Pokemon Pokémon That Look Better Than Their Evolved Forms

RE: Pokemon that look better than thier evolved forms

Drohn said:
I definitely agree on Lickytung>Lickilicky. I don't like the design of the evolved form at all. Lickitung looked alright! How do you feel about Magnemite/Magneton > Magnezone? I think Magnezone looks a bit strange. I was content with Magnemite and Magneton.

I think I actually prefer Magneton's look over Magnezone. I mean, I like Magnezone just fine, but I can't stand that little yellow antenna on top of it, and I don't like its magnet "tail".

I like Lotad and Lombre over Ludicolo for sure. It's just so random. You get a lilly pad, then it sprouts legs, ok, cool...but then wtf? It gets fat, changes it's color scheme, and suddenly loves dancing? Definitely not my favorite evolution line. Although I'm sure Gamefreak had a culture/science/mythology based reason for it...

I love Jellicent but I love keeping my Frillish as a Frillish more so. Their cuteness and their Pokedex entry makes them more cooler IMO.

P.DelSlayer said:
I've always preferred Bayleef over Meganium, Grovyle over Sceptile, and Servine over Serperior.
(I like Serperior, but I've always liked Servine a lot more)
Bayleef I dunno really, I just prefer her design. Grovyle looks badass and all (plus PMD2 Grovyle is aces), and Servine is the same as Bayleef.
middle stage grass starters ftw
(except Grotle, he is a disgrace to the whole line)

also, Dewott is better than that sea lion thing disgrace known as Samurott

I also like Charmeleon a lot more than Charizard. (probably because Dark Charmeleon in the TCG) It looks more ferocious, with the sharp claws and the darker red coloring, and then it turns into a stereotypical dragon.

Outside of PMD, I always thought Grovyle looked kinda derpy. And how dare you dis Samurott! I know he's a strange final evolution for that line, but he's really become one of my favorites and he's pretty darn epic.

Drohn said:
I definitely agree on Lickytung>Lickilicky. I don't like the design of the evolved form at all. Lickitung looked alright! How do you feel about Magnemite/Magneton > Magnezone? I think Magnezone looks a bit strange. I was content with Magnemite and Magneton.

I actually like it. At first I wasn't a fan, but after thinking about it, the design makes sense. It's certainly better than "hey let's add more heads!" and logically, one head becoming dominant fits in with the electromagnetic location-based evolution. In my own head, at least!

And yes, I have to agree with Magmar > Magmortar as well...much for the same reason as my previous post on Lickilicky. Magmortar's lower half is made up entirely of too-simple shapes. Egg body, egg legs, boring design. The pink color of the legs also hurts its appeal.

Electivire isn't just a bulkier Electabuzz, while I just see Magmortar as a less aesthetically pleasing, obese Magmar.

Definitely Lillipup for me. That's not to say I don't like Herdier and Stoutland, but Lillipup is just so darn cute and then he evolves into... that...

I kinda feel sorry for him.

Tatertot said:
I like Lotad and Lombre over Ludicolo for sure. It's just so random. You get a lilly pad, then it sprouts legs, ok, cool...but then wtf? It gets fat, changes it's color scheme, and suddenly loves dancing? Definitely not my favorite evolution line. Although I'm sure Gamefreak had a culture/science/mythology based reason for it...

First of all, rumba Mirror B. Rumba with your Ludicolo army. Second of all, big fat mexican pineapple dance-crazed duck. How could you not love it!? Anyway, I want to put some here:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
008.gif
Over
009.gif

I just feel that Wartortle has a cool and somewhat sleek appearance and its ears and tail are really cute. Then they turned him into a giant Tortoise. Meh.

037.gif
Over
038.gif

It's a red fox. It's cute and looks fiery. Ninetales just looses that fire-esque flare to it that makes it look more Ghost-Typed (still waiting for a re-type, Game-Freak).

090.gif
Over
091.gif

Shellder is so cute with its little tongue sticking out and big eyeballs! Then it turns into, well... "Cloyster."

159.gif
Over
160.gif

Croconaw always spoke to me, sort of. It actually looks coll wearing sumo-esque attire. Yeah, I'm looking at you Pignite. Ughh. Plus it looses cool anatomical features after evolving.

170.gif
Over
171.gif

Just Chinchou in general. To the funny name to the cute little feet. This thing can actually walk on land and light the way for lost trainers. Lanturn can swim. Plus, I don't like the flashing lights around Lanturn's sprite in BW2.

MASSIVELY SECONDING Chinchou. It's not only adorable and interestingly weird - I love those eyes - but it feels more like a deep sea fish. Lanturn is just some sort of bland cartoon fish with a thingy on its head.

Mine:

356.gif
- no offense to Dusknoir fans, but I find its design too busy and awkward. I also don't care much for the more "menacing" eye; I like the eerier, creepier personality of Dusclops, by far. I'm glad Eviolite makes Dusclops equally if not more useful in battle anyhow, though I worry they won't bring the item back in XY.

And yet...

