Post Next Destinies

Glace

Top 8, Worlds 2013
Advanced Member
This is about 1 1/2 months away, and since this will be our States format, I don't think this is too early. How do you think the meta will look like after Next Destinies.

I personally think that locktank decks will be gone after Next Destinies because a turn 1 Mewtwo destroys the set up of Vileplume, and then can ko all of their attackers. You say use EXs, but most of those EXs have heavy energy costs.

Expect Mewtwo to become the BCIF. I can see many decks involving Mewtwo, like Mewtwo/Eelectrik, Mewtwo/Gardevoir, or even Mewtwo/Celebi Prime. His first attack makes it splashable in any deck because of the DCE cost, so Mewtwo can even be thrown into a deck like ZPST if someone wanted to.

I can also expect Zekrom EX to make a really nice competitive scene. The ability to hit for 150 and discard only two energies from the attack makes it pretty good. It easily works with Eelectrik or DCE. A DCE can easily be discarded from his second attack, while Eelectrik can help reattach the discarded {L} back to Zekrom, but you might need to a lot of Switches for that to work. For that reason, I can see Magnezone/Eelectrik being way more played than it is now since Zekrom EX can easily be thrown into the deck to take Zekrom BW's place. Within the deck, Magnezone too also benefits because he can easily KO most EX's with the help of Eelectrik, and KOing EXs means taking two prizes, so Magnezone will be even better post Next Destinies.

I can see Smeargle and Celebi Prime being very common techs post Next Destinies. Thanks to Skyarrow Bridge, they now have a free retreat, so they can finally take the competitive spotlight (for Smeargle, it'll be a return; for Celebi, it'll be its first time being competitive, and its Poke-power helps Mewtwo EX a lot).

Based off that I can easily see Magneboar, which takes advantage off all of those cards, being Tier 1 at least.

Due to high hp and high damage output that surpasses 130, Chandelure and Gothitelle are dead. Reshiphlosion is outclassed by Reshiboar (Reshiram-EX, maybe 1-2 normal Reshiram for Outrage, but doubtful), Mageel gets way better since it can OHKO EXes and use Zekrom EX for a huge damage output that doesn't LZ any energy. I'm not really sure if The Truth will work after Next Destinies, I would think so because of how hard an EX will be to KO with Reuniclus and Vileplume up, but I can't be sure. Magneboar seems kinda redundant since its slower than Mageel and Reshiboar, but has the same damage output. I don't see Mewtwo EX being much in terms of a tech because anything that is weak to it hits it for weakness, and that 2 prize loss will make it too difficult to keep up an even exchange of prizes. As a deck itself, I haven't had the chance to test it and it seems too subjective to consistency for me to theorymon much about it.

Mewtwo EX won't see much play. A simple Mew Prime tech with Jumpluff, Cincinno, or even Zoroark OHKO's with ease. Which in the end puts the person with Mewtwo down on the prize trade.

Mewtwo's "friends" can just take care of it. Mewtwo will never be alone. It needs backup and energy acceleration.

Zekrom, Zekrom EX, Reshiram, and Reshiram EX will most likely be played with Mewtwo for backup.

Doesn't matter. You charge up a Mewtwo, bring it up, attack. I bring up a guy, drop a Mew, attach a DCE/Rainbow, and kill Mewtwo. You just took 1 Prize, I took 2. Besides, I don't see how Zekrom/ Zekrom EX and Reshiram/ Reshiram EX fits with a Mewtwo, unless its an X-Ball tech.

No, they fit in because of the energy acceleration. For Eel Mewtwo variants, Zekrom will be seen, and in Emboar Mewtwo variants, Reshiram may be seen. Reshiram EX will be seen though.

Glaceon said:
Mewtwo's "friends" can just take care of it. Mewtwo will never be alone. It needs backup and energy acceleration.

The new Gardevoir from Next Destinies is the perfect partner for Mewtwo EX, it's Ability makes any {P} attachment to ANY of your {P} Pokemon count as 2 Units of {P} Energy instead of just one. Remember how ridiculous Sceptile GE was back in DP-On and how it made Leafeon Lv. X and Torterra Lv. X a powerhouse back in the day?

