Pokemon Competitors Arrested for Threatening Gun Violence at Worlds

Spiffo

Aspiring Trainer
You make them sound worse than they actually are. They weren't going to do anything. They're just proud of the fact that they have guns, which is awesome. Maybe they shouldn't have posted that, but they had no intent of doing anything. They are just law biding citizens who want to protect themselves from people who are threats.
I'd argue that the people who are threats include the people who make threats.

But hey, Despite saying (joking) they want to kill the competition with guns and then bringing guns to the competition, we'll never know what really went on in their heads. Maybe they were casing the joint first, or maybe they were just gonna have a lil chuckle at their "we could totally shoot everyone here" inside joke. Until shots are actually fired, we'll never know...

Out of curiosity, what would they have had to do to be considered a plausible threat, if them literally making a plausible threat isn't enough?

I know EXs are overpowered, but this is ridiculous!

Sorry, I've been wanting to make that joke for quite a while.
ha ha ha

PG24

<Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
Advanced Member
Wow, Worlds really dodged a bullet this time.

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
You make them sound worse than they actually are. They weren't going to do anything. They're just proud of the fact that they have guns, which is awesome. Maybe they shouldn't have posted that, but they had no intent of doing anything. They are just law biding citizens who want to protect themselves from people who are threats.

During the court hearing, it was revealed that Norton had been banned from a fan forum the week of worlds. When asked about the mod that banned him, he said 'it's alright, I'll just shoot him on Friday'.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Ill tell you what i know....despite your own assumption of purchasing discount ammo while driving their pink cars over rainbows and collecting 1-ups from pots of gold along the way, if you need that type of weapon & that much ammo to "protect" yourself, you need another hobby.

I am so confused now; because I know people that go through large amounts of ammunition because target shooting is a hobby. Hunting is a hobby. So should I be looking out for 1-ups and pots of gold now?

I suggested not rushing to judgment until we had all facts. That goes for me as well as for you and everyone else; that doesn't mean I'm excusing the behavior but rather this is so serious that I want to make sure when a conclusion is reached it is ironclad. At first since I actually have met the person, played at the same League and events as he did, I gave in to the urge to down play it. Through in the types that post a bunch of "gun facts" that are both incorrect and politically charged, and while trying to avoid a kneejerk reactions one way, I went the other way (I didn't know I was so flexible). Good news is... I decided to remove my head from my posterior. I'd kindly invite others to do likewise.

Credits

Thundurus from Downundurus
I am so confused now; because I know people that go through large amounts of ammunition because target shooting is a hobby. Hunting is a hobby. So should I be looking out for 1-ups and pots of gold now?

I suggested not rushing to judgment until we had all facts. That goes for me as well as for you and everyone else; that doesn't mean I'm excusing the behavior but rather this is so serious that I want to make sure when a conclusion is reached it is ironclad. At first since I actually have met the person, played at the same League and events as he did, I gave in to the urge to down play it. Through in the types that post a bunch of "gun facts" that are both incorrect and politically charged, and while trying to avoid a kneejerk reactions one way, I went the other way (I didn't know I was so flexible). Good news is... I decided to remove my head from my posterior. I'd kindly invite others to do likewise.
You can suggest what you want. I havent posted any facts just my opinion based on others comments here and what I know and despite the laws, constitutional amendments or rights are in this country these people made a bad choice and need to be dealt with accordingly. Also despite that nothing happened, I DONT CARE. What has been clearly presented to me shows intent to go through with it. Thank the lord (and im not religious) they were stupid enough to post about it and the authorities did something about it when they did and they searched their vehicle and they arrested them because if they didnt, who knows what would or could of happened. Ill make assumptions about this all day long because i need to for reasons previously explained. Sorry if this upsets you or lays blame.

Credits

During the court hearing, it was revealed that Norton had been banned from a fan forum the week of worlds. When asked about the mod that banned him, he said 'it's alright, I'll just shoot him on Friday'.
This guys just a prankster all around. A friend for everyone!

Kalyst

Aspiring Trainer
So kind of people to assume anyone's head is in their posterior. I'm, alas, not that flexible though I'm sure there's some with a special talent for it...

I'm not going on some anti gun spree nor am I "muh rights muh freedoms" either. I'm simply looking at this from the lens of international concerns (which is a very valid concern mind you) and the fact that any time people had NOT taken threats seriously, horrible things have happened. Character vouches don't work, especially when every single one I've heard for "they're harmless" ALWAYS came with "but they're both pricks/Kevins a prick to international players/they're doofuses" which does not help your argument for them. I take every "I know these people IRL" with a grain of salt because I haven't heard anything positive said in the same sentence.

