Protecting and Displaying Cards

theducktamer

Tamer of all Ducks!
I really like to display my collected Pokemon cards in binder pages, but I was wondering what's the best way to do that so the cards stay in their near mint/mint condition.

I'm thinking about putting all of them in their own separate sleeve then putting them in the binder page. If they're in a good sleeve, does putting two cards (front/back) in a binder slot damage the card?

Am I better off just putting one card in each slot so each page only holds nine cards?

Also, what are the best card sleeves for Pokemon cards? I have some really cheap ones that I found on eBay, but they bunch up when I put them in the binder pages. I want my cards to fit snugly (without falling out) and I want them to lie flat for display.

And as a kind of off topic question, if a card no longer lies flat, like it curls slightly, is there anyway to get the card to lie flat again? My Neo Genesis holos are no longer perfectly flat. :/

As for your first question, it does not damage the card. It is what I do in my binder, and it does not damage the card, but the sleeve does get a bit wrinkly. You're better off not being me and doing 9 cards per page.

For your second question, UltraPro sleeves are great. They're plastic, cheap, and strong. They won't bend easily, and better than using prerealese sleeves to store them (except for certain prerealese sets).

I don't know the answer to your third question. :(

forget ultra-pro sleeves if your trying to keep your collection in a binder. they're cut too big to fit into page sleeves.
go with the KMC-Perfect Fit Sleeves

they're precision made to hug the card perfectly.

for really good cards, i then go ahead and put my good cards in deck protector sleeves and then again into monster binders.

great way to display your collection and keep them perfectly mint

however, if you have alot of cards you want to display in a binder, then the best way to keep them in mint/NM condition would be to put them into clean new pages and no more than 2 cards per page. then dont touch them again. the more you move your cards around in and out of the pages, the more you will scuff and maybe chip the sides

as for cards warping, thats just the natural tendency of the foil paper. nothing you can do about that other than to just keep them flat in sleeves and such

The only thing I don't like about the ultra pro is that my cards slip out. My Team Rocket 1st Ed. holos are in those sleeves and the tops aren't protected very well. :/

Hmmm..I've heard of the KCM-perfect fit before. They look like they're exactly what I'm looking for. Where can you buy those? I'm sure I can look on eBay...

I display my cards by sets. Each set gets its own binder. Are monster binders the ones where you insert the cards in the side? How good is that in keeping cards in the slots? Do they slip out?

What kind of deck protector sleeves do you use? Do they fit binder pages well?

Aw...so once a card starts warping nothing can be done. That's kind of sad. Oh well. All of the cards are kept in toploaders right now, guess that isn't going to help anything! lol

Thanks for the replies. =]
I don't mess with my binders much. They only get touched if I'm adding missing cards to the sets.

I use 100% Ultra Pro stuff for the huge amount of cards I store and catalogue. They do a series of thin, clear sleeves that are acid free, and they comfortably fit in their page sleeves (I sleeve back-to-back, so one card in one soft sleeve, backed by another card in another soft sleeve, placed into the page sheet.) This stops issues like card slippage, and also means if I ever need to shift a card, or pull it out for a photoshoot, I never handle it.

Also, re: card bending issues. Yes, it's a thing with the paper and foil, however I've found good ol' weight really helps. Most of my binders are heavy. I don't exactly store a LOT in them, but I store enough that I have some heft and bulk to them. The natural combination of gravity and weight often press any cards with foil bending issues I find, when stored over time in a dry and cool place.

Here is a thread where framing and other methods of protection were discussed.
Please do not revive the old thread but use the information there as a reference.
http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=86276

monster binders are side-loaded and are theft/slip proof. they also allow deck protector sized sleeves to fit.
however, i like the ultra-pro premium binder. its ultra-pro's answer to the monster binder. however, it has a nice black leather padded covers and a elastic band to hold the binder together.
much much better than the monster binder, and it only costs around $20, a much more economical price, considering it does the exact same thing

also, the black sleeves just frame the cards so much better than regular plain clear sleeve sheets.
gives the overall cards a niced elegant framed look

Okay I'm going to buy some perfect fit sleeves today to see how they do. What kind of deck sleeves would work best? Should I buy KMC deck sleeves or would Ultra Pro work good too? I'm sort of afraid that the cards won't fit in Ultra Pro sleeves with the perfect fit sleeve too. I have some Ultra Pro sleeves and they seem small.
I have some nice gold sleeves but I don;t know what brand they are...

I use old ultra pros. Came with base set deck boxes.. Very stiff/sturdy sleeves. They prevent card curl too.

my new ultra pros split after 2 battle roads.. The old ultra pros have lasted years.

the perfect fit ones should fit in the new ultra pros. I've never had card slip issues for playing with them. Maybe get some prerelease sleeves for playing?

I know that they're weak, but I use prerelease sleeves, sometimes back-to-back, in Ultra Pro binders. It doesn't damage the sleeves or the cards as long as you don't constantly take them in and out. They're cheap, good-looking and colourful and they serve their purpose, so I like them. Hope this helps!

yeah as ogeray said. i discovered KMC perfect fit about a year ago and i love em. i put my cards in them upside down so that the top of the card is protected then put the in the page so its protected from all directions.

also in decks which have valuable cards in them i do the same double sleeve em. with the perfect fit sleeve being upside down

yup. i actually just got another 100 pack and i plan on perfect fit sleeving my entire deck, so they dont need other sleeves. love playing with the original cards non-deckprotector sleeved. they have a good back design ^_^

yeah me to. i got 300 of them sleeves 4 fulls deck the rest are for double protecting my rares.

only problem i had with them in decks is fresh out the pack it makes your Deck SLIPPY as hell, its like holding onto soap.

I just got my first perfect fit sleeves and I love them. I don't play so it's not a big deal for decks, but they work great with Ultra Pro deck sleeves for protection in binders. =]

Back