355.gif
- Dusclops is one of my favorite ghosts, but still does not compare to how cool and adorable Duskull is. They really don't seem like they should share the same evolutionary family. We have no other ghost type with a spooky, humanoid skull face, and that one eye rocking from socket to socket is brilliant. When they first revealed Duskull, I so hoped it was either a stand-alone or would evolve into something closer to it, like a full-body "reaper."

287.gif
- such an absolutely DARLING, more or less realistic sloth. Its evo's are interesting, but I wish we had a line that remained more slothy. Slaking doesn't even look like a sloth at all, but a primate.

041.gif
- Zubat is actually one of my favorite designs from gen one, and one of my favorite aspects of it is the complete lack of eyes. Bats already rely much more on their ears, so it would make sense that a "super-evolved" bat would lose eyes entirely. I still don't see why they discarded this cool idea for its evolutions. Golbat would've rocked as just a terrifying, flying mouth!

044.gif
- Gloom was actually my single favorite pokemon of all time until Garbodor came along. Everything about it is cool to me, but especially the idea of a flower creature - traditionally a cutesy concept - having a sad, drooling face, on top of stinking horribly. Vileplume is neat, since it's based on the Rafflesia and I love its evil little red eyes, but I wish it had retained some more of Gloom's traits.

048.gif
- there's nothing wrong with Venomoth per se, but again, we have a pokemon so different it should have been its own unique line with a more fitting evolution. Venonat is one of the most interesting looking of all bug types to me, with its weirdly human-like limbs but extremely insectoid face. It was actually one of the first pokemon I ever saw, and I imagined its evolution as some hulking shaggy beast. It could have been a lovely play on "bugbear."

Grovyle>Sceptile. Definitely not inspired by PMD at all. Nope. No way. Not in the slightest. Ssshhhh...

Also Meowth>Persian. Meowth is a cat standing on two legs with an Amulet Coin glued to its forehead. Persian is just a normal cat with a little red gem on its forehead, and Espeon came along and did the exact same thing one generation later.

I like [animate]frillish[/animate] a lot. I don't like that they turned it into [animate]jellicent[/animate]. :( I still used Frillish with an Everstone in the generation 5 games.

Drohn said:
I like [animate]frillish[/animate] a lot. I don't like that they turned it into [animate]jellicent[/animate]. :( I still used Frillish with an Everstone in the generation 5 games.

Someone doesn't like pringles
593.gif
, or, giant floating queens
593f.gif

Buizel over Floatzel, and Bayleef over Meganium.

For the longest time, I HATED Floatzel's design; it reminded me of an old grandma or something. It's slowly been growing on me, but Buizel will always look better.

I'm just a big fan of Bayleef, I don't know why. Meganium looks more than nice, it looks great! But still, Bayleef looks better.

xayshade said:
Buizel over Floatzel, Combusken over Blaziken, Magneton over Magnezone.

Gosh there's a lot.

Most fire types though. I hate fire types.

O lord I hate combusken. But to each his own I guess. I like mudkip and his evo more than whatever his final form is called.

I like Turtwig > Grotle just because Grotle looks unappealing. I also prefer Sneasel > Weavile, Dewott > Oshawott, Wingull > Pelipper, Feebas > Milotic, Grovyle > Sceptile (but not by much), and finally Pidgeotto > Pidgeot.

(Must agree, Buizel is much more awesome than Floatzel).

Ohman177 said:
Thetwiggy13 said:
Feebas > Milotic,

Is that even possible

Actually it is. I feel bad for Feebas, being labeled "ugly" or "shabby." Feebas has more inner beauty than any Pokémon.

I love Feebas. The sunken eyes, torn fins and mottled skin are all just really cool and I'd have liked to see a big, fully evolved fish with that look; maybe like a gloomy Dunkleosteus.

CMP said:
Drohn said:

I actually like it. At first I wasn't a fan, but after thinking about it, the design makes sense. It's certainly better than "hey let's add more heads!" and logically, one head becoming dominant fits in with the electromagnetic location-based evolution. In my own head, at least!

And yes, I have to agree with Magmar > Magmortar as well...much for the same reason as my previous post on Lickilicky. Magmortar's lower half is made up entirely of too-simple shapes. Egg body, egg legs, boring design. The pink color of the legs also hurts its appeal.

Electivire isn't just a bulkier Electabuzz, while I just see Magmortar as a less aesthetically pleasing, obese Magmar.

How could you not like Magmortar? IT HAS FREAKING CANNONS FOR ARMS

Anyways, I like Scyther better than Scizor because it has swords for arms. When I first saw Scyther it was the best Pokemon just because of that. I also HATE Budew. I just... I dunno. Hate it.

I also like Snorunt over Glalie, but not over Froslass. Snivy is so much better than Servine in my opinion. It goes from sassy to nothing. For some reason, I like Corphish over Crawdaunt too.

Sky Pillar said:
I agree that magmar looks better than magmortar.

I completely agree. Although I like Magby more than both of them. Magby looks cool, while the others have duck faces (though Magby still does to a lesser extent). Are they based on ducks vaguely? I think so..

For me, the one that comes to me the quickest is Mienfoo, I really don't like the coloration or the hair-whips of Mienshao.

Back