Pokemon TCG Live Expected to Launch Globally Next Month!

It's been rough lately for Pokemon mobile games. GO isn't advancing in any meaningful capacity and has a billion issues on its own, Unite screwed up the release of one of the most anticipated Pokemon yet and is only increasingly falling out of favor with its fans, and TCG Live has been delayed for 9 whole months. Seriously, what is going on? I am genuinely confused how 3 different games made by 3 different teams under one franchise can all screw up so badly and so consistently. Well, hey, us mainline players are gonna be eating real nicely soon ?

And they still don't have a timeline for expanded and still no news for nintendo switch support.
It's not releasing on Switch. Remember that this has no backing at all from Japan, so the scope will never be as high as you'd like.

The time-line has for Pokémon Live has moved up, PTGL will probably go live; start of Gen 9, announcement during their Spring Nintendo Direct, or announcement/reveal at World's 2023 (the latter two with an official date) for the official switch over from Online to Live.
It's not going to ever be in a Nintendo Direct.

Really taking their time with this huh, code cards have been telling people to download an unreleased game for months now.

The time-line has for Pokémon Live has moved up, PTGL will probably go live; start of Gen 9, announcement during their Spring Nintendo Direct, or announcement/reveal at World's 2023 (the latter two with an official date) for the official switch over from Online to Live.
Did you forget about the annual pokemon day presentation?

PTCGL is not a Nintendo title, but a PC one, so the switchover could be announced there...

Last edited:
Did you forget about the annual pokemon day presentation?

PTCGL is not a Nintendo title, but a PC one, so the switchover could be announced there...
It's not even a TPC game. It's TPCi. It won't be at any presentation, just as how neither PTCGO nor PTCGL has ever been presented up to now. Pokemon Presents are also the same in all regions, so announcing a game that's not officially releasing in Asia at all doesn't make sense there. It'll be announced via a press release.

I suspect that they’ll hold off on doing Expanded until TPCi decides to either add a point-based restriction system á la Japan’s Palace/Hall of Fame format or they say ”screw it” and rotate out BW and XY sets for balancing purposes. Oh, and AFAIK there haven’t been any notable Expanded tournaments for a good while.

And as far as Nintendo Switch support is concerned I’m just going to assume that it was something that just wasn’t in the cards during development since this is a TPCi-fronted venture, the TCGO had text in its TOS that mentioned Nintendo consoles in the past but it was altered.
Expanded and Standard tournaments both ground to a halt at the start of the pandemic. To my knowledge, TPCI intends to phase expanded back into sanctioned play, albeit slowly. Last I had heard from the competitive players I know, the tenative plan is to reintroduce the expanded format somtime late in the 2023 season. As such, I suspect they won't add it to live until then.

Expanded and Standard tournaments both ground to a halt at the start of the pandemic. To my knowledge, TPCI intends to phase expanded back into sanctioned play, albeit slowly. Last I had heard from the competitive players I know, the tenative plan is to reintroduce the expanded format somtime late in the 2023 season. As such, I suspect they won't add it to live until then.

It's about time they made a second eternal format. It's like in Magic, I loved modern in the past, but eternal formats tend to devolve into degeneracy as time progresses and broken cards/interactions pile up. I don't think doing what Magic did with pioneer would be enough for pokemon though, the powercreep has made sure that any format like that would be largely dominated by pokémon of the S&S era, with some TagTeams thrown in the mix here and there. Honestly the best formats I have played are Legacy and GLC. I think I would prefer to try out a format like...BW through Steam Siege rather than a S&M onwards format or something like that. In other words, I tend to prefer formats that have defined and set in stone cutouts, than ever-growing ones like "X set onwards" type formats. Btw I heard a while back that S&M era-only format was pretty good.

I have at least 600 code cards I didn't redeem that I otherwise would have since this game's dusting system was announced, and will have 150ish more after Silver Tempest. Looking forward to redeeming all those, and then getting playsets of Secret Rare Quick Ball, Switch, Escape Rope, Rare Candy, etc etc for dirt cheap compared to trading 50-100 of the latest packs for them like in PTCGO.
Did they remove the limits on code redemption? I was so frustrated to hear was was capped at ~500/account at one point but haven't kept up with the news. If anyone knows I'd really appreciate it!

