BW/BW2 Pokemon Black and White U.S Names(guess)

Pyri200: The "rules" are as follows:
Portmataeu, if not,
other pun (ie. gashtly, mr mime, milotic)

In other words, it ALWAYS a pun. Most of these names people came up with are not. Thats the point were trying to make.

And for people who dnt know:
Zoroark, Zekrom, Reshiram and the starters have confimed named.
Zorua and Kyurem are give-ins.

@frostwind
How is Mr. Mime a pun? It isn't. And then you seem to have completely ignored other names I mentioned, like Pidgey, Ekans, and Girafarig. In the most general sense, those are corruptions, not puns nor portmanteau, so again I say that pokemon names are not always in accordance to how you say. Almost always? Yes. But limited to that? No.

On topic:
Well, since the starters names are all out, I guess the speculations for their evos can truly begin. I personally would like to see the idea of being royalty being shown in Snivy's evo names and some mention of swordplay in Oshawott's. Something like:

Tsutaja- Snivy (I was totally rooting for Slivy btw)
Janovy- Slitheir (Slither + Heir)
Jaroda- Slizord (Slither + Lizard + Lord) or Zaroyal (Lizard + Royal)

Pokabu- Tepig (I was thinking it'd be something like Peppig, but this was, by far, better imo)
Chaobuu- Sumoink(Sumo + Oink, obviously. Honestly, I didn't even care when it came to Chaobuu, so no effort made)
Enbuoh- Emboar (Come on, it's like a freebie from the japanese. We really should just take it.)

Mijumaru- Oshawott (I said it once, I gagged, twice, I cringed, third time, I'd already fallen in love with the name)
Futachimaru- Kenduo (Kendo + Duo) or Lutronin (Lutra + Ronin)
Daikenki- Kendive (Kendo + Dive. Actually, I kinda would like Daikenki to keep his name. But it's just too foreign for that to happen)

Well those were some names I thought up, or saw around somewhere and thought "Hmm, that sounds pretty good"

Pyro200 said:

Sudden Power Rangers vibe I had here :D
I somehow suspect the lord reference may be lost in translation the way Tsutarja's English name lacks a snake reference.

Your use of "Lutra" in the mijumaru name is interesting but I have yet to see NOA use an animal's genus in naming a pokemon. Probably since it's always in friggin Latin or Greek.

^ Ugh, and I was really hoping no one would notice that "Zord" too. Guess hoping wasn't enough, lol. Actually, right as I was typing Slizord, I asked myself if I had stolen that from some dormant Power Rangers memory, but figured it was safe to disregard it.

In regards to Lutra, I like otters, in fact I've wanted an otter pokemon since I first heard there was going to be a gen 2, so when I first saw Miju's silhouette, english names started pouring through my mind. When I realized that Wotter was basically a default, I essentially deleted Otter from my vocabulary. So all I was left with was Lutra. That's why my Futachimaru and Daikenki names lack "otter" completely. Same can be said for my Oshawott name, Lutrust (I had heard something about his name being derived from naive). The only name I ever came up with that kept Otter in it was Ottler (Otter + Toddler) but that sounded fairly meh.

I like otters too but I don't like the Miju-family in the context of being an otter, nevermind the name.

Initially when Mijumaru was revealed to be an otter I found him too stylised compared to say, Buoysel. "Wow, when they called him Mijumaru," I remarked to my friend "they certainly weren't kidding about the 'Maru' part".

I found myself wishing it would evolve into something more otter-like, even drew an entire art piece to speculate, and then hope. Ultimately hopes were dashed though. As far as my eyes were concerned, it was only an otter because the texts said so.

Frankly I'm still not sure how they're going to name the evolved forms of Oshawa. Who knows... maybe they already have more canadian locations in mind.

Lol, that's completely understandable. In fact, when you mentioned Buizel, I couldn't help but chuckle since I had accepted him as the closest thing to an Otter Pokemon that I'd ever get and was perfectly happy with that until a "legit" otter came along.