Yeah Gardevoir does just that but for {P} Pokemon only. That and it's a great backup attacker to boot being able to do 60 damage for just 2 {P} Energy attachments or 1 {P} Energy attachment and a DCE. It can also OHKO Vileplume If you're running a Bellsprout tech for Inviting Scent to get around Item Lock and If you have Dodrio on the bench for Retreat Aid the better.

Next Destinies is definitely going to be a game changer, there are such a large number of game changing cards, it's tough being able to tell where everything is going to fall. Currently EelZone, TyRam, CaKE, The Truth (Who came up with this name? I've been out of the loop for a bit and I have no idea who decided that this is an acceptable name for a deck), Chandelure, Six-Corners, and Durant are the decks that are seeing consistently high amounts of play across the board.

EelZone is going to remain around until Magnezone is either rotated, outclassed, or Eelektrik is subbed in for something else. The deck is quick and is benefiting from the addition of Zekrom EX, and a number of new trainers. While this deck may fall from its No.1 spot, it is still going to be a fantastic play.

TyRam has found its place in the metagame, as a top-tier deck, but not the best play. The deck will be benefiting from the new set, but not in the same way that EelZone is, Reshiram EX doesn't mesh with the strategy of TyRam (between recoil damage and Afterburner damage, you are going to have a serious dent in a 2-Prize Pokemon) although a Fliptini or an Evolite could help negate some of that possible damage. I foresee this deck remaining in the metagame, but in the end it is going to have some trouble adjusting to some of the other big hitting EX Pokemon.

CaKE probably won't be around after Next Destinies, while Kyurem's Glaciate may be a frightful attack now, Next Destinies is stepping up the Hit Points and the number of big hitters that are going to be around. Kyurem, Terrakion, and possibly Cobalion are all going to be in the next format, Kyurem's Outrage makes for a clean way to bring down Reshiram EX, Terrakion will be hitting Magnezone and Zekrom EX hard, and Cobalion will be able to lock uncharged EX into the active position, but these cards all hanging around in the same deck does not seem to be logical what with Mewtwo EX and Shaymin EX both being able to punch holes in the deck.

The Truth is going to get a number of new toys from this set. For a deck that relies on big Pokemon and abusing your opponent's inability to knock out your Pokemon, Next Destinies is a dream come true. I see this deck being another huge contender in the next format, but the exact components to the deck are as murky as always. Do Mewtwo EX and Regigigas EX find their way into the deck? Or is it Zekrom EX and Reshiram EX that are going to be the best choice for attackers now?

Chandelure is not going to make it into the next format. Bigger EX Pokemon are going to shirk off any damage that Chandelure places on them, while being able to knock out Chandelure with minimal difficulty.

Six Corners was a format counter, and a reactive deck, the idea of a reactive deck that tries to hit the weaknesses of the format will always be around, and with the number of powerful basics around as well it makes sense that there will be some sort of Meta counter deck. However as the format changes, so will Six-Corners, which runs the risk of being so completely warped by new additions from Next Destinies that it doesn't even resemble this deck.

Durant will probably remain a fringe deck. Durant gains Level Ball and Pokemon Center for support, but neither add a whole lot to the deck. While on the other hand, Durant is now going to have to deal with an increased number of Pokemon that are going to be able to knock it out. In the end Durant is going to remain an unreliable deck with a number of Auto-Losses, which will make it too unreliable of a deck for States.

So from the old format it seems that EelZone and TyRam are going to just be gaining a new attacker with either Reshiram EX or Zekrom EX, but other than that the decks will remain similar to what they are now. The Truth and Six Corners are going to remain in spirit, in that the overall strategy and key players within the deck are going to remain, but Next Destinies is going to reshape these decks.

The cards that are arriving from Next Destinies that are going to have influence are listed below...
Shaymin EX: Change to the Game 4/5 Shaymin EX is going to be adding another dimension to revenge attackers. With Prism Energy, Shaymin becomes an incredibly splashable card. You can even tech a single Grass Energy into your deck in case you start with your Shaymin EX and a Prism Energy in hand, so that you can utilize his first attack. While Shaymin is a little brittle to be having around, especially with it being worth two prizes, Shaymin is going to be a game-changer late in the game, especially if you are losing.

Kyogre EX: Change to the Game 0/5 Aside from its first attack, which is barely helpful in the first place, Kyogre EX is nothing special. Kyurem is a better Water-Type attacker, and it isn't hampered by being worth two prizes. While the second attack may seem usable, you would be better off using either Hydreigon or Kyurem to spread damage.

