While its damage tops at 170 (which is actually pretty good considering it has no drawback), it's actually pretty hard to make use of its attack unless you pair it with Aromatisse (you heard it first from me!) or something like that.

Powering it up AND filling your Bench isn't as easy as it seems...Hopefully Double Dragon Energy or Mega Turbo Energy will do something for this guy.

EDIT: The Ancient Trait was in the spoiler xD here: Δ Evolution: Once during your turn (before your attack), you may play this card from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokemon even if that Pokemon was put into play this turn or if it's your first turn.

Okay, I was confused since it wasn't Omega or Alpha - I just assumed it the usual Mega Evolution rule.

Honestly, I don't really see this being a huge card unless it gets some amazing support.

RedGyarados

Aspiring Trainer
There's nothing amazing about the card itself aside from being splashable. But I think the Double dragon energy will make up for this.

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer
RedGyarados said:
There's nothing amazing about the card itself aside from being splashable. But I think the Double dragon energy will make up for this.

But I think being splashable with decent attacks is what might make these see some play. It worked for Mega Kangaskhan.

I'm actually more impressed with the basic EXes, particularly the one with Rising Burn (10 base and 50 more to EXes). For one energy, that's really good and could prove to be a splashable card to deal with the toad. The fighting resistance is good too.

RedGyarados

Aspiring Trainer
Lightning weakness though. But I think it will be paired wit something else since it is very splashable.
I wonder why Rayqauaza isn't a Dragon type any more. Are they going to make the old dragon back to being colorless type?

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
I think they just want to make Flying-type one because Dragon Ascent is a Flying-type move and the set is named "Roaring Skies."
As for the Lightning weakness, I don't think it will be too much of a deal especially if it gets good partners.

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
After seeing some of the newer cards, I think that Mega Rayquaza is honestly TOO strong.

First, 3 Colorless Energy is not hard to supply. You can use DCE, Bronzong, Emboar/Blastoise, and the new card Mega Turbo, which is a Dark Patch for Megas. Theoretically, you can power up Mega Rayquaza-EX on turn 1!

Second is the attack itself, which is very strong. 150 is good for 3 Energy, and being able to expand that to 240 with just a Stadium and filling your Bench is insane, especially when considering that the only thing that survives 240 would be Wailord-EX and Crystal Wall'd Black Kyurem-EX.

Delta Evolution is what makes Mega Rayquaza the monster that I hype it to be. Being able to get 'im into play turn 1 allows this card to be extremely quick and aggressive, despite being a Mega.

And finally, the little things. Fighting Resistance is great, 220HP is pretty solid when considering how quickly you can get this guy into play, Winona is a clever tool that can help set up your bench easily and get Mega Rayquaza's in play, and because of how Mega Rayquaza focuses on a large bench, it opens up lots of deck variety. You can really pair it with just about any stackable Ability, like Bronzong.

The one fear I do have, though, is the HP level in combination with the Lightning Weakness. Raichu kills Rayquaza with a Muscle Band, and so does Mega Manectric-EX, even without the Band.

DarkMatterGaming

Aspiring Trainer
GadgetJax said:
After seeing some of the newer cards, I think that Mega Rayquaza is honestly TOO strong.

First, 3 Colorless Energy is not hard to supply. You can use DCE, Bronzong, Emboar/Blastoise, and the new card Mega Turbo, which is a Dark Patch for Megas. Theoretically, you can power up Mega Rayquaza-EX on turn 1!

Second is the attack itself, which is very strong. 150 is good for 3 Energy, and being able to expand that to 240 with just a Stadium and filling your Bench is insane, especially when considering that the only thing that survives 240 would be Wailord-EX and Crystal Wall'd Black Kyurem-EX.

Delta Evolution is what makes Mega Rayquaza the monster that I hype it to be. Being able to get 'im into play turn 1 allows this card to be extremely quick and aggressive, despite being a Mega.