Did they remove the limits on code redemption? I was so frustrated to hear was was capped at ~500/account at one point but haven't kept up with the news. If anyone knows I'd really appreciate it!
No, but it's 400 per set, not per account total.

Here are how the limits work:
Each Booster Set has a 400 code redeem limit.
Each Promo, which includes, but not limited to Tins, Collection Boxes, Blister Line Promos, are 4 limit.
The exceptions to this is just the V-Union Boxes not named Pikachu V-Union, those are limited to 1.
All Prerelease Build and Battle Kits has a limit of 25.
All ETB Sleeves/Worlds Replica/Worlds Attendee sets has a limit of 1.

Side note: 400 limit per set is plenty to buy every playable in a set in highest rarity even if your pulls in the 400 packs are all terrible.

I guess the logic is to prevent people from buying a thousand or more codes for literally cents per pack, none of which goes into The Pokemon Company's pocket. I am currently sitting on 298 Brilliant Stars codes from physical products I bought, and without buying any more Brilliant Stars Boxes or ETBs I imagine by the time that pack stops being included in various products (tins, boxes, etc etc) it can easily pass 350 total. I really would have liked for the limit to have been 500, but I'm sure some people would then chime in that they'd prefer it was even higher than that.

Ugh... I’m still not a fan of this switch, there are still some issues with with the TCGL client (crafting still having certain limits being the main one) that’ll keep me away from it until I have no choice BUT to make the switch. The fact that’ll more than likely become available next month isn’t something I’m looking forward to.

Beta testing areas are generally kept to smaller secondary markets for stress testing and for weeding out bugs, if you do this in a primary market you run the risk of harming your products bottom line.
I think they should release it but still allow the other to be used. The fact they are taking out the trading part of pokemon live is annoying in and of itself. It also kind of ruins the entire point of the "Trading" in tcgo. I dont like Live at all.

I think they should release it but still allow the other to be used. The fact they are taking out the trading part of pokemon live is annoying in and of itself. It also kind of ruins the entire point of the "Trading" in tcgo. I dont like Live at all.
Who's gonna pay for the servers?

There are zero modern day digital card games that has in-game trading, and there is a very good reason for that.
Trading on digital platforms is predatory, and hard to keep in control. If you give a loophole, these people will take it and go for a joyride.
Given access to mobile, and the people that will play it. It will even be harder to control trading.

The switch to Live is a termination of the freeloading mindset that has been around for 10 years, and this "hangover" effect that has been long overdue. The longer the behavior has been, the worse the hangover is.

To put it into perspective, I have brought every single cheap code (less than $10 USD for 50 codes) out there for almost all the sets, save one, and I brought every single meta thing in the last 9 months at highest rarity, including full playset of SR Basic Energies, and I am still are set for the next 3 year's worth of releases.

There is one older set that I have not touched yet, and I will making a video of opening 400 of that cheap old set during Silver Tempest release to show how 400 codes of any set can get you every playable in the new set at highest rarity. Trading may be more "fun", but that fun is at the cost of preying on desperate people just trying to get the cards to play. This is not how a digital platform is supposed to be. More than half the people on PTCGO don't really play the game, they are only in it for the trading simulator. This is why you have people that just want fast donk games to get coins to post trades.

And yes, I know, trading and collecting is an aspect to the game. However, I would say in my personal opinion, that the last 2 years of irl scalpers, and social media influencers jumping on the investment hype has taken away what a tabletop game is supposed to be about. It is about time for a reality check, and we can at least have a digital platform that is solely about playing the game,

Finally, its about time! Been waiting for the new client for quite a while. Im personally just tired of PTCGO. Its dated and flawed and just needs to go

Finally, its about time! Been waiting for the new client for quite a while. Im personally just tired of PTCGO. Its dated and flawed and just needs to go
Sadly, Live is also dated and flawed with even fewer features lol. The devs seem to listen though, so over the years I'd at least expect advancement, where PTCGO was basically on cruise control from day one.

So what's the general consensus of how to proceed? Hold off on claiming codes in PTCGO and don't open any packs or products you already have on your account? Isn't there going to be a gift of crafting materials in Live based on how many packs you have in PTCGO?

Back