• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

RayBoar with Delphox

Frost Mage

Pegasususus
Pokemon: 14

* 3 Rayquaza EX
* 3 Tepig
* 3 Emboar
* 2 Fennekin
* 2 Delphox
* 1 Rayquaza

Trainers: 35

• * 3 Professor Juniper
    * 4 N
    * 4 Ultra Ball
    * 4 Rare Candy
    * 4 Skyla
    * 2 Shauna
    * 2 Lysandre
    * 4 Superior Energy Retrieval
    * 1 Switch
    * 2 Professor's Letter
    * 2 Surprise Megaphone
    * 2 Skyarrow Bridge
    * 1 Escape Rope
    * 1 Dowsing Machine

Energy: 11

* 8 Fire
* 3 Lightning

2 super rod is gonna get pretty cluttered, so you probably want to go down to 1. Then you can take out an N (Skyla and Juniper are more important anyway, and once a Delphox is up it won't matter too much) and then replace them with Skyarrow Bridge, pretty much just to be a counter stadium, if you don't run one, Frozen City will just run you through. Another option if you don't feel like you need the retreat is Pokemon Center, because the extra healing can be nice, and if you're getting OHKO's, your opponent won't be able to use it. Anyways, I hope this helps.

I've built and played RayBoar (without Delphox and Tropical Beach), as well as played against this particular deck and have seen it played quite a bit too (most recently at the State tournaments).

I do believe you should strongly consider adding at least 2 Stadiums (Skyarrow, Pokémon City, etc.) to counter your opponents' Stadiums, especially Frozen City. I run a PlasmaBox deck with 2 Frozen City Stadiums - you would have an almost "autoloss" against a deck like that once FC Stadium comes into play, given your current deck list.

Secondly, IMHO, you do need 2 Super Rods in order to recycle your Tepigs and Fennekins which can be more easily "sacrificed" perhaps early game as you setup (since you have 3-2 copies of these Poké). It is not unlikely that these low HP are KOd early, as oppose to having one of your Rays receiving that early damage.

Also, given that you are running 2 Stage 2 lines, Dowsing Machine, and Superior Energy Removals, you will find Exeggcute very useful too, IMHO.

Given the above comments, IMHO, the cards that are candidates (due to process of elimination of the most essential/required cards for the deck) for replacement are: 1 Escape Rope, 1 Switch and 1 Professor's Letter (in priority selection sequence from "first to last"). So, 2 Stadiums and Exeggcute could be added as the replacements for these designated cards.

By the way, are you finding that the 4 Professor Juniper and 4 Ns are working well to help you get a Delphox into play consistently by T2 or T3, "consistently" (i.e., 80%+ of the time)? Although Ns are great for opponent's hand disruption, you may not always want to disrupt her/his hand. Would 2 Colress (for 2 Ns) be more helpful? From my observations, most players tend to fill theirs benches by T2.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

I've been thinking about adding Skyarrow Bridge for a while now, but for some reason it sort of slipped my mind when I added Delphox. I'll definitely add those. Escape Rope is one of those things where I'll take it out and then be put into a situation where Escape Rope would be extremely helpful, if not win me the game entirely. But when I do have it in my deck, it's sort of worthless. :p I'm very hesitant about putting Exeggcute into my deck again, but now with Delphox and all the changes I've made since I took it out, I may be able to find space for it.

I really like the 2 Professor's Letters, they're so useful for setting up, particularly for getting those Lightnings onto Rayquazas. I've been thinking about that Colress, and I might just do that. I'm always in situations where I don't want to give my opponent a new hand, but I desperately need a new hand myself.

As for the Super Rods, I think I'll keep them, going off of my rule of thumb of one Super Rod per Stage 2 line. :)

Fyi: I played at a State tournament (120+ Masters) this past weekend and there were at least 2 players running RayBoar who made the top 8 (1 made it to the finals). At this same tournament, RayBoar (with and without Delphox) had a strong presence (I estimated at least 12.5% to 20% of the field).

