Spin-Off 'Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon' Launching Winter 2015

I know, and I thought it was annoying - I bought the game, and now you're making me pay EXTRA for dungeons? Still, the characters were fun and the music was great, so I won't mind even if there is DLC in SMD.
I don't care, as long as all/most mon are in-game and it isn't as easy as GTI.

Still, I suppose the Americans usually getting the games before us is a good thing; after all, you guys can test the games before it comes here and we can see if they're worth buying, haha!
To be fair, we should be used to Americans getting games before us anyway, reminds me of the good ol' days.

I don't care, as long as all/most mon are in-game and it isn't as easy as GTI.
Yeah, and some more starter choices would be nice. I wanna be a fennekin! Knowing gen six, there'll be lots of pokémon from all generations. It sucked in XY, but it'll be great here.

I'm sure it's not freemium, if it was, wouldn't it have been mentioned and the releases would br close together?

If they brought back the personality test, it should be optional, not everyone likes it.
I wonder about the future Gen 6 forms, Mega Evolutions, and possible Primal Reversions, will they be added in as DLC? No reason not to as this would probably be the only Mystery Dungeon game for Gen 6.

Well I was sure wrong. I didn't think we'd get a new Mystery Dungeon game after GtI. Still though, I have a bad feeling about this announcement, considering 6th gen's track record with spinoffs and the fairly generic name it doesn't sound like it's going to live up to expectations. It seems more like it's going to be GtI with 6th gen Pokemon.

Oh I so hope these games are better than GTI.

I doubt it's freemium, why would they tell us about it and then make us wait 6 or so months?

Let's get a game more like Explorers of ______ or ___ Rescue Team, those were amazing games.

Last edited:
Hope this isn't freenium, the pay or wait format is definitely less exciting :c I liked the pixel art and small icons of the first two generations of PMD games. The 3D models for Gates to Infinity removed that charming aspect from PMD. Hopefully this one has a better art style.

To everyone saying they're worried because of the title, I can assure you that the game will be good and the title had a minor problem called...ARTIST BLOCK, just that! :p

I have good hopes on this game because, unlike GTI, the logo is similar to the past games. The japanese logo even use the stylized character with two question marks, which wasn't used in the GTI logo.

Attachments

• logo comparison.png
    logo comparison.png
    852.4 KB · Views: 16
I have good hopes on this game because, unlike GTI, the logo is similar to the past games. The japanese logo even use the stylized character with two question marks, which wasn't used in the GTI logo.
Yeah, I noticed that. Gen six has been all about pandering to the fans of earlier games, so I have high hopes for this game. The Pokémon.com description sounds rather promising, too.

"First, how do you satisfy the core while still expanding appeal? And second, how do you leverage your strengths against entirely untapped audiences--to the so-called "blue oceans" in popular marketing speak? ... Provide a new product that actually underperforms on an established industry metric for "progress," and substitute an alternative that typically is smaller, less expensive and easier to use. Initially, the "core" of any industry will scoff. But if the product is right, enough new users will be attracted to form an alternative definition for progress."
-Reggie Fils-Aime

What pay2play games do to the market, and why GTI is defended by some

"First, how do you satisfy the core while still expanding appeal? And second, how do you leverage your strengths against entirely untapped audiences--to the so-called "blue oceans" in popular marketing speak? ... Provide a new product that actually underperforms on an established industry metric for "progress," and substitute an alternative that typically is smaller, less expensive and easier to use. Initially, the "core" of any industry will scoff. But if the product is right, enough new users will be attracted to form an alternative definition for progress."
-Reggie Fils-Aime

What pay2play games do to the market, and why GTI is defended by some
I've never seen ANYONE defend GTI. And for good reason, too.

I've never seen ANYONE defend GTI. And for good reason, too.

If you look hard enough, they aren't too hard to find. I mean you can even find a few in the last page of comments.

I've had really annoying friends who were staunch defenders of the game.

Well, 'Super' hasn't always been bad in games.
Take Super Paper Mario. That wasn't a horrible title to many. It just was different with it's style of gameplay. Well, however this reasoning could be wrong because this as made before DLC.

Super in itself could also bring about a change to pokemon Mystery Dungeon, gameplay-wise. I have no ideas though. Or it could be F2P. Time will tell.

Now, what really gets to me is the Gold Backing on the logo. No other game in the PMD saga has used gold logos, or any metallic logo. It may either seem cheesy, or a quality of perfection that Pokemon wants to establish in this game.

The color change in "Mystery Dungeon" also gets to me. Reversing yellow to blue, contrasing colors. This contrast in the logo could have been decided because Pokemon wanted to make sure that this game was going to be different than the rest. However, as it's logo is similar to previous ones in font, maybe this game might also feel more familiar, probably more familiar than Gates to Infinity.

Now thinking optimistically, the quality of this game being F2P wouldn't be all that bad either. PMD games are already sectioned into days. One day in PSMD could be made equal to one real time day, and thus money would be required to skip to the next day. With that, A real Day/Night system could be instituted into the game, and that might be appealing. Also, waiting an amount of time between adventures and going from day to day at a slow pace could offer a more rich experience. Or if that sounds dumb, you're probably right. I'm reasoning with nostalgia here.

Overall, don't lose hope in this game yet!

Back