The roundness of Oshawott is a bit... odd, I'll say. Though I like it, cuz, had it been designed more accurately to a real Otter, I feel like it would've looked too similar to Buizel. But, yes, you are completely right, in every one of it's stages, god knows that includes Daikenki, it lacks the physical structure of an otter. To this day, I don't know how I guessed that silhouette to be that of an Otter Pokemon. If it wasn't the Classification telling you that it's the Sea Otter Pokemon, you would probably be free to speculate it's origins as much as you want, sans the shell on its stomach.

In the "dashed hopes" department, I feel your pain. Not only was I sure Oshawott would evolve into a samurai otter after seeing Futachimaru (technically, I guess he did), but I had really hoped to see it stay bipedal and gain the fighting-type. Who knows, Buizel may be the reason it didn't become more otter-like, Futachimaru was fairly close to that design already and it kind of worried me.

Name wise, I really don't think anyone should expect too much. What little bit of otter they were basically faded away upon the first evolution, so maybe Osha- will stay in the names but there's no way they'll keep -Wott for the entire line...

Ekans is a pun on snake cuz its backwards. Pidgey is pidgeon baby or something like that.
Girafarig is a palindrrome, which is a pun. If corruption makes you happy, thats what it is. Wheb you put two words together though, its not a pun, portmateau, palindrome, something of the like.
Portmateau, palindrome, pun, or other form of corruptions, not stuff like Smugleaf.

I like your name ideas. Kendive sounds really nice, and so does sumoink and slitheir.
Best ideas imo as of now:

snivy-slitheir-serplant
tepig-sumoink-emboar
osshawott-dojotter-kendive (dojotter sounds nice and i rather have kendive seem more orginal that way) or if the final is samurtide, kendual (going off kendo and dual instead of duo for its twin shell blades).

And supposedly, daikenki is based more on a sea lion and a sea dog (sailor term for an otter)

A palindrome is not a pun.

A pun is supposed to involve multiple meanings. A palindrome has only 1 meaning. It doesn't have a different meaning when you read it backwards.

But the name is a pun on the pokemon itself, like girafarig has two heads. Think yall know what i mean though.
I also like the idea for zebolt-zebrash.
Warglet-baby wargle
Soulem- gorrugogo (soul golem)
Iront- ainto
Anteater (anteater+heater) that was bad
Sost (soul+ lost/ghost, egyptianish) or
Ghost (ghost+ lost) for desukans prevo.

How does having 2 heads have a relevance to the pokemon's name being palindromic?

Girafarig's name is a palindrome based on 2 reasons I believe:

- its japanese name is a palindrome
- the word 'giraffe'

Also Ghost (ghost+ lost) is hilarious because you are still left with the original word "ghost"

Yah ghost is still ghost. Wish we knew more about it.
Princelly for puriru prince(ss) + jelly(fish)
royalelly for Burungeru royale + jelly
Both puns on princely and royally.

^ Those aren't puns those are two words put together like Swooprey for wargle. Puns are a joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word. For koromori, it's hard to think of a good english name, maybe Heartenna.

Its a play on the words princelly and royally.
Royally is royally, royale, and jelly (fish). Thats why its a pun. And there 2 words that are liked by a letter Thinkd id go tell everyone something and do the opposite?
Why would wargle change names?
What kind of bat is koromori?

No it's not a play on words a pun is like "Water you doing?" what you mentioned is clearly two words joined. Also, because Wargle is the romanization of the japanese name, so it should change. Koromori is clearly a bat or a Honduran white bat which some people here linked together months ago, so yeah i would like Koromori to be Heartenna and for Kokoromori to be Wingenna.

I have names for Aianto, Monozu, Jiheddo, and Sazando:

Antron (from Ant and Iron)

Craniuno (from Cranium, meaning head, and uno, Spanish for one)
Headros (from head, and dros, meaning two)
Hydrio (from hydra, and trio)

^^k forget you and quit treating me like im the crazy one. Just askin a question to make sure. Clearly is an opinion. You arent everyone. Just thought you were smart enough to get what i was saying, maybe i was wrong. You need to cool off and stop getting your boxers in a twist...
Besides, heartenna doesnt make sense to me so can you show me how

Anyways, i was thinking trydra for sazandra .
Being try and hydra.

Back