Mewtwo EX: Change to the Game 5/5 While Mewtwo is definitely overhyped, he is also going to change the game. For a single DCE you are going to be able to swing for 40+ damage, typically landing 60-80 damage. Mewtwo is able to land big hits on some of your opponent's biggest attackers. However Mewtwo is not going to be a deck in and of itself. Gardevoir, Eelektrik, Typhlosion, etc. are not good partners for Mewtwo and are much better when paired with a different attacker. Mewtwo and Gardevoir do make a decent pair, but just as Leafeon and Sceptile were back in the day, these two are not going to be a Tier 1 Deck. There is too much setup, too much danger with Mewtwo's two prizes, and just not enough energy acceleration for Mewtwo to be able to hit the bigger knock outs. Mewtwo is another great splashable tech, especially in any deck that runs DCE. Also as a sidenote, for anybody who claims that Mew Prime wins in the prize tradeoff between Mew and Mewtwo, you are wrong. You lose a Mew when you initially See Off (also if you are just playing a Mew + Jumpluff to counter Mewtwo you are going to have some consistency issues, and you are definitely not going to start with Mew often enough unless you dedicate an absurd amount of your deck just to Mew) and you also lose a Mew after you KO the Mewtwo, as your opponent is going to be able to hit the 60-80 needed to bring down Mew easily.

Level Ball: Change to the Game 4/5 Level Ball gives you the ability to search for any card with 90 or less HP. This gives decks another card that can grab basics early game. I feel reminiscent of the Ball-Engine from Mysterious Treasures, which means that there may be less of a dependency on Collector in a number of decks, which opens up a number of new Supporter options for the first turn.

EXP Share: Change to the Game 1/5 EXP Share does have some capabilities in this new format, but most decks either have more important uses for that space, the ability to recover energy already, or the deck would rather use Evolite. Overall I see EXP Share being a rare tech, or a helpful card in a rogue deck.

Skyarrow Bridge: Change to the Game 4/5 As mentioned in an above post, Skyarrow bridge breathes new life into Celebi Prime, Smeargle, and even Absol Prime. In fact any number of basic Pokemon are now able to retreat freely. However the amount of space that a deck should dedicate to this card in order to be able to retreat your starting Pokemon often is somewhat high. Two or three slots may need to be dedicated in order for your deck to be able to have an effective starter, but Switch will probably also be necessary to the deck what with the number of high-retreat Pokemon still in the format. While I can see this card changing the game, I also feel that a number of players will forego the benefits of the card in order to preserve deckspace.

Prism Energy: Change to the Game 5/5 Prism Energy is one of the biggest additions that will come from this set. Between Prism Energy and Rainbow Energy, it is possible to run a number of different types in a Basic-Pokemon oriented deck. Overall this card is outstanding for any deck that is going to focus heavily on a number of different basic Pokemon.

Chandelure: Change to the Game 1/5 Chandelure provides a decent way to spread damage, as well as a decent main attacker if necessary. However being a Stage 2 Pokemon Chandelure just is not going to see a lot of play. Perhaps a decent addition to Mew's arsenal, now it is possible for Mew to be a decent spreader.

Kyurem EX: Change to the Game 0/5 Kyurem EX is just a bad EX Pokemon. Both of its attacks are lackluster. Aside from a decent weakness and a great pile of HP, this card is simply not useful. Kyurem EX is outclassed by its regular counterpart, which is at least able to deal quick and easy damage from its Outrage attack.

Gardevoir: Change to the Game 2/5 Gardevoir is going to spawn a number of rogue decks, anything from Darmantian to Mewtwo EX can be used along with Gardevoir, but in the end the deck is just not going to be effective on a large scale. The setup is difficult and the damage output is high, but at the cost of a number of energy. I know Gardevoir will get play, but if the past is any indicator, this card will be hyped and played more than it deserves. It makes for a good strategy and a decent deck, but not anything that will shift the metagame.

Groudon EX: Change to the Game 3/5 Groudon is not an extraordinary card in its own right. Its first attack is pretty good, and its second attack is also usable. However its HP, typing, and resistance are what makes it shine. Groudon is one of the better Magnezone counters created. Groudon also works decently with either Lucario or Donphan Prime to make for a decent late-game sweeper. I would like to see Groudon receive some play, but I don't know how well Groudon can handle some of the other EX Pokemon.