A Poké pal of mine just confirmed that he played against 3 RayBoar-Delphox decks during 3 of the 7 Swiss rounds at this tournament. He also mentioned that none of those players ran Reshiram - thought being that Delphox would be used to 1HKO any Genesect EX or Virizion EX if need be.

No doubt, it is a strong and popular deck.

Thanks for the deck post! Sorry for the late reply, but I really like this deck. I should be able to make most of this deck before states. One change I was thinking of would be a possible Scramble Switch? It may have some fun end-game implications?

I dunno, Dowsing Machine has one me more games than I can count, I don't think I wanna switch it out. :c

No, no no, keep dowsing. You are playing Rayboar, there is absolutely no need for scramble switch. You can attach as much as you like, why would there be a need for scramble, like, ever. I can only think of like, 2 situations for scramble switch being the winning card..... 1. You need a switching effect to win 2. You need a lightning energy on a benched rayquaza EX and theres one on the active.... ?reshiram?.... and you dont have the energy in hand or a SER so you scramble into the reshiram. Random stuff right there.... lets leave it at dowsing machine. BTW, like the list.

Archa000x said:
One change I was thinking of would be a possible Scramble Switch? It may have some fun end-game implications?
When you consider that one is usually discarding energy for Rayquaza EX's Dragon Burst attack, there is little (typically 1) energy left on RayEX; so, the Scramble Switch would be "under utilize" in this case. Besides the multiple Energy Retrievals and/or Superior Energy Retrievals in this deck provide the pseudo energy dump/transfer onto different Poké; thus providing far superior versatility and flexibility than a "1 and done" Scramble Switch.

Lastly, I had a chance to speak with another Poké pal (Top 8 player who ran RayBoar) at last weekend's State tournament and ask him what gave him an "edge" in playing the mirror match or against Blastoise. His reply: "Just need to hit the Catchers." He runs 2 Poké Catchers (like some other players too that I've noticed). Just fyi...

Thanks Tuxedo, I was leaning toward that thought but there aren't going to be that many times baby Ray gets switched to an EX for its energy.

Archa000x said:
Thanks Tuxedo, I was leaning toward that thought but there aren't going to be that many times baby Ray gets switched to an EX for its energy.
Agreed. With good resource management, chances are very, very small that you would not ever need to "switch" energy from 1 Poké to another.

This is what I'm looking at now... the only reason I don't have a dowsing machine is that I can't find one... So hopefully it'll show up online.

3 Tepig
3 Emboar
3 Rayquaza-EX
2 Delphox
2 Fennekin
1 Rayquaza
1 Exeggcute

3 N
3 Skyla
2 Skyarrow Bridge
4 Professor Juniper
4 Superior Energy Retrieval
2 Super Rod
1 Professor's Letter
1 Escape Rope
2 Level Ball
1 Heavy Ball
1 Tool Scrapper
2 Colress
1 Switch
4 Ultra Ball
2 Pokemon Catcher

9 Fire
3 Lightning

It's somewhat different from Frost Mage's deck but a lot alike. I don't know if i'm over-doing it with the supporters or what?

Agh, it's so hard to not tell you to just take my list. xD I'd suggest taking out Heavy Ball and the Level Balls, you'll be able to search for everything with Ultra Ball. Also, 4 Skyla is a must, I think. But we should probably take this to your thread. :)

@TuxedoBlack; Haha, flippy catchers. </3 They just aren't consistent. I'm waiting for Lysandre.

Archa000x said:
This is what I'm looking at now... the only reason I don't have a dowsing machine is that I can't find one... So hopefully it'll show up online.