Regardless, we know 2 things for sure 1) they had guns that were not registered properly for the states they were passing through and 2) they had made public threats on a FB page (regardless of who was the target or targets or what we want to debate on how many they were capable of shooting). These two things are pretty much set in stone. That being said I think that people being scared for next year, while understandable, should be put at ease. They were stopped. That means TPCI takes care of their playerbase safety. I have no qualms shooting for an invite since SF was where I went to college and, in between the Super Bowl party thats supposed to be there, having the Giants and hosting cons in the past, I have pretty good faith that they know how to handle their security. So I think that this should deter anyone or their children from getting an invite this year :3

Alexander Degtyarev

Retro TCG Player
You dont know that for sure and to side with them over a stupid joke makes you just as bad in my eyes. Sorry, but I have my family to protect and like i said dont want to be in the situation to even deal with it, let alone think of the ramifications something like this could possibly have. I have to assume the worst. There is more than enough to set an example that this is not accepted in society and the response here and in a lot of other places seems to follow the same train of thought.
I do know that for sure lol, they went into the venue UNARMED.

Credits

Beyond reason. Figures.
Its not beyond reason. Ive stated my beliefs and concerns. Your on the other side of the fence, thats fine but you will find anyway to defend an outrageous act. Read back all the comments here. There are handful of you and a multitude of me so that makes me feel good inside to know there are more people that would defend my point of view. I dont need any clarification from you and am old enough to make my own decisions which again have been clearly explained. So enough with the one line banter, please

Spiffo

Aspiring Trainer
You guys think you can read his mind based on silly things like "what he said" and "what he did"? Well you can't, but I can, and guess what, the opposite is true.

Alexander Degtyarev

Retro TCG Player
Its not beyond reason. Ive stated my beliefs and concerns. Your on the other side of the fence, thats fine but you will find anyway to defend an outrageous act. Read back all the comments here. There are handful of you and a multitude of me so that makes me feel good inside to know there are more people that would defend my point of view. I dont need any clarification from you and am old enough to make my own decisions which again have been clearly explained. So enough with the one line banter, please
I'm not defending the joke. I'm defending reason and intelligence, and not succumbing to and living your life lead by fear.

Otaku

The wise fool?
You guys think you can read his mind based on silly things like "what he said" and "what he did"? Well you can't, but I can, and guess what, the opposite is true.

You think you're actually being persuasive instead of confirming fears that those pointing out how "straight forward" a case this is are in fact rushing to judgment and oversimplifying the matter?

At this point, still less than a week later while it seems settled, it wouldn't be the first time evidence turned up that proved it was better or worse than was thought. So for now I'm trying to stick it into neutral.

Spiffo

Aspiring Trainer
You think you're actually being persuasive instead of confirming fears that those pointing out how "straight forward" a case this is are in fact rushing to judgment and oversimplifying the matter?

At this point, still less than a week later while it seems settled, it wouldn't be the first time evidence turned up that proved it was better or worse than was thought. So for now I'm trying to stick it into neutral.

You've been a very reasonable person in this thread so this isn't addressed to you specifically, but: I'm suggesting that the police did everything right, and I don't believe anyone is overreacting. Taking a picture of your weapons to bring to the convention, and saying things like "My AR-15 says you lose" and "Yes [to killing the competition]" is a credible threat.* Had they stayed home, that'd probably be the end of it. Or had they shown up without the weapons, they would have likely been detained, ejected, and that would be it. Bringing the weapons with them is evidence that they intended to follow through with their threat. It's not the same thing as absolute proof they were going to follow through, but people are free to make a judgement based on the evidence available. That they left their weapons in the parking lot is a non-starter - unless they're familiar with the layout already (like at a workplace), nearly all active shooters scope out the place in advance (generally because they have a target or at least target area in mind).

*(just the picture of guns with "ready for <event>" is frankly a credible threat to that event, unless it's specifically a gun-related event).

It's a safer assumption (in both senses of the word) to assume they were going to proceed to the next step. That they were arrested before that could happen is a good thing, and they will get to plead their case in court. This is reason prevailing.

DeathsFinalFlame

Aspiring Trainer
Props to the police for arresting these dumb idiots. (I have more choice words, but think of the children, don!)
lol agreed i bet they are super mad they got banned for life gess even there kids wonte be playing pokemon now gose to show you should never try to be as dum as others act =^_^=