Lucario: Change to the Game 1/5 Lucario is a decent card, one which will make for a good starting attacker in a Groudon deck. However aside from that, Lucario is just not a strong enough card in the new format to be able to stand on its own.

Bronzong: Change to the Game 1/5 Bronzong is not going to be widely played, if at all. However decks like The Truth, Groudon, Mewtwo, and Regigigas are going to try to preserve their EX Pokemon through healing, this makes Bronzong a possible play in order to prevent just that. However due to Catcher, I only see Bronzong being a possible play in Trainer Lock decks.

Regigigas EX: Change to the Game 2/5 Regigigas may be the next card to be big in The Truth. Regigigas uses DCE, has a large amount of HP, and a powerful Outrage-esque attack. Aside from that Regigigas may find his way into a couple other rogue decks, but nothing much past that.

Heavy Ball: Change to the Game 2/5 Heavy Ball has a small range of Pokemon that it can search, but being able to grab Magnezone Prime, Regigigas, Groudon, Kyogre, Kyurem, Mewtwo, and a number of other Pokemon warrants a look at this card.

Cilan: Change to the Game 2/5 Grabbing basic energy from your deck and placing them into your hand is a useful thing to have around, however there is a move to even more special energy, as well as a number of other ways to accelerate energy to begin with. A single tech of this card will be about the only play that it sees, but it does provide some decks with the extra energy that it may need.

Pokemon Center: Change to the Game 1/5 With Skyarrow Bridge rivaling this card for deckspace, Pokemon Center is only going to see play in the decks that really do need it. The Truth can use this card to keep the overall amount of damage on the field lower, while TyRam can use this card to avoid Afterburner damage.

Zekrom EX: Change to the Game 5/5 Zekrom EX is one of the best EX Pokemon to be released in Next Destinies. It works perfectly with EelZone, and it can deal a consistent 150 damage as long as you are able to keep the energy coming. Pachirisu and Shaymin are also possibilities to get the energy onto Zekrom.

Reshiram EX: Change to the Game 4/5 Reshiram EX is also going to have a huge influence on the format now working with TyRam, however the recoil damage from its attack and the damage from Afterburner make Reshiram a less reliable attacker than Zekrom.

Ultra Ball: Change to the Game 5/5 Probably one of the biggest cards to come out of the set, this card is also going to be played in almost every deck. Any deck that requires cards be placed into the discard pile, Even with decks that do not need cards in the discard pile, Ultra Ball is still one of the best ways to search for a Pokemon around, and at least one copy should make its way into every deck.

Random Receiver: Change to the Game 0/5 A quirky card that may show some usefulness down the line, Random Receiver is a way to make sure that you always have a supporter to play. This card would probably work better in a deck that runs a Ball-Engine so you don't run as high of a risk of hitting a useless Collector later in the game.

Conclusion
Overall I feel that this format is going to have decks that are built around EX Pokemon. EelZone will alter its playstyle to incorporate Zekrom EX, just as TyRam will for Reshiram. Groudon will be paired with Lucario for an early game attacker. Mewtwo will be paired with Gardevoir for energy acceleration. Regigigas will be paired with Vileplume and Reuniclus as the centerpiece for the new version of The Truth. Kyogre and Kyurem are not going to see much play, leading to a decent environment for Reshiram, although not a totally ideal environment as Kyurem NV will still be around. Shaymin and Mewtwo will both become common techs, and a number of trainers will work their way into the decks of the format.

First off, google Cawthon was the one who called it The Truth. Before that came out, it was often called googlebox or Epic Rogue, but I think its largely out of respect for the fact he wanted it to be called The Truth (if you see the championship deck sets, google's is officially named The Truth).

I have to disagree with Shaymin-EX being worth anything. If you're using it to KO a non-EX, they'll revenge KO you and you lose the prize exchange. If you're using it to KO an EX, good luck with that, because no other EX other than Shaymin itself can actually be OHKOed by Shaymin, then they OHKO back. Then there's the fact its got a 2 energy requirement, so its unbelievably easy to Catcher+KO it before it charged and now the Shaymin user is down 2 prizes....although I would've used my Catcher on something else, since the Shaymin dies as soon as it gets active anyway. It also hits nothing for weakness. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Shaymin is the worst card in the set, and would be only somewhat useful if they removed the EX rule from it.

