Pokemon Pokemon name pronunciation guide... Should they make one?

Should The Pokemon Company make a name pronunciation guide for the Pokemon Species?

• Yes

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
FireMeowth said:
Should they make one...
Well, guess what - THEY ALREADY HAVE ONE FOR THE 5TH GEN!

That's right, the official - published by TPCi's own Pikachu Press, even - Unova sticker book includes the pronunciation of all Pokémon names from Victini to Kyurem!

And in October, they'll release a similar book for all 5 generations - hopefully it'll include the same info for all of them (and maybe even Keldeo and Meloetta considering it's released after B2/W2)!

is it available in the USA? o_O

And from what I've seen in the pics it's only got stickers... O.O

Cooltrainer Alan said:
Another confusing one is Roserade. I called it Roser-aid for the longest time but then started calling it rose-raid.

wait... It's supposed to be pronounced with 2 syllables? not 3? O.O WUT?

So it's rose-raid, not ro-ser-aid?

So wait is it Rose-lia and not ro-se-lia?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, why can't people say Cofagrigus' name right?

I'm kind of a stickler when it comes to pronunciation of Pokemon names, myself.

I pronounce Rayquaza as "Ray-kwah-zah", simply because it sounds more natural to me. But I know that the correct pronunciation is "Ray-kway-zah"

Raikou would be pronounced "Rye-koh" if you speak Japanese, but the rules of English pronunciation say that "kou" makes a "koo" sound. So I'd say "Rye-Koo" is probably the proper way of saying it.

Personally, my favourite Pokemon to debate name pronunciation is Suicune. I pronounce it "Swee-koon".

Everyone at my league calls Kyurem ky-room. We used to call Kecleon kel-see-on and for my brother, Raikou rye-cow. (don't ask.) Unrelated, but my brother calls anime uh-neem. *facepalm*

I used to call Rattata 'Rat---- wait, now that I'm focusing on the pronunciations, I can't seem to remember what I called them and what they really are -.-;

MonsterHunter909 said:
Is it pronounced caf-a-gree-gus? A lot of people i know pronounce kyogre keye-o-gre instead of keye-ogre.
It's coe-fuh-GREE-jus.

cough-a-GREE-gus

Makes the most sense to me given the etymology and "gu" in english is always a hard g

Let's get the official verdict, why don't we?

"[kof-uh-GREE-guss]"

Yep.

EDIT:
Pokédex 3D Pro also has the Pokédex voice say the names of all the Pokémon you look at.

The only problem is when people make up half the name and don't even bother checking the order of the letters...

I'm also allergic on people typing Ninetails, Victrebell and all that e_e

So what's the supposed official one for Arceus?

Even though Ive seen people say "Arkeeus" among other things, Ive always been very confident the right way is "Arseeus", like in some greek mythological names like Zeus.. or even closer, Perseus.

I've always wondered what the correct pronunciation is for Kyurem and Arceus. I usually go with Kye-urem and Ark-eeus, but Kyu-rem and Arseeus have started to grow on me.

I also used to pronounce Loo-car-ee-oh as Loo-sare-ee-oh until I looked up the correct pronunciation.

KYOO-rem (キュレム)
ARS-ee-us (アルセウス)

Also apparently, Pokedex 3D Pro will pronounce the Pokemon names for you. That doesn't, however, guarantee they're right - they pronounce Virizion "vir-EYE-zee-un" (like Verizon, but with an extra letter), instead of the proper "vi-RI-zee-on" (ビリジオン).

I always pronounced Kyurem as "kye-yoo-rehm"
Nooby sounding?
I knew a lot of people who pronounced Palkia as "pahl-kee-uh" and it bothered me. Same with "ray-kwah-zuh"

I have this book on all the Pokemon found in D/P with some older generations as well. Not sure if there are any mistakes though.

I used to have a friend who kept insisting Groudon was pronounced Groo-don. I can see how it could make some sense, but just look at the darn root word. Moving on, I pronounced Arceus Arr-see-uss until the movie for it came out, at which point I started calling it Arr-kee-uss. To this day, I don't understand why, as the first pronunciation made much more sense. There is also Kyurem, which I called Ky-yu-rem until I heard commercials for B2/W2, and then it was Kee-yu-rem. On a slightly less related note, when I was, like, 3 or 4, I would always pronounce Sapphire as Sad-a-fire for some weird reason.

I've seen kids do horrible jobs at unaltered legendary names at league. A pronounciation book will not help them. It's like telling a kid how Kyurem is pronounced and he insists on calling it "Kaiyurem" or "Kayrem"

The saddest I've seen is an older player who's been a fan since Gen 1 pronounce Raichu as "Rayachu"

Back