And finally, the little things. Fighting Resistance is great, 220HP is pretty solid when considering how quickly you can get this guy into play, Winona is a clever tool that can help set up your bench easily and get Mega Rayquaza's in play, and because of how Mega Rayquaza focuses on a large bench, it opens up lots of deck variety. You can really pair it with just about any stackable Ability, like Bronzong.

The one fear I do have, though, is the HP level in combination with the Lightning Weakness. Raichu kills Rayquaza with a Muscle Band, and so does Mega Manectric-EX, even without the Band.

That's... actually quite terrifying.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
GadgetJax said:

To be fair, getting a rayquaza down T1 will probably be like getting the T1 night spear back in 2013. Yes it can happen, but its not likely. Also don't forget that everytime your opponent switches out the stadium you'd lose 3 bench pokemon, maybe the deck can run 3 exeggcute to combat this?

CollectiveCubchoo

Aspiring Trainer
Elbow said:
GadgetJax said:

To be fair, getting a rayquaza down T1 will probably be like getting the T1 night spear back in 2013. Yes it can happen, but its not likely. Also don't forget that everytime your opponent switches out the stadium you'd lose 3 bench pokemon, maybe the deck can run 3 exeggcute to combat this?

You're going to have to fill up your bench anyways, so why not include Primal Clash's Nineties to seal the stadium.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
CollectiveCubchoo said:
You're going to have to fill up your bench anyways, so why not include Primal Clash's Nineties to seal the stadium.

Or run bench sitters with "come-into-play" abilities to sacrifice and reuse once Skyfield is discarded. Shaymin Ex and Jirachi Ex come to mind.

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer
Shaymin/Rayquaza/Skyfield sounds about right.

This is one card I hope doesn't get a spirit link. Getting this out T1 without losing a turn sounds extremely broken.

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
pokedan24 said:

This is one card I hope doesn't get a spirit link. Getting this out T1 without losing a turn sounds extremely broken.

Sorry, it is getting one. S.O.S

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
pokedan24 said:

You don't need to use a spirit link because the good mega quaza had the delta evolution ancient trait. That being said, you wouldn't be able to evolve a mega turn 1 with a spirit link because it counts as evolution.

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer
I think the dela evolution trait would work the same if there was a spirit link on Rayquaza EX. No where on the spirit link card does it say this pokemon cant evolve the same turn it was put into play. It doesnt count as evolution just because a tool is on the pokemon, the Delta Evolution will probably work and would not end your turn if you M evolve.

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Elbow said:
You don't need to use a spirit link because the good mega quaza had the delta evolution ancient trait. That being said, you wouldn't be able to evolve a mega turn 1 with a spirit link because it counts as evolution.

Delta evolution does not cancel out the mega evolution rule. It merely allows you to evolve on the same turn Rayquaza Ex has been placed on the battlefield. For that reason the spirit link will still be needed but not on the first turn if you happen to go first since you cannot attack on that turn anyway. Later on delta evolution will merely help the deck to dodge Flare Tools.

If you happen to go second you would need Rayquaza Ex, the spirit Link, Double Colorless Energy, Mega Turbo, Skyfield and at least six benched Pokémon to ohko any Pokémon Ex. The odds of such a move are negligibly small. It is a fast deck but not a donk deck.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
Dark Espeon said:
Elbow said:

Delta evolution does not cancel out the mega evolution rule. It merely allows you to evolve on the same turn Rayquaza Ex has been placed on the battlefield. For that reason the spirit link will still be needed but not on the first turn if you happen to go first since you cannot attack on that turn anyway. Later on delta evolution will merely help the deck to dodge Flare Tools.

If you happen to go second you would need Rayquaza Ex, the spirit Link, Double Colorless Energy, Mega Turbo, Skyfield and at least six benched Pokémon to ohko any Pokémon Ex. The odds of such a move are negligibly small. It is a fast deck but not a donk deck.

Oh I thought the rule negated the effect...after rereading I see it just gives you the option. Well this changes many things I was thinking about for next format haha. Sorry for the mistake.