Mewtwo...why is it a good tech? With Gothitelle dead, nothing in the entire format has a weakness to Mewtwo except Mewtwo itself, and X-Ball doesn't hit for nearly enough damage if you aren't hitting for weakness. Also, Mew does beat Mewtwo. You bring up Mewtwo hit something for non-weakness and I laugh. I drop a Mew, switch it in, See Off something. X-Ball KOs my first Mew, I bring up a second and revenge KO Mewtwo. We're tied on prizes, the next time you drop a Mewtwo I can easily go up on prizes, and now its my turn instead of yours and with many decks in the EX format, 1 turn=1 prize when set up.

Kyurem EX is the next thing I disagree with. Yes, on its own its attacks are awful, its weakness is meh with Cobalion in the format (bound to be more popular with EXes and their 2 prize rule+huge retreat). However, its got better attacks than Kyogre, so it will see play in The Truth as their water type.

Groudon is useless imo. In this format, he 2HKOs anything he doesn't hit for weakness and OHKOs anything he does hit for weakness, making him completely inferior to Terrakion due to Terrakion doing the same thing essentially for the same amount of energy, Terrakion has more health per prize. EXes essentially only have 85 to 90 health per prize (aside from Shaymin's laughable 55 health per prize) while Terrakion's got 130 health per prize, a better weakness (I think...Groudon's weakness is water right?) and a much better first attack that can do everything Groudon's second attack can do, but cheaper, so long as you lost a Pokemon in the last turn.

Reshiram EX...I'm sick of it already. Why are people putting him in TyRam? That's just plain silly. It's like, accelerator was good for another attacker, just because the new attacker has similar artwork I'm going to use the same accelerator instead of a 100% superior one. Let's do some pros and cons here.

Emboar with Reshiram EX, compared to Typhlosion with Reshiram EX:

Pros:
-Can charge up a Reshiram EX in just a single turn with just 1 Emboar.
-Makes it much easier to get a Reshiram EX using its second attack on turn 2.
-Doesn't place damage counters on Reshiram EX.
-Has more hp.
-Can charge up his own attack in a single turn, making his attack better than Typhlosion'a
Cons:
-Has a higher retreat cost, which doesn't actually matter since you'd be running Switch in -TyRam in case they drag up an uncharged Reshiram EX.

Typhlosion with Reshiram EX, compared to Emboar with Typhlosion EX:
Pros: None
Cons:
-Needs 2 Typhlosion to charge up a Reshiram in a turn, and that's if you have a DCE. If you don't, you need 3 Typhlosion.
-Basically impossible to get Reshiram EX using its second attack on turn 2, you need a DCE and a Fire in hand turn 1, and a Fire in the discard turn 2.
-Places damage counters on Reshiram EX, which combined with recoil makes it have too little health and makes it lose the prize exchange against EXes.
-Has less HP than Emboar, making it easier to be OHKOed after being Catchered.
Damages itself when it attaches to retreat or attack (unless you have a DCE, which is doubtful) making it even easier to OHKO.
-Needs energy in the discard to work, but there is no way of this deck reliably getting energy in the discard.

tl;dr:
Emboar:
Pros: Everything
Cons: Nothing
Typhlosion:
Pros: Nothing
Cons: Everything

Why are people wanting use Reshiram EX with Typhlosion?!

Nobody will play Reshiram with Emboar. Doesn't make sense why you wouldn't player Emboar. Reshiboar may incorporate Reshiram EX, but TyRam won't.

The deck Cake will not be around after Next Destinies but I can see a EX Electrode toolbox working or seeing a bit of play.

Shaymin.... I sure hope you have your facts mixed up or this is a bad translation, but either way Shaymin won't see play, especially if Shaymin's maximum damage output is 60 damage. The real problem is that Shaymin can be knocked out so easily. If you start Shaymin, Zekrom can donk you. Not only is that amazing for an EX, but it just shows how low the HP is. If the two prize rule was not in effect, then it wouldn't be a problem, but after three Shaymin have been knocked out, the game is already over. Terrakion on the other hand does 30 more damage, has a better typing, a better weakness, 130 HP, and doesn't give a second prize. It can ohko Magnezone and Zekrom EX. Though retreat could be a pain, I think the pros outdo the cons in this situation.