3 Tepig
3 Emboar
3 Rayquaza-EX
2 Delphox
2 Fennekin
1 Rayquaza
1 Exeggcute

3 N
3 Skyla
2 Skyarrow Bridge
4 Professor Juniper
2 Super Rod
1 Professor's Letter
1 Escape Rope
2 Level Ball
1 Heavy Ball
1 Tool Scrapper
2 Colress
1 Switch
4 Ultra Ball
2 Pokemon Catcher

9 Fire
3 Lightning

It's somewhat different from Frost Mage's deck but a lot alike. I don't know if i'm over-doing it with the supporters or what?
That's what lots of playtesting will do: give you ideas about additional tweaks the deck needs.

I think you have a very solid starting point. Good luck.

Archa000x said:

3 Tepig
3 Emboar
3 Rayquaza-EX
2 Delphox
2 Fennekin
1 Rayquaza
1 Exeggcute

3 N
3 Skyla
2 Skyarrow Bridge
4 Professor Juniper
2 Super Rod
1 Professor's Letter
1 Escape Rope
2 Level Ball
1 Heavy Ball
1 Tool Scrapper
2 Colress
1 Switch
4 Ultra Ball
2 Pokemon Catcher

9 Fire
3 Lightning

Looks like a pretty good list, but you probably want to find room for 1 more scrapper because I think garb decks usually run like 6 tools or something. Also, this website currently has dowsing machines in stock. Good luck with the deck!

Ok, so I got the dowsing machine and a few other cards. So here's what I'm looking at as a "final" list. I have a few other cards: Catcher x4, Cilan x2, Muscle Band x4, Mewtwo-EX x2 and a few others. So I'm seeing if what I've got is competitive!

Pokemon: (15)
  • Tepig: 3
  • Emboar: 3
  • Rayquaza-ex: 3
  • Delphox: 2
  • Fennekin: 2
  • Rayquaza: 1
  • Exeggcute: 1
Trainers/Supporter/Stadium: (33)
  • Skyla: 4
  • Skyarrow Bridge: 2
  • Professor Juniper: 4
  • Superior Energy Retrieval: 4
  • Super Rod: 2
  • Professor's Letter: 1
  • Tool Scrapper: 1
  • Colress: 2
  • Switch: 2
  • Ultra Ball: 4
  • Rare Candy: 4
  • Dowsing Machine - ACESPEC: 1
  • Max Potion: 1
  • Level Ball: 1
Energy: 12
  • Fire: 9
  • Lightning: 3

So I added the Max Potion and two more Skylas, for a total of 4. And the Exeggcute for dowsing and ultra ball. I have one more scrapper that I'm thinking of putting in, but space is restricted.
Anyway, like I said, I'd love some feedback and help. I hope this one is competitive!

2 Tool Scrapper is a must, if not 3. Garbodor will pick you apart. :c You might want to try a second Professor's Letter. It's extremely useful for getting those Lightnings on Rayquazas. Other than that, I really like it. :)

Ok, it's gone through a mass amounts of indecisiveness and second (or twentieth) guessing.

Pokemon

• 3 Raquaza EX
• 3 Emboar
• 3 Tepig
• 2 Delphox
• 2 Fennekin
• 1 Rayquaza
• 1 Exeggcute

Trainer/Supporter/Stadium

• 4 Skyla
• 4 Juniper
• 2 Colress
• 2 Shauna
• 1 N
• 4 Superior Energy Retrieval
• 4 Rare Candy
• 2 Skyarrow Bridge
• 1 Professor's Letter
• 2 Tool Scrapper
• 1 Switch
• 3 Ultra Ball
• 1 Level Ball
• 1 Heavy Ball
• 1 Super Rod
• 1 Dowsing Machine

Energy

• 8 Fire
• 3 Lightning

What I'm trying to see is if I can fit in: Catchers, 1 more Skyarrow (I don't want to die in a frozen city), more Switches, maybe another non-ex attacker with a type that is opposite the top decks. The results for the first round of states just got back and there were a ton of plasma and darkrai/garbador. And, to top it all this will be my first tournament. Kinda want to have all I can to go up with them :D

Back