PokeBeach is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Finally...

Card Slinger J said:
Wow, so why did WPM go past the site's bandwith limit to pay a $1700 fine? Why is he getting himself into trouble like this? That's what I don't understand still... o_0

dude, it's not a webmaster's choice to get into bandwidth trouble. it's probably because he was trolled by japanese folks on 2chan and certain websites decided to use the opportunity to badly wound a rival site and make the trolling into "breaking news" (claiming the insane drama was necessary to save their own asses... keep telling yourselves that. may he who has never used material obtained illegally as news throw the first stone. there are more professional ways to disassociate yourself from something without citing often-racist 2chan trolls as a source and causing the online equivalent of an elementary school food fight).

when that happened if i'm not mistaken traffic to pokebeach probably went well over what the bandwidth it usually uses in a month in just one single day.

Great its back *sigh of relief* im very sorry about the $1700 charge.I hope yore doing okay out there:D

FireGrey said:
Why haven't you posted in a week?
Like Pokemon Sunday >.>
He only posts new information. Since we already saw the information in corocoro there is no need for it.
Sure there's the whole new legendary thing but he would probably do it when there is a silhouette or a picture of it.

What about info on Pokabu's new move, nitro charger?

he could atleast post on the site saying what happened >.>

FireGrey said:
What about info on Pokabu's new move, nitro charger?

he could atleast post on the site saying what happened >.>

He's probably been busy and trying to help the site get back online. Give him a break. News will go up when he gets it.

dmaster out.

monpyro97 said:
Im so happy without PokeBeach the life for me is nothing
Then you might want to reconsider your priorities. ;D

In any case, it's time to get back to work I suppose. >_>

Thank god this is back up! Thank you Chairman Kaga! Once the shoddy server returns, I will be happy, especially because I will not have to go on that Smogon server anymore.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/PokeBeachcom/144682128031

Everyone should really read this if they don't know what's going on.

dmaster out.

dmaster said:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/PokeBeachcom/144682128031

Everyone should really read this if they don't know what's going on.

dmaster out.

ThaNks i really needed that

The full story, for those that care:

Until this past weekend, this site was hosted on a dedicated server I rented from 1&1 Internet (who I advise you to never ever ever ever ever do business with -- ever). It is a server that I host about 20 different sites on, but PokeBeach is by far the largest and most intensive, accounting for 95% of the total load. Last month saw some insane traffic coinciding with the outflow of Black and White information. I had 4 TB of transfer a month included with the old package -- last month we used almost 7 TB. So they decided to surprise me this month with a bill for almost $1800, charging me for the significant bandwidth overage.

Well, bandwidth overages are as much a load of crap as minute overages with your cell phone, and to spring an $1800 bill on someone unsuspecting is unconscionable. So I called and asked what we could work out with regards to paying the bill. They informed me that they do not accommodate such requests, and that they expected payment in full within 7 days or they would terminate the server in accordance with the contract. I politely informed them that this would be the last bill they would ever send me. Then I less politely suggested several body orifices into which they could insert the $1800 bill.

With the threat of termination looming, I was forced to very quickly shut down the server, backup all the site data (about 50GB worth) to someplace I couldn't get locked out of, and then find a new host. That is the fairly-well-mitigated-in-the-end disaster that happened this weekend.

Our new host is NetDepot. The new server is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (4x2.83 GHz) with 8 GB of RAM and a 750GB SATA II RAID 1. This is significantly better than the old server. So if the site seems faster now, that's because it is. But the best part? A 100Mbps unmetered uplink. Unlimited bandwidth. No crap bandwidth overages. I think that's a better arrangement for all involved.

There was a problem with the RAID controller locking up that accounted for the instability since bringing the site back up, but NetDepot has been very good in working through the issue. There may be one more bout of unscheduled downtime if it turns out that the controller needs replacement, but other than that the site should remain online from this point forward.

As for the $1800 I owe 1&1, it'll get paid. Eventually.

On my computer it says "server not found" so I used my other computer and it worked. But I can't acsess it on my other computer. What's the problem?

TheDarkLucario said:
On my computer it says "server not found" so I used my other computer and it worked. But I can't acsess it on my other computer. What's the problem?

Because of how things went down, there was no time to properly switch over DNS. If you are getting a server not found error then it is likely still finding the old IP address. This will gradually sort itself out over the next few days.

Pride said:
We all owe Kaga a huge thanks for this

Honestly, if I'd been paying attention and had everything set up right, we wouldn't have slammed into this wall. So, my bad. But we got a way better server (for less price, too). Sometimes breakups can be good.

Glad pokebeach recoved soon. There was really no point then going on the computer.

By the way Kaga I remember you from a long time ago what happened to your account?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back