Pros of Shaymin

Low Retreat Cost

Cons:

Low HP
Bad type
Bad weakness
Pathetic Revenge Attach (60? Really?)
Gives two prizes

Pros of Terrakion:

Higher HP
Great typing
Good weakness
1 Prize

Cons:

Bad Pokémon to start with because of high retreat cost.

So basically Shaymin's cons are all things Terrakion has. Terrakion is better.

For Mewtwo, I admit I do not see Eel or Gardevoir working very well with Mewtwo, and I don't know where you got Typhlosion because Typhlosion is bad in this deck (placing damage counter isn't great, energies having to be discarded isn't great), but I could see Emboar working with Mewtwo and Reshiram/EX. This is because it is not very hard to set up a single Stage 2, and also I do have a small form of drawpower that doesn't work amazingly, but isn't bad- Shuckle. You pile energy on Shuckle, Seeker/SSU/Unown, and do it again as long as you know you have a way to pick them back up. It will sort of be like an Emboar toolbox and RDLboar combined.

Heavy ball can get a lot of Pokémon, but cannot get Mewtwo. Heavy Ball gets Pokémon with a retreat cost of three or higher.

Dawn of Xatu said:
Reshiram EX: Change to the Game 4/5 Reshiram EX is also going to have a huge influence on the format now working with TyRam, however the recoil damage from its attack and the damage from Afterburner make Reshiram a less reliable attacker than Zekrom.

You just said why not to use Typhlosion. Emboar however will see play with it. Emboar can set it up in one turn, and fliptini and Eviolite limit the recoil damage.

For Ultra Ball, I agree with it will be big, but in some cases Pokémon Communication is better. In The Truth for example, you'll have a ton of Pokémon so you'll almost always be able to use it, and discarding cards from your hand can be very bad for you late game. Often there won't be things you'll need/want to discard until after the lock is up.

In my opinion, EXs won't be very bad for the format. The add new possibilities without breaking anything. Anyone who thinks Mewtwo EX is going to be good is correct, but anyone who things Mewtwo is broken has just boarded the hype train.

Grr, I just started building Chandelure, and now it's going to be bleh. No worries. I'll be the loser at the tournament who's playing it.

Dark Void said:
It also hits nothing for weakness.

hi

Anyway, uh, I really don't have much else to say other than what's been said, but I predict many players will still use Pokemon Communication and Ultra Ball as a 2/2 split. Like Glaceon said, there's some decks where you just can't discard the cards when you need to use Ultra Ball. Pokemon Communication is that safety net for Ultra Ball, so I expect to still see it played. If Ultra Ball was exactly like Computer Search, I would drop Communication altogether.

First off, that translation is incorrect, check the one on Pokebeach. It makes for a much more usable Shaymin EX, although I will admit that it does have some low HP. However who is to say that later in the game, when I am down by a couple of prizes, I can't drop Shaymin EX and a regular Shaymin, and start swinging for 120+ damage for the remainder of the game. With a couple of well placed Catchers, one could win out the prize tradeoff late in the game.

Thanks for the reasoning behind the decks name. I don't actually understand what he was going for with that one, but eh, it's his deck and he definitely does deserve some say in the decks name.

With Mewtwo it is a useful tech because it can be set up in one turn and attack that same turn if you have a Switch of free retreat on your active. So you can drop a Mewtwo for a surprise 80+ attack which will normally net you a prize, if not two. Then your opponent may drop a Mew if he decided to waste the deckspace on the cards, but you take another prize. Then your opponent will knock out Mewtwo EX, but by then you should have a way to revenge kill a Mew. So now it is your turn with the prize tradeoff being 3-4 versus your 2. As a tech card, Mewtwo is useful as a revenge attacker, similar to Bouffalant, but with a much higher HP and possible damage output.

Kyurem EX will not be the next Water card in The Truth when regular Kyurem has a decent amount of HP, less retreat, no two-prize rule, and can actually abuse Outrage with Reuniclus. Kyurem EX will not see play, unless Special Energy become a huge cornerstone in all of the major decks.

Groudon EX has a quick setup, a fairly straightforward strategy, a good typing, and is relatively longliving. It isn't going to be the BDIF by any stretch of the imagination, but it does have some incredibly useful attributes.

As for Reshiram EX and Emboar, I will admit that they make for a decent couple, I honestly just forgot about Emboar when I was righting this yesterday (or was that today I've lost my grip on time lately) so yeah those two would make for a better couple than TyRam, I've just never been a fan of Emboar due to its high retreat cost.

Glaceon: So you believe a Magneboar (with Reshiram Ex) will be able to stand up longer against say Zekrom Ex and Eelektrik or even Mewtwo and friends? Also, since Mewtwo will be the counter Mewtwo how do you feel about most decks incorporating at least 2 of them?

DawnOfXatu said:
First off, that translation is incorrect, check the one on Pokebeach. It makes for a much more usable Shaymin EX, although I will admit that it does have some low HP. However who is to say that later in the game, when I am down by a couple of prizes, I can't drop Shaymin EX and a regular Shaymin, and start swinging for 120+ damage for the remainder of the game. With a couple of well placed Catchers, one could win out the prize tradeoff late in the game.

And is then ko'd, giving more prizes than it takes. If you don't have Shaymin, or don't use it late game, its bad. How many decks use Shaymin? 2.

With Mewtwo it is a useful tech because it can be set up in one turn and attack that same turn if you have a Switch of free retreat on your active. So you can drop a Mewtwo for a surprise 80+ attack which will normally net you a prize, if not two. Then your opponent may drop a Mew if he decided to waste the deckspace on the cards, but you take another prize. Then your opponent will knock out Mewtwo EX, but by then you should have a way to revenge kill a Mew. So now it is your turn with the prize tradeoff being 3-4 versus your 2. As a tech card, Mewtwo is useful as a revenge attacker, similar to Bouffalant, but with a much higher HP and possible damage output.

I see it being used as a tech, but only in decks with the energy acceleration to get it out.

Kyurem EX will not be the next Water card in The Truth when regular Kyurem has a decent amount of HP, less retreat, no two-prize rule, and can actually abuse Outrage with Reuniclus. Kyurem EX will not see play, unless Special Energy become a huge cornerstone in all of the major decks.

Kyurem has decent HP, but not necessarily enough. The EXs can ko it. Cobalion can ko it. None can ohko Kyurem EX (180 HP, correct?)

Groudon EX has a quick setup, a fairly straightforward strategy, a good typing, and is relatively longliving. It isn't going to be the BDIF by any stretch of the imagination, but it does have some incredibly useful attributes.

I see it seeing play in The Truth. It can 2hko EXs with no drawbacks such as damage or discarding, nd needs just 3 energy.

As for Reshiram EX and Emboar, I will admit that they make for a decent couple, I honestly just forgot about Emboar when I was righting this yesterday (or was that today I've lost my grip on time lately) so yeah those two would make for a better couple than TyRam, I've just never been a fan of Emboar due to its high retreat cost.

"So you believe a Magneboar (with Reshiram Ex) will be able to stand up longer against say Zekrom Ex and Eelektrik or even Mewtwo and friends? Also, since Mewtwo will be the counter Mewtwo how do you feel about most decks incorporating at least 2 of them?/"

Possibly. Magnezone can knock out Exs in one hit, and Zekrom Eel isn't very good because Eel only attaches to the bench. I will put at least one Mewtwo into my decks that can properly use Mewtwo.

So the real question that should be posed is whether or not Mewtwo should have a deck built around him or if he is just better as a tech card. We have already seen Mewtwo tearing up all over Japan; so much so that people have either been playing Mewtwo or counter Mewtwo, but I just don't know. I love the card but I feel like it's easier to reap the benefits while it is a tech card instead of a main.

DawnOfXatu said:
The HP ruins it. It has to hit above 120 to be worth-it, so they've already taken four prizes when that happens. If they can get one more KO on a 110HP Pokémon, they win. However, it's definitely an interesting Truth counter.

Thanks for the reasoning behind the decks name. I don't actually understand what he was going for with that one, but eh, it's his deck and he definitely does deserve some say in the decks name.
google discovered The Truth.
The Truth is out there.

It's a fun name imo.

I believe Mewtwo-EX will be the choice Mewtwo-EX counter, not Mew. It's more splashable, takes less setup, and is less frail. It's also a good attacker outside of the Mewtwo matchup.

I thought you were writing it xP

Back